Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

• SI Staff
Enjoying it atm, not much to grieve about. Unhappiness seems to be only issue, players going OTT when they are reserve players 18/19 years old.

One example of a bug would be a player who sat in reserves all season happy, no games. Soon as I put him in the first team after the league had finished but not new pre-season he was unhappy. Seemed completely triggered by his promotion times by zero appearances.

Also I have a player refusing to sign a contract, started the last ten games, has 4 different happy responses and is in great morale however due to "wants to go out on loan" he won't sign a contract. Tried changing him to indispensable etc it just won't work. Needs to be more dynamic, that lad should not leave.

Hey Citizen Kane,

Such examples sounds as if they would be worth posting in here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/524-Other-Gameplay-Issues

Please include a save illustrating the issue if you still have one and we can take a look into it.

Cheers,

Seb.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also I have a player refusing to sign a contract, started the last ten games, has 4 different happy responses and is in great morale however due to "wants to go out on loan" he won't sign a contract. Tried changing him to indispensable etc it just won't work. Needs to be more dynamic, that lad should not leave.

That's a known issue, and a hugely annoying one. I lost four promising youngsters on frees at the end of my last season there because they wouldn't sign new contracts, purely because no team came in for them on loan. Even though on the promises tab, they were all happy I'd tried to loan them out.

This one

You warned him for the first red when it should have been a 2 week fine. If you had done that his personality/attributes may have adjusted as a result which means what followed might not have happened."

That's fine "but" is that a general rule of thumb? Is that saying that if I had fined him two weeks wages then he wouldn't have had the second dismissal? Whereas by only warning him that was my mistake? If so does that apply to all players? If so that's a shame as personality/attributes should come into it in the first place as should management skills. Like some players need an arm around the shoulder and some need a kick up the backside rather than a one shoe fits all situation. An out of character challenge by the Captain in the first game of the season I would consider a warning as a two week fine straight off I believe is an OTT reaction. That's just my opinion though.

I think the main issue though is that with Mark Nobles personality and attributes two dismissals in two matches shouldn't be happening though, especially with no rhyme or reason for it. If it had been Julian Dicks I would have accepted that!!!

That's fine "but" is that a general rule of thumb? Is that saying that if I had fined him two weeks wages then he wouldn't have had the second dismissal?

Of course not. He could have had a slightly better attitude if you fined him originally, which may have helped in future.

Its another example of you having an issue with the game Sussex because it doesn't work in the way you want/expect it to.

Its ok to have a different opinion but you need to recognise how SI have coded the game and how it works (even if its different) to the way you expect else you cause problems & frustration for yourself.

That's fine "but" is that a general rule of thumb? Is that saying that if I had fined him two weeks wages then he wouldn't have had the second dismissal? Whereas by only warning him that was my mistake? If so does that apply to all players?

If you fine someone when its appropriate and when its expected by the coding you have a chance to alter their personality/attributes. It doesn't always happen but if it does then the second dismissal might not have happened as his attributes would have been different. On the other hand it might not have made any difference whatsoever but it gave you a chance.

A second point is if you don't fine a player when the coding expects you to then you are also running a risk of other players reacting negatively.

If so that's a shame as personality/attributes should come into it in the first place as should management skills. Like some players need an arm around the shoulder and some need a kick up the backside rather than a one shoe fits all situation.

Its not a one shoe fits all situation in the least & personality/attributes play a role as you would expect in how that player & others react to your decisions.

An out of character challenge by the Captain in the first game of the season I would consider a warning as a two week fine straight off I believe is an OTT reaction. That's just my opinion though.

As per the first part of this post its ok to have that opinion and I would probably agree with it in the real world but thats not the way FM is coded and you need to adapt your decisions to match the coding if you don't want to have issues.

Its another example of you having an issue with the game Sussex because it doesn't work in the way you want/expect it to.

Its ok to have a different opinion but you need to recognise how SI have coded the game and how it works (even if its different) to the way you expect else you cause problems & frustration for yourself.

If you fine someone when its appropriate and when its expected by the coding you have a chance to alter their personality/attributes. It doesn't always happen but if it does then the second dismissal might not have happened as his attributes would have been different. On the other hand it might not have made any difference whatsoever but it gave you a chance.

A second point is if you don't fine a player when the coding expects you to then you are also running a risk of other players reacting negatively.

Its not a one shoe fits all situation in the least & personality/attributes play a role as you would expect in how that player & others react to your decisions.

As per the first part of this post its ok to have that opinion and I would probably agree with it in the real world but thats not the way FM is coded and you need to adapt your decisions to match the coding if you don't want to have issues.

Good answer and fair point. Apologies if I sound over critical, I guess it's just at times like you say real world is different to the way FM is coded so where in real life you can make decisions based on someone's personality, professionalism and reaction in FM it is a little different. I guess that could bring another argument on how gamers are expected to know "what the coding expects you to do", especially if game logic is different to real life logic but hopefully more emotional human reactions and responses will improve as FM develops. Maybe one thing that would help is added visible attributes rather than hidden ones. It's possible that I may have reacted differently if I had known Nobles Professionalism stat maybe and if it were high I may have fined him from the off rather than erring on the side of caution. Maybe also an option of a quick "chat" with an explanation to the player as to why you have "warned" "fined" him would also help smooth things over. I am not sure if that is an option in this years Full Fat game.

I guess one advantage of players not being aware of fines, warnings etc being carried over is that I haven't set my stall out with regard to other players for obviously if they were then I could hardly fine another player first time after only warning Noble,.

I know I can be over vocal at times with my criticisms of the game but I only really voice my annoyances. If I commented regularly on what I like about the game rather than my criticisms the likes would far outweigh the dislikes by 500-1. I only mention the dislikes as way of feedback. If I didn't enjoy it warts and all I wouldn't play it!! Or maybe "addicted" is a better word.

Good answer and fair point. Apologies if I sound over critical, I guess it's just at times like you say real world is different to the way FM is coded so where in real life you can make decisions based on someone's personality, professionalism and reaction in FM it is a little different. I guess that could bring another argument on how gamers are expected to know "what the coding expects you to do", especially if game logic is different to real life logic but hopefully more emotional human reactions and responses will improve as FM develops.

The thing is - it's been like that for years, and I have brought it up myself.

I can only presume that to add a layer of fining people and having that person remember what they were fined for and then adding on to that fine, then the other players have to know that this is your policy etc.

It has a huge knock on effect.

The thing is to learn the behaviour of the game and note how your actions affect morale amongst the players. That's part of the 'game' too.

It's all well and good to say 'just make the players accept more fines' but it's probably a lot harder to code than it sounds.

Plus, for all we know FM have been testing different methods of fining players for years - and they just aren't ready to release it as it doesn't work as expected.

Therefore the current model stays in place until such a time a fining system that works better is ready.

• SI Staff
Has anybody done any analysis on the amount of missed penalties to see if it's in line with real life statistics?

Hey King Costly,

We do this internally. If you've got evidence that suggests the numbers are significantly over/under that of real life, please do post in here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues

PKMs and saves will help illustrate any issues. Details on uploading can be found in there.

Cheers,

Seb.

Never seen this before, but it seems a bit bizarre.

Got my team promoted to League 1, and just before the end of the season, held a team meeting to say most of the existing squad would get a chance to prove themselves in the following season. The players concerned all had entries in the 'promises' tab about it, but none of them were essentially unhappy.

Players have just come back from holiday, and in my first team meeting of the new season, one player has kicked up a fuss about the amount of players I've signed over the summer, unhappy that I'd effectively broken my promise to him.

The thing is, I haven't signed a single player yet, primarily because we've just been taken over by new owners and they're swithering on whether to keep me or appoint Teddy Sheringham as boss. So I'm not strengthening until that gets sorted out. So there's not even any pending offers yet.

Quite bizarre. He's just a back up anyway, who I'll probably be moving on, so it's no great biggie in this instance, but I've never seen that 'feature' before. Might need a bit of tweaking.

• SI Staff
Never seen this before, but it seems a bit bizarre.

Got my team promoted to League 1, and just before the end of the season, held a team meeting to say most of the existing squad would get a chance to prove themselves in the following season. The players concerned all had entries in the 'promises' tab about it, but none of them were essentially unhappy.

Players have just come back from holiday, and in my first team meeting of the new season, one player has kicked up a fuss about the amount of players I've signed over the summer, unhappy that I'd effectively broken my promise to him.

The thing is, I haven't signed a single player yet, primarily because we've just been taken over by new owners and they're swithering on whether to keep me or appoint Teddy Sheringham as boss. So I'm not strengthening until that gets sorted out. So there's not even any pending offers yet.

Quite bizarre. He's just a back up anyway, who I'll probably be moving on, so it's no great biggie in this instance, but I've never seen that 'feature' before. Might need a bit of tweaking.

Hey Dagenham_Dave,

Worth posting that in here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/524-Other-Gameplay-Issues - along with a save from just before that team meeting, if you still happen to have it.

Cheers,

Seb.

To have only conceded only four times from crosses in seven games, I'd say your tactics weren't really the issue, however playing with wingbacks will allow certain teams a bit more space in wide areas. To be honest, and no offence here, I'm still scratching my head trying to work out what your actual issue is. That sample size is way too small to tell anything. But by all means, upload your save if you feel it's 'bugged'.

no issue really, just a deja vu in almost every cross for two seasons now.

Why are AI teams so ruthless in front of goal? I'm playing poorer teams and they are constantly finishing a very high percentage of their shots on target - it's worrying.

In my 18 league games I've conceded 16 goals which is pretty decent. In the games I've drawn (which had goals in) or lost, the opposition have scored ten goals from 16 shots on target.

My last two games I've lost 1-0 and drawn 2-2 and those three goals came from three shots on target, something definitely doesn't seem right. I know people have talked about countering being OP but it's how clinical the poorer teams are which is frustrating for me.

Why are AI teams so ruthless in front of goal? I'm playing poorer teams and they are constantly finishing a very high percentage of their shots on target - it's worrying.

In my 18 league games I've conceded 16 goals which is pretty decent. In the games I've drawn (which had goals in) or lost, the opposition have scored ten goals from 16 shots on target.

My last two games I've lost 1-0 and drawn 2-2 and those three goals came from three shots on target, something definitely doesn't seem right. I know people have talked about countering being OP but it's how clinical the poorer teams are which is frustrating for me.

They have a good conversion rate because you probably have a tactic/formation/shape that is weak to counter attacking and leaves you open so when they manage to get a chance its normally a good one.

Re the discussion on the previous page, I score a lot of goals and concede a lot of them as well, from crosses to the far post. Definitely seems far too much. This has been the case for quite a few seasons now, over 2 different teams I've managed (albeit I've kept the same tactics).

They have a good conversion rate because you probably have a tactic/formation/shape that is weak to counter attacking and leaves you open so when they manage to get a chance its normally a good one.

I wouldn't say that was the problem. I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with an anchor man and it's not really counters they're scoring from. I don't know if it's my defenders switching off but I've just had another one where I've drawn 1-1 despite completely dominating and they've scored one of their two shots on target. Yes, I know I should score more than one, but this is a worrying trend now that I'm not entirely convinced is bad luck/tactical.

I wouldn't say that was the problem. I'm playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with an anchor man and it's not really counters they're scoring from. I don't know if it's my defenders switching off but I've just had another one where I've drawn 1-1 despite completely dominating and they've scored one of their two shots on target. Yes, I know I should score more than one, but this is a worrying trend now that I'm not entirely convinced is bad luck/tactical.

Its totally tactical, there is no doubt about that.

Obviously you haven't given me all the details but 41221 with an anchor man is a fairly open formation that leaves a fair amount of space at the back, particularly if you use a higher mentality which will see players push forward more/close down more to try to win the ball back higher up the pitch. On a sidenote I found a halfback rather than an anchor man the better choice in previous versions as he sits more and protects the DCs better IMO.

If you are the better/higher rep team then the opposition are going to play more defensively which means they will take their time and look for good openings. Basically they are focused on creating high quality chances so it shouldn't be a surprise that their conversation rate is higher in that situation.

Its totally tactical, there is no doubt about that.

Obviously you haven't given me all the details but 41221 with an anchor man is a fairly open formation that leaves a fair amount of space at the back, particularly if you use a higher mentality which will see players push forward more/close down more to try to win the ball back higher up the pitch. On a sidenote I found a halfback rather than an anchor man the better choice in previous versions as he sits more and protects the DCs better IMO.

If you are the better/higher rep team then the opposition are going to play more defensively which means they will take their time and look for good openings. Basically they are focused on creating high quality chances so it shouldn't be a surprise that their conversation rate is higher in that situation.

My two CMs are on BBM and DLP (S) so there shouldn't be too much space. I almost never play above standard mentality and have used counter a lot against these smaller teams. All that means is they counter you when you counter them...

HBs fall back and almost become another CB though don't they? I like the anchorman sitting in front and stopping the supply to the striker before playing simple passes and keeping possession.

It's frustrating because I'm battering these teams, hitting the woodwork an awful lot (mainly because my forwards are pretty dreadful and keepers are bloody brilliant from open play), yet you always know one of those first couple of shots for the opposition on target are going in. Apart from never allowing a shot on target, I'm not really sure what else I can do!

I guess I'll just have to go more attacking and score more so when we inevitably concede, it doesn't alter that many results.

My two CMs are on BBM and DLP (S) so there shouldn't be too much space. I almost never play above standard mentality and have used counter a lot against these smaller teams.

This is straying down the tactics forum route to be honest. The fact that you have an Anchor and whatever combination in front doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter if you have three Anchor Men playing across the DM line because defending is not just about midfield. If you want advice, please post in the tactics forum.

My two CMs are on BBM and DLP (S) so there shouldn't be too much space. I almost never play above standard mentality and have used counter a lot against these smaller teams. All that means is they counter you when you counter them...

HBs fall back and almost become another CB though don't they? I like the anchorman sitting in front and stopping the supply to the striker before playing simple passes and keeping possession.

It's frustrating because I'm battering these teams, hitting the woodwork an awful lot (mainly because my forwards are pretty dreadful and keepers are bloody brilliant from open play), yet you always know one of those first couple of shots for the opposition on target are going in. Apart from never allowing a shot on target, I'm not really sure what else I can do!

I guess I'll just have to go more attacking and score more so when we inevitably concede, it doesn't alter that many results.

Perception & expectation are important as well.

Its unrealistic to try to shut your opponents out completely, ie not let them have a shot.

First goal in those sort of matches are also vital as it sets the tone for the rest of the game. If you get it it forces the opposition to come forward at some point leaving you more space but if they get the first goal it gives them even more reason to shut up shop frustrating your team further.

The aim/focus in these games should always be to score twice and then if the opposition do create the odd chance or score from a set piece you'll still win.

You can check the shots to goals ratio for every team in the league if you look at the detailed team stats.

I think it only shows shots on target but as it gives you a percentage of your shots on target you can work it back and do total shots vs goals as well as shots on target vs goals.

I did it after a season in the Championship and all teams were within a 2% variance of between about 6%-8% total shots to goals.

I don't think you can get stats that include clear cut chances + half chances etc.

And, of course the bulk of these stats reflect AI vs AI games so those of you feeling persecuted by the ME in Human vs AI games will not be satisfied with this :lol:

How many seasons must pass before Leo Messi stops winning balon d'or and foorballer of the year awards. This is risicilous. I've played 7 seasons and he won these two awards 7 times. His physical stats are barely taken a dent and he is 34 or 35 years old. I know he is the best but this is just too much.

How many seasons must pass before Leo Messi stops winning balon d'or and foorballer of the year awards. This is risicilous. I've played 7 seasons and he won these two awards 7 times. His physical stats are barely taken a dent and he is 34 or 35 years old. I know he is the best but this is just too much.

If Messi keep playing tremendously well season after season, that's possible.

It's also very possible for someone to beat both him and Ronaldo to those awards, even in the first season. In my save, James Rodríguez won the 2015 Ballon d'Or and World Player of the Year.

• SI Staff
Just had my first experience of the staff compensation page when offered a new job, brilliant addition!

BUT - the scrolls didn't keep their place when clicking on a staff member, which was massively problematic

Hey An Olive Branch,

Could you please log any UI issues such as that in here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/522-User-Interface-Issues

Cheers,

Seb.

Just saw one of my defenders perfectly recreate the Memphis Depay header error from a few weeks ago. Excellent

Ha! Me too! Unfortunately it was Laporte in his debut after a 35.5m transfer AND against Suarez who duly netted with a screamer.

I swear to god this ME is completly broken

Its to freaking hard to score a goal not from a cross its unreal!

It's not completely broken, it is however highly susceptible to goals scored from crosses and mainly from the AI, I literally have the worst luck in the world. The amount of chances/clear cut chances I create compared to convert is the most frustrating part of this game. I hit the post, bar, put the ball wide from a seemingly impossible to do so position, the keeper makes a ridiculous save from 2 yards out. One of the games I just played I had 7 attempts and 81% possession in the first 10 minutes, I was already 2-0 down by this point. The AI is absolutely ruthless and they will find any way possible to score - it is certainly the most difficult FM i have played in a while. But it's not broken.

Edit: I thought that on FM15 that the counter attacking against stronger teams was far too effective, yet this year it has been stated here that it's going to be even more effective, I wish they'd toned it down - not up!

That's fine "but" is that a general rule of thumb? Is that saying that if I had fined him two weeks wages then he wouldn't have had the second dismissal? Whereas by only warning him that was my mistake? If so does that apply to all players? If so that's a shame as personality/attributes should come into it in the first place as should management skills. Like some players need an arm around the shoulder and some need a kick up the backside rather than a one shoe fits all situation. An out of character challenge by the Captain in the first game of the season I would consider a warning as a two week fine straight off I believe is an OTT reaction. That's just my opinion though.

I think the main issue though is that with Mark Nobles personality and attributes two dismissals in two matches shouldn't be happening though, especially with no rhyme or reason for it. If it had been Julian Dicks I would have accepted that!!!

To follow on from this, I've had the same guy sent off three times and it's only just over halfway through the season. I warned him first time - he accepted. I fined him one week the second time - he accepted. I fined him two weeks the third time - he thought it was completely unfair.... Is my reasoning for doing it in stages justified or am I doing something wrong? if he committs the same act for the 3rd time in 23 games surely he must be expecting 2 weeks fine?

To follow on from this, I've had the same guy sent off three times and it's only just over halfway through the season. I warned him first time - he accepted. I fined him one week the second time - he accepted. I fined him two weeks the third time - he thought it was completely unfair.... Is my reasoning for doing it in stages justified or am I doing something wrong? if he committs the same act for the 3rd time in 23 games surely he must be expecting 2 weeks fine?

Your doing it wrong as has been explained several times recently.

Each incident is separate & individual and should be treated as such. You should have given him a one week fine for each incident (Unless it was a violent challenge) so your first warning was too soft, the one week fine was right and your two week fine was too much which led to his reaction.

It's not completely broken, it is however highly susceptible to goals scored from crosses and mainly from the AI, I literally have the worst luck in the world. The amount of chances/clear cut chances I create compared to convert is the most frustrating part of this game. I hit the post, bar, put the ball wide from a seemingly impossible to do so position, the keeper makes a ridiculous save from 2 yards out. One of the games I just played I had 7 attempts and 81% possession in the first 10 minutes, I was already 2-0 down by this point. The AI is absolutely ruthless and they will find any way possible to score - it is certainly the most difficult FM i have played in a while. But it's not broken.

Edit: I thought that on FM15 that the counter attacking against stronger teams was far too effective, yet this year it has been stated here that it's going to be even more effective, I wish they'd toned it down - not up!

For me its broken

I play in more centre areas on the field,in 3 matches i had 16 (!!) CCC , and only 1 goal.

Its very frustring

For me its broken

I play in more centre areas on the field,in 3 matches i had 16 (!!) CCC , and only 1 goal.

Its very frustring

It's not broken, you're just not doing it right. If you've any interest in sorting it as opposed to wildly complaining about it being broken, then head over to the tactics forum. Otherwise I'd suggest leaving some more constructive feedback or the mods will just delete your posts.

I remember 14 very fondly, but as my first, perhaps I just didn't know better. It just seemed possible to make teams do what you want, different styles of play very possible. Rose tinted specs in full effect, that pair of cup games against Arsenal as a League 2 side.... sigh, cup magic...

15 felt a tad too easy if you played certain ways, but most styles were still doable, perhaps it took more work.

16 so far is more difficult, frustrating at times. Crossing is a bit overpowered, and teams are happy to sit on contain more often, even from the start of games. Challenge is good though!

It is odd some valuations. In my game I wanted to keep Carl Jenkinson but Arsenal valued him at 64 million and yet left him in the Reserves!!!

On the subject of Transfers something really needs to be done about loans. I have no issue getting my youngsters loaned out but cannot for the life of me get Doneil Henry a Canadian International out on loan. Have tried my DOF, tried on my own, offered as a totally free loan and yet no Club comes in. This is really frustrating because he isn't in my First Team plans and yet is getting frustrated because he isn't playing. As a last resort I even tried selling him but still no offers. Was always the first player I loaned out in FM15.

It's also a bit of a problem getting players on loan in with regard to those that you already have on loan at the start of the game. At the end of the season players who have played on loan for you for 12 months and have had a lot of game time and have done well seem to totally forget that they were at your Club. Suddenly they won't come back for reasons like your Club isn't big enough or they want to play a higher standard of football but seem to forget that your Club finished higher in the League than they did IRL when that player originally signed on loan. Their real life reasons, especially in the case of Jenkinson and Song who have now been on loan at West Ham for two seasons seem to become obsolete in the game and they suddenly become happier to sit in the Reserves at Barca and Arsenal than come back and play regularly at West Ham.

It is odd some valuations. In my game I wanted to keep Carl Jenkinson but Arsenal valued him at 64 million and yet left him in the Reserves!!!

On the subject of Transfers something really needs to be done about loans. I have no issue getting my youngsters loaned out but cannot for the life of me get Doneil Henry a Canadian International out on loan. Have tried my DOF, tried on my own, offered as a totally free loan and yet no Club comes in. This is really frustrating because he isn't in my First Team plans and yet is getting frustrated because he isn't playing. As a last resort I even tried selling him but still no offers. Was always the first player I loaned out in FM15.

It's also a bit of a problem getting players on loan in with regard to those that you already have on loan at the start of the game. At the end of the season players who have played on loan for you for 12 months and have had a lot of game time and have done well seem to totally forget that they were at your Club. Suddenly they won't come back for reasons like your Club isn't big enough or they want to play a higher standard of football but seem to forget that your Club finished higher in the League than they did IRL when that player originally signed on loan. Their real life reasons, especially in the case of Jenkinson and Song who have now been on loan at West Ham for two seasons seem to become obsolete in the game and they suddenly become happier to sit in the Reserves at Barca and Arsenal than come back and play regularly at West Ham.

I suspect that is a consequence of the awful reputation system that messes up a lot of things around player movements.

Archived