Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
A_Sober_Paddy

Using a target man as a lone striker

so as the title suggests...

using a targert man as your lone striker can it work....

maybe with something like

W(s) Am(a) IF(s)

TM(a)

The team i've taken over have 3 strikers, all suited to target man role, and have 3 really good wide men, comfortable with the winger and inside forward role...

Would the targer man suitable hold the ball up and bring the 3 players behind him into the game tho?

It would work if you want your team to hit the target man with long balls...may be better off with a deep lying forward on support. With player instructions you can make him play like a target man just without your defenders lumping the ball forward at every opportunity. If you do want the target man to bring the others into play then a support role would be preferable.

Cheers for the reply...so with the player in the attacking midfielder role, if they are set to support with a support striker, will I be left with nobody in the box, when my wide men are on the ball?

You'll still have players in the box, your Target Man will still attack and score goals. Just because a player is on support duties, doesn't mean he doesn't score/attempt to score. He'll just not look to do too much on his own and will link up with those around him better.

Personally I normally have a lone striker on support duties so he'll not be too isolated up front. Have you tested anything at all and found he does become isolated?

So you aren't using a Target Man at all?

If so, Deep Lying Forward will still get in/around the box on either the attack or support duties and will connect very nicely with the midfield. That role, unless I have a very good Complete Forward, is my go-to for solo forwards.

It would work if you want your team to hit the target man with long balls...may be better off with a deep lying forward on support. With player instructions you can make him play like a target man just without your defenders lumping the ball forward at every opportunity. If you do want the target man to bring the others into play then a support role would be preferable.
So you aren't using a Target Man at all?

If so, Deep Lying Forward will still get in/around the box on either the attack or support duties and will connect very nicely with the midfield. That role, unless I have a very good Complete Forward, is my go-to for solo forwards.

When i was asking about a deep laying forward i was referring to a post in the thread, my system currently runs with an Advanced forward, but its provan inconsistent, also i have 3 strikers who are better suited to target man and/or defensive forward...

Thats why i started the thread to see if target man would be a suitable role