Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Loversleaper

Tactical Central & Insight: FM 2016

Hello

I started a save with AC Milan which used tactics 41221 placed here where chosen attack, control the counter attack ended the first epoch in fourth place. do you think I hurt the team approach. should have chosen other mentalities?

The 4-1-2-2-1 tactics (direct passing) was made more for the teams outside of the absolute Master Class - I presume Milan with a media prediction of 2nd might need a little adjustments to compliment that scenario of being in the absolute Master Class. I noticed that I made a slight mistake above with Counter strategy where I had Higher Tempo - and seemed to forget to add the Full Backs in all tactics Cross More Often... After I am finished with this post I will post a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic set (shorter passing) with settings that I think would compliment the absolute top teams...

I am not saying that you can't do well with the direct version of the tactics, it's just that when you start having a big reputation team that should play other teams off the park - then you might want to adjust some settings here and there. One of the instructions I would remove for Master Class teams if you want to use the direct passing version is the Stick to Positions and maybe go to a fluid team shape plus include a different forward role.

Hi LL. You're a familar name from my previous FM life, several years ago. Having looked around a few tactical threads I find myself back at yours.

Could you please clarify this for me, I think I'm having a blonde moment -

I'm not sure of the duties on the MCl and the MCr in the strategy frameworks.

I've read all your opening posts, now I'm off to read the rest of the discussion :-) Thank you for taking the time and effort to share all this and providing the support in your thread.

EDIT: having read all the discussion and checked out the screenshots (which I should really have done first anyway!) the MCl always has a support duty, whereas above you say 'on attack duty in the Standard/Control/Attack/Overload Strategies'? Sorry if I'm getting confused.

With the 3 midfield in front of a DM - I mentioned just an idea I had in regards to how one could set it up. So, to clarify that :

- MCL is a support duty player

- MC is on attack duty (in Overload, Attack, Control and Standard) or on support duty with Get Further Forward option ticked (in the Counter and Defensive) or just on plain support duty in Contain

- MCR follows the main team mentality : attack duty in Overload/Attack strategy, support duty in Control/Standard/Counter, and defend duty in Defensive/Contain

If I am playing a team like Barcelona or a team that has the potential to achieve that type of reputation and squad - then this is basically how I would play them. Players settings basically as usual with the Center Backs Closing Down one notch less than the rest of the team and have Tight Marking also ticked. Full Backs Crossing Often. In all the strategies (since I have one of the best teams in the world) then I have the Keeper Roll the Ball Out and have him distribute to the Center Backs.

At home for all games I have used the Attack strategy - I might play Control if I encounter another Top Master Class team and find myself not being Huge Favorites (like maybe when I have to play Real Madrid at home later in the season - but that I will decide when the time comes)

Away I used Control as large favorite (which was most of the time) - as slight favorite or slight underdog I went with Standard. As slight favorite if I wasn't really making an impact I did change up to Control to win the game, but I only did it two times so far (as it seemed necessary). But with great form, I will be basically playing Control most of the time in the league. I used a Counter tactic once (away to Real Madrid) because I had Messi and Neymar jaded after international duty (both were around 80%), Iniesta & Busquets out with injuries so I didn't have many options and tried what I could. I will complete the tactical set below.

RvJsgVy.jpg

G1b5nZI.jpg

ojlKj4c.jpg

Here I will have these three tactics 'stored' away so I can use them once I have entered the match if I feel it is necessary. But, above are basically the three sets that should be enough to basically be totally dominant...

Remember, that with support duty Wingers/Inside Forwards I still make sure that they have the Get Further Forward instruction ticked. I also have two options in regards to the Counter strategy which more boils down to what type of players I have available.

0dBBwdb.jpg

h0NsclN.jpg

v4rkHd9.jpg

I just wanted to point out a few things regarding the 4-1-2-3 DM tactics posted above. These are going to be the 'few things':

1: Familiarity - It takes a while for your team to adjust to these settings/formation, so to begin with you might struggle before you experience the good sides of the tactics

2: Manager Reputation - I started with the highest trainer badge, but with a Sunday League reputation. Still did really, really well

3: Possession - For me, it has varied so far. I think this is due to several things and one of them is how SI (with it's ME) calculate how they reach the numbers in the Match Stats. Another big issue is the Closing Down aspect where the opposition can easily play the ball around behind the pressure line (even with extreme settings) - this is something we can do easily as well and achieve very good possession stats away from home. I tend to have higher possession stats away from home. I am hoping that my reputation (Sunday League) and Familiarity increase will help in the possession department down the road, let's see. Maybe when the AI starts really playing Ultra Defensive it might change, but want to see how the Closing Down reacts in those situations to be sure first.

But aside from possession stats (which is still okay, mind you) - the rest of the stats look really good and the team has been scoring goals almost for fun whilst keeping a pretty tight defense.

I would like to get into the aspect of being in one of the Cup Finals, which a team like Barcelona or an other club with that type of quality will no doubt experience from time to time. Cup finals are usually played on Neutral pitches so the 'playing at home' advantage is lost - that means playing Attack or Defensive, I feel, is not necessary. I suggest that if you are large favorite that you use a Control strategy, you can use it as a slight favorite - but in this situation you have to be very sure that your team has a much bigger reputation and better squad. If the odds are close (slight Favorite or underdog), I would start with a Standard strategy, especially if you consider both teams to be quite equal. Here you can move quickly up (Control) or down (Counter) if you feel that something is not right - but try not to make changes in the first 30 minutes if possible. I have experienced that I have started in this type of scenario where the opponent comes flying out, but after 15-20 minutes my team starts to take over - so, be aware of this happening in the game from time to time. As slight underdogs you can start with the Counter, but here you have to be sure that you will be under pressure otherwise your tactical strategy might fizzle out because it's hard to counter a team that is not pushing forward. As large underdogs I would go with the Counter.

In the situation below, playing Sevilla in the Euro Super Cup. Slight favorites, but as Barcelona I am pretty convinced that my club reputation is much larger than this opponent and my team is no doubt much better (especially the front trio).

QqzYMOu.jpg

vYFzeON.jpg

Loversleaper, do you think if I applied the same logic from the opening posts to FM2011 it would still work?

All my posts and threads from 2008 to 2013 are erased which means that I can't find them anywhere anymore to see what I did for FM 2011. Since 2006 all the way up to now, I did use a similar tactical/strategy outlook. In FM 2011 you still had the sliders.

Here are the team mentality settings for that era:

Defensive (6)

Counter (7-9)

Standard (10-11)

Control (12-13)

ControlAttack (14)

Attack (15)

High Pressure Attack (16-18)

Contain was set at (1) and All Out Attack was (20)

I remember there was something important in regards to Defensive Line and Closing Down that made the tactics work which was the most important thing to get right after being in the general right Mentality area. I don't have any of those tactics so I can't take a look.

that's exactly what I meant

Training is an area I really don't do much because, as I have understood it, training basically only increases (or decreases) player attributes. I usually let the coaching team take care of that area and get on with the game.

With a back three, would you have all 3 on defend duty? Would you still have all three close down less and mark tighter?

If we are talking about FM 16, then that is what I would do. I did play around with a 3 at the back at one point which included two Wing Backs and DM which worked quite well - but having said that there were several things in this version of the ME that I think is quite annoying. The behavior of the center backs is pretty weird at times - 1 is that they seem to advance forward when the opposition with the ball has entered the areas close by the goal line (which is quite unrealistic) and 2 the collision aspect in the game seems only to have effect outside of the penalty area. In the penalty area (especially when defending crosses) attacking players seem to pass through the defenders like a ghost would move through a solid wall - and this goes for both the AI and the human user.

Hoping that SI have this under review...

What about stoppers / coverers / sweepers / liberi ?

I tend to think the most intuitive way to play is for the outer 2 defenders to close down a bit more, so as to get out to the flanks when the opposition bypass your wide players. In your world, I suppose that would equate to less closing down for the central defender only, and tight marking for all?

Having said that, if the outer defenders are stoppers, they have greater closing down to begin with so maybe try to reduce it for everyone (if that's even possible with the stopper, since then he wouldn't really be a stopper anymore).

Training is an area I really don't do much because, as I have understood it, training basically only increases (or decreases) player attributes. I usually let the coaching team take care of that area and get on with the game.

Loversleaper,

I came across your tactics a few seasons ago and it completely changed the way I play the game and brought an immense amount of enjoyment to the game because you chose your tactics based on the odds of the next game provided you had settled on the formation for your team. It looks like you are doing the same for FM 16. Do you plan on posting tactics we can download for each formation again? Thank you again for giving those of us out there without quite the time to iron out the tactics a change to really enjoy the game.

I've enjoyed this thread, particularly where it concerns roles, duties, mentality etc... I gave those ideas a whirl with a basic set of tactics similar to a Mourinho 4-3-3 and it seemed to improve my grip on the game a little. With that in mind, I'm going to start afresh and do something based around three-at-the-back tactics. It's easy to picture a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 morphing into a 3-4-3 (attacking) or a 5-2-1-2, 5-1-2-2, or 5-4-1 (defensive) with the same group of players, as long as they can competently move up and down the strata. So I'm looking for a lower league side with D/WB/M type players in particular and maybe some AM/F C's too. I'm thinking along the lines of:

Overload / attacking: 3-4-3

Control: 3-4-1-2

Standard: 3-1-4-2

Counter: 5(WB)-3-2-2

Defensive: 5(WB)-1-2-1-1

Contain: 5-4-1

A problem I find with formations like 3-4-1-2 though, is what to do with the defensive line and the wide midfielders to avoid constantly leaving the opposing wingers free to cross. Defensive winger with support duty is all very well, but then he closes down higher up the pitch and leaves space behind him. Then if you put him on defend duty you have 5 players defending before you even look at central midfield. Even worse, if you're playing 3-1-4-2, because then it's 6 out-and-out defensive players. Surely there's a way to get that formation to defend the wings sensibly in a balanced formation?

Really enjoyed reading that.

By far one of the best guides I have read when it comes to football manager.

When you think about it, as I'm reading it, all the things you say just makes sense.

Off to apply it to my save now...

Which type of manager would you recommend for Rangers? They are predicted finish top and a lot of teams will set up to defend against them. However not sure they have the players to pull off attacking mentality. Was going to use direct passing but take off stick to position.

Loversleaper,

I came across your tactics a few seasons ago and it completely changed the way I play the game and brought an immense amount of enjoyment to the game because you chose your tactics based on the odds of the next game provided you had settled on the formation for your team. It looks like you are doing the same for FM 16. Do you plan on posting tactics we can download for each formation again? Thank you again for giving those of us out there without quite the time to iron out the tactics a change to really enjoy the game.

The AI, in my experience, would either Attack or Defend depending on how they saw themselves against your team - being a favorite or underdog. Looking at the prematch odds was just one way of determining how the opposition might set themsleves up tactically (strategy) against you in the fixture. I look at it more in terms of 'how large the underdog/favorite' role your team would have in the fixture - this would give me a good idea on how much I could be Attacking or how much I should be defending.

Of course, the odds don't necessarily give you a secure victory because the quality of your team also had an influence that offered some form of diversity in regards to choosing strategies and that is why I put my team into one of the 3 manager categories first. The ME has always reacted quite well to this approach and in the long run I always did better than worse.

I've enjoyed this thread, particularly where it concerns roles, duties, mentality etc... I gave those ideas a whirl with a basic set of tactics similar to a Mourinho 4-3-3 and it seemed to improve my grip on the game a little. With that in mind, I'm going to start afresh and do something based around three-at-the-back tactics. It's easy to picture a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 morphing into a 3-4-3 (attacking) or a 5-2-1-2, 5-1-2-2, or 5-4-1 (defensive) with the same group of players, as long as they can competently move up and down the strata. So I'm looking for a lower league side with D/WB/M type players in particular and maybe some AM/F C's too. I'm thinking along the lines of:

Overload / attacking: 3-4-3

Control: 3-4-1-2

Standard: 3-1-4-2

Counter: 5(WB)-3-2-2

Defensive: 5(WB)-1-2-1-1

Contain: 5-4-1

A problem I find with formations like 3-4-1-2 though, is what to do with the defensive line and the wide midfielders to avoid constantly leaving the opposing wingers free to cross. Defensive winger with support duty is all very well, but then he closes down higher up the pitch and leaves space behind him. Then if you put him on defend duty you have 5 players defending before you even look at central midfield. Even worse, if you're playing 3-1-4-2, because then it's 6 out-and-out defensive players. Surely there's a way to get that formation to defend the wings sensibly in a balanced formation?

This is something I am looking forward to do myself and hope that the next Update will balance the ME values more so that some of the ideas you have posted become easier to create. I have a tactic set similar to your formation theory above and think that the choices you made with the formations would and should make a lot of sense. We are close to the Update so let's see how it turns out - maybe we can post more details on those type of formations soon...

Really enjoyed reading that.

By far one of the best guides I have read when it comes to football manager.

When you think about it, as I'm reading it, all the things you say just makes sense.

Off to apply it to my save now...

Thanks for the kind words. I would like to point out that this type of game-play might take some practice before you start to feel comfortable with it. Of course, you will go through tough periods in regards to your team adjusting to new settings - this is a reality that is very hard to get around for some. It takes patience and experience, but once you get to grips on how settings react in the ME during the different scenarios that will no-doubt be thrown at you during your career, the more enjoyable the game becomes. Usually you will not always see things immediately because the ME is constantly evaluating chances of success or failure of the settings on both sides (your settings and the opposition's settings) - this can cause a certain level of random outcomes, naturally, but in the long run patterns do emerge and you should do better than worse.

Good luck!

Which type of manager would you recommend for Rangers? They are predicted finish top and a lot of teams will set up to defend against them. However not sure they have the players to pull off attacking mentality. Was going to use direct passing but take off stick to position.

I haven't tried a Rangers save, so it would be difficult to give you a thorough insight on what you can do in terms of strategies. I think if you are much better than your opponents regularly then you can easily play the Master-Class role and go for a high pressuring game. I, personally, will play a few friendly home games against some of the other teams in your league and try it to see how the team responds generally. If your team really struggles over a couple of games then you might want to go with an aggressive Control type of game and see how long it lasts before the opposition starts to put up the barricades. But thinking of Rangers and their reputation in Scotland, I think that going with Attack for home matches will no doubt become part of your tactical strategy at some point...

LL,

Great thread. So far, so good managing a 2018-19 Newcastle side I took over while in 20th and have them up to 13th after about 10 matches. Using Tactician strategy, but already finding that if I use Defend or even Counter on relegation battlers that I will not fare so well. For example, when I played Leeds Away they were 15th or so. I was favored so heavily that I decided to use Standard and crushed them 5-2.

So, I have won 6 on the bounce and face Swansea Away who are 20th after 31 matches. Their last 5 LXLLL. I am predicted to be a very heavy favorite and pre match says they wouldn't be surprised if I was up by 2 or 3 goals. I take this to mean that I should definitely be winning this match if I choose the right tactic, right? So, I figure that I should play Standard. I do. I have 5 CCC, but only score once in a 1-1 draw. Puzzled, I decide to play it again on Control. Again, control match and draw 1-1 on a late equalizer by me. So, I am confused. Should I really be playing Counter or Defend? Or, are some fixtures like this just tricky and there is not a lot I can do about it? With such heavy favorite odds it feels like a game I have thrown away with a draw.

The AI, in my experience, would either Attack or Defend depending on how they saw themselves against your team - being a favorite or underdog. Looking at the prematch odds was just one way of determining how the opposition might set themsleves up tactically (strategy) against you in the fixture. I look at it more in terms of 'how large the underdog/favorite' role your team would have in the fixture - this would give me a good idea on how much I could be Attacking or how much I should be defending.

Of course, the odds don't necessarily give you a secure victory because the quality of your team also had an influence that offered some form of diversity in regards to choosing strategies and that is why I put my team into one of the 3 manager categories first. The ME has always reacted quite well to this approach and in the long run I always did better than worse.

Do you plan on posting downloadable tactics?

LL,

Great thread. So far, so good managing a 2018-19 Newcastle side I took over while in 20th and have them up to 13th after about 10 matches. Using Tactician strategy, but already finding that if I use Defend or even Counter on relegation battlers that I will not fare so well. For example, when I played Leeds Away they were 15th or so. I was favored so heavily that I decided to use Standard and crushed them 5-2.

So, I have won 6 on the bounce and face Swansea Away who are 20th after 31 matches. Their last 5 LXLLL. I am predicted to be a very heavy favorite and pre match says they wouldn't be surprised if I was up by 2 or 3 goals. I take this to mean that I should definitely be winning this match if I choose the right tactic, right? So, I figure that I should play Standard. I do. I have 5 CCC, but only score once in a 1-1 draw. Puzzled, I decide to play it again on Control. Again, control match and draw 1-1 on a late equalizer by me. So, I am confused. Should I really be playing Counter or Defend? Or, are some fixtures like this just tricky and there is not a lot I can do about it? With such heavy favorite odds it feels like a game I have thrown away with a draw.

It seems like you are doing quite well so far. In the thread I mentioned that I usually go for a Control Strategy when I find that my team starts becoming huge Away favorites - so that is what I would suggest you do, of course. Even with the best teams in the world and you are doing really well tactically, I still except the fact that it is not always that I get the desired result - what is most important is the end result when points are counted at the end of the season. For example, I am playing a Barcelona save with the little time that I have to actually play the game, and I think my record is 20 wins 6 draws and 2 loses. Almost all of the games my team has dominated the match stats, but still I will expect to drop points here and there - still clear at the top by 9 points or so...

First season is usually the hard part (in the Barce save I have the highest coaching badge but chose to be a Sunday League reputation manager) - but as soon as the team has gelled and become familiar with the tactics/strategies, the less frequent you will be dropping points in my experience. It's not all about one game ;)

Do you plan on posting downloadable tactics?

As soon as the update comes around I will take a look at the situation again. I would like to see a more balanced ME, that's for sure, but pretty sure that there will be some tactics put up and hopefully in the next week or there about...

I am still looking for a good site that I can upload to, though...

What's the problem with mediafire, I still have tactics going back to FM08 on their site.

What's the problem with mediafire, I still have tactics going back to FM08 on their site.

Yeah, I just checked and it looks like I still have my account there, I can see... For a moment, I thought that mediafire changed their policies because I did try to upload something back a few months ago and somehow messed it up which lead me to think that I needed to upgrade to a payment subscription to continue...

I just went there now and looks like the good old days - thanks, knap, for bringing that to my attention as it seems I can still easily still use the site :thup:

LL

Thank you for the reply. I had been doing a lot of experimenting with tactics and getting exceedingly frustrated. Decided to take a look at your ideas and it brought me back to the basics. And, success! Playing a 442 with Newcastle with Control/Standard/Defend.

I will come back with some results when I have a bigger sample size. Great thread. Made game fun for me, again.

Loversleaper, congratulations on a great post.

I've really enjoyed applying certain aspects of it to my Wolves save, after three seasons in the Premiership we've got into the Europa League!

I'm curious as to how you judge the pre-match odds though. Is there any minimum threshold (odds wise) that you use to decide if you're a weak/moderate/strong favourite for the match?

I don't use the fractions, instead I use the decimals. Do you look to attack if you're over 10, but control if you're over 3, for instance?

Thanks again!

Fantastic post Loversleaper. I had a question for you. Do you think a target man and an advanced forward work well as a strike partnership?

I've just started a save with Burnley playing a 4-4-2 system in the tactician style and Vokes is my best forward as a target man, who will dribble less and hold up the ball. While Andre Gray as an advanced forward will dribble more, get forward and move into the channels.

Might it be worth adding increasing the closing down on one of them or do you think another role might compliment a target man better?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Loversleaper, congratulations on a great post.

I've really enjoyed applying certain aspects of it to my Wolves save, after three seasons in the Premiership we've got into the Europa League!

I'm curious as to how you judge the pre-match odds though. Is there any minimum threshold (odds wise) that you use to decide if you're a weak/moderate/strong favourite for the match?

I don't use the fractions, instead I use the decimals. Do you look to attack if you're over 10, but control if you're over 3, for instance?

Thanks again!

When I think about my best starting strategy, I look at it more in terms of being very large favorites or underdogs and slight favorites or underdogs. Large favorites are easier to handle, where close odds might crave a little more thought process. In the thread I just tried to keep it simple and described looking at odds as one way of knowing when you can attack and where it might be a better option to defend. It's usually the description before the match that gives a huge hint on how the AI might see themselves in the upcoming match

- "you are overwhelming/clear/heap misery" indicates a larger favorite, other descriptions usually indicate close odds.

When odds are close, I tend to look at these three things before I make the final call:

1 League standings - 2 reputation - and 3 result form of both teams (mine and the opposition)

For example, my team is in good form and my club reputation is not the highest but doing well in the league. I am facing a huge reputation club that is not in the best form. I find myself in a slight favorite role. On this situation I might go with a Counter strategy and see how it goes - these type of matches can be kind of tricky. Another example, my team is in good form and doing well in the league. Last season my team over performed and I am in a European Cup (UEFA or Champ). I meet another team with a middle high reputation and their form is also okay. I am slight favorite and placed several positions above my opponent. I might go with a Standard strategy because I am pretty sure I can put some pressure on them opposed to the club with the huge reputation who might have some world-class type players that might run rings around my pressure line.

For me, this takes a little time and practice before I start feeling comfortable with my team and tactics/strategies. I still make mistakes from time to time or simple lose a match due to circumstances, it's just the way it is... :)

Fantastic post Loversleaper. I had a question for you. Do you think a target man and an advanced forward work well as a strike partnership?

I've just started a save with Burnley playing a 4-4-2 system in the tactician style and Vokes is my best forward as a target man, who will dribble less and hold up the ball. While Andre Gray as an advanced forward will dribble more, get forward and move into the channels.

Might it be worth adding increasing the closing down on one of them or do you think another role might compliment a target man better?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

The Target Man (support) and Advanced Forward are one of the combinations I would personally use as well as it gives some diversity in my attacking structure. Another combination I tend to like is a F9 (support naturally) and Target Man (attack). Target men I would usually play with Direct Passing - and for sure if I am playing one of those formations that don't have wingers. When it comes to closing down settings, I usually leave it to the Strategy settings (more team based) to create how much I will be pressing the opponent. I tend to find closing down quite an important aspect to get your team's defensive structure working optimally and mentality usually ties to the success rate of certain match stats. The ME is at a very basic state in regards to some of these things, so I find it (personally) better to keep things as much on default as possible...

The Target Man (support) and Advanced Forward are one of the combinations I would personally use as well as it gives some diversity in my attacking structure. Another combination I tend to like is a F9 (support naturally) and Target Man (attack). Target men I would usually play with Direct Passing - and for sure if I am playing one of those formations that don't have wingers. When it comes to closing down settings, I usually leave it to the Strategy settings (more team based) to create how much I will be pressing the opponent. I tend to find closing down quite an important aspect to get your team's defensive structure working optimally and mentality usually ties to the success rate of certain match stats. The ME is at a very basic state in regards to some of these things, so I find it (personally) better to keep things as much on default as possible...

Thanks for that, by what your saying do you think it's best to avoid the target man role in a system with wingers, say 4-4-2 flat?

Thanks very much for the advice, didn't even think of taking the pre-match description into account. I'll take that advice onboard, cheers again!

Thanks for that, by what your saying do you think it's best to avoid the target man role in a system with wingers, say 4-4-2 flat?

Not necessarily. It's the way that the Target Man is set-up which causes a lot of play to go through this player. I just mentioned that if I did use a tactic/formation that does not have wingers then I most likely will include this role in my tactical outlooks. You can easily use the Target Man in other formations, just be aware that a lot of passes will go to this player. Direct Passing, I find, tends to compliment the role as well as having a really good player that has the right attributes to capitalize on that type of football (hold up on ball needs quite a lot of strength to be effective especially if he is on Support Duty)...

Part 6, Section 2: Building the Defense

Center Area: I always have the Center Backs Close Down a little less (1 option less than the default) compared to the other players and add Mark Tighter instructions in all of the Strategies. I do this so that they don't abandon their position (too much) in hope that other players can get in the way first and the Central Defenders become the last line of defense. This should limit the 'balls over the top' as well or have them get caught out too easily. In Three Man Formations I tend to stick in a Ball Playing Defender if possible.

your meaning is add "man mark" instuction to center backs or add "using tighter marking" in the team instuction?

huangkeyan said:
your meaning is add "man mark" instuction to center backs or add "using tighter marking" in the team instruction?

I have 'Use Tighter Marking' instruction on all Center Backs - even though I have 'use tighter marking' in the team instruction in some of the strategies. I keep those instructions from the 'base tactic' because if I do decide to switch strategies during a match (which is rare) then I have insured that the Center Backs always Tight Mark. I stay away from Man Marking because it tends to pull my players out of position - which I find is not a good thing at all...

Edited by Loversleaper

Do you ever adjust your roles or formations based in your opponents? I was struggling with my 4-1-2-2-1 against 4-4-2 teams, both at home and away. I found that changing my DM(D) to a HB(D) in these instances at least partially helps to make me a bit more defensively stable.

I was just curious if you ever do the same, not necissarily radical differences like switching to a back three against two strikers, more with regards to role changes.

Thanks again!

Loversleaper, are tactical sets still coming? You mentioned waiting for the final patch before releasing them. Are they still planned?

Hi Loversleaper, great thread, i'm currently playing as Chelmsford after reading your thread and i'm currently 9th after 10 games (which for me is great) i'm predicted to try and fight relegation.

i've set my 3 tactics up like this, how do they look to you?

My home form is very good, my away form could improve

96F3cW8.jpg

9eZGjB8.jpg

HeJ29SE.jpg

Do you ever adjust your roles or formations based in your opponents? I was struggling with my 4-1-2-2-1 against 4-4-2 teams, both at home and away. I found that changing my DM(D) to a HB(D) in these instances at least partially helps to make me a bit more defensively stable.

I was just curious if you ever do the same, not necissarily radical differences like switching to a back three against two strikers, more with regards to role changes.

Thanks again!

Of course I will change things around in regards to roles as long as it complements the player's abilities. I will go from a Complete Forward to a False 9 and will use more specialized roles (like a box to box) if I have players that are very good at those specialized roles. I like to spread out the settings that come with the roles to give as many options as possible because the ME tends to open more possibilities if done correctly. My experience is that one shouldn't overdo it either because this kind of creates too much randomness - which I try to avoid generally...

My personal favorite tactical formation is the 4-1-2-2-1 and generally I don't struggle against a 4-4-2. The tactic for the most part does well against all formations and struggling usually is down to either quality or strategy choices...

@RTG

In post #45 I started a save similar to the one you are playing. I began with the lowest coaching badge and sunday league reputation - which should be the hardest to achieve with. If you look at post #46, I have displayed the tactics I used to win the league with using only a few saves.

Generally, in the lower leagues I tend to have them stick to positions. In the defensive tactic you showed I feel is still too adventurous to actually be defending - which is the point if you want to get points away from home against better opposition. But take a look at the Control, Standard and Defensive tactics in post #46 because those settings would be the ones I would choose in your situation...

It's a shame that this thread has gone quiet. This is, for me, the most helpful thread out there. The ideas and suggestions given really allow people to set up bases tactics and have success. I have tried setting up many different systems and the ideas contained in here really do work.

Would love to see LL post some sets like the Wenger/Conte ones mentioned previously but if not possible then there is more than enough info posted here to have success and enjoy the game. Thanks again for putting such a detailed template down to help the community.

It's gone quiet because LL either lost interest or time to provide the tactical sets he promised a few times. Such things were immensely useful the last time he did them. It was FM 12 or something, not sure.

Other than that, there's not really much to add to the current thread and his initial guidelines.

Based on Loversleaper understanding on foward pairings. I got good success on using a False9 with two Side-AMC pairing for my front3. Basically Side AMC tend to assists much more than Inside-forwards and surprisingly they tend to attack the box more often that Insider-fowards on my save. As for midfield pairing, currently using CM-A with DLP-S and a DMC. Might switch the DMC to HB during pre-season for next year to see the impact. Can't get Roaming Playmaker to work well for my team. Anyone have opinions on how Roaming playmaker tend to pair up?