Wage Negotiations

What do you do to try and spend less?

I'm currently managing Swansea and i'm glad to say that my old habits are still applicable. When negotiations are first started I usually begin with a few clicks to lower the potential new wage and then change all of the bonuses to £1. No-one gets a yearly rise. long term bonuses are usually left alone such as avoiding relegation. Most of the time the player will try to negotiate a little if not reset the original offer. I find that after a couple of attempts my way wins.

I'm just wondering what do you do to try and reduce the outgoings regarding wages and bonuses. Do you try to offer very high bonuses that don't happen too often with low wages or do you have a different approach?

long term goals are (where possible) written out, particularly as I'm early into a dynasty-career (a bonus for qualifying for the CL? I plan on winning it within 2-3 years) - particularly as they won it in an AI-only sim (by 2017/18)

yearly wage rise is a complete no no, I would rather pay them a little more upfront than pay them that

it's the left column that I try to skimp on

I'll have a figure in mind, typically what the scouts say, and go with that as my first negotiation

then they'll counter me, with values for their clauses (I leave them blank normally) and then try and round them out (215k becomes 200k, that kind of thing)

I aim to reward players that perform so I usually put max bonuses for goals, clean sheets, winning anything, team of the year and scoring 30 goals.

Then I usually put contract to 3 years with a 2 year optional extension for the club. I exclude yearly wage rises, promotion wage rises, minimum release clauses.

After that we settle on the lowest possible salary that I can get.

I offer higher bonuses and lower salaries. For me, I like to add "one year optional by club" - something most agents seem to dislike.

darkfng has some great suggestions up there. Quick question on "2 year optional extension": does it mean that when I click it, will it automatically add two years at once, or do I have the chance of making this decision once each year?

Does anyone do the maths on their wage negotiations? I know that on FM15 I had a ST in a lower league save with Maidstone, the ST scored over 66 goals in all comps, yet he was only getting £1. I think the normal bonus for scoring would've been £200. I could probably try to see if I can do anything with the GK wages considering they don't keep that many clean sheets. I know that my way has a calculated risk and how to progress with the agent, I just don't know how to take advantage of the higher bonuses/lower wages approach.

Hi Scouters - Good question. Yes, I do the maths on all those fronts: salary, goal bonus, and competition bonuses. Low salaries keeps the board happy against the total budget. I also estimate the financial impact of an excellent striker (bonus per goal), and find that the percentage is never more than 20% of his annual salary. BTW, if I had a striker scoring 66 goals, I'd be making lots of money with ticket sales, merchandising, and league promotion!

I also ask the board to find a parent team to get players on loan for free. Playing as Millwall, I got three 4 star players entirely for free from Liverpool as loans!

When you click to activate the two year extension by the club it adds two years to the length of the contract. I usually do it in the final year of the initial three if I want the player to stay for at least one more season, I can always sell him in his final year.

I never do the maths on bonuses vs salary. I assume that if the players are getting paid high amounts through bonuses then the team must be achieving success, which usually leads to more revenue.

Archived