Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

Feedback thread is for feedback, not for arguing over who is right and wrong. Criticism is welcome both of the ME and other user's viewpoints as long as it remains civil and productive. Eyeroll smileys, name-calling etc. is none of that, so let's stop it please.

I just had a match where I had 7 CCCs and 13 HCs and 1 goal. And somehow the opposing keeper had a 6.6 rating. I really think both defending and finishing need to be improved.

I made a thread in the bug forum regarding keeper ratings in situations like this, and one of the devs agreed it's an issue and said it's being looked at.

I made a thread in the bug forum regarding keeper ratings in situations like this, and one of the devs agreed it's an issue and said it's being looked at.

I do get this feeling that quality chances are a bit too frequent in general (regardless of whether they're classified as CCCs or HCs or not chances at all by the ME) but it's compensated for by the all-over-the-place finishing. So I think both defending and finishing could stand to be tightened up.

Didn't Veira become New York City manager in 2016? If so how comes he is NYC manager in my save IF the last database update was in December?

This was announced in November, but wasn't due to take effect till 1/1/16, so unless the researcher took a chance and included it in the Dec update, it probably shouldn't have happened.

Is it normal that nation's tactic takes so long to learn? Was approached to this job which is kinda new to me, imported just one tactic and after two months it's still "awkward". Not to mention team is losing games...

This was announced in November, but wasn't due to take effect till 1/1/16, so unless the researcher took a chance and included it in the Dec update, it probably shouldn't have happened.

Bit odd that. I'm only in November and had just finished the Champions League fixtures and I thought I would have a look at his profile. Doesn't really bother me, just curious.

I've just posted this in the bug thread about crosses, I'm copy-pasting it here to see if people feel the same or have different feedback with what they're seeing in their games:

I'm more and more convinced this issue has little to do with the accuracy of crosses itself, and everything to do with a combination of issues with the surrounding circumstances. Which isn't good news as it'll be much harder for SI to fix that.

I think it's a combination of:

- teams defend too narrow and seem oblivious to any full backs moving upfield from deep without the ball. This explains the high fullback ratings, they're so often with so much space that they receive and make a lot of passes which in turn inflates their ratings. It also means that since the ball reaches their path so often, they tend to cross a lot (although this seems nerfed under some passages of play and instructions, as they'll dwell on the ball a bit and lose it, instead of crossing immediately) and therefore rack up a lot of assists.

- marking in the area isn't good enough, almost every single one of these crossed goals is thanks to the ball reaching some completely unmarked player in the area. The back post area behind the defensive fullback seems also particularly vulnerable (although on this particular circumstance, players are rarely completely unmarked and instead seem to be really really good at beating the defender on speed/anticipation, regardless of attributes!). I wonder if the poor marking is connected to the generally timid closing down/loose marking all over the pitch, this is a completely separate issue that has absolutely nothing to do with crossed goals, but it appears you need to turn on "close down much more" to get a barely decent pressing game which is nuts. Some user in the tactics forum was lauding ball-winning midfielders for their criteria on waiting when to close down the player and when not, and this is the headless chicken role, and his team had the "close down more" TI on top of that! Defending players give too much space everywhere and it's not just in the area.

- by contrast very few crossed goals seem to be directly scored by a big man beating a defender in an aerial duel - with the exception if it's a corner, god help my team on defensive corners. Though I'm not sure there's a lack of attackers beating defenders on air, it's more a question of them rarely hitting the target with their headers. I understand it's harder to nail a perfect header into goal when you're marked and trying to beat someone else, than when you're given plenty of space to prepare your finish, but there still seems to be a lack of that kind of goals, whereas unmarked attackers too easily tap in crosses with their volleyed first touch.

- goalkeepers are absolutely sissies at leaving their goal to catch crosses, "command of area" attribute seems to help a tiny little bit but the keepers are just far too timid.

- possibly the one circumstance where crosses are a bit too accurate are early crosses from deep, particularly those to the back post. There also seems to be too many early crosses compared to late byline crosses, again this seems to be connected to the fullbacks dwelling on the ball far too much when they're near the byline.

- for whatever reason wingers don't seem to be anywhere near as effective as attacking fullbacks, I'm not entirely sure of this admitedly as I've not used wingers much, but I think defenders are smarter when it comes to mark wingers than when it comes to mark fullbacks creeping up from deep; also I've seen some posts around reporting there are bugs that make wingers sometime move too narrow infield.

So the issues are far, far more complex than "crosses are too good!", which is worrying as it's not something the devs can fix in 5 minutes by tweaking some numbers, it's also really easy to miss these issues when testing, as you give a quick look to stats and everything seems balanced and fine, it's only when you play a couple of seasons and try out a couple of different settings, that you start to see these poor patterns play out. It's also pretty damn hard to demonstrate all of these things through PKMs, it's rarely clearly bugged passages of play, it's more like subtle long-term inbalances.

Good work on the above post. it's generally how those who have been looking feel. And you are of of the few picking it up tb

- for whatever reason wingers don't seem to be anywhere near as effective as attacking fullbacks, I'm not entirely sure of this admitedly as I've not used wingers much, but I think defenders are smarter when it comes to mark wingers than when it comes to mark fullbacks creeping up from deep; also I've seen some posts around reporting there are bugs that make wingers sometime move too narrow infield.

For me its because the defenders are already a bit too narrow, so they can contain them, but then an overlap is created for the full back

Totally agree with this first point- fullbacks often end up with insanely high crossing numbers, particularly in formations that don't have wingers. I played against a Sunderland team in a 4-3-1-2 formation and their fullbacks combined for 37 crosses as the defenders don't close down full backs even if there is no winger in front of them.

Since clubs can now have training facility affiliates, it would be great if club's own training facilities could be upgraded to match the affiliate's facilities

An example:

A club with poor training facilities forms an affiliation with a club that has average training facilities. While the affiliation lasts, the club with poor facilities cannot improve its own training facilities. It means that to get better than average training environment, the club must first break the link with the other club and then invest in its own facilites while player development suffers (unless a new training affiliate is found). It would be great if clubs could improve their own facilities during a training affiliation, so that they can return to use them without a drop in player training quality.

I'm really starting to lose the will to play this version- teams in terrible form seem to play like Barca in the match engine. I've just played a Leicester team who have 1 win in there last 12, yet 30 minutes in they're 3-0 up moving the ball around like Champions League winners, ripping my defence to shreds. I lose 4-1. Ok we move on. A few games later, a similar situation- Reading have 2 wins in 17 yet within 30 minutes they;ve scored two excellent goals with players moving the ball around, totally shutting down my team and generally playing like a team on top of the world. No matter the form, league position and confidence of these teams, or the tactics I employ, these teams just come out and play like they are top of the league without a care in the world.

I'm not saying I should be winning these games always but I never see the match engine really reflecting a team low on confidence or in poor form. Every team at the top level plays the same smooth passing style, regardless of form, confidence or even player quality and it's just a bit boring.

Looking through the Chelsea squad in 2022 in my save, they have a grand total of 1 goalkeeper across the first team, u21s and u18s.

I'm noticing a lot of big signings are not making their debuts. For example Arsenal signed Aleix Ranera for £15m, and eighteen months later he hasn't played once, and has no significant injury record to explain this. There are a number of big money players stuck in reserve teams in my save.

(I tried to upload a screenshot, but that didn't work, so you'll have to take my word for it!)

Nice, just sold a player because he was homesick and then another player got angry because i sold him, but there is no option to tell him that i sold this guy because he was homesick or that he requested the transfer. Now i have one of my best players angry with me for no reason, there is also no option to say this in the team meeting.

I've just posted this in the bug thread about crosses, I'm copy-pasting it here to see if people feel the same or have different feedback with what they're seeing in their games:

I'm more and more convinced this issue has little to do with the accuracy of crosses itself, and everything to do with a combination of issues with the surrounding circumstances. Which isn't good news as it'll be much harder for SI to fix that.

- teams defend too narrow and seem oblivious to any full backs moving upfield from deep without the ball. This explains the high fullback ratings, they're so often with so much space that they receive and make a lot of passes which in turn inflates their ratings. It also means that since the ball reaches their path so often, they tend to cross a lot (although this seems nerfed under some passages of play and instructions, as they'll dwell on the ball a bit and lose it, instead of crossing immediately) and therefore rack up a lot of assists.

<snip>

An excellent post IMHO. I've bolded that line because I am frustrated about WB/FBs being in acres of space to deliver a good cross but they wait, and wait, and wait, and wait so get closed down, the cross is blocked and another corner is conceded.

- marking in the area isn't good enough, almost every single one of these crossed goals is thanks to the ball reaching some completely unmarked player in the area. The back post area behind the defensive fullback seems also particularly vulnerable (although on this particular circumstance, players are rarely completely unmarked and instead seem to be really really good at beating the defender on speed/anticipation, regardless of attributes!). I wonder if the poor marking is connected to the generally timid closing down/loose marking all over the pitch, this is a completely separate issue that has absolutely nothing to do with crossed goals, but it appears you need to turn on "close down much more" to get a barely decent pressing game which is nuts. Some user in the tactics forum was lauding ball-winning midfielders for their criteria on waiting when to close down the player and when not, and this is the headless chicken role, and his team had the "close down more" TI on top of that! Defending players give too much space everywhere and it's not just in the area.

- by contrast very few crossed goals seem to be directly scored by a big man beating a defender in an aerial duel - with the exception if it's a corner, god help my team on defensive corners. Though I'm not sure there's a lack of attackers beating defenders on air, it's more a question of them rarely hitting the target with their headers. I understand it's harder to nail a perfect header into goal when you're marked and trying to beat someone else, than when you're given plenty of space to prepare your finish, but there still seems to be a lack of that kind of goals, whereas unmarked attackers too easily tap in crosses with their volleyed first touch.

- goalkeepers are absolutely sissies at leaving their goal to catch crosses, "command of area" attribute seems to help a tiny little bit but the keepers are just far too timid.

- possibly the one circumstance where crosses are a bit too accurate are early crosses from deep, particularly those to the back post. There also seems to be too many early crosses compared to late byline crosses, again this seems to be connected to the fullbacks dwelling on the ball far too much when they're near the byline.

So the issues are far, far more complex than "crosses are too good!", which is worrying as it's not something the devs can fix in 5 minutes by tweaking some numbers, it's also really easy to miss these issues when testing, as you give a quick look to stats and everything seems balanced and fine, it's only when you play a couple of seasons and try out a couple of different settings, that you start to see these poor patterns play out. It's also pretty damn hard to demonstrate all of these things through PKMs, it's rarely clearly bugged passages of play, it's more like subtle long-term inbalances.

well done sir, nailed it!

The crossing issue is particularly noticeable if you play against narrower formations that fill the centre of the pitch; 3-5-2s, diamond midfields, box midfields and others variants. If you play say 4-4-1-1 against a diamond your wide midfielders get sucked right into the centre of the pitch and they almost man mark the oppositions 4 central midfielders. This leaves the flanks wide open for their attacking fullbacks to get forward, who won't be closed down until they reach your own fullbacks. Apart from man marking the full backs with your wide midfielders, which creates other problems, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The whole concept of zonal coverage in midfield seem to have been lost.

Just start a game in Italy where most teams play narrow formations and see how much full backs and wingbacks dominate the assist charts.

The crossing issue is particularly noticeable if you play against narrower formations that fill the centre of the pitch; 3-5-2s, diamond midfields, box midfields and others variants. If you play say 4-4-1-1 against a diamond your wide midfielders get sucked right into the centre of the pitch and they almost man mark the oppositions 4 central midfielders. This leaves the flanks wide open for their attacking fullbacks to get forward, who won't be closed down until they reach your own fullbacks. Apart from man marking the full backs with your wide midfielders, which creates other problems, there is nothing you can do to stop it. The whole concept of zonal coverage in midfield seem to have been lost.

Just start a game in Italy where most teams play narrow formations and see how much full backs and wingbacks dominate the assist charts.

Yep, totally agree. I keep seeing teams in 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond still focusing all there play down the flanks with the full backs left in acres of space despite me having both a winger and fullback to deal with them. I mentioned earlier in the thread that Sunderland in this formation had their fullbacks combine for 37 crosses in one match against me.

Nice, just sold a player because he was homesick and then another player got angry because i sold him, but there is no option to tell him that i sold this guy because he was homesick or that he requested the transfer. Now i have one of my best players angry with me for no reason, there is also no option to say this in the team meeting.

Do you have a save game from before the player became unhappy about the sale of his teammate? If so, could you please upload your save and start a thread in the Other Gameplay Issues bugs forum?

Whats the in game date?

The scout report is from 19.07.26, when are the finances screenshot from? same date or later?

Is the scout that did the report the same one that said you couldn't afford the player?

Have you tried making a bid for the player?

Whats the in game date?

The scout report is from 19.07.26, when are the finances screenshot from? same date or later?

Is the scout that did the report the same one that said you couldn't afford the player?

Have you tried making a bid for the player?

Look at the finances graph. It stops around July 2026. Not really sure why the other parts are relevant, something is clearly up if they're saying a club with an £800mill+ budget can't afford £5mill.

Look at the finances graph. It stops around July 2026. Not really sure why the other parts are relevant, something is clearly up if they're saying a club with an £800mill+ budget can't afford £5mill.

It might stop around July 2026 but looking at the distance between months it might also stop in Aug or Sep 2026 which would make the scout report two months earlier and the situation might have changed.

The other parts are relevant because its possibly a different scout saying that the club couldn't afford the player given that the scout giving the report says the player is available for £2.6m-£4.6m at the time of the report.

Could it be a bug? yes, in which case report it in the bugs forum as you suggest but if we can identify the reason why from exploring the options then its possibly not a bug.

The most obvious possibilities as to why are different scouts or the situation has changed since the report, both of which need more information from FG before we can judge. We also need to know which screen the scout summary came from.

It might stop around July 2026 but looking at the distance between months it might also stop in Aug or Sep 2026 which would make the scout report two months earlier and the situation might have changed.

The other parts are relevant because its possibly a different scout saying that the club couldn't afford the player given that the scout giving the report says the player is available for £2.6m-£4.6m at the time of the report.

Could it be a bug? yes, in which case report it in the bugs forum as you suggest but if we can identify the reason why from exploring the options then its possibly not a bug.

The most obvious possibilities as to why are different scouts or the situation has changed since the report, both of which need more information from FG before we can judge. We also need to know which screen the scout summary came from.

Come on...in a couple of months, the guy's come into about £800 mill? No situation changes that much. And given that, if any scout is saying that that club can't afford £5 million, then they're clearly wrong.

It should be raised as a bug. Maybe SI come back and point out exactly why it's happened, great. But you're not going to get that here, you're just going to get the usual bun-fights.

Come on...in a couple of months, the guy's come into about £800 mill? No situation changes that much. And given that, if any scout is saying that that club can't afford £5 million, then they're clearly wrong.

It should be raised as a bug. Maybe SI come back and point out exactly why it's happened, great. But you're not going to get that here, you're just going to get the usual bun-fights.

You are being really obtuse here forameuss which seems unusual for you :(

Where did I say that the guys come into £800m?

I'll try to spell it out a bit clearer:

A) A different scout feels that Barcelona don't want to sell the player and has therefore said "Cannot afford". He would therefore have a different opinion to the scout report shown which may be down to his attributes or it may be a bug.

B) If the scout report is one or two months out of date the player may have signed a new contract, had a birthday and had his situation reviewed by Barcelona leading to it changing from the scout report.

On the other hand it might just be a bug but we don't have enough information to judge that atm. FG asked for an explanation and if he provides the extra information we might be able to explain it.

A) A different scout feels that Barcelona don't want to sell the player and has therefore said "Cannot afford". He would therefore have a different opinion to the scout report shown which may be down to his attributes or it may be a bug.

B) If the scout report is one or two months out of date the player may have signed a new contract, had a birthday and had his situation reviewed by Barcelona leading to it changing from the scout report.

On the other hand it might just be a bug but we don't have enough information to judge that atm. FG asked for an explanation and if he provides the extra information we might be able to explain it.

Both A and B never lead to scouts saying "we cannot afford this player" (at least in clubs with virtually unlimited funds). If the club doesn't want to sell then it's noted in the cons. There's a striker at Man City who they don't let go even for 150m - but scout reports never said I couldn't afford him.

Anyway I think my issue is with FFP, I am pretty much on the edge. If this is the case then it would be nice if scout reports actually said that instead of the vague 'can't afford'.

Totally agree with this first point- fullbacks often end up with insanely high crossing numbers, particularly in formations that don't have wingers. I played against a Sunderland team in a 4-3-1-2 formation and their fullbacks combined for 37 crosses as the defenders don't close down full backs even if there is no winger in front of them.

This is the formation I play. I've seen my "goals from crosses" stat for a season hit 50%, and my full-backs always finish the season with >7.50 average rating. It's probably even more pronounced/effective because I'm in Italy.

One frustrating thing I've noticed with the ME is how many times players get to the by line and shoot from ridiculous angles. These are quality players too who in real life would probably 90% of the time put those balls back across the middle.

I'm playing with Arsenal and without fail every time players get in a promising position at the by line they'll shoot. Happens with fullbacks, wingers, everybody.

You're telling me Hector Bellerin will repeatedly make great runs to get behind the defense only to shoot straight at the keeper from an impossible ange?

For a player to cross it they pretty much have to be outside of the 18 yard box. It seems like if they're in the area, no matter if 2 players are open in front of goal they take these shots. It's very frustrating when IRL 90% of the time these will be cut back across the goal.

Two of my key players (one Algerian, one Ivorian) have just missed a league game and a Champions League quarter-final because they're on international duty. Why the hell are African Cup of Nations qualifiers held at the same time as scheduled European domestic fixtures? Is this a bug?

First, i would like to say the ME is definitely in its best version this year and that's a great plus, but im sad to see how the opponents AI in this game is still as dumb as ever.

- Teams still make completely stupid signings, buying players for like 20m and then using them for like 5 games max in all the season. Then they sell them for half the money they paid

- Less than minimal player rotation, 11-14 players play like 50+ matches and the rest are heavily underused. I mean i found Jack Wilshere as free agent in 2020 and nobody wanted him because he hadn't played a single game in the last 4 seasons. This problem is also connected to the issue above.

- Teams make completely stupid signings part 2, i've noticed fairly often teams will try to buy back a good player they sold 1-2 years before.

- At least in my experience, competition for league titles is very bad. Unless one team is clearly superior to others (like Juventus in Italy), the clubs fighting for the title will never be consistent enough to pose a decent challenge for the human player. I can win the league title every year with 7+ points of lead easy as the other clubs just can't keep consistent results. Maybe this too is connected to the lack of squad rotation?

- And for last, and this year this issue seems at his craziest stage, the teams make completely impossible unrealistic stupid manager signings. Inter sacked Mancini 4 months into first season, then they signed a guy that lasted like 1 year, then they signed Mazzari (which was sacked in 2015)and sacked him again. Then they hired Sarri which left mid season to go manage Norwich(!!!) and they signed Mancini again, who was managing Athletic Bilbao.

Meanwhile Hierro is manager of PSG and Simeone just got sacked by West Ham, Luis Enrique is managing Atletico Madrid and Roma (during mid season) just signed the manager of Albinoleffe who was currently 15th in the Serie B. Napoli also fired their manager 2 days before the return leg of Champions League quarter finals vs me. And those are only the ones that catched my eye, i dread to check the other major teams :D I mean i know it's a game and everything, but my immersion can't take that many blows lol

I just wish they spent less time for the trivial stuff and more on the core features of the game, and hope the devs will improve them next year...

Is there a problem with International management on the game as i fancy a spot of international management alongside my club side and when i apply for a job i get rejected straight away and the nation then appoints a foreign manager with a smaller reputation than me.

this applies for any nation the latest one being Gambia.

is it a bug or has managing a national side become more difficult on FM16

Two of my key players (one Algerian, one Ivorian) have just missed a league game and a Champions League quarter-final because they're on international duty. Why the hell are African Cup of Nations qualifiers held at the same time as scheduled European domestic fixtures? Is this a bug?

Just had this myself.

First, i would like to say the ME is definitely in its best version this year and that's a great plus, but im sad to see how the opponents AI in this game is still as dumb as ever.

- Teams still make completely stupid signings, buying players for like 20m and then using them for like 5 games max in all the season. Then they sell them for half the money they paid

- Less than minimal player rotation, 11-14 players play like 50+ matches and the rest are heavily underused. I mean i found Jack Wilshere as free agent in 2020 and nobody wanted him because he hadn't played a single game in the last 4 seasons. This problem is also connected to the issue above.

- Teams make completely stupid signings part 2, i've noticed fairly often teams will try to buy back a good player they sold 1-2 years before.

- At least in my experience, competition for league titles is very bad. Unless one team is clearly superior to others (like Juventus in Italy), the clubs fighting for the title will never be consistent enough to pose a decent challenge for the human player. I can win the league title every year with 7+ points of lead easy as the other clubs just can't keep consistent results. Maybe this too is connected to the lack of squad rotation?

Totally agree. Its been FM's dirty little secret forever. Managers are usually much too busy concentrating on their own team to notice the idiocy going on in the AI teams.

Much lauded, and rightfully so for their player database (Created on the backs of loyal FM scouts) Its a total waste on Si's part not to create a realistic world football sim.

I guess the game is selling well enough with no viable competition for them to bother putting in the extra work for this to be realised, so they will just ignore these requests, as they always do.

Again with the mental profiling of posters...it's creepy.

You mentioned circumstances changing between a scout report being made, and the current date. Circumstances would have to change a great deal for the player not to be able to afford him when the scout report was made, and now having over 800 million.

Your two points just seem like arguing for the sake of arguing. Neither situation would adequately explain why such a rich club would be told they couldn't afford a player. Whether it's the game telling you something but meaning something else, or the game just getting it wrong, either way it's a bug.

And I'm obtuse? Deary me...

Anyway I think my issue is with FFP, I am pretty much on the edge. If this is the case then it would be nice if scout reports actually said that instead of the vague 'can't afford'.

Could well be. I'd still raise it as a bug though, as any case where it's telling you something, but meaning something else should be clarified.

I don't normally complain, but yes, like others have said, there is something wrong with crossing and how centre backs deal with it. Too often the narrative of my games is best the other team in every statistical department then oops can't deal with that cross from deep, lose 1-0. Centre backs end up with a low rating because of the 'mistake' of not cutting out the cross. Same goes for player managed teams too, it's easy to exploit how strong crossing is in this version, even if everything else your team does doesn't work.

Losing the odd game like that, sure. Not to the extent it does happen though.

Totally agree. Its been FM's dirty little secret forever. Managers are usually much too busy concentrating on their own team to notice the idiocy going on in the AI teams.

Much lauded, and rightfully so for their player database (Created on the backs of loyal FM scouts) Its a total waste on Si's part not to create a realistic world football sim.

I guess the game is selling well enough with no viable competition for them to bother putting in the extra work for this to be realised, so they will just ignore these requests, as they always do.

The underlying point is actually OK - I agree that the game is too easy because the AI squad management is far weaker than our own. However, it's an enormously complex area to code and one that SI continue to work hard on. Just because it doesn't perfectly replicate a "realistic football world" doesn't mean that a load of effort doesn't go into this key area.

That bit about competition, sales and ignoring requests? Just hyperbolic rubbish with no actual foundation.

One frustrating thing I've noticed with the ME is how many times players get to the by line and shoot from ridiculous angles. These are quality players too who in real life would probably 90% of the time put those balls back across the middle.

I'm playing with Arsenal and without fail every time players get in a promising position at the by line they'll shoot. Happens with fullbacks, wingers, everybody.

You're telling me Hector Bellerin will repeatedly make great runs to get behind the defense only to shoot straight at the keeper from an impossible ange?

For a player to cross it they pretty much have to be outside of the 18 yard box. It seems like if they're in the area, no matter if 2 players are open in front of goal they take these shots. It's very frustrating when IRL 90% of the time these will be cut back across the goal.

I agree with this and I think it's down to the fact that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between "work ball into box" and "default". If you leave it on default it's almost an invitation to shoot from anywhere but if you use "work into box" my IF's will get quite close and shoot in the area at an impossible angle when you are screaming at them to either play a ball across the 6 yard area or pull back a ball for players in and around the penalty spot. My IF's generally get their goals from getting on the end of crosses from full backs crossing to the far post but I am glad they do because I doubt they would score otherwise. Movement of IF's is very limited laterally, in fact I would argue that lateral movement is bad again this year. Even if I have roaming on my IF's they generally don't pop up anywhere else bar the side that they are playing. There seems to be a lack of dribbling from IF's as well IMO. But as I said above there just doesn't seem to be much middle ground between "work ball into box" and "default". God knows what "shoot on sight" is like!!

I am finding that player values are pretty ridiculous. I had a good season finishing in the Top Four and quite fancy taking a gamble on Victor Moses and Carl Jenkinson - Reserves at Chelsea and Arsenal -. They both had good seasons to be fair so I would expect their value to have increased but upon enquiring Moses is now valued at 26M up from a start of season value of 10.75 M. Chelsea start negotiations at 84M, that's 63 M up front and 21M in instalments. For a Chelsea reserve?!?!? I can't get them lower than 30 million in discussions!!! Jenkinson is valued at 20M up from 7.5. Arsenal start negotiations at 61M, 45M up front and 12 M in instalments. I can't get them lower in discussions than 25M. All that for a reserve full back?!?! It seems a tad extreme especially when Clubs come in for my top players and don't offer anything more that 8 - 10 million tops.

Another piece of feedback. I put this in the wish list but am hoping something might be able to be sorted for the last patch.

I would like it if SI could add roles and duties on formation screens of old matches that you look back on. Ideally on both your team and the opposition as I think it would help your management knowing what roles and duties the opposition played but certainly for your team it would be a great help. Some matches I will change a role or two within my tactic and may go out an beat say Spurs 2-0. Later in the season when playing Spurs again I will look at the older game to see how I played but all that shows up under the formation tab is the players names set in the shape you played along with the formations name at the top but no roles or duties so you can't see any subtle changes you may have made for that fixture. I'm sure you could see this sort of info etc in FM15 but I may be wrong

I agree with this and I think it's down to the fact that there doesn't seem to be any middle ground between "work ball into box" and "default".

"Shoot Less Often".

A suggestion I was talking through with a pal of mine was around the intake of youth players.

Year in, year out, an influx of regen 15/16 year old lads get uploaded into your youth academy without you having any kind of say. At clubs big and small, the manager would have a significant say in which players can be apart of the youth squads, even pre-contract.

What I'd like to see come the end of the season, is for your head of Youth Academy shows you a list of about 50 players, and you can pick your 20 odd choices? This would add to the realism.

On the topic of youth, when there is a trial day, why are the core of the players over 21? They should be between 14 and 16. If you're managing any club in the top tier, why would they look to a 20 something year old player?

A suggestion I was talking through with a pal of mine was around the intake of youth players.

Year in, year out, an influx of regen 15/16 year old lads get uploaded into your youth academy without you having any kind of say. At clubs big and small, the manager would have a significant say in which players can be apart of the youth squads, even pre-contract.

What I'd like to see come the end of the season, is for your head of Youth Academy shows you a list of about 50 players, and you can pick your 20 odd choices? This would add to the realism.

On the topic of youth, when there is a trial day, why are the core of the players over 21? They should be between 14 and 16. If you're managing any club in the top tier, why would they look to a 20 something year old player?

Suggestions should go into the wishlist thread here in GD.

Players begging to play matches during off-season : WTF ? And also players are moaning way too many times to play when they have rotation or backup contracts ! FIX IT ! It's annoying !

If you would like to learn where you're going wrong & how you should look to manage your players feel free to start a thread & make a copy of your save available for people to download, there are a group who are more than happy to help if you're willing to take on new ways of thinking.

The overlap/fbs sitting too narrow whilst defending conundrum should spring occasionally interesting match dynamics when coupled with FM's AI tactics. Previously anyways, if you were a favorite in particular, it was a very very very common thing you started out the vast majority of matches against AI who barely advanced their fbs, like ever. However, late in the match, if there's still a chance to get back into the match, it might overload, including overloading both the flanks, and both backs aggressively pushing up. This would create the overlaps on both flanks, whilst previously the AI may have proven zero threat. Naturally no overall match stat would reflect this properly.

"Shoot Less Often".

I feel this is an area that's often hugely exaggerated, personally. It didn't start with FM 2016 either. I wish at least long-term players would take at least a modicum of time and do some basic analysis rather than spreading myths about the code making up for supposedly too many chances by supposedly generally subpar finishing (never did, ever -- the average conversion of about 10% of all shots is completely in line with football for the most basic start, shots on target are somewhere 40-50% depending on which typically for AI, human users can be well above and if they insist on it, well below, like by forcing players to shoot by limiting options/movement plus encourage to shoot on sight for 90 minutes, but then that should look seriously worse).

Individually, there'll likely be always things to be tweaked. However, I've seen many apply "work ball into box" plus "shoot less" player instructions across the board as a default, which is just nonsense or at the very least, highly paranoic. On 2015, for fun I insisted a team full of world class specialist players (partly database edits, you'll rarely have specialists in such numbers unless you focus on this area entirelly) to shoot on sight for 90 minutes, and scored like more than twenty goals from range. Limiting shots from range also limits player's options. Shots rarely directly lead to goals anyway, but they can also be deflected for corners, and are an option for players under pressure getting rid of the ball, rather than being dispossessed, possibly exposing their side upon this.

Regardless whether there's a real big issue with some finishes individually, that's something worth considering.

Shots rarely directly lead to goals anyway, but they can also be deflected for corners, and are an option for players under pressure getting rid of the ball, rather than being dispossessed, possibly exposing their side upon this.

I actually find long shots are one of the biggest ways my side can be exposed, they virtually never get a small deflection, it's almost always deflected away from the opposition goal, often leading to counter attacks.

Players begging to play matches during off-season : WTF ?

I find this makes sense, it's realistic for a player to have a clear-the-air chat with the manager along the lines of "I didn't play as much as I want last season, what are my chances of first team football this season" during the close-season, and it's logical that a player would want to do this as the transfer window opens. It also gives me the window to get shut if it comes to it, rather than have him sulking in the stiffs and poisoning the dressing room because he demanded a move while the transfer window was closed, and it was impossible to appease him.

I don't normally complain, but yes, like others have said, there is something wrong with crossing and how centre backs deal with it. Too often the narrative of my games is best the other team in every statistical department then oops can't deal with that cross from deep, lose 1-0. Centre backs end up with a low rating because of the 'mistake' of not cutting out the cross. Same goes for player managed teams too, it's easy to exploit how strong crossing is in this version, even if everything else your team does doesn't work.

Losing the odd game like that, sure. Not to the extent it does happen though.

That's not really the issue at all though. Your centre backs deal with crosses all game (hence why so few crosses actually connect with their target, check some of the crazy figures in prozone). You'll pretty much only see the ones they don't as others won't make the highlight reel. The main issue with crosses seems to be the overall amount of them in certain tactical set ups, and this could be down to poor defensive positioning out wide. With so many crosses being pinged in, your centre halves can't possibly deal with them all.

And would also significantly add to the processing time. Because it wouldn't just be your club, every club would have this huge list generated at the same time (or thereabouts). The current system works well enough whether it's ultra realistic or not. You still get a fairly big list of players, and you've still got input on which ones to keep around even if it's just for the trial period.

I can see your thinking for this idea, but it would simply increase processing far more than there would be any tangible benefit IMO.

This year ME is all about crossing. If you dont like it you can still change your wide defenders to FB - Defend but expect much less shots on target. Crosses are overpowered in current state - exploit it or wait for fix :)