FM 16 Unlikely Champions

I am currently about to finish my first season in the EPL as Arsenal, it came to my suprise that Swansea is sitting top of the table and is about to lift the freaking Premier League crown. I first thought they were on a lucky run and would drop points after new years, but no! Credits to Jonjo Shelvey and Gylfi Sigurdsson tho, almost 8.00 average ratings for those two.

I thought I could open a thread for people who experience "unlikely champions" in their saves.

I had a similar problem playing as juventus and lazio won the league. Lazio lost only 2 games the whole season and one of them was to me. Sure i was surprised, Yes i am surprised Leicester city is flying high in the EPL. Let's not forget last world cup was tougher for popular nations to win. The lowbie nations are catching up which is what many fail to see every 4 years. People are complaining theres not enough english talent which i disagree with that. E.g. Vardy. He was picked up from a non league team back in the day.

Mmmmmm could be the scouting department in real life. Aston Villa gave Man City a run for their money lately, if you noticed Man City drilling Sevilla away. Differences ??? EPL very tough competition VERY let alone how tough is the Div 1 championship. The gap between the likes of Messi/Ronaldo are closing from the avg player. Academy's are setup for a reason. Football is changing and the colors and the team you follow will not gurantee you a consistent dollar price on the stock market. Again you are forgetting the class of 92 when fergi won the euro with kids.

Switzerland battled Turkey in the final of Euro 2016 on my save, with the Swiss winning on penalties after a 2-2 draw. England and Holland put out in the Semi-finals.

Come to think of it, the first tournament in a new edition always throws up some weird results.

I just simmed a few seasons to test out a database I'm creating, and Croatia won the World Cup, beating Switzerland in the final(!!). But hey, Greece won EURO 2004 IRL, so yeah:

FM results is largely based on probabilities = realism.

Exactly! No matter how small, there is always a chance of the unexpected. If you play the first season over and over again, once in a while an odd team will win the title. Doesn't take anything away from FM in my book, in fact quite the contrary...

Switzerland battled Turkey in the final of Euro 2016 on my save, with the Swiss winning on penalties after a 2-2 draw. England and Holland put out in the Semi-finals.

Come to think of it, the first tournament in a new edition always throws up some weird results.

England in the semis totally unrealistic

England in the semis totally unrealistic

Of a Euros where they could get a "lucky loser" in the 1st knockout round? Not really.

In what is essentially a seven game tournament, anything can happen. When you don't have every little real world foible of the England team built into FM, it's very possible that they'd reach the latter stages.

It was unrealistic that Greece won Euro 2004, or that Ghana and, you could argue, Uruguay did so well in 2010. Or that Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in a semi-final. I could go on, but international tournaments do throw up surprises due to their condensed nature.

Yeah. They've got to the quarters in four of their last seven major tournaments. Is one step further particularly unrealistic?

It's not unrealistic for Arsenal to win the Prem, but in my first season (I wasn't managing in England), they got 98 points! :eek: And won the Champions League, beating Real Madrid 9-3 on aggregate along the way. Unsurprisingly Wenger seemed to decide he wouldn't be able to top that, so retired. :lol:

Of a Euros where they could get a "lucky loser" in the 1st knockout round? Not really.

In what is essentially a seven game tournament, anything can happen. When you don't have every little real world foible of the England team built into FM, it's very possible that they'd reach the latter stages.

It was unrealistic that Greece won Euro 2004, or that Ghana and, you could argue, Uruguay did so well in 2010. Or that Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in a semi-final. I could go on, but international tournaments do throw up surprises due to their condensed nature.

Iraq winning the 2007 Asian Cup.

Iraq winning the 2007 Asian Cup isn't similar to Greece really.

They also came 4th in 2015 and 1960's, and have a history of being in the top 10 in the Asian region (currently sat 11th out of 46). Sure they weren't dead certains, but neither is it comparable to Greece winning in 2004!

I'm gonna say that if any of the teams have a playing style that exploits any of the weaknesses in defending, they become more likely to over achieve.

Managers should really have more power in this game.It would be interesting to have Pep managing Norwich and being able to get good results simply because he knew how to exploit opposition weaknessess.

They also came 4th in 2015 and 1960's, and have a history of being in the top 10 in the Asian region (currently sat 11th out of 46). Sure they weren't dead certains, but neither is it comparable to Greece winning in 2004!

Iraq's football history prior to the 2007 World Cup:

World Cup: One appearance, 1986

Asian Cup: Knocked out in the quarter finals last 3 times didn't compete 1980-92.

4th place in the Asian Cup only means they've made it out of the group stage and won one game. They weren't particularly fancied and it was a huge shock at the time.

Asian Cup: Knocked out in the quarter finals last 3 times didn't compete 1980-92.

4th place in the Asian Cup only means they've made it out of the group stage and won one game. They weren't particularly fancied and it was a huge shock at the time.

"Sure they weren't dead certains, but neither is it comparable to Greece winning in 2004!"

You haven't really moved the conversation on at all. You have just confirmed that, they undoubtedly weren't dead certs but neither is it on the scale of Greece.

You haven't really moved the conversation on at all. You have just confirmed that, they undoubtedly weren't dead certs but neither is it on the scale of Greece.

P.S Quarter Final of a World Cup is just making it out the group and winning one game- bit of a straw man argument

I dont like seeing stuff like that for a game that prides itself on realism

Pfft, realism has Leicester top of the PL after 13 games. I'll buy Swansea as Champions long before I believe that could happen.

P.S Quarter Final of a World Cup is just making it out the group and winning one game- bit of a straw man argument

They were at the time (and still now to an extent) seen as miles behind the big sides of Asia, them being Iran, Australia, Japan and Korea. They were at the time somewhere around 80-90 in the World rankings, behind the likes of Oman, Kita Chosen and Qatar. They had been knocked out of the 2006 World Cup qualifiers in the first round they played in (Second Round), and it was a shock at the time.

Maybe Greece were a bigger shock to some, but Iraq was definitely a massive shock at the time, particularly with the political situation at the time.

Stuttgart, Werder Bremen, Wolfsburg, Kaiserslautern in Germany, FC Twente, AZ in Holland, Montpellier in France, Deportivo in Spain, Boavista in Portugal.

All within the last 5-25 years.

That's the thing isn't it. Such things could happen, and it's better that they're possible than entirely ruled out. If the game has 100,000 players that have finished a season, are people really saying that there's really less than a 1-100,000 chance of Koln or Hertha winning the title in Germany in a few seasons. As long as it's not a regular thing to happen I don't see the issue.

Who'd have thunk that Chelsea would be "battling relegation" and Leicester would be top of the league???

These things happen in real life.

Although, Swansea lifting the title - 1500/1 at the moment.

I find it hard to swallow in the First season that an unpredictable team wins the league.

However, as the seasons roll on - then it's anyone's game.

This is just evidence that ME is unbalanced. This is absolutely super unrealistic. I don't care what anybody says in defence to this but come on.

Same goes on for Swansea winning PL.

How - it's in the future - nobody can predict the future.

2.5 years on who's to know what will happen.

They came 3rd in 2011 too - that's no fault of the ME.

This is just evidence that ME is unbalanced. This is absolutely super unrealistic. I don't care what anybody says in defence to this but come on.

Same goes on for Swansea winning PL.

So Bayern/Juventus/Chelsea winning it 10 times in a row is realistic?

Who'd have thunk that Chelsea would be "battling relegation" and Leicester would be top of the league???

These things happen in real life.

Although, Swansea lifting the title - 1500/1 at the moment.

I find it hard to swallow in the First season that an unpredictable team wins the league.

However, as the seasons roll on - then it's anyone's game.

Well, there's about 1 million sales for most football manager games, so you'd expect to see it for around 667 players.

in any case more realistic than hertha berlin lifting the trophy in the game's second season.

Actually, you are factually wrong.

Hertha have not lifted the Bundesliga since 1931, so I accept it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. But it has happened. In England, only two clubs (Huddersfield Town & Manchester United), have ever won the league title three years running. No one has done so four years on the trot. In Germany, the most is also three times. In Italy it is five years running.

So Hertha is far more likely to win their league title than any side winning their league ten years running.

Realism lol Leicester is on top in real life so why not Swansea

We'll se where Leicester will be in 3 months time. I'd say somewhere in the bottom half of the table.

Actually, you are factually wrong.

Hertha have not lifted the Bundesliga since 1931, so I accept it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. But it has happened. In England, only two clubs (Huddersfield Town & Manchester United), have ever won the league title three years running. No one has done so four years on the trot. In Germany, the most is also three times. In Italy it is five years running.

So Hertha is far more likely to win their league title than any side winning their league ten years running.

When you check Hertha's squad in the game, it will become clear to you that winning the title in the second season is very very unrealistic.

As far as yout other examples, on my games I've only seen Juve dominating like that, to win over and over again. I didn't really see likes of Hertha winning the league although to be fair. And anyway, would you bet your money on Juve lifting the league 5 times in a row, or Hertha winning one time in the same time span? Which is more likely to happen?

I just simmed a few seasons to test out a database I'm creating, and Croatia won the World Cup, beating Switzerland in the final(!!). But hey, Greece won EURO 2004 IRL, so yeah:

Exactly! No matter how small, there is always a chance of the unexpected. If you play the first season over and over again, once in a while an odd team will win the title. Doesn't take anything away from FM in my book, in fact quite the contrary...

Montpellier won Ligue 1 in 11/12, up against a big spending PSG.

Aberdeen won the European Cup in 82/32, beating Real Madrid in the final.

Bournemouth won the Championship last season, which if you'd said in July 2014 people would have thought you were joking.

Just a few "unlikely" champions of the top of my head from the real world.

As dllu said, if you play many times the unexpected will always come up at least once. How boring a game would it be (in both real life and on a computer) if results always went as people would expect them to.

Archived