Is it just me or FM16 has the best match engine 'out of the box'?

So, I finished my 1st season yesterday (1860 Munchen) and I must say I'm really impressed with the match engine this year. I seriously see no area that I can clearly point out and say it's bugged/broken/plain bad (like last year's overpowered crossing). Is it just me? :)

Anyway, good job SI! Now if you would only stop messing with the UI - the interface has been becoming worse and worse! Come on guys, you're better than this (look at that glorious UI in FM13)!

Are you serious? I have been playing FM 2014 since it came out and have only just upgraded to FM 2016 and the FM2014 match engine is way better than this. I honestly can't believe how they could spend 2 years making the match engine worse - but at least we've got nice animations of houses and people's back gardens and the burger van. Seriously I'm so angry about this that I'm going back to playing 2014. You spend all that time on the management side of the game then you watch the match and it's a complete joke. The players look deformed, they don't move properly - they look as if they are running in treacle or else they look as if they are skating around on ice. The ball doesn't move at all realistically. the AI is supposed to be improved which again is a complete joke. The keepers stand there on the goal line whilst a striker runs in and knocks it past them from a yard out, or else they watch it go a foot past them without making an attempt to dive, or they are making virtually impossible world class saves. The in match speed is too slow - I've had to put it up a notch to make it look remotely realistic. Players still pass through each other like ghosts (like they did in FM2014) or they run across their own player knocking the ball to an opponent (again a problem with FM2014). Also again like 2014 at free kicks the goalies still stand on the goal line. Have you ever seen a keeper do this in real life? No, because they don't. Why has no-one ever noticed this and corrected it? Also every time a striker runs through on goal clear of the defence he will stop, wait for all the defenders to get back, then blast the ball against on of them. Every time! it's just incredibly frustrating tom watch and completely ruins the game for me. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I know I'm playing in the lower leagues, but if the programmers think that this is how lower league football is then it's an insult. The 3d match engine is awful - is it just me who thinks that?

Very much a work in progress for me.

Goalkeepers still look horrid (which I understand is more animation), defensive positioning is poor, certain types of play appear overpowered, players still consistently play with their weaker foot and can execute zidane-esq passes.

All that sounds very negative, but for me they are honest, repetitive visible issues. That being said I'll always buy the game and I think on the whole it get's better every version.

Agree Macca that the management aspects in the game have been nicely tweaked since FM2014 (haven't played FM 2015) and that part of the game has definitely been improved. However that counts for nothing if the 3d match doesn't pass muster, as that's the most exciting part of the game.

Archived