Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this was a bug, but it was annoying. I purchased a young Serbian player who unfortunately has 50% agent ownership. So to finalize the deal, you have to buyout that 50%. I've bought the same player several times with different clubs on FM16 and the amount demanded by the agent has ranged from about 1.2m Euros to 2.5m. Which makes sense - its about the same as the purchase price. I scouted the player before purchasing and my scout thought the agent could demand as much as 3m Euros. I arrange my budget accordingly. Agree the purchase for about 2m and agree a reasonable contract (more reasonable than in previous versions, actually, but that might be due to the size of the club). And the agent demands 6m Euros. I had to use the editor the add money back in.

I expect the agent personality (randomly generated in each game) and the size of the club play a role. Just annoying that my skilled scout was so far off. And being a "bigger" club here, I actually have less money than the other clubs I've used to purchase him with lol

I believe that the match engine/experience itself hasn't progressed as needed considering all the bells and whistles that have been added in the last 3 or 4 years.

The lack of feedback on what's going on in the match is becoming a serious issue hampering aspiring managers in the game.

I shouldn't need to watch a full match of repetitive scripted animations that has no resemblance to real football whatsoever to try to spot a gap in midfield, A player tackling too hard or a full back moving two steps forward than needed. Specially when you give us an ME that's either a goal fest like FM 15 or a crossing fest like this year's.

Here is a list of concerns:

- Ratings:

I remember on the good old days if I had all my team on 8's and two players on 6 then they are not performing and probably this is the cause of my worries.

Now it seems that if all your players are on 7's and you are 3-0 down its fine because and I quote one of mods :

"Player ratings are an indicator of how your players are performing up to that point.. not any kind of indicator on the match or the opposition as a whole,

Just because your players have ok ratings, doesn't mean they are doing what they need to be doing to win."

- Player performance/Body language:

Again it has no clear meaning and is detached from the match engine completely. Even SI can't provide an actual explanation on how it works just like team talks. Does anyone actually use it?

For example how can everyone be playing okay when we are 2 or 3 nil down? ....Or a scenario where all the goals come through our right back and it says the left back is having a bad game and ignores the actual cause.... Unless the ME is not consistent with the other features and is very limited in what it shows us.

- As for the ME itself, I'll ignore the 3D animations because I don't think it's that important how it looks as long as it plays right.

I remember playing 2D on FM 2008 and being able to differentiate between a pacey skillful player or a player with vision. Now it's just a player running in a straight line then crossing or a silly scramble where everyone stands like a scarecrow.

The commentary at that time gave us hints about how the game is going. In 2016 the commentary is the same if not worse considering the limitations they had in the past.

By 2016 I'd expect to see one twos, triangles, proper sweeper adaptation and maybe some more physicality. I expect the commentary to talk about a lot lot more.

It's frustrating when you spend 2 hours tuning your tactics and going through all these fancy positions and roles and shapes to end up with 3 identical crossed goals, A bad backpass or a player with a longshot stat of 2 scoring 3 screamers for the first time in their career.

As for people who find nothing wrong with the game on here and keep shooting down people, Last year you lot thought that a game ending 7-6 with 50 shots wasn't an issue, And I'm sure some generic guy who probably aspires to be a mod will come in saying that 6 woodworks every game is perfectly normal, You're entitled to your opinion but others also are.

:applause:

After 20+ years, I can still have a lot of fun playing the game, but if SI is ever interested in really improving the game, they need to stop ignoring posts like this one. As of now, ME can only show you (if you watch very closely) why your tactic works or doesn't work, but otherwise is very poor at giving feedback about what is happening, especially on an individual basis.

Once again on the topic on goals. I just went over the last 50 goals scored in the premier league since the update and how they were scored

-Low Cross to tap in -13 goals

-Tap in off keeper save, Header from cross - 6 goals each

Penalty, from corner, defensive error to 1v1 - 3 goals each

-Through ball to wingers, Long shot (outside box), Goalkeeper error, tackle falling to attacker to tap in, long through ball to 1v1, Cross from Free kick, cut inside and finish - All 2 goals

-Sideways layoff pass (in box), Direct free kick, cross to good finish, intricate through ball to good finish - All 1 goals

As you can see there are plenty of different ways that goals are being scored, the main problem is definitely the amount of goals coming from crosses and for me 1 intricate through ball isn't enough

Seems to me that one third of the goals comes from crosses. I dont know if this is really way too much? Dont know the real life stats.

while crosses still account for about two thirds of all goals.

This is weird. How is it possible that no one else seems to have two thirds of all goals coming from crosses? Maybe one third, some more some less, but not two thirds of all goals. Are you exaggerating to get attention?

I still get the sense that you focus far too much on ratings. It's well known that the rating system could be improved, so to suggest the ME is unbalanced on the basis of a dubious rating system seems a bit short sighted.

Oh come on, give me a break now please. I am not suggesting this based on the poor rating system. The rating system has been waiting to be improved for years, so forget that - I accepted that it will not happen, I made piece with it :)

I am talking about something else here. There is no rating algorithm that will differentiate between a star fullback and the 16 year old you bring in from your youth team, in the current state of the ME, because the rating algorithm is based on the stats sheet, and as far as I can observe, I can put my worst player into the wingback role in my tactic and he will finish the match with a stat line that will produce a good rating. He will have a few runs, a few key passes, a few tackles and interceptions, just as many as your star fullback. And that's my real concern. The only thing the ME shows you right now is if your combination of player positions and roles is efficient or not. It gives you feedback for your tactical setup, but tells OR shows you nothing right about individual performances.

To help you understand, let me illustrate with an extreme example: If you put the 39 years old me into the game, you will have to model a player that has 0-5 attributes all over the place, right? Then insert me into Chelsea's left fullback spot, start the match, and call someone to come and take a look at the screen. After watching a few minutes of the full match, that someone should be able to tell you 'look, that's him right there!'. Even FIFA can differentiate clearly between players' pace, strength, technique, etc., as an arcade game. FM is a simulation. It should be a lot better at simulating individual attributes and performances. Currently it is not. I will look just fine - as fine as Azpilicueta looks in ME.

As of now, ME can only show you (if you watch very closely) why your tactic works or doesn't work, but otherwise is very poor at giving feedback about what is happening, especially on an individual basis.

This game is made to watch closely. Otherwise you are wrong in a simulation.

The less you watch of a game, the less you can see of an individual, especially if he is playing a more subtle role. In this, FM is no different to real life analysis.

I agree, but I gave an extreme example there. Watching only a few minutes should be more than enough to point to a player who is completely outclassed. We are talking about an amateur player replacing Azpilicueta here.

I find it a little bit funny that for years players have been complaining that FM is not realistic enough and managers are craving for more in-depth management, more detail that requires more effort to get right results and the best out of your players.

But suddenly, in the past couple of years there have been a loud voices that demand more simple and direct gameplay and talk about missing simple CM 97/98 etc times. Quite interesting.

I personally prefer the way FM has been moving. I've always found time for one match in a real life day. I prepare for it, choose team, choos tactics, analyze my squad form, opponent weaknesses etc. and watch the game in extended highlights. That's all I've got time, and inbetween games I reflect how the previous one went and what I should change tomorrow. That's, for me, is a great pace of game. I don't want and need to rush things.

What I DO agree is criticism about that player ratings are sometimes not correctly related to real player performance. While watching the match, you can spot an error that lead to conceded goal, but ME doesn't take it into account and doesn't blame your player who was to blame. Clear cut chance is sometimes regarded as half-chance (or, no chance at all). Assists have sometimes been unaccounted for if your striker misses firstly, but scores for rebound etc. So in some ways what we see on the pitch and in match ratings is still not completely synced.

Don't get me wrong - it has improved a lot in recent years. But it still could use some work.

I always wanted to go and scout a player in a match played between other teams, Let's say a young promising kid or a trials day game.

At it's current state the ME won't let you distinguish the good players from the bad, The fast skillful ones from the poor slow or fatigued ones. The goalkeepers are all identical and the defenders behave the same way whether they are ball playing or a bobby moore type. The commentary doesn't add anything and now that ratings and other tools are apparently not consistent then this is a serious downfall of the so-called "simulation".

By 2016 I'd have expected people to upload some great footballing sequences or a skillful move from a great regen you discovered to you tube. Compare the goals uploaded today to the ones 5 or 6 years ago and decide for yourself which direction we've been heading.

I hope the point comes across in the right manner as we're FM addicts regardless of what changes are made and SI have our full support always as a community.

I can't even get into the game now - worked fine before and just updated - now I can't even get to the screen to load the game - just hangs forever on the screen before that where it says its loading. Tried deleting cache, preferences and re-verifying - no change.....

I can't even get into the game now - worked fine before and just updated - now I can't even get to the screen to load the game - just hangs forever on the screen before that where it says its loading. Tried deleting cache, preferences and re-verifying - no change.....

If you haven't already, make a post in the tech support/bugs forum. They will work with you to try to get your game up and running.

Assuming you're on PC. http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/520-Crashes-Launch-and-Technical-Issues-on-PC

There really needs to be some differentiation made by a player when a club withdraw from negotiating after I counter their offer. The player always says 'you rejected the bid'. I didn't, I asked for a reasonable amount and the potential buyer said no. Player interaction is screwy enough without them getting mad at the wrong person.

There really needs to be some differentiation made by a player when a club withdraw from negotiating after I counter their offer. The player always says 'you rejected the bid'. I didn't, I asked for a reasonable amount and the potential buyer said no. Player interaction is screwy enough without them getting mad at the wrong person.

But you then have the option to tell him he'll go when a reasonable offer comes in for him and not before.

Anyone suffer from a lot of last minute goals against them? Probably my tactics but I find generally that the game struggles to replicate real life momentum. I have found that say I am one down I will at times pin the opposition back and sometimes get an equaliser by attacking them but if I continue in that vain to get a winner a lot of the time the opposition will get a winner themselves through usually a free kick, cross or corner. I suffer a lot of late equalizers against me as well although I can accept that as it's something I must tactically resolve but I just find that pushing on to win a game especially against a side down the bottom who should be short of confidence an equalizer by me usually gets them to react positively rather than their chins hitting the floor.

I also must say that the goals I have seen are pretty repetitive. There doesn't seem to be much variety from either side, just a cross, free kick, corner, bad back pass of 30 yard screamer.

Count me in with the others complaining about the number of crossed goals. I've played FM13 and FM14, and FM16 has BY FAR the worst ME of the 3. Very few goals with intricate passing (and I play with the 'work ball into box' instruction), and 65-70% of goals come off of ridiculously accurate crosses. I'm honestly considering abandoning FM16 and going back to FM14 because the ME is so unrealistic. And certainly I will not be buying any future football manager games until the match engine is fixed. I am willing to show examples to an SI employee, because I love this game and it saddens me to see it in such a poor state at the moment.

Count me in with the others complaining about the number of crossed goals. I've played FM13 and FM14, and FM16 has BY FAR the worst ME of the 3. Very few goals with intricate passing (and I play with the 'work ball into box' instruction), and 65-70% of goals come off of ridiculously accurate crosses. I'm honestly considering abandoning FM16 and going back to FM14 because the ME is so unrealistic. And certainly I will not be buying any future football manager games until the match engine is fixed. I am willing to show examples to an SI employee, because I love this game and it saddens me to see it in such a poor state at the moment.

That's great news... please upload any pkm's etc to the bug reporting section :thup:

But the game can't only be suited for people who have time to watch full match highlights. If thats the case, SI are going to lose about 90% of its players!

SI have provided ample options for players who don't want to play the simulation version of the game, since the game went 3d I have only ever played on full match highlights and only get through 4-5 seasons per year on the game. I couldn't play it any other way now.

I agree that it must be tricky for players who only want to play through quickly but there are ways to do it successfully as Cleon has shown and explained.

SI have provided ample options for players who don't want to play the simulation version of the game, since the game went 3d I have only ever played on full match highlights and only get through 4-5 seasons per year on the game. I couldn't play it any other way now.

I agree that it must be tricky for players who only want to play through quickly but there are ways to do it successfully as Cleon has shown and explained.

What I usually do is play Key or Extended and switch to Comprehensive or Full if I the match starts to slip away from me or I'm trying something new in tactics.

Quite a few matches are played on Key only, but some I do have to switch to see what is happenign with my tactic or what the opponents are doing to stop my tactic form working.

Luckily my bas tactic is simple and I just make minor adjustments based on opponents, condition and my starting players.

It's still too difficult to sell players for their actual worth. I'm expected to pay £40-50m for the likes of Lukaku and Mahrez and Mane and John Stones yet when I try to sell Mata I get a pathetic offer of £23m from Arsenal (despite Rafa Benitez apparently always being interested as soon as the game starts), or when I try to sell Fellaini I get an offer of £9m from Sevilla, or when I try to sell Valencia I get an offer of £4m from Southampton.

Anyone suffer from a lot of last minute goals against them? Probably my tactics but I find generally that the game struggles to replicate real life momentum. I have found that say I am one down I will at times pin the opposition back and sometimes get an equaliser by attacking them but if I continue in that vain to get a winner a lot of the time the opposition will get a winner themselves through usually a free kick, cross or corner. I suffer a lot of late equalizers against me as well although I can accept that as it's something I must tactically resolve but I just find that pushing on to win a game especially against a side down the bottom who should be short of confidence an equalizer by me usually gets them to react positively rather than their chins hitting the floor.

I also must say that the goals I have seen are pretty repetitive. There doesn't seem to be much variety from either side, just a cross, free kick, corner, bad back pass of 30 yard screamer.

make sure you keep an eye on opponents substitutions and adjust opposition instructions accordignly, I guess most of the time it's fresh unmarked striker that punishes you :)

• Administrators
It's still too difficult to sell players for their actual worth. I'm expected to pay £40-50m for the likes of Lukaku and Mahrez and Mane and John Stones yet when I try to sell Mata I get a pathetic offer of £23m from Arsenal (despite Rafa Benitez apparently always being interested as soon as the game starts), or when I try to sell Fellaini I get an offer of £9m from Sevilla, or when I try to sell Valencia I get an offer of £4m from Southampton.

Don't really understand this - you're trying to sign other club's best assets and they're asking big money, and when you're offering players out that you DON'T WANT other clubs are lowballing you?

Of course they are, you're offering the players out. If a team approaches you initially you're in the driving seat for negotiations. If you're offering a player out, the AI immediately knows you want rid so are in a stronger position.

The optimum words there are 'when I try and sell' ... the second you put them on the transfer list, their value is essentially meaningless.. teams will buy for the minimum you will accept.

If I wanted someone I would expect to pay close to their full worth or probably more to entice the selling team to part with the player...

However if I see that the club is wanting to get rid, why would I give them the full price? I'd start as low as humanly possible and crawl upwards..

Makes me wonder if people know how basic negotiation works tbh... people seem to want to press the 'I want to sell' button and get instant full value bids back, or get there in a few back and forths..

I'm getting this message:

3D Match Information

You computer's graphics hardware is not powerful enough to display matches in 3D.

Please note that matches will only be displayed in 2D.

My GPU is a 980GTX.

When I reset the preferences it reverts back to 3D but then displays the above message when returning to the start screen. This only seems to have happened in the last two days. 3D matches were working before that. Any ideas, anyone?

3D Match Information

You computer's graphics hardware is not powerful enough to display matches in 3D.

My GPU is a 980GTX.

When I reset the preferences it reverts back to 3D but then displays the above message when returning to the start screen. This only seems to have happened in the last two days. 3D matches were working before that. Any ideas, anyone?

Posting here will get your issue looked at: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/520-Crashes-Launch-and-Technical-Issues-on-PC

3D Match Information

My GPU is a 980GTX.

Do you have more than one GPU?

Can anyone tell me what do you need to do when opposing team gets a red card? It looks like the moment when they go man down, they get some kind of bonus because I'm finding it impossible to capitalize on the fact that I have 11 players on the pitch. Wheter you attack,or drop deep...it makes no difference. At this point when I see AI getting a red card I'm holding my head "oh god please,no..just don't give him a red card" because from that moment my team will stop to make any kind of chance to score. And often AI will score. The same goes when I get a red card..as if my team suddenly becomes stronger. It's ridicilous.

Can anyone tell me what do you need to do when opposing team gets a red card? It looks like the moment when they go man down, they get some kind of bonus because I'm finding it impossible to capitalize on the fact that I have 11 players on the pitch. Wheter you attack,or drop deep...it makes no difference. At this point when I see AI getting a red card I'm holding my head "oh god please,no..just don't give him a red card" because from that moment my team will stop to make any kind of chance to score. And often AI will score. The same goes when I get a red card..as if my team suddenly becomes stronger. It's ridicilous.

Best place to ask for tactical advice is the Tactics forum :thup:

Generally speaking losing a man doesn't make a difference to your defensive setup.

Virtually no team defends with 11 men normally, they tend to defend with 8/9/10 so losing a man means you can still defend with 8/9/10. What it does limit is your attacking but because opposition teams often push men forward it leaves them open to counter attacking which is exactly what 10 men teams are setup for.

I think the specialist treatment costs are a bit low. I know someone who went private for a nose issue and he was charged £150 to take the bandages off (3 minute appointment). Tim Howard's hip injury is costing me £3.9k for four months work, for "the very best treatment". I don't have the knowledge to say it should be X not Y, it just feels low and is never a factor in deciding on treatment - why choose the physio option when the specialist one is better and so cheap?

• SI Staff

Hey Optimistic Dave,

Treatment for a hip injury and taking the bandage off of a nose are not really comparable unfortunately.

In terms of why choose the physio option, this is more relevant to lower league clubs. Everton and other large clubs are never (and would never in reality) feel the impact financially of choosing specialist treatment over the physio option, it is a tiny tiny proportion of their balance. Whereas a Vanarama North side most likely would. As such this is much more relevant to a club lower down the leagues than to, for example, Everton.

Cheers,

Seb.

Don't really understand this - you're trying to sign other club's best assets and they're asking big money, and when you're offering players out that you DON'T WANT other clubs are lowballing you?

Of course they are, you're offering the players out. If a team approaches you initially you're in the driving seat for negotiations. If you're offering a player out, the AI immediately knows you want rid so are in a stronger position.

Thank you! This is one area of the game that has nicely developed over the last few years. I would for sure stop playing if SI listened to people moaning about this and changed it back to how it was before. This game needs every bit of a challenge it is providing right now to keep it enjoyable for people who like to play career saves.

People who want to be able to easily snap every player they want from AI teams, should just use the editor.

Like few others on this thread sadly I think my days football managing are over...

I'm 38 & played CM/FM since mid 90s!!

Just want to enjoy the game but find it too hard!?

Watched & played football all my life! I'm no coach but understand the game! After couple years away bought FMT 16 & wanted to bring Inter back to glory days!!

My last attempt today was to use Cleons guide on Counter Attacking.. Simple formation & concept but I still struggled to make any sense of match engine!?!

Struggled to score & consistently getting beaten by lower ranked sides..

I'm gutted as got 4 & 1 year old & couple hours in garden office playing FM was a rare welcome escape!!

I know it's a simulation but I haven't got time to watch every match in depth & analyse every move!

Game definitely seems to have become too advanced for my ability!!

Not saying its 'broken' as many people seem to still get enjoyment out of it!

Just wish I knew how they did it!?

What kind of coaching experience do you pick at the start of the game? In my experience, the influence your manager has over the players plays a big role in success in this game. The higher reputation your manager has, the easier it will be to keep your players happy and motivated. So, picking the past experience when you create your manager is almost like selecting a difficulty level. If you pick Sunday League Player, you will be better off if you start with a lower league team. If you want to manage Inter, you will have some extra challenge if you go with Sunday league player.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help, I can't seem to be able to get this update to download at all. I have it set to auto update - nothing, restarted steam - nothing & have also uninstalled both the game and steam and still nothing. Anybody else had this issue and able to help? Thanks in advance, Btw I'm using windows 10 on my pc

Archived