what's the most gratifying thing for you in FM outside of winning trophies?

Leaving a club in a better place than when I started there. I don't often do one club saves, but there are times it's hard to leave purely due to sentiment, but I'm fine as long as I feel I've taken the club up to a level that they deserve or beyond that.

Player development wasn't that high on my own agenda in the past, but whilst managing West Brom for a few seasons, I saw some of my own developed players move on in their careers and have starring roles for the likes of Bayern, Arsenal, Man Utd and more. Seeing Bayern Munich win the Champions League with one of my former centre-backs taking MOTM in the final was very gratifying.

Apart from youth, i'd have to say the most gratifying thing is NOT winning trophies and missing out to one of my rivals.

After a ton of abuses at the ref, my players, and a nightmare to boot, then i'd focus on getting their team back next time we meet up in future (:

SO in essence, plotting my revenge on rivals is what i love most

Few things - having a new stadium built and it being named after me; Seeing a Newgen player going on to be Club and England captain; Finding out that your best signings prove to be the ones you pay the least amount of money for

Finding that gem of a player at some obscure club in a country that nobody knows exists and developing to become a world class player. I know I found an amazing midfield boss at FC Honka in Finland whilst playing in the Championship with Southport (I think). Picked him up for like 100k, and unfortunately sold him because the board intervened for 60 odd million to Chelsea a few years later.

EDIT: Found a screenshot of him in an old thread at 19 years old. :D

2ziuf6q.jpg

Getting a new recruit from your Academy, and just knowing they are going to be really special from the moment you set eyes on them, esp. if you're not at a top club.

Then keeping them, bringing them through, watching their first season breakthrough, then development (sometimes through difficulties) into a world class player who you just love watching play. Even when they get older, they mature, and become so important in different ways.

All of the above happened to me once in an FM11 save with Sunderland. Wonderful :)

A few FMs ago I got a son. He was really terrible but I played him in every game for the whole of his career at my club and as his national team manager gave him a few games (mostly off the bench - he was utter poo) and it was satisfying and nepotistic in the extreme.

A few FMs ago I got a son. He was really terrible but I played him in every game for the whole of his career at my club and as his national team manager gave him a few games (mostly off the bench - he was utter poo) and it was satisfying and nepotistic in the extreme.

If this happens to me I would do exactly the same! Just praying mine will be a little useable..!

If this happens to me I would do exactly the same!

So would I! I have been hoping for this ever since the feature was introduced... ;)

When im managing in lower leagues (e.g Stevenage) & I sign a player whos been unattached for ages, but is plainly too good for that level. This year i got Jamie O'Hara & Jay McEveley in League 2 for £1k a week, and Diego Fabbrini in league 1 for £6k p/w

Its a lot harder this year, but if you put in the hours, its definitely possible.

This might sound a bit silly, but i also like to start games unemployed & then take over a random side who sack their manager. Managed so many clubs i never would have picked otherwise, i really enjoy just looking through a new squad, analyzing strengths & weaknesses and figuring out how im going to play with them

Watching my average home gates going up by the thousands as I keep on winning, producing a few gems and making them top class players and being able to eventually sign a world class player for my team.

Because I rarely win trophies, I take great pride in pleasing/delighting the board with my financial acumen.

Taking over a club with huge wages and a pointlessly large squad. Clearing out the dead wood, slashing the wage bill and returning the financial status to "rich", and thus securing the club's long-term stability.

I usually aim for a steady spend of no more than 66% of the wage budget. Players who start demanding the maximum allowed wage are almost always sold on instead.

Probably why I rarely win trophies.

Since I exclusively LLM, promotion is my usual "trophy" buzz, but it's also rather obvious.

I particularly treasure those times, however, when I leave a club I have taken up a couple of divisions to manage a bigger one, and then check up on them and see them still punching above their weight. My favourite must have been a FM12 save where I took Bromley from Conference South to the Third Division (sorry, "League One" - in modern football One equals Three) in 6 years, then got a speculative job app accepted at Everton, then languishing in the Second Division (sorry, "the Championship", because of course in modern football a Champion is defined as "the 21st best team in the country" (*)) and groaning under inflated First Division salaries. I did well there, gaining quick promotion, trophies etc, but my biggest delight was seeing my AI successor take Bromley up to the Second Division himself a couple of years after I left them. They dropped back to the Third Division two years after that, but popped right back and stayed there, their finances the envy of the country, with lovely facilities and lots and lots of lovely extra capacity in their refurbished ground.

I was so proud of my spiritual child, even more when I noticed my AI successor listed as a club legend along with me. I felt a warm glow imagining a statue to the two of us, a la Cloughie and Taylor at Derby.

(*) Unless of course we're talking about the "Champions League", where a bunch of second, third and fourth placed teams compete in a strictly non-league format

Love seeing the development of a local lad, carefully nurturing his entire career, until the club lists him as an icon and he breaks records, be they goal scoring, appearances, or whatever.

Mine was fm13, Neil Tennant (I know) a left back who appeared in my Youth Candidates in the 2nd season as a lightweight limited fullback and went on to lead England to Euro glory as an indomitable captain.

Apart from youth, i'd have to say the most gratifying thing is NOT winning trophies and missing out to one of my rivals.

After a ton of abuses at the ref, my players, and a nightmare to boot, then i'd focus on getting their team back next time we meet up in future (:

SO in essence, plotting my revenge on rivals is what i love most

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

Archived