LLM Mid season slump

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking. Playing in the conference south as Basingstoke in the second season. I barely avoided regulation in the first season and somehow kept my job. I let most of the team go and brought in players at minimum 3 star CA (good enough for conference south), utilizing my four scouts to bring in players with minimum 8 decisions. So the season has been going well. sitting second in the league and the board expects me to finish mid table. But the run of good form is coming to an end. Cant seem to convert a win and seeing a few more losses coming in.

Tactic: (will post screen shots tonight, at work right now)

Counter/Flexible

FB(s)-CD(d)-CD(d)-FB(a)

-----------------------

W(a)-AP(s)-CM(d)-W(s)

-----------------------

------P(a)-TM(s)-------

Ti:

Clear to flanks

More direct (90% sure will modify after work if different)

Pi:

Poacher - Get in to channels

Tactic has been working great, my wingers have enough pace to really cause the defense some problems. My two TM's are both good for the league and my poacher is a beast! Just curious if anyone had any advice to bring the team back on track? Thanks again for the help.

What is probably happening (speculating here as I haven't see the matches of course!) is that as a second place team midway into the season, other sides are now seeing you as a threat. This means they will play tight defensively, sit deeper, and deny you space in their third. One issue might be that using a target man means that your team is getting the ball into him where he is in a crowded area and it is not coming to much of anything. Without seeing, we can't say for sure, but this is a common issue when you start to improve and become viewed as a top team in your division. You might need to try dialing back to defensive to draw them out a bit, perhaps play less direct also, as you want to be more patient to look for opportunities. It might be time to try a DLF instead of a TM to increase movement, and look at other ways to get your players moving in less predictable or static ways. You'll need to see for sure where the attacks are breaking down for you, and how you are getting exposed defensively.

What is probably happening (speculating here as I haven't see the matches of course!) is that as a second place team midway into the season, other sides are now seeing you as a threat. This means they will play tight defensively, sit deeper, and deny you space in their third. One issue might be that using a target man means that your team is getting the ball into him where he is in a crowded area and it is not coming to much of anything. Without seeing, we can't say for sure, but this is a common issue when you start to improve and become viewed as a top team in your division. You might need to try dialing back to defensive to draw them out a bit, perhaps play less direct also, as you want to be more patient to look for opportunities. It might be time to try a DLF instead of a TM to increase movement, and look at other ways to get your players moving in less predictable or static ways. You'll need to see for sure where the attacks are breaking down for you, and how you are getting exposed defensively.

Thanks for the reply Dr. Hook. The other sides have been tightening up in their third with out a doubt. My attack build up tends to go direct to TM and out to the wings or direct to the wings with a cross in. As for defensive exposure, most of the goals im conceding are coming in from crosses early in the game.

I'm going to see if DLF(s) and dropping more direct will give me some better variety in build up. Try and draw their defense out a bit more, giving my players a bit more room to breathe. See how that works for a game or two, if needed drop it down to defensive.

Thanks for the reply Dr. Hook. The other sides have been tightening up in their third with out a doubt. My attack build up tends to go direct to TM and out to the wings or direct to the wings with a cross in. As for defensive exposure, most of the goals im conceding are coming in from crosses early in the game.

I'm going to see if DLF(s) and dropping more direct will give me some better variety in build up. Try and draw their defense out a bit more, giving my players a bit more room to breathe. See how that works for a game or two, if needed drop it down to defensive.

Let us know how it does for you going forward. Defensively I would expect you are conceding some being counterattacked with teams playing more defensively? If they are just scoring on crosses from normal buildup play, then they are exposing something that wasn't a problem before, or just took time to get found out. If you are winning a lot and seeing a lot of the ball, the opportunities are fewer for them, but now if you are getting stifled and they are winning the ball back more, it increases the chances they will find a weak link in your D.

Sorry for the delay, life decided to go a bit how shall I say, wonky. So I went defensive, put TM(s) to DLF(s) and dropped more direct. Only had time for two quick games this morning before work. 1-1 and 4-0! The build up of play is also working a lot more how I would like it too. Seems I'll be moving between Def and Ctr. Thanks for the tips Dr. Hook!

Archived