FM16: Burnley FC - Life after The Ginger Mourinho

clarets

Burnley Football Club “Life after the Ginger Mourinho”

axf8no.jpg

History

Burnley Football Club are a professional football club based in Burnley, Lancashire, who play in The Championship, the second highest level of English football. Nicknamed The Clarets, due to the dominant colour of their home shirts, they were one of the founder members of the Football League in 1888.[1] The club colours of claret and blue were adopted in 1910 in tribute to the dominant club of English football at the time, Aston Villa. It was thought the colours might lift and inspire Burnley to emulate the aforementioned side, the colours before claret and blue was yellow and black,Their home ground since 1883 has been Turf Moor.

Burnley have been Football League Champions twice, in 1920–21and 1959–60, and have won the FA Cup once, in1914. The Clarets also reached the 1961 quarter-finals of the European Cup. They are one of only three teams to have won all top four professional divisions of English football, along with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Preston North End.

The club spent most of their early history in England's top two football divisions, but remained outside the top flight from 1976 to 2009. From 1985 to 1992 they had a seven-year spell in the lowest tier of the Football League. In 1987 they narrowly avoided relegation to the Conference. Between 2000 and 2009 they played in the second tier of English football, until they gained promotion to the Premier League for the first time in 33 years after winning the 2009 Championship play-off final, but were relegated after a single season. The club played in the Premier League again in 2014–15 after being promoted from the Football League Championship at the end of the 2013–14 season as runners-up to Leicester City.However, on 9 May 2015, Burnley were relegated back to the Championship despite a 1–0 win against relegation rivalsHull City.

Recent History

Premier League and recent times (2009–)

The town of Burnley became the smallest town to host a Premier League club; this being the club's 52nd season in the top flight of English football. Burnley's home form in 2009–10 started well, including a 1–0 win against reigning champions Manchester United and an identical scoreline over top six club Everton shortly afterwards. However, away form was poor, epitomised by a 3–2 defeat to local rivals Blackburn Rovers in October. Manager Coyle left Burnley in January 2010, to manage Bolton Wanderers, a club for which he played from 1993 to 1995. He was replaced by Brian Laws, with Russ Wilcox as his assistant and Graham Alexander appointed as player-coach. Burnley's form, which had already proved difficult to sustain in the last months of Coyle's reign, continued to decline under the new management, and Burnley were relegated after a single season back in the top flight. Burnley's last match in the Premier League before their relegation was a victory over fourth placed Tottenham Hotspur 4–2 on the final day of the season.

Burnley started the new 2010–11 season as one of the favourites for promotion but were inconsistent and Laws was dismissed as manager in December 2010 with the team in 9th place. Laws was replaced by Eddie Howe, with Jason Tindall as his assistant. Burnley ended the 2010–11 season in eighth place, and therefore remained in the Championship for the following campaign.

On 12 October 2012 it was confirmed that Eddie Howe had left Burnley to rejoin his hometown club Bournemouth along with Assistant Manager Jason Tindall due to personal reasons. On 30 October 2012 former Watford manager Sean Dyche took over as new manager of Burnley.

On 21 April 2014, Burnley were promoted to the Premier League for the 2014–15 season after beating Wigan Athletic 2–0 with goals from Ashley Barnes and Michael Kightly. This was the club's 53rd season in the top flight.

The Premier League session ended after the first season as Burnley was officially guaranteed relegation to the Championship for 2015–16 on 9 May 2015 despite a 1–0 victory away against Hull City. Other results on that date left Burnley trailing 17th-place Newcastle United by seven points with only two matches to play.

Burnley have a habit of producing and bringing strikers form lower leagues and turning them into top flight plays, Jay Rodriquez,Charlie Austin,Danny Ings, have come through the ranks in the last few season.

Ground

Turf Moor 22,546

21mgnt3.jpg

e5sf0o.png

Shirts

21o1150.png

Finance

Rich due to parachute payments and due diligence when in the premier league.

20i9irq.png

Current Squad

28rz6ns.png

Current Squad

Goalkeepers.

91mkps.png2u76m2p.png

Heaton is one of the best keepers out side the Premier League and currently England 3rd choice keeper.

e5nq0k.png

Left Backs.

33jj0ix.pngvx17d.png

Two different types of left backs the more defensive Mee and the more attack minded Irish international Ward.

34qa05d.png

Right Backs.

650q6b.png347i2pe.png

Tendeyi is a rapid quick player who has been converted from a winger whilst Lowton is a better defender. Both new signings.

2zsp9bb.png

Centre Backs.

1dtme.png2i8j8df.png1zlc57c.png

Keane could become a International and is your stand out defender, The evergreen Duff is nearing the end but is useful and Long untested at this level and injured for 2-4 months. Mee can fill in at Centre back but this is a area i think needs looking at.

w7ynfo.png

Central Midfielders.

1j407t.png333lkbs.pngb6wrrs.png22gebc.png

With the arrival of Barton the midfield looks balanced on paper and a strong area should you want to play with 2 or 3 in there. Lacks a real advanced midfielder if were being very picky but options elsewhere make this a strong area.

311ukc9.png

Wide Midfielders/ Wingers.

28khndk.png2ivgtus.pngs1pb9h.png28lezrb.png

Boyd will run and run and the functional Arfield but with only Kightly your out and out wing option with pace it may be a area you want to look at. Gray can be played out wide but what a waste of his obvious talent up top.

Right

34y7ms1.png

Left

1zw2884.png

Forwards.

i6i247.png2mrbloy.png25sue06.pnghwd0eo.png30vyys8.png2a0auiu.png

On paper this is a very strong area with the explosive Gray both quick and strong and the holding play of Vokes with able back up but injury too Barnes and Jutkiewocz and the unknown Greman Hennings and promising Long not proven at this level, a injury to your key striker could tempt you into the loan market.

A good mix of roles in the strikers.

2yla4g3.png

TEAM OVERALL FROM THE ASSISTANT REPORTS

2079agz.png

Overall a very capable Championship side splattered with talent but can you take them further than the Ginger Mourinho it a challenge the board expect the play off’s as a minimum requirement injury to some key players make it harder than it could be in a very tight and closely fought championship. Can you get the best out of the explosive Andre Gray and justify the 6m (plus 3m) add ons price tag and you keep the controversial yet talented Joey Barton under control. Can you keep your key players before the bigger clubs come looking. I pick Burnley because it is my birthright and my club good luck and please be kind it my first effort at this.

A small town club battling with big city rivals can you bounce back first time to the premiership !!!!

e5sf0o.png

I´ve just started as Burnley! So far so good!

I actually joined them in June 2016 after they finished 13th in the championship, so already one season into the game. I joined them after getting sacked from my previous role (Darmstadt is a tough save). I´m now 8 games in with the season going well. Took the team a little while to get my tactics, but we´re now playing well and are sitting 5th in the league. I expect us to go higher. Will give a more detailed update later this week. But so far I am enjoying managing Burnley.

I've managed to get Jesse Lingard & Nathan Redmond in for my year in the prem. If any of you can manage it i'd highly recommend it, Redmond is a BEAST!

Good players! I managed to sign Dwight Gayle for 650K GBP... however he then got injured 5 mins into his debut and is out for 5-6 months. I´ve almost got him back, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Season 1 completed : it was a very easy season in the league tbh , if i had sorted my tactic at the start of the season i think i could have not lost a game

2mgm3xj.jpg

Trasfers : not alot of action as it wasnt needed. brought in taarabt as im a huge fan of him and he slotted in to the way i wanted things to happen on the pitch and run amok on the field

11vkuc0.jpg

Player of the season was andre grey , he was a machine upfront :

nlcy8p.jpg

cups : i wasn't to fazed and played my youth squads and didn't do any good

just started season 2 and brought in a heap of new players im gonna aim for a top 7 spot, big ask but i think the tactic and players will sort it easy

will update at end of season :)

Season 1 completed : it was a very easy season in the league tbh , if i had sorted my tactic at the start of the season i think i could have not lost a game

2mgm3xj.jpg

Trasfers : not alot of action as it wasnt needed. brought in taarabt as im a huge fan of him and he slotted in to the way i wanted things to happen on the pitch and run amok on the field

11vkuc0.jpg

Player of the season was andre grey , he was a machine upfront :

nlcy8p.jpg

cups : i wasn't to fazed and played my youth squads and didn't do any good

just started season 2 and brought in a heap of new players im gonna aim for a top 7 spot, big ask but i think the tactic and players will sort it easy

will update at end of season :)

Nice effort buddy! I´m in my third season with Burnley now! I will also do some updates, but haven´t been bothering up until this point as I though the thread was pretty dead!

My first season in the game was actually with Darmstadt in the Bundesliga, where I got relegated and then had a falling out with the board and left. That season Burnley had a miserable time in the league and finished 13th, so the manager was sacked and I applied and got the job.

My first season with Burnley (2016/17) I finished 1st in the championship like yourself and also with only minor changes to the team. Second season I finished 9th, and could have finished 7th and maybe even 6th if I hadn´t lost 3 out of my 4 last games! In all 3 of those games, I went into a 1-0 lead, before eventually losing 2-1 to goals in the last 15 minutes. Very frustrating. But, that so, I think your hope of finishing 7th is pretty reasonable.

Now just starting my third season and hoping to make a push for the European spots. Finished pre-season and I´m pretty happy with my squad, though I am a little thin upfront. Otherwise I have good depth in midfield and defence.

Will do a proper update for you tomorrow about my third season. I´ve tried to keep my squad mostly English, or HG as the Burnley squad contained a lot of English players already, so I thought it would be nice to continue that trend.

Looking forward to starting the season proper tomorrow :p

Archived