Sports Interactive Community
Konfuchie

Inside forwards popularity

I might be wrong and I could be disconnected with modern football tendencies but I felt I had to say something about this.

There is just too many inside forwards in the game. And most of them are pretty hard to be made to work. Inside forward tendencies to sit pretty narrow in the shoulder of defenders and cut inside from wide positions creating congestion in the center of opposition third just invites any of the defenders to just disposes them or make all their passing options (but backwards) impossible. If you can understand me, when you have wingers they tend to stretch back 4 of the opposition wide and get themselves in 1v1 situations or draw other defenders out of position and create surplus of other attacking players. Inside forwards draw opposition defense even closer to each other, more narrow and tight making them spoiled for choice of who is going to tackle.

OK I understand exceptional players like Messi and Ronaldo are inside forwards making the role so popular but those are exceptional players. Heaving someone with huge dribbling capabilities, great shot and incredible creativity, vision, flair and passing ability is obviously great for your team. Ribery and Roben are examples of wingers that could play like inside forwards and had both feet pretty decent but in this game this doesn't work because IF don't wanna fulfill winger role even when you assign it to them (if on wrong side to their preferred foot) or they simply suck at it (right side for their foot but awkward position). And popularity if the role is so out of proportion and this game produces so many useless inside forwards. Why?

Because:

-they refuse to dribble wide

-they refuse to run with the ball wide even when they have space and pace

-they just don't produce enough creative passes

-they loose ball too often

-they get greedy and shoot wide too much

-even when they get in scoring opportunities their finishing lets them down.

Only good thing they produce is that they open space for wing backs to have a go and cross but the defensive line is usually already so dense especially if you have 2 inside forwards that there is odd to be some defender that is gonna clear the cross in front of your attackers. And there are just not enough defensively sound tactics that are gonna push wing backs forward so often.

Why do so many right footed players have natural AML position (and vice-versa) when they have obvious winger characteristics (pace, crossing)?

Why do those players have so hard time playing like wingers on the right side if right footed and vice-versa despite having all the right attributes?

Why are they so hard to retrain to the position even if they are young and versatile?

I'm thinking about moving this to fm16 feedback thread too but I hope it is gonna get noticed more here.

Number 1 Robben does not have 'both feet pretty good' as stated above he is a very 1 footed player, so far to the extent that he is known for it.

The reason these inside forwards you talk about are not good at playing as a conventional winger is because they either do not have the appropriate stats for that role or their PPM's contradict what they are being told to do and in my experience PPM's out weigh player instructions.

I'm sorry for getting the Robben thing wrong.

My experience that produced frustration is all with younger players that have no PPMs though...

I am not sure I am understood. The thing that I am complaining about is that you get so many players with right attributes to play winger who are right footed but natural in AML position and just competent or so in AMR position, and they keep playing bad like wingers because the position is awkward... And they are hard to retrain to AMR position even tho they are already versatile (they can play ML AMC ST) and young (19-23). And after all the frustration when you give up and try to play them as winger in their natural position even tho they have wrong foot for it they just play as inside forwards or in between or they play bad...

I've also noticed that inside forwards are becoming more popular but I think that's the case in real life too. So the game and the players are adapting to new roles. I still think you can use these players as wingers or advanced playmakers to get the desired result.

Hey Konfuchie.

A quick note on this one. Many teams in reality now play with at least one inside forward, some two. This is both at the top and lower levels of the game. By "inside forward" I mean a wide player that is playing on the opposite side to that of his strong foot. I.e. a right footer on the left or a left footer on the right.

This will be reflected in-game in several ways, including in players' positions, attributes, PPMs and managers' tactics.

Cheers,

Seb.

Because:

-they refuse to dribble wide

-they refuse to run with the ball wide even when they have space and pace

-they just don't produce enough creative passes

-they loose ball too often

-they get greedy and shoot wide too much

-even when they get in scoring opportunities their finishing lets them down.

- they refuse to dribble wide ... cause they have a weak foot..

- get wing backs to exploit that wide open space, but you saw it yourself.

- but they are forwards, not playmakers!

- forwards are selfish, find the ones with bigger team work or maybe your striker don't give them options!

- their finishing is bad because they are fast and/or lack composure, at top speed technique tends to fail most of the time...