Sports Interactive Community
Murphs75

Mac still over heating and fans going mental.

No change since the release of the new patch. What can you update us on with regards to to any findings you've found over the last month? Is there going to be a fix or are we stick with this issue?

Please do not delete or lock this thread without giving me and the many others with this problem an honest answer.

No change since the release of the new patch. What can you update us on with regards to to any findings you've found over the last month? Is there going to be a fix or are we stick with this issue?

Please do not delete or lock this thread without giving me and the many others with this problem an honest answer.

Have played some hours since yesterday when 16.2.0 came. I think the game runs better but not perfect. Something has happened but of course theres room for improvement.

Am i wrong saying it's an improvement?

I get where you're coming from Dalmashimself. Ever since this issue was first highlighted my mac went trough phases where I thought the issue had been resolved then all of a sudden my laptop sounded as if it was about to take off. Been the same since the update :thdn:

I get where you're coming from Dalmashimself. Ever since this issue was first highlighted my mac went trough phases where I thought the issue had been resolved then all of a sudden my laptop sounded as if it was about to take off. Been the same since the update :thdn:

Agree. Sometimes it feels better and i have not said that it is perfect. Maybe i have lowered my expectations...

I reason this can be acceptable in a way but i will think twice before buying next years edition if theres no overall improvement. Have gone from PC to Mac right before Football Manager release and will not buy a new computer next year to be able to play FM.

Same here, just bought my mac and certainly wont be buying any more additions of football manager if they can't resolve this issue.

The core issue remained the activation of "Enable Retina Display". This is not a FM issue, it is evident across a number of games. Can you confirm how you fare when that option is disabled, and you set the Graphics Quality to lower than the default suggests, as that benchmarking is still overly optimistic.

As an example, on my MacBook Pro I have Retina Display disabled, 1440x900 Resolution and Low Graphics Quality, and it works fine.

Brave statement to make suggesting its not a FM issue. Can you explain why FM15 works perfectly well? Surely if we have to lower the setting to the bog standard then SI should release a statement telling the general public that FM and macs aren't compatible?

The core issue remained the activation of "Enable Retina Display". This is not a FM issue, it is evident across a number of games. Can you confirm how you fare when that option is disabled, and you set the Graphics Quality to lower than the default suggests, as that benchmarking is still overly optimistic.

As an example, on my MacBook Pro I have Retina Display disabled, 1440x900 Resolution and Low Graphics Quality, and it works fine.

Gonna try that tomorrow. Something feels wrong anyhow. A question: How come 3D works fine with FM touch on for example Ipad?

I think that i speaks for everyone when i say that it feels unworthy to have a computer with good spec and not be able use whats in the machine. Play on low when you have payed expensive money, etc, Retina or not...

But here what your saying, will give it a try.

Done as you've suggested and it doesn't and nope I don't see what you mean. This is a FM16 issue. The previous edition worked with no problems at all. :seagull:

Done as you've suggested and it doesn't and nope I don't see what you mean. This is a FM16 issue. The previous edition worked with no problems at all. :seagull:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5521307?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6271821?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5640777?tstart=0

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-overheats-when-playing-games.844189/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10859405848

I can list more. These are not gaming machines.

Regardless what anyone says you're always going to tow the party line. Explain why the previous version worked without any issues then?

Regardless what anyone says you're always going to tow the party line. Explain why the previous version worked without any issues then?

The operating system has changed. Again, if you take the time to Google the impact of El Capitan, you may form the opinion that this perhaps isn't solely a FM16 issue. There's no towing of any line here, just stating the facts.

The operating system has changed. Again, if you take the time to Google the impact of El Capitan, you may form the opinion that this perhaps isn't solely a FM16 issue. There's no towing of any line here, just stating the facts.

But maybe then SI should make it clear for everyone that running Football Manager on Mac (no matter what model) is not fully compatible like an average PC before people invest money...?

I assume SI tested the game long before release on Mac?

A question: I have read at many websites today about the effect of retina display function. I am considering buying a Macbook pro this weekend WITHOUT retina display. Would FM16 work well in that machine then, if that is the reason as RTHerringbone explains?

But maybe then SI should make it clear for everyone that running Football Manager on Mac (no matter what model) is not fully compatible like an average PC before people invest money...?

I assume SI tested the game long before release on Mac?

A question: I have read at many websites today about the effect of retina display function. I am considering buying a Macbook pro this weekend WITHOUT retina display. Would FM16 work well in that machine then, if that is the reason as RTHerringbone explains?

System Requirements given for different operating systems are based on specifications relating to processor, memory and graphics. Providing your system meets those, the game will run. As we've stated in other threads, the monitor's resolution you run the game at will impact performance. This is not Mac specific.

Retina based Macs are primarily designed for productivity and design applications, as stated on the Apple website. For games - regardless of platforms - generally recommend monitors at 16:9 ratio and 1080p support are much more common.

Apple provide many different kinds of Mac - some which use Retina display, some that don't. I personally use a Mac Pro at home with a 2560*1080 standard monitor, and play the game in minimum resolution. The lower the resolution and graphics quality you run any game at, the better the performance will be.

This is not a FM16 issue, we have made some improvements in the latest patch but if you are still having some issues regarding performance then I can only suggest you lower the resolution and graphics detail for better performance. Turning off 'Use Retina Mode' in the preference may also bring you some benefits.

Hope that helps.

System Requirements given for different operating systems are based on specifications relating to processor, memory and graphics. Providing your system meets those, the game will run. As we've stated in other threads, the monitor's resolution you run the game at will impact performance. This is not Mac specific.

Retina based Macs are primarily designed for productivity and design applications, as stated on the Apple website. For games - regardless of platforms - generally recommend monitors at 16:9 ratio and 1080p support are much more common.

Apple provide many different kinds of Mac - some which use Retina display, some that don't. I personally use a Mac Pro at home with a 2560*1080 standard monitor, and play the game in minimum resolution. The lower the resolution and graphics quality you run any game at, the better the performance will be.

This is not a FM16 issue, we have made some improvements in the latest patch but if you are still having some issues regarding performance then I can only suggest you lower the resolution and graphics detail for better performance. Turning off 'Use Retina Mode' in the preference may also bring you some benefits.

Hope that helps.

If we talk long term, coming years. Is this something that can be better in newer versions of the game?

I'm not a tech guy but what i trying to say is: Does games 'catch up' with retina displays in the future? If that makes sense.

And one last question: How come 3D with FMT works fine on Ipads?

Hope that helps.

No it doesnt help

Hi Lucas Weatherby. Is this the only update who will come to this problem or will you guys try to improve it alongside with Apple´s help maybe?

And honestly, this update wasn´t helpful at all, my mac is still overheating and fans going mental... :(

For me, I think its weird if it isn't a FM problem, because FM15 works perfectly on the same mac...Im sorry to say that I'm finish to play FM for good, if this problem stays the same, and most likely it will... :thdn:

I give up

Hope that helps.

No it does not help. You gotta be kidding with us... I tested both FM15 and FM14 and both of ran smooth on my i5 8gb ram (MBP 13 mid 2015) with Retina Mode turned on, so why does not FM16 run smooth?

Have done som managing yesterday and today with Retina Display disabled, 1440x900 Resolution and Low Graphics Quality. Honestly the game works fine!

Fans haven't kicked in matches, only when i save the game and on few other occasions (think it is due to multitasking). It runs smooth...

Noteworthy: Play with almost all countries and leagues +140,000 players.

This has gotten me more motivated to play the game and i enjoy it.

BUT my questions is stil unanswered...

3D works fine on Ipads - how come?

Does games 'catch up' with retina displays in the future?

Yes the game works fine with some adjustments but everything can be better and many of us have expansive machines and i think much of the 'hard words' is due to the fact that for example you have to disabel retina etc.

Thanks.

What I'm struggling to get my head around is the fact that SI are now saying this isn't a FM issue. So how come FM15 worked perfectly fine with the current OS but FM16 doesn't. Can someone from SI explain this for me please?

I am the owner of a mid-2014 Macbook with i7 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GT 750M and SSD. I downloaded the demo of FM 2016 today and I made some experiment.

Playing with Retina and full details made my fans kicked in.

Playing without Retina, in window and with medium details was smooth and flawlessly.

Personally, I don't find a big deal play the match with medium details and love the new ME so far.

Since I know that everything is working fine with the match, I have a question for everyone: I have only the demo, I didn't buy the game yet. I will play with 10-12 leagues and 150000 players, should I expect some overheating and fans going crazy? Because with the match for me the game is perfect, I would like to know if I should expect problems during loadings (love to play long careers, 20-30 years and with 10-12 leagues and huge database).

Thank you in advance for your kind answer.

For me, I think its weird if it isn't a FM problem, because FM15 works perfectly on the same mac...
No it does not help. You gotta be kidding with us... I tested both FM15 and FM14 and both of ran smooth on my i5 8gb ram (MBP 13 mid 2015) with Retina Mode turned on, so why does not FM16 run smooth?
What I'm struggling to get my head around is the fact that SI are now saying this isn't a FM issue. So how come FM15 worked perfectly fine with the current OS but FM16 doesn't. Can someone from SI explain this for me please?

"Retina mode" in the FM preferences were not available in previous versions of the game.

Both of these posts in the same thread have detailed what have helped them:

I am the owner of a mid-2014 Macbook with i7 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GT 750M and SSD. I downloaded the demo of FM 2016 today and I made some experiment.

Playing with Retina and full details made my fans kicked in.

Playing without Retina, in window and with medium details was smooth and flawlessly.

Have done som managing yesterday and today with Retina Display disabled, 1440x900 Resolution and Low Graphics Quality. Honestly the game works fine!

Fans haven't kicked in matches, only when i save the game and on few other occasions (think it is due to multitasking). It runs smooth...

Try this, and let me know if thats better for you. The settings are there for a reason, to help you find the settings you are most comfortable with if the defaults are not to your liking.

I have only the demo, I didn't buy the game yet. I will play with 10-12 leagues and 150000 players, should I expect some overheating and fans going crazy? Because with the match for me the game is perfect, I would like to know if I should expect problems during loadings (love to play long careers, 20-30 years and with 10-12 leagues and huge database).

Thank you in advance for your kind answer.

I can't really answer that for you as there are lots of factors that go into how a program will perform than just raw specs, especially when the computer has been used for some time and has other applications running.

BUT my questions is stil unanswered...

3D works fine on Ipads - how come?

Does games 'catch up' with retina displays in the future?

Yes the game works fine with some adjustments but everything can be better and many of us have expansive machines and i think much of the 'hard words' is due to the fact that for example you have to disabel retina etc.

Thanks.

iPad and Android are completely different architecture and the FMT game on tablet platforms is optimised for those devices, they cannot really be compared to the PC version as they operate very differently in order to run the game.

So Lucas can you answer what UAT was done before the game was released for mac? It would appear none was carried out otherwise SI would have identified this issue before unleashing an incompatible game on a loyal unsuspecting audience.

Try the above, and let me know if that helps you at all. Consistently I have been trying to help you and you're ignoring the advice and making accusations. Won't say this again.

So Lucas can you answer what UAT was done before tout otherwise SI would have identified this issue before unleashing an incompatible game on a loyal unsuspecting audience.

I'm a MacBook owner and I don't want to sound harsh, it's not my intention. Said that, I think you should understand that Macs are machines created for production and not for gaming.

For gaming with good performance you need a PC and it's much better if you get a desktop instead of laptop. I'm going that route as well, since I'm not playing music anymore and I don't need Logic.

I'm a MacBook owner and I don't want to sound harsh, it's not my intention. Said that, I think you should understand that Macs are machines created for production and not for gaming.

For gaming with good performance you need a PC and it's much better if you get a desktop instead of laptop. I'm going that route as well, since I'm not playing music anymore and I don't need Logic.

So to play FM16 we need to buy the game for £30 then purchase a to £500 windows which I wouldn't use for anything else. Thats seems reasonable :)

If FM16 doesn't work on Mac it shouldn't be advertised as available on Mac. It's false advertising.

Murph, the only one currently removing posts is myself. You've consistently ignored what he said, you've had multiple warnings for way you speak to people, and you already have served one ban for abusing him. If you're not going to listen, or change the way you interact, this thread will be closed.

Murph, the only one currently removing posts is myself. You've consistently ignored what he said, you've had multiple warnings for way you speak to people, and you already have served one ban for abusing him. If you're not going to listen, or change the way you interact, this thread will be closed.

This forum is basically the customer service outlet for FM16, we have paid money for a game that doesn't work properly on our brand new macbooks so Murph and all of us that are frustrated have the right to voice our complaints.

Plus the post you just deleted of Murphs was not abusive, he asked a valid question which has been asked a few times and is never answered.

So to play FM16 we need to buy the game for £30 then purchase a to £500 windows which I wouldn't use for anything else. Thats seems reasonable :)

If FM16 doesn't work on Mac it shouldn't be advertised as available on Mac. It's false advertising.

No, it is not. Have you tried my advice above?

This forum is basically the customer service outlet for FM16, we have paid money for a game that doesn't work properly on our brand new macbooks so Murph and all of us that are frustrated have the right to voice our complaints.

Plus the post you just deleted of Murphs was not abusive, he asked a valid question which has been asked a few times and is never answered.

Murph hasn't tried any of the advice I have given. I appreciate frustration but complaining when you ignore help given is not acceptable.

Please try what I have asked. I will close the thread if there is any more of this sniping, the advice is there for people to try, and clearly some are unwilling to listen or entertain any help given to them.

You are not going to help yourselves if you don't listen to us when we try to help you, time and time again.

Thanks for the threat.

I have not abused anybody during this whole sorry and pathetic episode. The whole way SI and the moderators on this site have handled peoples request for answers has been nothing short of disgraceful. I certainly do not appreciate the threatening language in your post and neither will I be intimidated by it.

Remove this post or close the thread that's up to you but it will only go to prove the cowardly approach taken by you and SI over the last few weeks. We live in a society of free speech unfortunately if you don't have the balls to answer questions then that says hell of a lot more about your conduct as a person than it does my behaviour.

You still have to abide by the rules of the forum, and actually take on board what is being said by those you seen information on. Lucas has frequently explained why, and it is a major issue beyond FM16 (in fact various Mac updates are causing huge issues for gamers and games across the spectrum, ask Elite: Dangerous players about the inability to play the major update Horizons, and currently any expansions beyond that, for example)

Thanks for the threat.

I have not abused anybody during this whole sorry and pathetic episode. The whole way SI and the moderators on this site have handled peoples request for answers has been nothing short of disgraceful. I certainly do not appreciate the threatening language in your post and neither will I be intimidated by it.

Remove this post or close the thread that's up to you but it will only go to prove the cowardly approach taken by you and SI over the last few weeks. We live in a society of free speech unfortunately if you don't have the balls to answer questions then that says hell of a lot more about your conduct as a person than it does my behaviour.

Actually you live in a society where free speech is governed by consequences, and that actually differs in private forums. If you had spoken to staff in a shop in that manner in the UK, they would remove you from the premises.

Time and again Lucas has tried to help you, time and again you have ignored it. You're entitled to not take it on board, but then at that point there is little more to be offered to you

This thread is now closed