What exactly does 'work ball into box' do?

it effectively stops snap shots and aims at the players building up for more clear cut chances. a player with a slim chance at a shot will more likely pass to an team mate if it looks like they have a better shot available

also, I believe so it decreases crossing

This is where it fails for me. Nothing worse than putting together a brilliant phase of play, to create space and get it out wide with your WBS in prime crossing position and 3 or 4 players crying out for a cross... for the WB to then stop and pass it infield or worse still back to the own half.

also, I believe so it decreases crossing

This is what I'm afraid of. I want to discourage long shooting, but I have quality wingers and fullbacks and a good target man. I don't want to discourage them from crossing when it's on. Is there an instruction that will reduce long shooting without affecting crossing?

This is where it fails for me. Nothing worse than putting together a brilliant phase of play, to create space and get it out wide with your WBS in prime crossing position and 3 or 4 players crying out for a cross... for the WB to then stop and pass it infield or worse still back to the own half.

thanks for PIs then :)

Ugh. So to people who aren't using "work ball into box" do you see too many long shots? I'm only using it because in older versions of FM I used to get frustrated by overzealous shooting. But if the FM16 ME has toned that down maybe it's not necessary.

Ugh. So to people who aren't using "work ball into box" do you see too many long shots? I'm only using it because in older versions of FM I used to get frustrated by overzealous shooting. But if the FM16 ME has toned that down maybe it's not necessary.

I don't use it and I don't see too many long shots. I use PIs to prevent it. If it still happens after that, you have an issue with your tactic: your players are not finding teammates and fires a shot instead. Or, they could be like Guarin of Inter and love them some long shots via PPM.

The idea is to work the ball into the box, not pump it full of crosses or waste shots. That's why it covers both, as it wouldn't be working the ball into the box if it just stopped shots but you still hammer away with crosses.

PIs are your friend if you need to tweak specific issues.

Sometimes I do... sometimes I don't use it.

It's good if your achieving a Passing It Through The Defence attacking phase, or are happier with a gradual build up. If you are using it as a means of reducing long shots, your using it wrong. To reduce long shots, your midfield players need to have options open to them still - they are a sort of... last resort for most players.

I have a big problem with this too.

I had to use WBIB for a very long time but now I've been trying to "not to need to use it".

I always try to pay attention to the "shots on target to shots ratio". Sometimes I'll take a look at the "shots" graph too.

I get to impression that if the players don't find a better option, they end up shooting. Maybe, it's not a matter of not having it on leading to too many long shots. It's you wanting to play in a wrong way that leads to too many shots and the AssMan tells you to use WBIB to mitigate that.

Maybe it would be better to tweak the PI for those few or one player individually, but I guess the ME could work this better on the next installments.

Something like "attacking focus", or "attacking shape". I think run at defense or pump ball into box shouts work well, but it seems like the WBIB doesn't. Just saying.

Good lord, you're saying I have to go into each of my tactics and set PIs for all 4 FBs and Ws in each to cross more often? What a pain. Is there really no more efficient way?

...you do it once and you never need to do it again.

Good lord, you're saying I have to go into each of my tactics and set PIs for all 4 FBs and Ws in each to cross more often? What a pain. Is there really no more efficient way?

How many tactics do you have?

Do all of them use two full backs and two wingers?

Do all of them discourage working ball into the box?

If so... why do have have 3 very similar tactics?

Are you using all 3 constantly?

I normally have 1-2 tactics which I use regular, then maybe add a third for very special occasions. If you go into your squad tactics right before the match and change your 2 full backs and your 2 wingers to "cross more often", it won't cost you a lot of time (do you really want all 4 to cross more often?). Do that again before the next match when you use the 2nd tactic and you are set.

The PI are a wonderful tweaking tool in general. I often access them right before a match or even during a match to give a specific player a specific instruction.

I remember FM12 or FM13 had a special problem with way too many long shots, but that's long past and was a problem of that special ME at that time. Also: The tactic suitability in FM16 is much more forgiving for smaller changes. You don't really need, as in some previous versions, 3x the same tactic only slightly different set up and trained. Go for variety.

Archived