FM16: Chelsea FC - Champions of England, We Know What We Are!

PitchPosh

I've started a Chelsea save, but haven't really gotten into it much as I've been traveling quite a bit since the Beta came out. I'll probably be looking to spend some more time getting settled into it this week. 

I'm tempted to try a formation with 3 at the back, but I'm no Conte! I think retraining Hazard as a False Nine could be fun, though. 

A lot of the youth looks really good, too. Tammy Abraham looks unreal!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have started my Chelsea beta test save on FM17 and have just finished the season. We were in trouble from the off at 10th position but then got into the top 4, 2nd for most of the season, with a good run of form but finished in 4th after 4 draws in a row to close the season. 

Not sure why but the promises to players when signing them acted up (probably a Beta issue). Promised they would play in there main role and I did, yet they still moaned and wanted to leave. So a lot of players I bought had to be sold following the season. However, I did seem to get money back for them or a lot more!

I opted for the 4-1-2-2-1 formation for the first season. It seemed to work well at home and away for a lot of the season once I knew the way I wanted to play but then it seemed like the clubs figured me out and I hit a rough patch. This has led to me tinkering with Contes 3-4-3 formation for the coming 2017/18 season.

Transfers 2016/17: 
Players out: 

• Ivanovic- Monaco- 3.3 mill
  • Cahill- Quanjian- 4.5 mill
  • Mikel- Leicester- 8 mill
  • Begovic-Man City -10.5 mill

Total: 26 mill

I have not been a fan of the way Ivanovic has played in real life and he just didnt impress in the game. So I got rid of him and took what I could from who ever was willing. Cahill just didnt perform for us and headed for the door in January. I probably should have got a lot more for him but again needed any money I could to bring in Coentrao after Alonso got injured for 8 months! Begovic was getting annoyed about the lack of first team football which is fair enough as he just wasnt getting any, so off he went too. 

Players in: 

• Jordan Williams- Huddersfield- 425k
  • Mile Svilar- Anderlecht-1.1 mill
  • Eoghan O'Connel-Celtic-1.5 mill back on loan to them for the season
  • Ryan & Steven Sessegnon - Fulham- 1.8 mill + 325k
  • Danilo-Reak Madird- 7 mill
  • Luan- Gremio- 7.5 mill
  • Timo Horn- Koln- 7.75 mill
  • Coentrao-Real Madrid- 9.5 mill
  • Michael Keane- Burnley- £20 mill

The likes of Williams and the Sessegnon brothers were done to keep attempting to bring through some english talent. The young Belgian goalkeep Svilar looked incredible for his age and couldnt say no. O'Connel from Celtic looked a good buy for 1.5 mill. He would  go back out on loan for them and have a cracking season! Danilo was brought in for a right back as I just felt we lack quality in the area and for 7 mill... bargain! He was very very good for me and wouldnt hesitate getting him again. As mentioned before an 8 month injury to Alonso led me to bringing in Coentrao who has been a beast on the left hand side of defense. Luan came in to offer some competition for the striker and wing births which he did. Michael Keane... next John Terry, why wouldnt I? :p

Total: 63 mill

Nothing really too exciting to talk about. Didn't do much in the Cup competitions and with only the Prem to focus on we got into the top 4, which means champions league football this season coming up (2017/18).  

Out of the English youngsters I have to say that I especially like the looks of Palmer in the midfield  & Fikayo Timori looks promising too. Disappointed with RLC, Aina & N.Chalobah though. I expected them to better in this version of the game for some reason. Especially after the pre season they had. I guess they could be okay if you were willing to blood them and sacrifice results. Then again Roman seems to be pretty harsh first season and it seems is looking for any reason to get rid of you, so its up to you to take the risk or not. Charlie (Colks) looks okay if you are looking for a young english playmaker in your setup. They really need to look at updating Victor Moses though after his extremely good performances, as he really just isn't that great in the game. 

I have to say though... Marcos Alonso, Luiz and Willians free kicks... insane! 
Update to come....

20 minutes ago, skrew said:

Mario Fernandes will be your friend, you can get him at 12-13M

Or you make the mistake of getting him in the 2nd season and having to pay 30 mill. He has been incredible in CBR and wing back R for me in pre season in Contes 3-4-3. I still cant get use to him having Russian nationality though lol. 

I ended up going with a Mario as well, but the Villareal version. Seems like we're set for the future at LB with Ake and Rahman coming back to the club, so I'm going to see if I can get away with playing Dasilva there behind Alonso for the first season. Waiting for the preseason to finish up and will post an update. 

17 hours ago, PitchPosh said:

I ended up going with a Mario as well, but the Villareal version. Seems like we're set for the future at LB with Ake and Rahman coming back to the club, so I'm going to see if I can get away with playing Dasilva there behind Alonso for the first season. Waiting for the preseason to finish up and will post an update. 

Yeah he was an option and looks great. Danilo and Coentrao were awesome before an annoying beta bug where they got unhappy because I apparently didn't keep my promise and play them in there favorite roles.

Abramovic is savage haha. Just been sacked. Will play with another team now just to fool about with the Beta, thinking money ball with Leicester and then come back here when the full game comes out. 

16 hours ago, Natedog17 said:

Yeah he was an option and looks great. Danilo and Coentrao were awesome before an annoying beta bug where they got unhappy because I apparently didn't keep my promise and play them in there favorite roles.

Abramovic is savage haha. Just been sacked. Will play with another team now just to fool about with the Beta, thinking money ball with Leicester and then come back here when the full game comes out. 

Yeah, I'm sitting 2nd at the moment, but have played a mix pretty/ugly football and I can sense Abramovic is sharpening his axe haha

Can people post some pics of their games please? The more I see, the more I want to get it but haven't made my mind up yet. If I do end up getting it, I don't think I'm gonna start as Chelsea for once. Want a real journeyman save and getting the Chelsea job will be the holy grail. Been saying I'll do it for years but this time I mean it!! 

Up the Chels!!!

10 hours ago, bucket said:

Can people post some pics of their games please? The more I see, the more I want to get it but haven't made my mind up yet. If I do end up getting it, I don't think I'm gonna start as Chelsea for once. Want a real journeyman save and getting the Chelsea job will be the holy grail. Been saying I'll do it for years but this time I mean it!! 

Up the Chels!!!

What sort of pics are you looking for bucket? 

14 hours ago, Natedog17 said:

What sort of pics are you looking for bucket? 

Any thing please mate. Tactics, youth team. Players to look out for. 

How are the youngsters rated? 

Is it worth getting? Better then 16?

7 hours ago, bucket said:

Any thing please mate. Tactics, youth team. Players to look out for. 

How are the youngsters rated? 

Is it worth getting? Better then 16?

Feels more streamlined too and for some reason the interviews seem less tedious, definitely new media. A lot of new small improvements to the game all over the place which just generally improves the play of the game and has made it more enjoyable for me.  I am going for a hard attacking/counter attacking and pressing 3-4-3 ala Conte system in my second attempt at the Beta save.

Here are a look at some of our youth: 

Finally plodding along nicely with Chelsea in a Conte inspired 3-4-3..

Top of the league on January 1st 2 points ahead of Arsenal. In the Semis of the EFL.

Based on performances this is how my team has shaped up,

Courtois

Zouma Luiz Cahill

Kante Matic

Moses                         Alonso

Fabregas Hazard

Costa

2 hours ago, nexting said:

Top of the league on January 1st 2 points ahead of Arsenal. In the Semis of the EFL.

Courtois

Zouma Luiz Cahill

Kante Matic

Fabregas Hazard

Costa

Interesting. Seems like a completely different take on his formation to mine.  How does it look in defense? I particular liked how our team shifted to a 5-4-1 shape in defense against Southampton today.

3-4-3 Structure & Control

• GK -Courtois 
  • DCL -Cahill/Terry
  • DC -Luiz/Cahill
  • DCR -Dave/Zouma
  • WBL -Alonso/Da silva
  • WBR -Peruzzi/Moses
  • MCL -Matic/Mikel
  • MCR -Kante/RLC/Chalobah
  • AML -Hazard/Willian/Oscar
  • AMR -Pedro/Willian/Oscar
  • ST -Costa/Batsuayi

I have been experimenting with 3-4-3 flexible/control along same lines as Natedog formation with DCL/DCR playing as CD/Co with Luiz in centre of the three as BPD/Defend. Wondering about changing him to stopper though. For wing backs currently have WBLon support duty and WBR on Attack. Kante playing MCR as B2B producing good performances and scoring. Currently deploying DLP/Support in MCR. Up top I have been playing Costa as DLF/Support with Hazard IF/Attack at AML and Willian as W/Support in AMR position. Possession stats/attacking football requirements of board being met and supporters happy with attacking nature of play. 

Hazard not getting good game ratings though and I feel that I need to get more out of him. In set up I describe above, focus of attacks is fairly evenly spread left/centre/right. Hazard seems to have a fairly free role under Conte set up so I have recently made some changes which have really imprived Hazards contribution and but led to an increase in central attacking focus at the expense of the wings. Now deploying Hazard as AMCR/TQ with William AMCR as AM/Support and Costa changed to Attack. William playing well in more central role. Changed my WDR to support duty and DLP to defend. 

Would be interested to hear how others are approaching 3-4-3 in FM17, particularly re exploiting Hazards undoubted ability.

If you give Hazard an AP role at AML, he'll roam to the center a lot. Give both wing-backs an attack duty and they'll quickly get forward to occupy the flanks. I'd also give Willian an IF (S) role. You can then also give both wing-backs the PI to stay wider and both AMR/AML the PI to get narrower. Give Costa a support role (DLF) and the three upfront so be fairly close to each other. In defence it means you'll line up 5-4-1 just like in real life.

27 minutes ago, Benoit2 said:

If you give Hazard an AP role at AML, he'll roam to the center a lot. Give both wing-backs an attack duty and they'll quickly get forward to occupy the flanks. I'd also give Willian an IF (S) role. You can then also give both wing-backs the PI to stay wider and both AMR/AML the PI to get narrower. Give Costa a support role (DLF) and the three upfront so be fairly close to each other. In defence it means you'll line up 5-4-1 just like in real life.

Thanks for swift feedback. I had previously tried both wing backs on attack, but without stay wider, combined with Hazard on IF/S with play narrower, and Willian on W/S but without play play narrower. I will try your suggestion out and see how it goes. My tactical fluidity dropped when I switched to to AMC, so should improve when I revert to previous formation but with roles/PI you suggest.

1 hour ago, mhaffy said:

Thanks for swift feedback. I had previously tried both wing backs on attack, but without stay wider, combined with Hazard on IF/S with play narrower, and Willian on W/S but without play play narrower. I will try your suggestion out and see how it goes. My tactical fluidity dropped when I switched to to AMC, so should improve when I revert to previous formation but with roles/PI you suggest.

Let us know how you get on :thup:

21 hours ago, nexting said:

Courtois

Zouma Luiz Cahill

Kante Matic

Fabregas Hazard

Costa

It's nice to see a 3-4-3 system which fits in Fabregas. I don't think I would be able to try it without him. 

19 hours ago, Natedog17 said:

Interesting. Seems like a completely different take on his formation to mine.  How does it look in defense? I particular liked how our team shifted to a 5-4-1 shape in defense against Southampton today.

3-4-3 Structure & Control

• GK -Courtois 
  • DCL -Cahill/Terry
  • DC -Luiz/Cahill
  • DCR -Dave/Zouma
  • WBL -Alonso/Da silva
  • WBR -Peruzzi/Moses
  • MCL -Matic/Mikel
  • MCR -Kante/RLC/Chalobah
  • AML -Hazard/Willian/Oscar
  • AMR -Pedro/Willian/Oscar
  • ST -Costa/Batsuayi

It looks very much like a 3-4-2-1 in defence and a 3-2-4-1 in attack. Costa has banged in 23 goals in 23 starts and 3 sub appearances. Hazard has 14 goals and 16 assists in 30

1 hour ago, dino said:

It's nice to see a 3-4-3 system which fits in Fabregas. I don't think I would be able to try it without him. 

Had to give the man a chance to impress and he has done so, so far.

I started as Chelsea, won the league first season and in the process went something like 24 matches unbeaten. Played 3 at the back with 2 complete wing backs 3 Cm's 2 wide men and a striker. Signed just the three players who were Jordan Williams for £475k, Koulibaly for £31.5mil and Kuki for £1.1mil.  The only players i sold that season were Ivanovic and Mikel (loan) but i completely phased out JT as he didn't fit my style at all apart from in away games when i used a deeper back 4 formation. I didn't make any headway in the cups.

In my second season it was a complete disaster - it was basically like Mourinho. I don't know what happened but suddenly nothing was working, the players weren't performing and we finished 10th. I had bought in Michael Keane for £8.25 mil as a replacement for Cahill who went to China for £10mil. Wayne Henessey came in on a free to replace Begovic who i sold for £12mi, Leon Goretzka came in for £23million i highly reccomend taking a look at him, a great all round midfielder. I signed Florentino Luis from Benfica for £700k as his contract was running down, again, another great prospect in the central position. Florenzi came in for £22.5mil and Rafinha for £21mil, i also bought a few good potential regens. Notible players who left that season were Moses for £12mil, Van Ginkel for £11mil, Pedro for £35mil as well as some of the poorer youths (Bamford, Atsu etc).

Third season we won the league again, fairly easily this time with 91 points and just 3 defeats, tactically i had done away with the back three plans and switched to a 4-2-3-1 at home and 4-4-1-1 away from home - not exciting i know but it got results. For that season i had bought in Barkley on a free as Everton were down in the Championship and he wanted out, Belotti for £26 mil who went on to be the league's top scorer and Julian Brandt who won young player of the year. Both Belotti and Brandt were incredible in the title run,  couldn't have asked for better signings. Notable sales that year included Willian for £15mil, Chalobah for 5mil, Rahman for £21.5mil, Traore for £3.5mil, Keane for £16mil and Oscar for £28mil.

So now i am in November in my 4th season, i'm doing well but not quite as well as last season. This is probably down to playing in europe and having some injuries to key players. Major signings from the summer just gone were Luke Shaw for £24mi, Lemos from Las Palmas for £18mil, Alena for £3.2 mil which is a steal and Pavon for £5mil who has been loaned out due to work permit issues. I also picked up a few more promising young players none of whom have actually broken into my squad yet. Leaving the team was Batshuayi who went to Stoke for £16mil as they qualified for Champions League, David Luiz for £8mil, Costa for 8.5mil, Kenedy for £6mil, Cuadrado for £9mi, Solanke for £7mil and Matic for £8mil. Alot of familiar faces gone but they were all starting to reach the 30+ age and with the size of some of their contracts i didn't want to keep them around/renew when i have capable replacements. 

If anyone wants any screenshots of young players etc let me know. I think the only real life youth players to make it into my squad at the moment are Ake and Bulka as my backup GK, although i do have a quality striker i got in my first intake. 

I have finally managed to play a couple of couple of matches  incorporating the changes suggested by Benoit2; watched matches on comprehensive setting. Early indications are good with a 4-1 win over West Brom ("fans were pleased with how much more dangerous the team looked in the final third of the pitch") and a solid 2-0 win over Man City in Qtr Final of League Cup (fan feedback was "possession is absolutely key at this level and Holloway felt the team's control of the game was excellent).

Against West Brom the team lined up 3-4-3 with both wing backs on Attack and with PI stay wider, Hazard AML AP Support, sit narrower and Willian AMR as IF Support, sit narrower.

Overall team mentality Control, with Flexible team shape. Team instructions were Retain Possession, Play Out of Defence, Work Ball into Box, Close down more, Use offside trap, Lower tempo and Prevent short goalkeeper distribution. Apart from the wing backs and AML/R, the only other player with PI's was Courtois - Distribute to centre backs and roll ball out to help build up play from back and retain possession.

AWestBromLineUp.JPG

Making the changes suggested by Benoit2 certainly made us more of a threat on the flanks whilst retaining a good defensive shape without the ball - a solid back 5! The focus of my attacks was no longer mainly through the centre as it had been playing two AMC's.

AWestBromPostMatchFocus.JPG

Hazard in AP support role did roam centrally but did not shine in the first half and I changed his role to Attack for second half. Unfortunately he picked up an injury early in second half, and with Man City looming I subbed him and Oscar took over. Team performance was much better in second half, partly due to half time wake up call.

Overall I was pleased with match stats from first game with this set-up: 56% possession, 17 shots (11 on target) and 4 goals with average team rating of 7.66.

AWestBromPostMatchOverall.JPG

AWestBromMatchStats.JPG

AWestBromPlayerStats.JPG

AWestBromPostMatchPasses.JPG

Hazard recovered for the next match against Man City in the League Cup Quarter Final. For this match, I made one change to my set up with Hazard as AP Attack from the start. Same players apart from Danilo coming in at WBR for "Dave". Everthing else as per West Brom match. I was concerned about having my WBL and AML both on attack but decided that this should be fine with Matic playing DLP on Defend duty on the left side of my midfield pair, plus the 3 central defenders (with the outer CD's both on cover duty). The set up worked a treat, defensively sound with good attacking play. Hazard was good, and we won 2-0 with 57% possession (similar to West Brom match but against better opponents).

AManCityLineUp.JPG

The focus of my attacks was very similar to the West Brom match with c30% centrally and 70% on flanks; far more balanced than 70% central when I played two AMC's  with Hazard in TQ role.

AManCityPostMatchFocus.JPG

Match stats not as good as West Brom game but we were playing Man City.  57% possession, 13 shots (only 4 on target) but 2 goals with average team rating of 7.38 - solid enough. Man City attacking threat was well dealt with by our defence and they only had 1 "clear cut" chance. Interesting to see that the Post Match Passing Network analysis was very similar to West Brom match.

AManCityPostMatchOverall.JPG

AManCityMatchStats.JPG

AManCityPlayerStats.JPG

AManCityPostMatchPasses.JPG

The heat map for Hazard against Man City (AP/Attack) clearly shows him cutting in/drifting/roaming centrally)

AManCityHazardHeat.JPG

In previous versions of FM my "go to" tactic for Chelsea (always my main save) has been 4-2-3-1. For FM17 I will have a 4-2-3-1 in my back pocket, but am currently planning on using and developing the 3-4-3 above.

I am playing full blown FM beta, not Touch, so my team is not completely fluid in the tactic used v West Brom & Man City: Awkward for Creative Freedom, Accomplished for Formation and Fluid in all other areas. Hopefully team performances can only improve when completely fluid in all areas.

Looking forward to release of full game on Friday!

Hopefully the various screenshots are of interest to bucket.

2 hours ago, JackJCFC said:

I started as Chelsea, won the league first season and in the process went something like 24 matches unbeaten. Played 3 at the back with 2 complete wing backs 3 Cm's 2 wide men and a striker.

You seem to have 11 outfield players; presumably you had a goalie and only 2 CM's (rather than 3)?

Would be interested in seeing screenshots of your formation/roles and details of mentality, team shape, TI's and any PI's.

@mhaffy

Nice results :) Do keep us updates as you progress.

In terms of your three central defenders, you could choose to have the two on the outside on a stopper duty, to make them just a bit more aggressive in chasing down the sides. I would then give the central one a cover duty to.. cover :)

I've also been playing with both central midfielders on a support role, as you already have three defensive roles at the back. Obviously against stronger opponents you could go with the defend duty in midfield, but otherwise I enjoy the look of two support central midfielders :) You'll need two energetic players though as it's a bit box-to-box that way. Not sure if Cesc could cover that well, unless it's at home against a weaker opponent perhaps.

I will do some experimenting in beta, if I get time, before starting main save re stoppers for outer 2 and cover for central DC. Will also explore central DC as BPD/cover. Re central duo, I will probably carry on with DLP on defend unless I am up against weak opponents - still wary of both players on left flank being on attack duty. Agree re Cesc......he rarely features for me and I would readily accept a good offer!

Thanks for the tips!

2 hours ago, mhaffy said:

I will do some experimenting in beta, if I get time, before starting main save re stoppers for outer 2 and cover for central DC. Will also explore central DC as BPD/cover. Re central duo, I will probably carry on with DLP on defend unless I am up against weak opponents - still wary of both players on left flank being on attack duty. Agree re Cesc......he rarely features for me and I would readily accept a good offer!

Thanks for the tips!

I play Luiz in central cd as a BPD on cover  in my 3-4-3 and he has been amazing! I am not going to Lie... I have looked at his stats... He would be an amazing box to box! I dont play the two wider players as stoppers because I fear that would leave too much space between them and Luiz as the cover player.  However, the defence is only as good as the players in it. I have looked, to my surprise, extremely strong defensively with Cahill/Luiz/Dave. Unfortunately both Dave and Cahill have gotten injured so because Terry just can not hack it anymore, Matic had to drop into DCL role and lucky Zouma has just recovered so my defense is look like this: Matic/Luiz/Zouma (who has just picked up an injury ahhhhh!!). Played Terry in the EFL with Begovic in goal. Just got torn a new one by an average Wigan side.  Not doing that ever again! Terry can sit out his contract and get no where near my team. 

I play a ball winning midfielder (d) on my left with a box to box on the right of midfield. Seems to be working pretty well at the moment but needs a longer period to really tell. I have used Cesc in the Hazard role on the left... been a genius in the games he has played there. Think it is 2 goals (curling shots) and 2 assists in the 3 matches on that side. May be a way of fitting him into the system in real life too? Possible to look into him as a false 9 kinda like he did at Barcelona a few times. Not sure how I would make that work though. Insert other media

9 hours ago, mhaffy said:

I have finally managed to play a couple of couple of matches  incorporating the changes suggested by Benoit2; watched matches on comprehensive setting. Early indications are good with a 4-1 win over West Brom ("fans were pleased with how much more dangerous the team looked in the final third of the pitch") and a solid 2-0 win over Man City in Qtr Final of League Cup (fan feedback was "possession is absolutely key at this level and Holloway felt the team's control of the game was excellent).

Against West Brom the team lined up 3-4-3 with both wing backs on Attack and with PI stay wider, Hazard AML AP Support, sit narrower and Willian AMR as IF Support, sit narrower.

Overall team mentality Control, with Flexible team shape. Team instructions were Retain Possession, Play Out of Defence, Work Ball into Box, Close down more, Use offside trap, Lower tempo and Prevent short goalkeeper distribution. Apart from the wing backs and AML/R, the only other player with PI's was Courtois - Distribute to centre backs and roll ball out to help build up play from back and retain possession.

AWestBromLineUp.JPG

Making the changes suggested by Benoit2 certainly made us more of a threat on the flanks whilst retaining a good defensive shape without the ball - a solid back 5! The focus of my attacks was no longer mainly through the centre as it had been playing two AMC's.

AWestBromPostMatchFocus.JPG

Hazard in AP support role did roam centrally but did not shine in the first half and I changed his role to Attack for second half. Unfortunately he picked up an injury early in second half, and with Man City looming I subbed him and Oscar took over. Team performance was much better in second half, partly due to half time wake up call.

Overall I was pleased with match stats from first game with this set-up: 56% possession, 17 shots (11 on target) and 4 goals with average team rating of 7.66.

AWestBromPostMatchOverall.JPG

AWestBromMatchStats.JPG

AWestBromPlayerStats.JPG

AWestBromPostMatchPasses.JPG

Hazard recovered for the next match against Man City in the League Cup Quarter Final. For this match, I made one change to my set up with Hazard as AP Attack from the start. Same players apart from Danilo coming in at WBR for "Dave". Everthing else as per West Brom match. I was concerned about having my WBL and AML both on attack but decided that this should be fine with Matic playing DLP on Defend duty on the left side of my midfield pair, plus the 3 central defenders (with the outer CD's both on cover duty). The set up worked a treat, defensively sound with good attacking play. Hazard was good, and we won 2-0 with 57% possession (similar to West Brom match but against better opponents).

AManCityLineUp.JPG

The focus of my attacks was very similar to the West Brom match with c30% centrally and 70% on flanks; far more balanced than 70% central when I played two AMC's  with Hazard in TQ role.

AManCityPostMatchFocus.JPG

Match stats not as good as West Brom game but we were playing Man City.  57% possession, 13 shots (only 4 on target) but 2 goals with average team rating of 7.38 - solid enough. Man City attacking threat was well dealt with by our defence and they only had 1 "clear cut" chance. Interesting to see that the Post Match Passing Network analysis was very similar to West Brom match.

AManCityPostMatchOverall.JPG

AManCityMatchStats.JPG

AManCityPlayerStats.JPG

AManCityPostMatchPasses.JPG

The heat map for Hazard against Man City (AP/Attack) clearly shows him cutting in/drifting/roaming centrally)

AManCityHazardHeat.JPG

In previous versions of FM my "go to" tactic for Chelsea (always my main save) has been 4-2-3-1. For FM17 I will have a 4-2-3-1 in my back pocket, but am currently planning on using and developing the 3-4-3 above.

I am playing full blown FM beta, not Touch, so my team is not completely fluid in the tactic used v West Brom & Man City: Awkward for Creative Freedom, Accomplished for Formation and Fluid in all other areas. Hopefully team performances can only improve when completely fluid in all areas.

Looking forward to release of full game on Friday!

Hopefully the various screenshots are of interest to bucket.

They're great thanks mate. Appreciate that. Never really used or looked at the heat maps etc, but they are looking sharp. Will order the game this evening. But won't play until Sunday at earliest. Friday night I find out if I'm going to have a son or another daughter!! 

But loving the updates. 

57 minutes ago, bucket said:

They're great thanks mate. Appreciate that. Never really used or looked at the heat maps etc, but they are looking sharp. Will order the game this evening. But won't play until Sunday at earliest. Friday night I find out if I'm going to have a son or another daughter!! 

But loving the updates. 

Beta good overall from my perspective despite various bugs that will, hopefully be fixed on Friday! Graphics seem better this year. Hope that Friday goes smoothly with no complications - enjoy FM17 when you get around to playing and update us on developments.

25 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

Beta good overall from my perspective despite various bugs that will, hopefully be fixed on Friday! Graphics seem better this year. Hope that Friday goes smoothly with no complications - enjoy FM17 when you get around to playing and update us on developments.

I enjoyed FM16 and people's opinions are that this is a more polished version of that. So I'll be quite chuffed with that and will deffo update here when I do get started! It was far too quiet for FM16. 

Anyone know whose doing the Offical Chelsea thread this year?

7 hours ago, bucket said:

I enjoyed FM16 and people's opinions are that this is a more polished version of that. So I'll be quite chuffed with that and will deffo update here when I do get started! It was far too quiet for FM16. 

Anyone know whose doing the Offical Chelsea thread this year?

Congrats on the coming addition to your family, bucket! This year's version does feel a bit like a nicely polished FM16 and they've added a few features that really add to the experience of managing, however, the match engine has been frustrating for me so far. Things seem a bit off like the amount of successful tackles made, players frequently going to ground, and there's still a few weird offside calls and "oops" crosses that almost go into goal. All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I'm sure they'll fix most of these things relatively quickly.

I'd like to give someone else the opportunity to create this year's thread. I enjoyed doing it the past couple of years, but it'd be fun to see someone else's take on it.

I check every day to see if there's a FM17 thread!

On the beta I started with zero transfers for first window.   I have started the preseason and the first half of the season with a 5-2-3 and variants.   I tried retraining Moses to WBR and Azpilicueta to DCL but Moses received a broken leg in my last preseason match, Dasilva and Aina were both loaned out by Emenalo which left me Charlie Wakefield backing up Azpi.   Starting Alonso as the WBL.  Willian also received a long term injury, out for 8 months so my team looks like this:

GK-Courtois

WBR - Azpilicueta/Wakefield - WBR-S

CDR - Ivanovic/Terry - CD-C

CD - Luiz/Chalobah - BPD-S

CDL - Cahill - CD-C

WBL - Alonso - CWB-S

MCR - Kante/Mikel BBM-S

MCL - Matic/Fabregas DLP-D

AML - Pedro - RMD-A

AMR - Hazard - IF-A

STC - Costa/Batshuyai - DF-S

Willian, Oscar, Moses, Van Ginkel, Zouma, RLC, Begovic all on long term injuries and Emenalo keeps loaning out players.   First year Bruce Buck has pretty much allowed me to choose my own tactics, but they've left me with no other responsibilities.   That'll change in year 2!

Preseason was a disaster with all the injuries, the squad still hasn't learned much of my tactics and we limped into the first game of the season against Bournemouth.  After a 3-1 drubbing, I was already looking over my shoulder.   A couple of wins against lower table opposition had prospects looking up until a 1-0 in extra time against Burton in the EFL Cup has me on the lookout for the knives again.   The winter transfer window can't come soon enough.   I've got scouts looking at Romagnali, Rugani, Sule, Luan, Lincoln and Belotti.   Hopefully, I last until the start of the winter window.   

34 minutes ago, bucket said:

What do the board limit your responsibilities now then or can you still set them as FM16?

You still set them via the 'responsibilities' tab.   The first year, about all I'm responsible for is team training and finalizing signings.   Everything else is either handled by the DOF, Maria, HOYD, Ass Man, U-23/U-18 Manager or Chief Scout.  

34 minutes ago, nexting said:

Ended up winning the EPL, EFL Cup and FA Cup. Costa got 31 goals and Hazard got 19. Ive signed Thiago Maia, Daniela Rugani, Alban Lafont and Saido Berahino for the second season.

Good job. What tactics did you use. A 3 at the back formation  or 4-2-3-1 or something else. Screenshot/roles duties info etc would be appreciated.

Great to see that Daves position to include accomplished at CB & Victor Moses is now accomplished as a wing back in the update of the full game. Time to start my official save. Is there anyway to change the title of this thread to 2017 and just making slight updates to the squad?  

15 hours ago, Natedog17 said:

Great to see that Daves position to include accomplished at CB & Victor Moses is now accomplished as a wing back in the update of the full game. Time to start my official save. Is there anyway to change the title of this thread to 2017 and just making slight updates to the squad?  

Only just started my main save having spent most of yesterday setting up the custom views again. Nearly all the ones I set up in beta were rendered useless and disappeared on release of full game. Lots of frustrated users on bugs forums.....Had not noticed Dave or Victor updates until i saw your post - good news. Surprised that info only says that Dave "prefers to be on the right in a two man pairing" with no mention of being on the right 3 man defence position that he is currently playing in. Back room staff sorted to improve coaching starts and Thiago Maia, Michael Keane signed for less than I managed on beta. In beta I picked up Danilo (DR/WBR) for c £8.5m on wages of circa £135k pw. He wanted £215kpw in full game version.......no way...I need to look elsewhere or stick with Victor as "cover" for Dave......thanks again for the info...enjoy your save.

Can anyone say what the potential ratings for our youngsters are? I'm mostly curious about Loftus-Cheek, N Chalobah, Lewis Baker, Izzy Brown, Dom Solanke and Tammy Abraham. We typically get players underrated compared to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like, for whom even a glimpse of potential seems to ensure a -9 upwards. I'd be interested if Chalobah, Baker and Abraham's increasingly confident showings are pushing their potential upwards, where RLC, Solanke and to a lesser extent Brown have comparatively stalled for various reasons (although Solanke was always rated low).

29 minutes ago, shanyi said:

Can anyone say what the potential ratings for our youngsters are? I'm mostly curious about Loftus-Cheek, N Chalobah, Lewis Baker, Izzy Brown, Dom Solanke and Tammy Abraham. We typically get players underrated compared to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and the like, for whom even a glimpse of potential seems to ensure a -9 upwards. I'd be interested if Chalobah, Baker and Abraham's increasingly confident showings are pushing their potential upwards, where RLC, Solanke and to a lesser extent Brown have comparatively stalled for various reasons (although Solanke was always rated low).

For anybody posting, please use spoiler tags though!

I don't know their potential but 5 seasons in only Chalobah, Solanke and Abraham have gone on to play top flight football - none of them for me i might add, apart from Abraham being my 3rd striker for a year. Loftus-Cheek was the most disapointing, literally didn't seem to develop at all, his contract expired and he was still only Championship quality at 25. 

8 minutes ago, JackJCFC said:

Just had CIty bid £108 million for my striker who came from the academy. They just finished 8th, i've just won my third title in a row and he wants to leave! What a muppet. 

Wow, I don't know what the player looks like, but with an offer like that I'd have a hard time saying no!

Let him leave for his new paycheck, I mean challenge!

So the aim is on.. FINALLY started a game after dealing with the graphics and fixes etc. Got my first job at Boston, the aim is to take over Chelsea at some stage. Will keep posting on here as I'm sure i'll start a save with the mighty blues also.

JackJCFC any chance of seeing this player?

Lets try and keep this thread more active then last year!! 

1 hour ago, bucket said:

So the aim is on.. FINALLY started a game after dealing with the graphics and fixes etc. Got my first job at Boston, the aim is to take over Chelsea at some stage. Will keep posting on here as I'm sure i'll start a save with the mighty blues also.

JackJCFC any chance of seeing this player?

Lets try and keep this thread more active then last year!! 

This is the guy, i didn't sell him in the end. Nothing better than having a world class youth from your academy, i'm hoping he might one day break Lampards records.

Archived