Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
SpartanUTD

100mm x 65mm pitch not good for attacking tactics?

Last season, my team from 6th in Budesligua previous season, finished 14th!

I managed to save the day and my job after the start of the 2nd round, by playing an attacking/fluid 4-1-2-2-1 in a 105mm x 68mm pitch.

Although it seemed to work well, I noticed a leathal floor:

I was conceding a lot, when opposition strikers or wingers would easily manage to snick between my centre back and the full-back on either side of the pitch and score form a 1-2-1 postition.

So now, I kept exactly the same tactics with match instructions:

Get ball forward-play narrower-push higher up-hassle opponents-get stuck in

I changed the pitch dimensions to 100mm x 65mm (from 105mm x 68mm).

I was hoping that playing narrower in a narrower pitch :eek: combined with the push higher up-hassle opponents-get stuck in instructions, would create a super pressing attacking game with little space left to the opponent.

Since the pitch dimensions change, in the last 3 friendlies, defence-wise, I concede maybe 1 goal per game instead of 1-3, but I cannot score or create any chances like before, when I would score 2-3 times!

It's obviously to late to change the pitch dimensions, 2 weeks before new season kick-off.

Any ideas on how I could overcome the shorter/narrower pitch with attacking tactics?

PS: Would "pass into space" help instead of "get ball forward"?

A narrower pitch should only impact you if you are wanting to attack mainly down the flanks...the problem I would suggest is the get ball forward...you will be squandering possession a lot so having to defend more. Try setting passing to more direct with possibly play out of defence so your CB wont just launch hopeful hail mary passes and instead will give the ball to more capable passers.

A narrower pitch should only impact you if you are wanting to attack mainly down the flanks...the problem I would suggest is the get ball forward...you will be squandering possession a lot so having to defend more. Try setting passing to more direct with possibly play out of defence so your CB wont just launch hopeful hail mary passes and instead will give the ball to more capable passers.

I never tried that, maybe now it's the right time, thanks