Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
innocentnaiveboy

Macbook Pro 13" Retina screen problems

Hi there,

I have been running FM 2011 on a 2011 Macbook pro 13" screen with 4 GB RAM for the last 4 years. Loved the game, no issues whatsoever. I just recently bought a new Macbook Pro 13" with 8gb RAM and Retina screen and was very much looking forward to seeing how the game has improved in the last 5 years, as i skipped '12, '13, '14 and '15 altogether.

Very disappointed straight away to see that the text is microscopic, so had to set to a 200% zoom to mirror my 2011 game viewing experience which i thought was perfect (and Im not that old! 34). So problem solved... But then the 3d match graphics seemed much worse to me than the 2011 version on a 2011 Macbook! A little disappointing as I thought it would have improved quite a bit in that time. I thought the 2011 graphics were great and the game ran so smoothly. Now the player name text is blurry and the camera scrolling a little jerky and sometimes its hard even to follow where the ball is.

So after reading about similar problems with the 2013 version, I turned the retina screen off. This did make a significant improvement, player name text much smoother and the game runs less jerky, but to me, watching a 3d game is still not as nice and smooth an experience as it was on the game 5 years ago. Can anyone please provide any insight?

I have switched my graphics setting to medium, which helped a little, but it still does not seem as good as before. Using the retina screen seems a definite no no, which is a real shame as the game is mostly text, and having bought a brand new and fairly powerful macbook, I was expecting much more. Anyone else have similar issues? Should I backtrack and try the 2013 or '14 game instead?

Sorry for the long message but wanted to get my thoughts feelings down as a huge fan of the game!!

Moving this from the Handheld Bugs Forum to User Interface issues - more likely to get a response here. :thup:

Might also be worth asking other users in the General Discussion forum how they've got it set up.

Click on the FM icon --> information --> tick "open in low resolution"

I have tried opening in low resolution... the fact is, the text screens look much better with retina switched on, but the 3d match graphics do not play as well.

With retina on, player names are blurrier and not so sharp, and the gameplay runs a bit jerkier.

I would play with retina off, but then the text info windows i have open during the match are really big and cover a lot of the screen..

So if anyone can please advise the optimal settings for running the game on a 13" retina macbook pro with 8gb RAM, i'd very much appreciate it thanks! As so far fm2011 on my old mac was a much smoother game experience!

What graphics quality are you running the game in via the in-game preferences? What type of graphics card make and model does your Macbook have?

Hi Neil, I am on a brand new 13" Macbook Pro Retina with 8GB RAM, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.

I have tried all combinations of in game graphics settings and with the 3D match game I cannot really find anything that is satisfactory.

With Retina on, the best is obviously switching to medium/low graphics, but the gameplay is still too jerky to be enjoyed.

Retina off fares better, but even on the lowest settings the gameplay still stutters a bit and is jittery like the mac can't quite handle the gameplay.

Are you running any other programs in the background at the same time? What system resolution are you running at? This can be seen via System Preferences -> Display

Could you possibly record footage of the jittery/stuttering so we can see exactly what you're suffering with? If you can, please upload the video to our FTP and let us know the file name. FTP details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441296