John Stones crazy transfer!

Just started a new game as Arsenal, both me and Man U bid for Stones both were accepted, I offered 130k a week as a key player, Man U offered 85k a week as a rotation player and he signed for Man U!

Both clubs have the exact same rep.

A bug? Any thoughts?

Personal preference I suppose!! Wouldn't put it down to a bug. Bonuses may have been better on the other side. Nearer too. Maybe he likes the staff, etc. All manner of reasons.

He would have to really like the staff or club to turn down an extra 45k a week and guaranteed start in first team lol

Just started a new game as Arsenal, both me and Man U bid for Stones both were accepted, I offered 130k a week as a key player, Man U offered 85k a week as a rotation player and he signed for Man U!

Both clubs have the exact same rep.

A bug? Any thoughts?

First things first, exactly what did you offer him? What wage, how long a contract, what bonuses & clauses.

Then save your game, add a new manager at Man Utd and tell us exactly what contract he is on, his wage, length of contract, bonuses and clauses.

Just because you offered him a higher wage doesn't mean that you offer him the more attractive package overall.

I had a very similar thing happen when I was messing around with a Chelsea save. Offered Stones £120k p/w and a Key Player role and he signed for Man Utd as a rotation player on 80k p/w.

However when I looked further into it their offer was better for him.

I offered a 3 year contract, they offered 4 years.

I had a £7.5k appearance bonus in there, they offered £15k.

I had a £5k clean sheet bonus, they offered £25k.

I didn't offer a Team of the Year bonus, they offered £75k.

I offered a 10% yearly wage rise, they offered 25%.

I didn't offer a sell on fee percentage, they offered 15%.

So while if you looked purely at the wage I had made him the better offer, but once you took everything else into account the Man Utd offer was a better deal overall for him financially.

Arsenal and Manchester United reputation are not that far off and I dont think managers reputation would affect that much. Your contract offer were clearly superior to Manchester's, a key player status should be a sign of respect to any player, since it shows the player will play 80%+ of the games.

Maybe is something the SI should check out

Shows the state of football when we think because a player turned down an extra 55k a week it automatically means its a bug!

Are you 70 years old? In no sport in the last 25 years have athletes really ever opted for less money. It really grinds my gears this mentality that a player shouldn't maximize their earnings in the very brief time they're playing. The product on the field is still fantastic and why shouldn't a player seek the maximum wages they can? As if you or anyone in the world wouldn't do the exact same thing. This isn't the 80's where players in England were making 25K a year.

I would sell my soul to the devil for an extra 55k a week.

With what I'm earning now I will sell my soul for an extra 55k a year never mind a week!

Are you 70 years old? In no sport in the last 25 years have athletes really ever opted for less money. It really grinds my gears this mentality that a player shouldn't maximize their earnings in the very brief time they're playing. The product on the field is still fantastic and why shouldn't a player seek the maximum wages they can? As if you or anyone in the world wouldn't do the exact same thing. This isn't the 80's where players in England were making 25K a year.

The point I was trying to make although not very well was the concept of the modern day footballer is that they are overpaid and think of nothing but money, so much so that people are suggesting its potentially a bug when a player chooses the club over the money. Obviously people are going to want more money but I'm sure there are people out there who will happy forgo 55k a week in order to play for one team over another. I do get where your coming from though.

With what I'm earning now I will sell my soul for an extra 55k a year never mind a week!

The point I was trying to make although not very well was the concept of the modern day footballer is that they are overpaid and think of nothing but money, so much so that people are suggesting its potentially a bug when a player chooses the club over the money. Obviously people are going to want more money but I'm sure there are people out there who will happy forgo 55k a week in order to play for one team over another. I do get where your coming from though.

It's just that I see a lot of hand wringing over "mercenary" football players these days and the "state of football", etc. I can't even get on board with the fact that players are overpaid. The market dictates what they earn and if some oil baron is fine paying a star 300K a week then what's the issue? Imo a player owes it to himself to maximize his earnings because who knows when they blow out a knee or something. Unless the actual product is suffering I don't see the problem.

It's just that I see a lot of hand wringing over "mercenary" football players these days and the "state of football", etc. I can't even get on board with the fact that players are overpaid. The market dictates what they earn and if some oil baron is fine paying a star 300K a week then what's the issue? Imo a player owes it to himself to maximize his earnings because who knows when they blow out a knee or something. Unless the actual product is suffering I don't see the problem.

You're arguing with him over something he didn't say

You're arguing with him over something he didn't say

The idea that it's a bug that a player would take less money to play for a preferred club suggests that players should be doing that more often, and that most players are just money hungry. I don't mean to be harsh I just have a real problem with this drum constantly being beaten. Whether it's fretting about players' high wages or their career decisions it's the same issue. It's pining for a era which is long gone and just not realistic any more. Put anyone who is exasperated over the "state of football" in the player's shoes and they take more money 99.9% of the time.

It was reported that Falcao halved his take home pay to facilitate his loan to Chelsea.

As well as Martial reportedly rejecting more money from Chelsea, Blind reportedly rejecting more money from Arsenal, among many others

Of course it still happens, and it's great when it does. I'm sure Di Natale has had dozens of opportunities to move to bigger clubs but has opted for relatively low pay to stay at Udinese. These are all great, but they're the exception. A player shouldn't be labelled mercenary or money hungry if they do look to capitalize as best they can on their talents. Even if they truly are mercenaries, who cares? None of us are in their shoes and will ever understand their motivation or wishes. I just get so sick of this antiquated idea of sports in general. The players don't owe us anything, they rightfully should always put themselves first and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Arsenal and Manchester United reputation are not that far off and I dont think managers reputation would affect that much. Your contract offer were clearly superior to Manchester's, a key player status should be a sign of respect to any player, since it shows the player will play 80%+ of the games.

Maybe is something the SI should check out

Wage & squad status make up a tiny portion of the information that is taken into account.

Club reputation, manager reputation, liked & disliked players & teams, contract bonuses, contract clauses, and so on.

The OP has only given us 3 bits of information, the team reputations, the wage and the squad status. There is a hell of a lot more that goes into the decision than that.

Of course it still happens, and it's great when it does. I'm sure Di Natale has had dozens of opportunities to move to bigger clubs but has opted for relatively low pay to stay at Udinese. These are all great, but they're the exception. A player shouldn't be labelled mercenary or money hungry if they do look to capitalize as best they can on their talents. Even if they truly are mercenaries, who cares? None of us are in their shoes and will ever understand their motivation or wishes. I just get so sick of this antiquated idea of sports in general. The players don't owe us anything, they rightfully should always put themselves first and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

i guess it is fine if someone buys whole club and moves it to another city as well then. what i am trying to say is that football, and football clubs were conceived and became popular because they emerged from people. they weren+t property of anyone, they were "owned" by those who cared about them and for decades they were in place because of people who were around. and football was fine back then. once money rolled in, it is normal that is owned by certain person who, since it owns the club, can do what he pleases. the problem is, many clubs were there long time before and were part of many people's, generations of supporters, who kind of feel they have right of their own. so clashes are quite expected and normal. but hang on, it won't last forever. it is a bubble preparign to burst.

i guess it is fine if someone buys whole club and moves it to another city as well then. what i am trying to say is that football, and football clubs were conceived and became popular because they emerged from people. they weren+t property of anyone, they were "owned" by those who cared about them and for decades they were in place because of people who were around. and football was fine back then. once money rolled in, it is normal that is owned by certain person who, since it owns the club, can do what he pleases. the problem is, many clubs were there long time before and were part of many people's, generations of supporters, who kind of feel they have right of their own. so clashes are quite expected and normal. but hang on, it won't last forever. it is a bubble preparign to burst.

I see your point, and fundamentally I agree. Although comparing a player who makes decisions based only on money to a club owner moving an entire club elsewhere is a bit of a stretch. I agree that it's fantastic when a player chooses loyalty over cash, but if a player doesn't do that they're often branded a mercenary. It's to me the same subset of fans who constantly bemoan the "state of football", the same guys who say "in my day things were different". I don't know why it gets me so fired up, but it does.

Sorry OP I completely hijacked your thread, my apologies.

A longer contract on lower wages could be worth more than a shorter contract for higher wages but for a player of John Stones' age it should not matter - he's always going to sign a new one. It should be a factor for an older player, as they are less certain that they will be signing further deals.

£25k clean sheet bonus? Wow...!!

Has it ever been confirmed that a big bonus affects a player's motivation? For a £25k clean sheet, I'd be reaming out any other defender who let the ball anywhere near my goal.

Has it ever been confirmed that a big bonus affects a player's motivation? For a £25k clean sheet, I'd be reaming out any other defender who let the ball anywhere near my goal.

I'd be setting up my tactic to make sure I conceded at least one every game too :D