Red Star - help with 4-4-2

I'm looking for help with my 4-4-2 that I'm using with Red Star Belgrade.

Background:

We're the dominant team in the domestic league - so many teams come to park the bus. We're also competing in Europe, usually managing to get through to Champions League group phases. I'm about to enter my 4th season and I have built a reasonably strong squad that I think should meet expectations.

Desired style of play:

Given that domestically most teams will be parking the bus, and that I am considered cannon fodder in Europe - I'm trying to play a counter-attack style of play. Hoping to either draw lesser opponents out or catch superior teams on the break.

Formation:

I've gone for a 4-4-2 because it's a shape I'm familiar with, and I quite like playing with two forwards. Playing counter-attack with flexible shape.

GK(d)

DL - FB(s)

DCL - DC©

DCR - DC (s)

DR - FB (s)

ML - WM(s)

MCL - CM(d)

MCR - CM(s)

MR - WM(a)

STL - DF(d)

STR - DLF (a)

Both wide men are predominantly James Milner-type players - solid, hard-working and can put a tackle in. Are averagely good at getting forwards and crossing. The two CMs are also very strong defensively (positioning, marking, tackling), although the MCL is good at passing/creativity so acts as a DLP and the MCR is good at getting forwards (off the ball etc)

No TIs/PIs except for the keeper to roll the ball out to DCs to preserve some possession.

Problems:

1) neither striker is exactly banging in the goals - particularly the STR (DLF/a)

2) there seems to be a bit of a hole between the MCR (CM/s) and the SRT (DLF/a)

3) despite our domestic dominance, we're only usually beating teams by the odd goal (19 of 30 matches were won by an odd goal - e.g. 1-0, 2-1 etc).

Observations:

1) most goals are placed shots from central positions (50 goals from 62)

2) most assists are crosses (22 from 62)

3) most assists come from the left wing (27 from 62). This is my rampaging left back - many offensive PPMs such as gets forward, runs down the left etc

4) possession tends to be OK - somewhere between 45-55% depending on the quality of the opposition (I'm OK with this given we're counter-attacking)

Questions:

1) is a counter approach sensible given the situation my team normally finds itself?

2) are my roles OK - is there anything glaringly wrong?

3) how can I get my strikers to be more productive?

4) is my midfield too workmanlike? Have I overcompensated for the lack of numbers in midfield and should I have a more offensive player in here?

Thanks anyone for help. I feel I've got this to an OK point - and that with a couple of tweaks the tactic can be more secure.

Where are your midfield runners? Who is scoring your goals? You've got two supporting strikers playing (DLF/A is still a support role essentially). Your attack looks isolated and I can't see where the supply is coming from. You need a goalscoring role up front for starters and more adventure down the wings or through the middle I would say.

GK(d)

DL - FB(s)

DCL - DC©

DCR - DC (s)

DR - FB (s)

ML - WM(s)

MCL - CM(d)

MCR - CM(s)

MR - WM(a)

STL - DF(d)

STR - DLF (a)

I'm no FM16 mastermind and still fairly new to the series but I'll give my views on the formation anyhow so take this with a pinch of salt.

The issues I would see is it's just a little too defensive. I'd probably look at changing one of your midfield roles to CM(A), this should help close the gap between your midfield and strikers then change one of your striker roles. The two you currently have set are Defensive Forward which sits relatively deep as his job on defend duty is to hassle the DM and a Deep Lying Forward (A) which as the name suggests, also sits deep.

For me if you want to play counter attacking football you need atleast someone who is going to sit up front on the defenders shoulders so you can play the ball behind them (i.e. poacher/advanced forward/complete forward maybe?) or your deep lying forward playing as the big man focal point so your team can, if needed, play the long ball too him and he can hold up whilst waiting on the support. At present, I assume your getting the ball, playing the counter attack and finding your furthest man forward is stood with the opposing teams Defensive Midfielder?

In all, I would suggest watching a game on comprehensive 3D mode, it should let you see what your strikers are doing and where they are positioning. Same for midfield to strikers, you should see if they are overly isolated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've reworked my 4-4-2 based on your suggestions, but I've abandoned my counter-mentality. I'm now working with a control mentality and a flexible shape, the 4-4-2 looks like this:

GK(d)

GK(d)

DL - FB(d)

DCL - DC(d)

DCR - DC (d)

DR - FB (d)

ML - WM(a)

MCL - BWM(d)

MCR - DLP(s)

MR - WM(a)

STL - DLF(s)

STR - CF(a)

As a result, my wingers are now getting into the box and adding numbers to attacks, enabling us to break down opposition teams more consistently. Our goals scored has increased as a result, however we're now conceding more. My defence is fairly vanilla in terms of set-up so next step is to see if I can tweak it to be something a bit more layered to improve defence - maybe introduce a cover mentality to one of the central defenders.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've reworked my 4-4-2 based on your suggestions, but I've abandoned my counter-mentality. I'm now working with a control mentality and a flexible shape, the 4-4-2 looks like this:

GK(d)

GK(d)

DL - FB(d)

DCL - DC(d)

DCR - DC (d)

DR - FB (d)

ML - WM(a)

MCL - BWM(d)

MCR - DLP(s)

MR - WM(a)

STL - DLF(s)

STR - CF(a)

As a result, my wingers are now getting into the box and adding numbers to attacks, enabling us to break down opposition teams more consistently. Our goals scored has increased as a result, however we're now conceding more. My defence is fairly vanilla in terms of set-up so next step is to see if I can tweak it to be something a bit more layered to improve defence - maybe introduce a cover mentality to one of the central defenders.

Bwm your asking for trouble.He'll not hold position.Personally I would go cm d, then another cm defend duty or support.Dlp s or d maybe.Box to box again will lose position.2 man cm really needs to be two players with very similar roles.Pull a striker back to link up play with mid and attack.Even better play a dm.Try one on a support role.

Archived