Dwells on Ball - Is it a mostly negative PPM?

SZJX

I am always used to buying Pogba in recent FMs because he is almost the only realistic player to buy with >180 CA (after one or two seasons) and >190 PA. However, in FM16, he usually doesn't perform very well for me no matter what kind of role I give him. I realized that he has a PPM "Dwells on Ball". I did some Googling and saw many people claim this is a mostly useless and negative PPM. Is it? I don't really want to waste his attacking talent so I usually deploy him in a more attacking role instead of, say, DLP. Does this trait work particularly badly when the player is assigned an attacking role? Thanks.

I find it depends on how you play/want to play. For fast direct football it can be terrible. But I have played him as a roaming playmaker in a defensive patient tactic and he is superb...just seems to hold the ball a little longer for players to get in good positions...and with his other attributes this mainly results in at least a half chance being created.

OK, so it seems that if he's played as AM then this trait would hinder his performance, and the best way to use him for now is still to play him in a deeper position.

well not entirely true either

as an AM, he'd 'dwell on ball' to spot an opening, rather than try an ambitious pass (most likely intercepted leading to a counter)

no traits are bad (okay, maybe 'argue with officials') it really depends on how you like to play

Spurs Lamela had it in FM15 and I played him as IF/S, he was still one of the strongest players on the team.

I think the dwell part made him slow to get going, but one of his key moves was running at defense IF style and scoring long shots. He seemed insanely fast on the run, where dwells on ball doesn't matter.

In FM16 I'm having performance issues with Barcelona's Turan and I think he has dwell's on ball too (AMR/L/C player). Seems like Spanish teams really like pressing hard and first he dwells on ball, letting them get close, resulting in a pass under pressure. I'm not sure if dwells on ball result in "thinking", at least in this players case it seems mostly negative.

Archived