Sports Interactive Community
Dickie Greenleaf

Emulating Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid

I'm going to try these ideas with my Reggiana side, who currently oscillate between one 'home' (control) tactic and one 'away' (counter). Only problem from the perspective of this thread: they play a lopsided 5-3-2... The basic idea will be the same though, particularly in the 'away' tactic. Stay narrow, show their defenders into playing it to the winger who then gets clobbered. TBH if you're trying to emulate Atletico you should really have at least two tactics on the go in here - one where they close down high up and one where they sit deep and try to spring the quick counter.

excellent

look forward to it

kL8KNnR.png

YFQLSZb.png

mxz3HOl.png

28zS6kN.png

PIs

GK (d): Throw It Long, Distribute Quickly

CD © x2: Close Down Much Less, Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter

CWB (a) x2:

WP (a) x2: Get Further Forward, Swap with MR/ML

SS/AF: Roam From Position

CF/DF(d): Move Into Channels

kL8KNnR.png

YFQLSZb.png

mxz3HOl.png

28zS6kN.png

I've modified the TIs for the CBs. I added "Pass It Shorter"

Serious question. Why do you use so many TI's in your tactics? Do you really think its necessary?

Serious question. Why do you use so many TI's in your tactics? Do you really think its necessary?

To emulate the movement and what the players do, YES. Moreover, you have to take in account what is under the hood. Defensive has a lower tempo but a counter box. Simeone plays a High Tempo game ALL THE TIME, so I have to add the TI. And then, the Very Fluid shape fits Simeone's team like a glove BUT it also allows expression ever so slightly which does not fit like a glove so "Be More Disciplined" TI is needed. And then, some other TIs are obvious. It is not as if I stuck in a bunch of TIs for the sake of it. I have to keep in mind what the limitations and weakness of the game as a whole and then how Simeone plays and I have to maintain a proper balance to suit that ;)

523018bab4.png

8aa691889c.png

having some success with this - wide mids have close down more - tackle harder and sit narrower, same with strikers (bar sit narrower), and fullbacks have mark tighter, run wide with ball and tackle harder. dm support has dribble less, close down more and hold position

edit: i should swap rpm position with dm

Tried this out for an away game where I was the favorite and won pretty easily 3-1. Their goal was a penalty, but it absorbed shots really well and didn't seem to get exploited on the flank. The DM-S really shined (had a 9.0 rating and scored on a 30-yarder). I also ended with 10 shots on target out of 17 shots, but only one CCC (which, whatever).

Will probably use this as an alternative.

have you tried out your interpretation yet jean?

Absolutely, gave it a whirl in my RBL save and didn't lose a game

As for my ManU save.

YQ3cMB3.png

And my game against Arsenal

alright I assume we're big fans of the job Simeone has done at Atletico I started an Atletico save an try and replicate his success

-------------GK---------------

FB(s)-----CD---CD---------FB(a)

WM(a)----CM(d)--CM(s)---WP(a)

--------CF(s)----DLF(a)---------

Mentality: Defensive

Team Shape: Fluid

TI's: Pass Into Space

Work Ball into box

Exploit left and right flank

Close down more

Get stuck in

Be more disciplined

Higher Tempo

Prevent short GK distribution

So far I've played 8 games in the league winning 3, drawing 4 and losing 1 I've only conceded 4 in those 8 games and scored 9 the main problem I have is what I do when I'm on the ball doesn't seem decisive enough, I'm thinking to take off the work ball into the box instruction as that may play a part.

What are you guys thoughts ? Thanks

alright I assume we're big fans of the job Simeone has done at Atletico I started an Atletico save an try and replicate his success

-------------GK---------------

FB(s)-----CD---CD---------FB(a)

WM(a)----CM(d)--CM(s)---WP(a)

--------CF(s)----DLF(a)---------

Mentality: Defensive

Team Shape: Fluid

TI's: Pass Into Space

Work Ball into box

Exploit left and right flank

Close down more

Get stuck in

Be more disciplined

Higher Tempo

Prevent short GK distribution

So far I've played 8 games in the league winning 3, drawing 4 and losing 1 I've only conceded 4 in those 8 games and scored 9 the main problem I have is what I do when I'm on the ball doesn't seem decisive enough, I'm thinking to take off the work ball into the box instruction as that may play a part.

What are you guys thoughts ? Thanks

Maybe you could explain why you chose some stuff?The Fluid shape for example isn't what I'd use in a Simeone team(I'd use flexible)I'd play them narrow too, since they are know to concede the flanks.Explain choice of role and duty in strikers and wide midfielders, then maybe I can help you better, I'd look at the original tactic of this post for reference, since it is a good interpretation of the Simeone way imo

523018bab4.png

8aa691889c.png

having some success with this - wide mids have close down more - tackle harder and sit narrower, same with strikers (bar sit narrower), and fullbacks have mark tighter, run wide with ball and tackle harder. dm support has dribble less, close down more and hold position

edit: i should swap rpm position with dm

This definatly has potential.

My only negative is you dont seem to get many goals from the front two.

I would be interested to see if you use any OIs? Any training specific to this? Or what tweaks you have made??

I would be interested to see if you use any OIs? Any training specific to this? Or what tweaks you have made??

I haven't really had much time but I agree the strikers and the midfield are the hardest to get right

With the shape of my own, my striker, Michy, scores about every game.

After winning two Europa Leagues with Panathinaikos in 3 years (and winning the Greek double three times in a row), I've moved on to starting a new save with Catanzaro. 13 competitive games in (10 league games, 3 cup games), the record is 11 Wins, 2 Losses (once to Hellas Verona in the cup, can't blame there. And an early freak game vs Paganese). Otherwise, the tactic is destroying Serie C/C for now and I am 8 points clear using Ghents base on the top of the 2nd page. The issue I have with your tactic Ghents, is that I think if we were to follow Atlético Madrid and Simeone more closely, I feel the defensive line should be set to 'slightly deeper'. Atléti look to sit deep and absorb pressure, especially late in the game when holding on to a lead. Do you agree or disagree?

I've also created a second tactic, with similar roles, but the CM's both drop to DM's for the last 10-15 minutes of a game. Counter goes to Defensive. The defensive line drops. And 'Waste Time' is ticked. This is how Atlético Madrid usually play at the end of a game I feel, and it works for me.

The other issue which simply cannot be replicated on FM, is that you'll notice Atlético Madrid press at certain times, i.e defenders who have are facing their own goal get pressed, any player receiving pass in the centre of the pitch and attacking third gets pressed. Hard to replicate this.

Despite all that, I honestly believe this is the best tactic on Football Manager 2016. If you want to emulate Diego Simeone, or just purely play a counter-attacking style, which I do, I cannot think of a better tactic to use, or at least use as a base. Ghents deserves a tremendous amount of praise for his work.

After winning two Europa Leagues with Panathinaikos in 3 years (and winning the Greek double three times in a row), I've moved on to starting a new save with Catanzaro. 13 competitive games in (10 league games, 3 cup games), the record is 11 Wins, 2 Losses (once to Hellas Verona in the cup, can't blame there. And an early freak game vs Paganese). Otherwise, the tactic is destroying Serie C/C for now and I am 8 points clear using Ghents base on the top of the 2nd page. The issue I have with your tactic Ghents, is that I think if we were to follow Atlético Madrid and Simeone more closely, I feel the defensive line should be set to 'slightly deeper'. Atléti look to sit deep and absorb pressure, especially late in the game when holding on to a lead. Do you agree or disagree?

I've also created a second tactic, with similar roles, but the CM's both drop to DM's for the last 10-15 minutes of a game. Counter goes to Defensive. The defensive line drops. And 'Waste Time' is ticked. This is how Atlético Madrid usually play at the end of a game I feel, and it works for me.

The other issue which simply cannot be replicated on FM, is that you'll notice Atlético Madrid press at certain times, i.e defenders who have are facing their own goal get pressed, any player receiving pass in the centre of the pitch and attacking third gets pressed. Hard to replicate this.

Despite all that, I honestly believe this is the best tactic on Football Manager 2016. If you want to emulate Diego Simeone, or just purely play a counter-attacking style, which I do, I cannot think of a better tactic to use, or at least use as a base. Ghents deserves a tremendous amount of praise for his work.

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. I've been frankensteining ideas from here and FM15 Simeone tactics etc., but I'm glad it's working out. I agree with your defensive line depth though, but I usually adjust it based on who I'm playing. If they're going long I'll drop it, if they're going for possession I move it up, etc. I've found FM16 requires you to be more involved than simply plug and play of years past.

My laptop crashed so I haven't played since I posted here last, but I like your thought of dropped CM->DM and swapping to defensive. What DM roles are you using? DM-D/DM-S? I'll have to give that a try, because my biggest issue is conceding late. It's either within the first damn 5 minutes, or the last 10.

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. I've been frankensteining ideas from here and FM15 Simeone tactics etc., but I'm glad it's working out. I agree with your defensive line depth though, but I usually adjust it based on who I'm playing. If they're going long I'll drop it, if they're going for possession I move it up, etc. I've found FM16 requires you to be more involved than simply plug and play of years past.

My laptop crashed so I haven't played since I posted here last, but I like your thought of dropped CM->DM and swapping to defensive. What DM roles are you using? DM-D/DM-S? I'll have to give that a try, because my biggest issue is conceding late. It's either within the first damn 5 minutes, or the last 10.

Just a quick update, I won Serie C/C comfortably with 7 games left. Ended up with an around 30pt lead over second place at the end of the season. Truly amazing tactic. I am keen to see how it gets on in Serie B now, which will be very challenging given my current reputation and budget.

Yes, this is fair enough. I think for Serie B for example, I'll let them drop deeper because my defenders are not going to be at the physical level of the strikers of the top clubs, meaning a high line can leave them caught out. I am going to experiment a bit with the defensive line and post my results. I am committed to trying to make this tactic even better. Definitely, FM16 requires you to be involved in the game although I think this is as strong of a base tactic as there is.

The DM's I leave in their current CM roles, which is BWM (S) and DLP (D), but I find putting them in the DM position means they offer extra protection and clog the centre of the pitch. I sometimes employ this tactic from 60 mins on or so, it's very hard to break down. I can't remember conceding late doing this. If I am really worried, I'll sub the Complete Forward off and have a fifth defender, but this is genuinely a last 5 minutes of the game move.

Hi guys!

Really cool thread you got going here for all us Cholo fans! I've encountered one big problem playing as atletico and that's the offensive wingbacks or fullbacks. How do you guys counter wingbacks when playing so narrow?

I'm considering trying an approach similar to Atleti's, funnelling the ball to tightly marked or heavily closed down players, and I've been thinking that surely opposition instructions are going to have a lot to do with it? Starting with the ball with their centre halves you want to cut the pitch in two and force play to the flanks, so show DLC onto his left and DRC onto his right. Then you want to deny the fullback the opportunity to pass it back inside so it's close down always and show onto his favoured foot. He should have no option but to pass down the line by now so the winger I suppose would be marked tightly and always closed down. That's Atletico on the front foot anyway.

You'd then need another tactic to be used against stronger teams or when in front in tight games, sitting deeper and narrower and showing wingers inside, then attacking with a furious tempo and mixed passing.

The whole idea of using opposition instructions as the basis for a tactic interests me quite a lot really...

Very interesting thoughts, when there's a decent update out I'm definitely going to give this a shot based on some of what you've been saying.

Very interesting thoughts, when there's a decent update out I'm definitely going to give this a shot based on some of what you've been saying.

We already have a decent update, but if you are waiting for anything else you'll probably be waiting until FM2017 now.

So if you don't want to wait that long, take the bull by the horns and get stuck in :).

Fixed my laptop and was playing a bit yesterday and I've taken this and changed the RPM to a RGA, and kept my WP-A on the left side and a DLF-A instead of a DF-S.

It's working pretty steady so far. The RGA still roams some, but is more static than the RPM so I feel it's a bit more secure next to the DM.

Fixed my laptop and was playing a bit yesterday and I've taken this and changed the RPM to a RGA, and kept my WP-A on the left side and a DLF-A instead of a DF-S.

It's working pretty steady so far. The RGA still roams some, but is more static than the RPM so I feel it's a bit more secure next to the DM.

Using the PI's mentioned in that post? Did you add any PI's to the new roles you added?

I am using Jean's tactic and it is working well, albeit struggling with converting chances sometimes with Lewa and Suarez.

Using the PI's mentioned in that post? Did you add any PI's to the new roles you added?

I am using Jean's tactic and it is working well, albeit struggling with converting chances sometimes with Lewa and Suarez.

I'm using the TI/PI in that post mentioned.

I'm using the TI/PI in that post mentioned.

What are your thoughts on the OI's. Do you still use the funneling instructions?

I've started playing again since I fixed my laptop. I lost everything, but I'm in Year 4 of a new Stuttgart save, coming off winning the league. Will update with the tactic etc. later today or tomorrow.

I've started playing again since I fixed my laptop. I lost everything, but I'm in Year 4 of a new Stuttgart save, coming off winning the league. Will update with the tactic etc. later today or tomorrow.

Look forward to it

Hey all I'm having quite a bit of success with a Simeone inspired tactic in my Crewe save.

Right now I'm 2/3 way through the season sitting second, with by far the best defence in the league, the only problem is I can't score many which has led to plenty of dull 0-0 draws. Now I don;t mind a 0-0, in fact I'm loving the clean sheets, but as my rep grows I need to start scoring goals.

Here's what I have:

442 - Defensive - Flexible

TI = Higher tempo, Close Down more, Get Stuck In, More Direct, Look For Overlap, Narrow

Gk (d)

FB (s) - Stay Wide, get Further Forward

CD (d)

CD (D)

WM (s) - Cut inside, sit narrower, more risky passes

BWM (D)

CM (D)

DLF (s) - Move into channels, roam

DF (S) - Move into channels

As I say I'm just not creating chances. My forwards have been particularly bad (partly player quality) but haven't scored more than 9 each.

Possible Solutions

Strikers: I feel this is the most logical way to get more threat going forwards. I realise my strikers aren't perfect (I find it very difficult to recreate Simeone's unless i play two SS which doesn't work going forwards). Perhaps new roles?

Shape: On occasion I've found going fluid will help unlock a team but I'm not sure I have the players to do this and maintain my defensive rigidity.

WM's: Perhaps going attacking on these two will put them forwards more, but will I lose defensive shape?

FB's: or go attacking with these two to get more threat out wide?

I've tried all with varying success but just need to lean on the braintrust a little as I really can;t decide which solution is best?

On 7/26/2016 at 07:47, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Hey all I'm having quite a bit of success with a Simeone inspired tactic in my Crewe save.

Right now I'm 2/3 way through the season sitting second, with by far the best defence in the league, the only problem is I can't score many which has led to plenty of dull 0-0 draws. Now I don;t mind a 0-0, in fact I'm loving the clean sheets, but as my rep grows I need to start scoring goals.

Here's what I have:

TI = Higher tempo, Close Down more, Get Stuck In, More Direct, Look For Overlap, Narrow

Gk (d)

CD (d)

CD (D)

BWM (D)

CM (D)

As I say I'm just not creating chances. My forwards have been particularly bad (partly player quality) but haven't scored more than 9 each.

Possible Solutions

Strikers: I feel this is the most logical way to get more threat going forwards. I realise my strikers aren't perfect (I find it very difficult to recreate Simeone's unless i play two SS which doesn't work going forwards). Perhaps new roles?

Shape: On occasion I've found going fluid will help unlock a team but I'm not sure I have the players to do this and maintain my defensive rigidity.

WM's: Perhaps going attacking on these two will put them forwards more, but will I lose defensive shape?

I've tried all with varying success but just need to lean on the braintrust a little as I really can;t decide which solution is best?

Anyone? Buellar? 

I think the main reason you're not scoring is because you have no attack roles 

On 7/26/2016 at 16:47, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Here's what I have:

Gk (d)

CD (d)

CD (D)

BWM (D)

CM (D)

Possible Solutions

Could you upload your tacticks and send me in PM i am looking for defensive tacticks for months and i am not cample of making it alone.

EDIT:Maybe to big gap betwen midfield and attack ? Maybe you should use one AMC like shadows striker so you have one man betwen midfield and striker ?

Edited by AlCapone

Using the Defensive mentality, you are telling your players to play very cautiously.  Add into that all of the support duties and your penetration will be a bit limp.

Higher Tempo and Be More Direct may actually work against you, because on the odd occasion the ball does get forward quickly, who's going to be supporting the forwards?

Further, you are also instructing your two wide players to hold the ball up and wait for an overlapping fullback who is pretty reluctant to overlap given his mentality and duty.

You need a bit of viagra.  Think about one or two attack duty players such as one of the WMs.

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

Using the Defensive mentality, you are telling your players to play very cautiously.  Add into that all of the support duties and your penetration will be a bit limp.

Higher Tempo and Be More Direct may actually work against you, because on the odd occasion the ball does get forward quickly, who's going to be supporting the forwards?

Further, you are also instructing your two wide players to hold the ball up and wait for an overlapping fullback who is pretty reluctant to overlap given his mentality and duty.

You need a bit of viagra.  Think about one or two attack duty players such as one of the WMs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm a bit guilty as I modified my shape again. I fired up my ManU save and I've changed up the shape again...

19 hours ago, herne79 said:

Thanks for this Herne79 deep down I kind of knew I needed more oompf but was reluctant to change.

Anyway I finished second in League 1 with the above approach and am endeavouring to change it up for the championship. 

I went from Flexible to Fluid. Added "Stick to Positions" for some stability in the shape. Took off "get Stuck In"

Have also given left WM an attack duty and made DLF (s) a SS (A). Currently sitting 10th in December which isn;t bad at all given how bad my squad is. 5th best defence in league which again I'm happy with as keeper has been out injured for half of season and I seemingly can't sign a consistent CB to save my life. 

On 7/7/2016 at 15:55, Ghents said:

Any update ?

I am still working to make a very successful counter-attacking tactic but most of the times it's not good enough. It seems like in my counter-attacking tactics, we do not score goals from actual counter-attacking, but from open play. Anyone has any idea why is that? And how that can be addressed (just give me hints, not actual fixes, I think it's better to understand how the tactics system work by myself).

On 8/11/2016 at 07:25, kristalshards said:

I am still working to make a very successful counter-attacking tactic but most of the times it's not good enough. It seems like in my counter-attacking tactics, we do not score goals from actual counter-attacking, but from open play. Anyone has any idea why is that? And how that can be addressed (just give me hints, not actual fixes, I think it's better to understand how the tactics system work by myself).

Can't really pinpoint an answer to that without you posting your system/team...

5 hours ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Can't really pinpoint an answer to that without you posting your system/team...

Sure, I've made a thread here.

I generally use the 4-4-2, but the roles might change upfront, depends how I see the game and the players at the club I manage.

I play with a Simeone inspired 4-4-2 myself. I manage RB Leipzig. We're often very solid defensively and can be really clinical in attack, as you can see in the screenshots. We play a very high tempo, use ruthless tackling, almost always have (much) less possession than the opponent.

Won 2. Bundesliga in season 1, was 3rd in the Bundesliga in the second season (and won the DFB Pokal). Now, in the third season, I won the Super Cup (1-0 vs Bayern), and I hope to win the Bundesliga and the Europa League. If anyone's interested, I'd love to upload the tactic.

Schalke - RB Leipzig_ Statistieken Wedstrijdstatistieken.png

Schalke - RB Leipzig_ Statistieken Wedstrijdstatistieken-3.png

Edited by Kcinnay

@Kcinnay could you upload the tactic or put some screen (team instructions, player instructions, etc)?.

Sure. There you are. I've added a screenshot of my results of this season so far.

I don't use any OI.

It's very important that you make the SCL man-mark the MCR and the SCR the MCL, to make the strikers track back, tackle, work hard. And to make the team very compact vertically.

I rarely concede from corner kicks or indirect free kicks, but struggle to score from set pieces. Those instructions can be improved.

You won't always create a lot of chances, but you'll rarely concede a lot of chances either. The team plays very agressive; lots of fouls and often lots of yellow cards.

The central defenders need to be tall. The backs need to be fast, good tacklers and not too short. MCR needs to be a very hard worker, strong, tall and a good tackler. MR and ML need to be fast, good dribblers, good passers. SCR needs to be fast. SCL tall, strong and also relatively fast.

I use 'very structured' to make the team play in a very disciplined way. If I play flexible or (very) fluid, my defence becomes too wonky, even when I use the 'Be more disciplined' shout.

Hopefully it works for other people too. I'm very much enjoying this tactic.

4-4-2 Kcinnay (medium block).fmf

RasenBallsport Leipzig_  Wedstrijden Eerste elftal.png

RasenBallsport Leipzig_  Overzicht.png

@Kcinnay thanks. The tactics it's good, do you used a specific training? And, you tried to changed the AF as P , because with the DF, as partner, he aproach better the recoveries makes.

Edited by makul

@makul Glad to hear that. I don't use any advanced training schemes. I tend to vary the training focus. I need to improve that part of my game. Any advice on that part would be appreciated.

I use the AF role to make my SCR dribble more and be more active in the build up phase. But I'll try the poacher role. Maybe there'd be more 'penetration' that way.

Once again, I've tweaked my shape

MTH6Dr9.png
GU58XNG.png
vA4SpOH.png

Counter/Very Fluid

GK: Distribute Qickly

CD: Close Down Much Less, Hold Position

WP: Get Further Foward

SS: Roam From Position

DF: Move Into Channels

Edited by Jean0987654321

21 minutes ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Once again, I've tweaked my shape

MTH6Dr9.png
GU58XNG.png
vA4SpOH.png

Counter/Very Fluid

GK: Distribute Qickly

CD: Close Down Much Less, Hold Position

WP: Get Further Foward

SS: Roam From Position

DF: Move Into Channels

Please could you upload link ? :)

Do people not find that the very fluid setting jumbles things up to much? Even with 'be more disciplined' on?

Use the T I ( counter / structured) on page 2 and the same roles, but BWM-S and DLP-D in the DM slot.

works a treat in fm17

Edited by Ghents

It kinda does but the forwards are still a big issue for me. As far as I can tell there's simply no way to get them to behave like real-life compact 4-4-2 forwards i.e atleti or leipzig. Even having them mark the midfielders doesn't do the trick

Does anyone tried anything on Simeone this year? I've been trying for some time but I totally dislike the wide midfielders on defense. They keep being open and don't come narrow to help pressing. Even with much narrower. I haven't tried to put them on the middle but that's not how they played. So I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this subject. 

Cheers

I'm going to try and give this a go in FM17. In FM16, my Simeone tactic was unbeatable. In FM17, I've had absolutely no success across several saves, using different tactics. Guess I'll go back to trying to emulate my favourite manager, Simeone. I don't have FM loaded now, so can't share what I'm thinking, but I'd say a foundation of trying to play like Simeone would be:

1) A 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 shape (almost never moves from this). 

2) High pressing. It's hard to emulate Simeone's pressing in FM, as his teams press very hard, but only at specific times. If a defender has the ball facing goal, press hard. If a striker gets the ball in the box, press hard. If a midfielder has the ball in the centre of the field, press hard. On the other hand, they are happy to lay off on the flanks. 

3) High fluidity. All players must defend and attack as a unit.

4) Narrow width. Keep play compact. Get the ball forward quickly and directly when won. Simeone's teams attack as aggressively as they defend when the opportunity arises. 

5) Tackle hard. It's not Simeone if you aren't going into 50/50's with 100%. 

In terms of individual roles, I'm finding this a bit more hard to figure out, but I think for now  some of the examples shared in this thread are OK. I'd have one CM at DLP (D) and the other at BWM (S). Up front I'd have at least one DLF on (S) or (A). Need some help continuing, so anyone willing to help me out would be much appreciated. 

Edited by Candre168