FM16: Does the AI still resort to ultra defensive football after the first season?

Just wondering before I pick FM16 up. In all editions all the teams line up defensively after the first season, and once you win everything even teams that are stronger on paper don't bother to attack me, which makes it really boring to play past 2-3 seasons.

I have found this.

Every team I play against plays as defensively as possible. Pumps long balls that I always intercept.

Even though I win game after game against such tactics, next team plays as defensively as possible.

Self fulfilling prophecy ?

What do you mean, "after the first season"? They already started playing a DW/D - CM/D - DLP/D - DW/D midfield line in december in my save.

I mean even supposedly good teams, like top 8 or so. And generally you don't see the dreaded 3-3-2-1-1 regularly till the 2nd season.

I have found this.

Every team I play against plays as defensively as possible. Pumps long balls that I always intercept.

Even though I win game after game against such tactics, next team plays as defensively as possible.

Self fulfilling prophecy ?

In FM16? I was hoping they'll create an adaptive AI eventually, or at least still have some teams attempting to play adventurous.

Would also like the AI managers to have a personality. Have wanted this for a long time where we can distinctly see playing styles and particular transfer policies for managers. Still don't really see this at all and is all but disappears later into a career.

FM16 "Match Report" Laventa (AI) vs Barcelone (Me)

They start out with a 3 CD's 2 WB and 2 Strikers, they create some ugly chances, one that should really have been a goal in the first minute of the game.

I'm having a bad game, my players run straight through the defense, but no one score in those situations, luckily one of my MC's score two long shots (One considered a own goal though, hit the guy standing inside the goal at the post), for some reason my DL and one of my MC's get switched, think because I configured the MC as set piece taker, luckily I notice it quick. After a while Javier jumps and misses the ball when we defend a free kick, the ball continues on to an unmarked Levante player that scores.

Game is still ugly at least for me as manager and we continue the 1-2 stalemate at the end of the second half the switch to attacking, I go to my most defensive (Counter 4-1-2-3 DM Wide) setup and actually seem to turn the game around, looking mostly like I'm solidly in control until the end whistle.

I'm on a 30 match or so unbeaten run, lost one game in the league at the start to Malaga. Actually beat Levante 3 times due to meeting them in the cup just before this match and they still didn't seem all that defensive out of the box and they went attacking when they where only one goal down.

It was a rest the best player for the next knockout Champions Cup match game, but they should have done a lot better, no complacency reported, even after being ahead two goals, actually had positive motivation on a few players.

So they didn't go ultra defensive, they actually tried to win at first, then tried to draw at the end.

Work goes on every year with AI Role / Duty allocation. This year at a database level there have been changes to some manager preferences which directly influence match days. Furthermore, the way the AI switches Mentality has also been tweaked. It's more complicated than just "going defensive", and the efficiency of countering now is such that it will be hard on occasions to break teams down (especially when some defensive bugs are worked on). More difficulty is a good thing.

Work goes on every year with AI Role / Duty allocation. This year at a database level there have been changes to some manager preferences which directly influence match days. Furthermore, the way the AI switches Mentality has also been tweaked. It's more complicated than just "going defensive", and the efficiency of countering now is such that it will be hard on occasions to break teams down (especially when some defensive bugs are worked on). More difficulty is a good thing.

That's good to hear. So will be there be managers who are stubborn on implementing a style regardless of opposition, for example short passing like Laudrup and Wenger?

That's good to hear. So will be there be managers who are stubborn on implementing a style regardless of opposition, for example short passing like Laudrup and Wenger?

To be honest, that isn't something has changed, because it was already the case.