Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
innocentnaiveboy

New Macbook Pro Retina problems

Been running FM11 on a 2011 Macbook pro 13" screen with 4 GB RAM for the last 4 years. Loved the game, no issues whatsoever. I just recently bought a new Macbook Pro 13" with 8gb RAM and Retina screen and was very much looking forward to seeing how the game has improved in the last 5 years.

Very disappointed straight away to see the 3d match graphics seemed much worse to me than the 2011 version on a 2011 Macbook! Disappointing as I thought it would have improved quite a bit in that time. I thought the 2011 3d gameplay was very watchable and the game ran smoothly. Now the player name text is blurry and the camera scrolling is jerky and sometimes its hard even to follow where the ball is.

So after reading about similar problems with the 2013 version, I turned the retina screen off. This did make a significant improvement, player name text much smoother and the game runs less jerky, but to me, watching a 3d game is still not as nice and smooth an experience as it was on the game 5 years ago. Can anyone please provide any insight?

I have switched my graphics setting to medium, which helped a little, but it still does not seem as good as before. Using the retina screen seems a definite no no, which is a real shame as the game is mostly text, and having bought a brand new and fairly powerful macbook, I was expecting much more. Anyone else have similar issues? Should I backtrack and try the 2013 or '14 game instead?

Hi,

I play on a retina 13 inch mac book pro retina (year 2013).

In the forum i read about all the issues about heat and loud fans. In FM 2015 i had the same issues. Therefore i played in classic 2D mode.

Often the fans get loud.

This week i decided to buy FM2016 despite the issues i read in the forum.

With retina option enabled my mbp goes crazy rendering the 3D match, even 2D classic.

I have tweaked the preferences a lot and found a setup that satisfied me.

I turned off retina option and switched to window mode. The textures are dissapointing, not sharply displayed. To work around this i bought QuickRes for about 5 Dollars. This utility allows you to switch quickly between screen resolutions. If i play FM i switch to 1440x900 no-retina resolution. You can't choose this resolution in the mac os preferences but QuickRes let you deactivate retina. Doing this, all textures (i.e. menus) are crisp. I have no more heating issues and can play 3D with low settings. Mostly play 2D classic, because i like it.

If i switch back to mac apps like safari or mail, the non retina resolution does not look good. But with one click in the system bar i can switch back to retina resolution. Perfect for me.

Greetings

Teeblatt

Hey, I found that you can switch to 1440x900 in the game preferences, with retina turned off, but the 3d game mode still runs jerky. I just don't know what to do with it. Very frustrating. Watching the games play out in the 3d mode was my fave aspect of the game, but the experience now is just not as good as it used to be. If anyone else has any suggestions i would love to hear them. As such i just cannot get into the game. It really runs laboured like my mbp is struggling with it.

Change in the pref. the rendering method from GPU to software.

Thanks Kubi, but this was one of the first things I tried, and although it works marginally better, the overall 3d gameplay is still jittery and does not really make for a nice game experience. I am beginning to lose hope with the game and think i may try and hunt down an older version to install.

Closing apps does also help, especially mail and chrome, if you run those in the background.

And you could try to open FM with low resolution:

right click on the fm icon, choose, start in low resolution.

Yeah as KUBI said, lowering the resolution can also improve performance. Let us know if it helps.

I second that. Experienced the same thing going from an older Macbook Air to a Retina Macbook. 

Playing FM in retina mode on the Macbooks is such a resource hog. Probably since the entire interface consists of bitmaps rather than vector graphics, thus increasing the load with bitmaps and the likes with over 4x. Maybe more.

Enabling retina mode consume so much processing resources, that either the software or the operating system reduce the power throughput to the GPU (grapichs processor) which in turn gives you a bad experience. What's more - it's not the 3D engine that's the problem, it's actually (to the best of my knowledge) the rest of the interface. The menus and screens. 

This is a fundamental flaw with how the game is constructed. Probably due to the match engine being written long before retina screens were on the marked. It's really just technical debt, and probably a really resource consuming (=expensive) task. They will be forced to move from bitmaps to vector gfx at some point, it just would be nice to know when SI plans to do something about it.

Disabling retina mode also dramatically reduces heating issues and increase battery life - so even people with powerful enough Macbooks to run the game smoothly suffer because of how SI Games has written their match engine.

I tried adressing the question here                    Retina resolution and performance                  - but they didnt even bother answering my question. Lucas just told me that it's not possible to play FM on my Macbook, and just rather buy a new computer (!). Well I didn't, and it works a charm - except the fact that retina mode is disabled and the text is about as crisp as it was on CM2.