Literally impossible

So. I'm Rotherham United.

I understand it's a tricky task to keep us up but on FM16 its impossible. Let me explain

First game I got sacked after 15 games (board called a meeting after Newcastle beat me in the cup, said i should win the next game, came down from 4-0 behind to draw 4-4 n got sacked. 15 games - i was 4 points clear of relegation!

Anyway the squad are all 'good championship players' but there was some disharmony due to bad handling of some player meeting (player is awful, gets dropped, moans, squad on his side?!?!)

So i start again and make myself INternational level all the coaching badges. Make some great signings (Del Piero) great pre season.

Happens again. 4 matches in a row the opposition scored within 20 seconds. Every time i score - literally every time, the score immediately after. I lost 4-3 to Shrewsbury for ****s sake.

Regardless of the combination of defenders, or quality of opposition we lose. Nothing rong going forward, losing 3-2 and 4-3. Its ridiculous.

So I started again. Thought, ok, maybe its the tactics. Used 451 with the wingers to start, went to 442- had some success then, after 3 games, falls apart. Conceding goals for fun, can't score, players not responding to training, tactics or shouts. Opposition is walking through

So after 4 starts, 4 different appraches each with the same outcome i put it to you this game is impossible for certain teams. Board isnt giving me enough time and there are simply no tactics or players that i can win. I mean, straight from kick off EVERY time. How do i deal with it. I even set it immediately to 'contain' when we score - no difference

One strange thing. EVERY game on EVERY save my 'quality championship' fullbacks never get more than a 6.2 - if im lucky

GK

DR - LFB D

DC LD D

DC LD D

DL LFB D

MR W A

MC BWM S

MC DLP S

ML W A

SC DLF S

SC AF A

Occasionally play

GK

DR - LFB D

DC LD D

DC LD D

DL LFB D

DM DM D

MC DLP S

MC B2B S

AMR IF A / W S

AML IF S /W S

SC AF A

usually play counter, high tempo exploit flanks

will sometimes retain possession. When i get annoyed i go to attack but - and herers the rub in 4 saves - MENTALITIES DONT SEEM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If it is simply the case being succesful with rotherham united is impossible thats fine i'll sell the game and get a new hobby

Would appreciate help but having spent the best part of my life since this game came out it will take a lot to convince me theres anything i can do

also needless to say the opposition keeper is super keeper each time. We miss penalties we are awarded, miss 1v1 while opp score theirs

EDIT: just played last game of evening, all stats fairly evening, match seemed like we battered them we had 5 clear cuts to their 3 and they won 4-1.......

disclaimer - i KNOW these things happen in football but not every game

One strange thing. EVERY game on EVERY save my 'quality championship' fullbacks never get more than a 6.2 - if im lucky

GK

DR - LFB D

DC LD D

DC LD D

DL LFB D

MR W A

MC BWM S

MC DLP S

ML W A

SC DLF S

SC AF A

Not really surprised as you're playing limited full backs, they'll win the ball and hoof it, most likely losing possession, increasing pressure, hence the low ratings, hence the goals conceded. Same for the rest of your defence really.

On top of that, your midfield is mostly going to go missing, the ball winner will push high up the pitch chasing the ball, the sitting DLP will be moderately high, though he is expected to be anchor the entire midfield on his own by the looks of it. Especially as the wingers will be pushing forward.

Basically, your team is static at the back, clearing it long, your midfield is mostly moving away from defence. Just about the only thing really working together is the striking pair. There is no movement or support from the backline.

A more sensible role distribution may be: GK/D, FB/A, FB/S, CD/D, CD/D, W/S, W/A, DLP/D, CM/S, DLP/S, AF/A.

That would get more movement between the lines, and ensure two central midfielders will shield the defence. I'd suggest reading more on the roles and creation of tactics in the stickies on here.

So. I'm Rotherham United.

GK

DR - LFB D

DC LD D

DC LD D

DL LFB D

MR W A

MC BWM S

MC DLP S

ML W A

SC DLF S

SC AF A

Occasionally play

GK

DR - LFB D

DC LD D

DC LD D

DL LFB D

DM DM D

MC DLP S

MC B2B S

AMR IF A / W S

AML IF S /W S

SC AF A

usually play counter, high tempo exploit flanks

will sometimes retain possession. When i get annoyed i go to attack but - and herers the rub in 4 saves - MENTALITIES DONT SEEM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If it is simply the case being succesful with rotherham united is impossible thats fine i'll sell the game and get a new hobby

Would appreciate help but having spent the best part of my life since this game came out it will take a lot to convince me theres anything i can do

also needless to say the opposition keeper is super keeper each time. We miss penalties we are awarded, miss 1v1 while opp score theirs

EDIT: just played last game of evening, all stats fairly evening, match seemed like we battered them we had 5 clear cuts to their 3 and they won 4-1.......

disclaimer - i KNOW these things happen in football but not every game

To tack on to what isignedupfornorealreason said playing with high tempo and exploit the flanks seems like it will cause you more problems. Your wingers are already isolated and getting the ball to them quicker, with as little wingback support as tactically possible, seems like a recipe for frustration. Best advice is to look to create better link ups between each phase, assess each players' options from back to front and try and maximise them.

My recommendation would be:

GK

RB - FB(A)

CB - CD(D)

CB - CD(D)

LB - FB(A)

RM - WM(S/A) - Stay Wider

DM - BWM(D)

CM - CM(S/A)

CM - DLP(S)

LM - WM(A) - Stay Wider, Cut Inside

ST - DLF(A)

Get Stuck In, Work Ball into Box, Look for Overlap, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Lower Tempo, Control.

Although this was rather hastily thrown together and I have zero knowledge of your players.

Wow. This is scary, thats EXACTLY what happens. Defence plays long balls, midfield tend to be non existant, SO much space in the middle. It's weird that you've nailed it so well! Thank you, I will try your role suggestions. Whats worrying is that I didn't see it! I'll also do the reading so thanks again. Clearly my system is flawed, though I simply could not see it. I'll do some reading and try again a bit fresher tonight. Appreciate that guys, thanks

Despite being a Rotherham Fan I have not actually played with them on FM16 yet. Mainly because I feel like we would get battered every week. We do not have a squad good enough for the championship. But also because for some reason on FM they do not want to use the youth team (I know this because I had an interview) which was a steve evans decision. Not the clubs. They are actively seeking to change that currently. However, I have had success in the lower leagues and noticed a few things that have helped me a lot. I must add that I have not managed above League 2 level yet so I don't know how well they would work in the championship but I find that 4-1-2-2-1 and counter attack seem to work really well in the lower leagues.I always struggle with 4-4-2. Don't know why. I have also learned to ignore the recommended roles for players and play them where I want them to play and train them for that position. For example playing FB's in the FB role when they are rated better as a LFB. As stated above, LFB give the ball away too much for me. Playing FB's improved my results significantly and having them on a defend mentality. I also found similar results with LCB's and CB's so I tend to use one of each.

Also, do you rigidly stick to your formation and instructions or change them before games? I find that looking at what the opposition do and set up like before helps me. You can quite often figure out what formation they will play against you which means you can make alterations like putting your quickest centre back in the place of their fastest striker, change the roles of your full backs and wingers to support, attack or defend depending on what their weaknesses and strengths are or playing a higher defensive line if they have slow strikers. things like that. Its the simplest things that people often miss ir don't think of (Or don't have the patience to do) Obviously if your players are just not good enough it wont make a difference but I find it does help.

Do you watch the game on extended highlights as well or key?

This is the thing, on FM all players are rated Championship quality - when played right we should be doing ok.

Interesting points. I tend to stick to formation in all games - maybe will take a bit of work on my part and change formations etc and certainly to look at player roles going forwards

I always watch extended

You can usually spot what the issues are on extended. Thats why I asked. For me, I struggled for a long time stopping crosses but by doing tight marking on slower wingers and closing them down I have snuffed it out. You can then see the differences as well which makes it really satisfying.

I rarely, if ever actually change formation. Its usually just slight tweaks to roles, mentality and team instructions I make but it really helps. You just need to spend time examining the opposition reports your scout gives you and checking their team before. Sometimes when I have won a few games I get lazy and dont do this and I always end up losing then. To do this you have to really understand what all the options and instructions in fm do though. There is a helpful file as a sticky in the tactics forum (Think its pairs and combinations) which may help you out.

Yeh sometimes i get complacent. I suppose you have to realise every piece of information you were provided is relevant and you can use to your advantage. I guess every little tweak DOES matter. It's just understanding what works and what doesnt!

Yeh I'm working my way through it now!

Aprreciate the help :)

nope, literally impossible. Since you guys advice ive started again TWICE. Tried the roles suggested and some i read about. First 4 games i hada total of 6 shots, but i won 1-0 and drew 1-1. Since then, nothing, im having 12-16 shots a game but oppositions either get penalties or have supe keeper. 6 one v ones and not one scored? come on!

now the board are angry again and wanting my head. Regardless of who plays there or what roles i give my LB and RB never get more than 5.5, but when i talk to them they get angry. I've tried different tactics, roles, formations, personell, and i simpl cannot win more than a few matches, the odds are hugely stacked against us.

My performances arent that bad. A little boring maybe, and my strikers are now non existant (in my first save scoring wasn't a problem). I lost 3-1 to accrington for fecks sake.

This game is either impossible or far to difficult to be any fun. Or am i missing something here?

nope, literally impossible. Since you guys advice ive started again TWICE. Tried the roles suggested and some i read about. First 4 games i hada total of 6 shots, but i won 1-0 and drew 1-1. Since then, nothing, im having 12-16 shots a game but oppositions either get penalties or have supe keeper. 6 one v ones and not one scored? come on!

now the board are angry again and wanting my head. Regardless of who plays there or what roles i give my LB and RB never get more than 5.5, but when i talk to them they get angry. I've tried different tactics, roles, formations, personell, and i simpl cannot win more than a few matches, the odds are hugely stacked against us.

My performances arent that bad. A little boring maybe, and my strikers are now non existant (in my first save scoring wasn't a problem). I lost 3-1 to accrington for fecks sake.

This game is either impossible or far to difficult to be any fun. Or am i missing something here?

Who are you playing up top and how are you playing your fullbacks? I'll check this thread after I get back from work and see if I can help you out. I'm no tactician, but I've just been reading up on threads (E.G Cleons), on roles that help each other and look at Rotherhams strengths and weaknesses. Originally tried to put my FM15 tactics into FM16 but didn't work aswell. I'm also finding great results using a three man midfield and letting my fullbacks(or in this case wingbacks) attack. I'd advise to try scrap any idea of playing 4 - 4 - 2 with Rotherham. You don't have quality strikers, you have better Wingers/IFs.

Something such as Bowery/Maguire AMR. Ward/Ledesma AML. Derbyshire/Clarke-Harris uptop.

Who are you playing up top and how are you playing your fullbacks? I'll check this thread after I get back from work and see if I can help you out. I'm no tactician, but I've just been reading up on threads (E.G Cleons), on roles that help each other and look at Rotherhams strengths and weaknesses. Originally tried to put my FM15 tactics into FM16 but didn't work aswell. I'm also finding great results using a three man midfield and letting my fullbacks(or in this case wingbacks) attack. I'd advise to try scrap any idea of playing 4 - 4 - 2 with Rotherham. You don't have quality strikers, you have better Wingers/IFs.

Something such as Bowery/Maguire AMR. Ward/Ledesma AML. Derbyshire/Clarke-Harris uptop.

I've tried 451 and ive tried 442. Im playing dull boring football. 6.2 is te highest rating my players get. I try to play through the middle, i try to play on the flanks, i try attack i try to defend. I either grin out 1-0 losses which are boring or play brilliantly and...lose due to super keeper syndrome Ive got delpiero and derbyshire up top. When i play 451 its one o those two up top with ward/maguire/ledesma on the wings. My midfield is *****, my defence is not too bad but im losing by single goals, and my forwards, well, they may as well not be on the pitch. In my first save i was losing lots but i was playing decent football and i was scoring. last three matcher, total of 4 shots and one on target, thats not per match, thats total.

Not sure I know what to do?

tackling too, players just dance around my players while they aimlessly follow them. soon as i get the ball, boom successful tackles. either the match engine is sh*te which i doubt, or the game is simpl impossible, or im missing something?

Just lost 1-0 to cardiff. more possession, 10 shots, 1 on target they had 8/6. this game is obviously skewed agaisnt me lol actually played them off the park. super keeper. its boring. i dont mind losing whe i play badly, which is often enough, but losing the off game i play well is ridiculous. oh and for reference cardiff are, were, below me in the league

What sort of team and player instructions do you use rufcjoe?? Do you have lots of them? Are goals being scored from or assists coming from particular positions?

To be fair, as someone who is a season ticket holder at the New York I feel it may just be that FM16 is realistic. We are terrible at the minute and it will take a miracle for us to stay up. So I would expect the game to be similar.

This became like reading a Twitter feed with such regular updates :p

What are you trying at the moment with your formative, team instructions and player instructions? Did you try the above suggestions or still with your own creation? Are you allowing your players to get used to your tactics or chopping and changing it every game? Is there a particular formation you struggle with, or all the formations? Did you follow the advice, and implement it, from that Rotherham Team Guide?

What do you want to achieve tactics-wise. Are you trying to be solid at the back, score on the counter.... pass it through the defence. What are you trying to achieve with your tactics? It seems a bit like you've got a little bit of everything, thrown it all in and pressed go.

totally agreed..

If you can't contribute in a useful manner in the forum, please don't contribute at all. You've made a couple of unnecessary digs like this now. Just because you aren't good at the game doesn't mean that it's a bad game.

This thread is being closed as it is descending into a rant-fest. The OP has had direct support and advice from somebody who has achieved with the same team, so I'd suggest that it is a tactical issue where the OP is unable to implement the advice given.

Archived