The Art of Analysis and Tweaking (The Brazilian Box 4-2-2-2)

i'm sorry to up what is a rather old thread but i can't seem to find the other thread on this subject. i seem to remember quite a few distinguished posters on here chipping in and arriving at a couple of interpretations of the brazilian box midfield. i even remember rashidi suggesting playing with two ball winning midfielders as an aggressive screen in front of the defence. unfortunately i can't find the thread through the search function. would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction? i was rather disappointed with this thread as it holds no real discussion on the brazilian box, just cleon cross dressing as someone new to football manager

thank you!

Edited by wereldbol

aha, apparently with the new skin for the forum, they cached everything dating more than one year back and that specific topic was for football manager 2015, not 2016. if anyone is interested, you can still find and read it in google cache: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cLSzoMITEYAJ:community.sigames.com/showthread.php/426936-The-Brazilian-Box+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=be&client=safari

rashidi's box is interesting because he uses a screen of two aggressive tackling players in the central midfield strata. i'm off to test this theory in 2016's version but might use very fluid to bring the vertical lines closer together so less of a gap appears between the cds and cms. 

will report back!

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, wonderful insight and analysis into a tactical system Cleon and a practical guide in how to set up and fine tune it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and expertise as always. It's appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Hello Cleon.

After reading this thread in your blog and here, i'm starting my first FM17 (never played FM16)  save and trying it with a 4222 box formation.

I'd just like to have your opinion about the distribution of roles and duties? Do they make sense to you?

Thanks a lot.

formation.jpg

I think the space between the DM's and AMC's might be an issue at times. It's much trickier to get the DMC/AMC version working compared to the MC version. The reason's being what happens if the regista has a bad game or doesn't have the space to break forward? You might struggle to get the attacking 4 all involved in play then. I'm not saying it can't work but it requires you paying much more attention to what is going on during the games and reacting instantly when you see that there is an issue with link up play and getting the ball to the four attacking players. If you don't react quick enough the game could already be lost.

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Thank you Cleon. Yes i agree, it relies heavily on what regista can do and that might not be a good think in some games.

So both DMC/MC or MC/AMC versions are better options then?

Personally I think the DMC/MC version is superior in every way to the other versions. 

I know this thread is old but I thought it was worth a bump because its relative to a lot of current topics about issues, spotting and fixing them.  I think this thread highlights this really well. Plus its the formation I've used pretty much for the entire duration of FM17. 

Good, timely bump. This is a formation I've wanted to try forever - because of this thread and another from about the same time - and finally manged to do it in a couple of recent saves. Your recent blog post on it helped push me toward trying it. Been quite successful. I've used a slightly different approach but ended up with pretty similar roles and duties after some experimentation. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Cleon said:

They're working again now.

You could have always read it over on the blog ;)

I do follow your blog mate, can’t wait for the third part of the Rough Diamond. ;) 

Edited by Armistice

@Cleon, or indeed anyone else with 4-2-2-2 Box experiences

Did you ever find you were particularly vulnerable down the flanks with this shape? As you might be in a 4-4-2 diamond, or did the two DMs help negate this?

Cheers

1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

@Cleon, or indeed anyone else with 4-2-2-2 Box experiences

Did you ever find you were particularly vulnerable down the flanks with this shape? As you might be in a 4-4-2 diamond, or did the two DMs help negate this?

Cheers

I discuss this in the articles. 

2 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Cheers

Haven't read them for a while and thought it'd be easier to just ask and see

This makes it pointless writing stuff though if people just ask questions that's already answered in the opening posts :D

8 minutes ago, Cleon said:

This makes it pointless writing stuff though if people just ask questions that's already answered in the opening posts :D

Haha. Yeah I suppose so. Just couldn't remember if you had mentioned it or not. Tbf I thought there was more than two pages and more posts on the topic. Was just thinking of a variant where the CMs were pushed up as AMs and the STs out wide as Raumdeuters, to sort of make a box in a box to help defend the flanks. And I am aware the Raumdeuter isn't the most defensive of roles, but a body is a body

• 7 months later...
33 minutes ago, llado01 said:

hi @Cleon (or another FM-Master)  how and where would you integrate an SV (A) in the setup, to get the best out of it?

I'd simply replace the Regista with a SV. I wrote about the SV but it was for a different formation, but it explains how it functions and how to get the best out of it. It can be found here;

https://teaandbusquets.com/blog/segundo-volante

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

@Cleon

Big thanks for these articles. I've come very late to the SI forums, but have played FM for years. Really enjoying all the good work and interesting tactical analysis. Sorry I missed your blog too :(

Anyway just wanted to say how interesting this is and a big thank you!! UTB!