Can overachievment take away the fun?

Does anyone find that if they are doing better than they really should be, or better than is realistically possible, with the club they are managing that some of the fun of FM decreases just a little?

I'm managing Wolves and I'm in my second season (my first in the EPL) and find the team performing far better than I could expect. It's not down to any tactical nouse or anything, if I'm honest I think I've just stumbled across something that seems to work for my side totally by accident, but I kind of feel/ want them to be struggling a bit more so it resembles the real world a little better. Is that an odd complaint to make?

Complaint isn't really the right word. I'm very much enjoying the game as a whole, and apart from some little quirks, haven't really had any issue with the game thus far.

In the million to one chance I ever do overachieve, I'll let you know.

It can be annoying at times though, because I'm usually quite meticulous with transfers and tactics, but forever struggle, then I fire on a YT lets play video, and the chap flings together a tactic with little thought and wins back to back promotions through all the leagues.

I get where you're coming from. The diligent human player should, overall, best the AI and therefore over achieve with whatever team they have. That's a given, but it makes my Everton team (a step below the elite clubs) quite straightforward to develop into a major European power. Without extensive improvement of the AI there's still stuff you can do - essentially handicapping:

You can pick a tougher team to manage, perhaps one with a small fanbase to restrict financial growth. Don't like that though - I only want to play as Everton, generally.

Hire a Director of Football and give him complete transfer and contract control. I like this because it removes one of my human advantages - squad building.

Do no transfers at all - only youth players. Tough to stick to if you don't get good goalies!

It can do.

I'm kind of disenchanted with my current save, started in League 1, 4th year won the PL, got a sugar daddy though, and when I have lots of money I can't help but pound it into the club.

In the million to one chance I ever do overachieve, I'll let you know.

It can be annoying at times though, because I'm usually quite meticulous with transfers and tactics, but forever struggle, then I fire on a YT lets play video, and the chap flings together a tactic with little thought and wins back to back promotions through all the leagues.

Yes...

Especially those that do a 2-4-4 formation with two ball winning midfielders, attacking, 250 team instructions, 350 personal instructions, and they win every match with ease. @_@ Then I just rage and wonder why I'm trying to understand the tactics system if people can just do that and not even get punished for it. :(

You're practically describing my FM12 save. Looking back at it was immensely boring. In the end I didn't even bother with tactics anymore and I felt forced to play the game.

When I discovered that everybody had an easy time with the game I never touched the game again.

Archived