Tomtuck's Third FM Career Adventure - João Pedro #DareToManage

tomtuck01

Blimey. Any insecure jobs that look attractive?

A few at some pretty big clubs, (Fenerbahce, Galatasary and Porto being the standouts, and Lyon have just sacked their manager), but none of them look like being in the Champions League. (Lyon aren't, they've already missed out).

I would stay, but no manager worth their salt would take a contract at their current club on a lower wage after the season we've had. :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Career%20Save%20-%20Joao%20Could%20Leave%20Sociedad%20-%20Apr%202016_zpszelssdjj.png

Well this is looking more and more likely. I won't budge in my deomand for just a one year contract, and because of that the baord won't pay me more than £8,000 p/w, which is less than I am on now (£11,500 p/w).

It's looking like I'll be off, whether I deliver Champions League football or not.

Would they offer you higher wages for a longer contract? You could still leave after a year if you wanted to.

A few at some pretty big clubs, (Fenerbahce, Galatasary and Porto being the standouts, and Lyon have just sacked their manager), but none of them look like being in the Champions League. (Lyon aren't, they've already missed out).

I would stay, but no manager worth their salt would take a contract at their current club on a lower wage after the season we've had. :D

Fenerbahce sound fun

Real_Sociedad_logo.svg

João Pedro's Management Career - May 2016 - Real Sociedad

La Liga

Career%20Save%20-%20Sociedad%20Lge%20Fixtures%20-%20May%202016_zpspxsjekll.png

Career%20Save%20-%20Sociedad%20Lge%20Table%20-%20May%202016_zpshnd9hsrh.png

What a couple of performances to manage to finish third in the table!

When Rayo Vallecano came to The Anoeta we knew is was basically a must win game with us facing a very tricky fixture away at Valencia on the last day, so there was a bit of pressure on us. However, you'd not have known it as we took them apart in style, especially in the second half. Jonathas gave us the lead early on, and then in a six minute spell in the second period we cut through them as Jonathas added a second, an own goal was scored and Asier Illarramendi thundered home from a corner. Jonathas scored from the spot to complete his hattrick to make it 5-0 later in the day as we put ourselves in a great position going into the Valencia match. Going into the game at the Mestalla we knew a draw could be enough to secure a top four place, but not definitely. With that in mind we had to go to try and win. The first half was a cagey affair, with possession shared fairly evenly and chances at a premium. We got off to a great start in the second half though, with Jonathas tapping home after Mauro Zárate's effort was blocked on the line. From then on we sat in deep and countered when Valencia came forward, and with nine minutes to go we wrapped the game up as Julain Brandt's cross was bundled home by the Valencia rightback.

Third!!! Automatic Champions League place!!! Brilliant!!!

Fantastic achievement! :cool:

Thanks alot. I really was surprised at the level of performance.

Great work, it'll be interesting if you stayed and we see how you do in the CL.

Definitely so, but I must be honest, it's really not looking likely.

Real_Sociedad_logo.svg

João Pedro's Management Career - Season Review 2015/16 - Real Sociedad

La Liga

Results 1 - Results 2

Final Table (3rd - Champions League Qualification)

Well this was massively unexpected and I'm just delighted. Throughout the campaign we were resolute at the back, epecially in the first half of the season as we conceded just eight goals in nineteen games. Come the second half of the season we were a little bit more inconsistent with our results, but we managed to keep pace with the other sides in the top six and in the end we did enough to secure a top three place and automatic Champions League qualification.

So much more than I ever expected.

Copa del Rey

Eliminated in Semi Finals

A great run in the competition, but in the end we were knocked out in the semi's after a couple of very poor displays against Villarreal. To knock out Valencia the way we did was very special though, and gave me alot of confidence in what the team could achieve. Maybe a step further next time?

Villarreal went on two win the competition, surpringly beating Atletico 1-0 in the final.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Transfers - Finances

Not many used, just twenty-two on this image, (of the two players who left in January one made six appearances and the other zero), and two of those only made two start and two apps between them. That will need to be addressed in the summer with the team qualifying for the Champions League, but I was very pleased overall with how the squad performed. I was especially pleased with Bruma who came up with some crucial moments once he started starting games in the second half of the campaign.

A good year in the trasnfer market as we brought in over £10million in fee's and spent just short of £3million on two deals. Bigger investment will be needed next term heading into the Champions League campaign though.

Financially we had a bad year, with the balance dropping from just short f £18million to less than £3million. It was to be expected though really as we weren't in Europe, have a 32,000 seater stadium that we don't sell-out every week, and a reasonably sized wage bill that is now over £500,000 p/w after the signing of Mauro Zárate, (he's our highest paid player), and a couple of new contracts being handed out. Things will pick up now with us being in the Champions League.

Top 3 Players

Carlos Vela

Not the most goals, but the top assister. He overall cotribution to our efforts this season were fantastic, not in numbers but in how h played; always looking to get in behind the defence, run at people, and be a major part of our counter attacks. A valued and high-level performer.

Jonathas

He didn't start the season well, but after a tactical change or two he was super. Not exactly part of the style of short passing football we play, but just an out-and-out brute upfront who just bullies defenders into submission. More of the same please!

Gerónimo Rulli

Outstanding season indeed, and he, combined with a generally settled back four, were a massive part of our success this campaign. Very pleasing.

What Next

Not at all sre given my cotract situation. We'll see, but right now it's looking more likely that I'll leave the club as both me and the board are being very stubborn about certain aspects of the contract.

Career%20Save%20-%20Sociedad%20Unhappy%20With%20Pedro%20-%20Jun%202016_zps1mvc90xw.png

So Manchester United finished fifth in the Premier League, won the Europa League, and still sacked Louis van Gaal. I was linked, said I couldn't rule it out, and the board were annoyed. I didn't even apply, and in the end they gave the job to Roberto Mancini anyway.

Crazy world we live in.

Career%20Save%20-%20Joao%20Arsenal%20Link%20-%20Jun%202016_zpsufkigyqk.png

Very interesting. They finished fourth last term so they are in the Champions League playoff round. But can João really manage Arsenal after his spell at Spurs in his playing days?

Yes, he'll need something to wash the taste of scum out of his mouth

Yes, he'll need something to wash the taste of scum out of his mouth ��

In all honesty I think it's too big too soon. It's June 28th and talks with Sociedad just broke down again...might wait until after the end if the Euro's and see what manager movements happen. The Portuguese and Turkish leagues are appearling most.

Real_Sociedad_logo.svg

João Pedro's Management Career - Season Preview - 2016/17 - Real Sociedad

Board Expectations

La Liga - Top half finish

Copa del Rey - Reach Quarter Finals

Champions League - Enjoy the experience

Personal Expectations

La Liga - European Qualification

Copa del Rey - Agree with the board

Champions League - Depends what group we get!

Not sure how to react the boards expectations, or lack of. Is it good that they are fairly conservative thus putting little pressure on me, or bad that they are showing a bit of a lack of ambition? Can't honestly say it concerns me that much, as it won't effect how I do things and my own personal ambitions.

Budgets

Balance: £53,294,164 (+£35,355,669)

Transfer: £20,892,955

Wages: £726,475 p/w (Currently spending £584,874)

The transfer budget would have been far greater, but it is July and the transfer window has been open some nine days meaning a fair bit of business has been done already. More on that later on. The wage budget is terrific, but it's quite alarming to see how much our spend has exploded since I first took over!

Announcement

Well I've got a good few updates to post now, but unfortunately they will have to wait a while as I'm going on holiday first thing on Friday morning and won't have any time to get things posted up tomorrow after work.

I'm back on the 19th, (a week on Saturday to those of you who can't figure it out), so expect updates to start again come Sunday 20th/Monday 21st.

Just caught up with your first season. Utterly outstanding achievement, the most impressive thing is you only lost 4 matches in the league!! I was scrolling down incredulous that you wouldn't sign a new contract purely on the contract length, glad common sense prevailed. :D

Great achievement in the league, Tom! Never expected that! Glad you signed a new contract! Enjoy the holiday and look forward to the updates when you're back.

Thanks alot buddy.

Great read, looking forward to more updates. Enjoy the holiday :)

Cheers. Don;t worry, they will start again soon enough.

Just caught up with your first season. Utterly outstanding achievement, the most impressive thing is you only lost 4 matches in the league!! I was scrolling down incredulous that you wouldn't sign a new contract purely on the contract length, glad common sense prevailed. :D

Well I had to stand my ground as long as possible! Can't just be backed into a corner!

No no no no no. Just no! :herman:

It's what I thought in the end - neither side of North London would be pleased with the appointment! :D

Great 1st season but what the hell have Villarreal got on you? :lol: (1 goal scored against them in 4 games).

Haha I really don't know! Started to get to me, that's for sure!

Real_Sociedad_logo.svg

João Pedro's Management Career - Preseason 2016/17 - Real Sociedad

Transfers Out

Career%20Save%20-%20Preseason%20Transfers%20Out%20-%202016-17_zpsuorprcsv.png

Total - £72.45million

Ridiculously busy summer with many players leaving and alot of money raised. Ion Ansotegi was no longer really good enough to be part of my plans, and despite him being a club legend it was time he moved on. Defender Iñigo Martínez expressed an interest to leave despite us qualifying for the Champions League, and Real Madrid came in with the biggest offer, which was just short of his release clause. Alfreð Finnbogason was out on loan at Olympiakos last season, and although they didn't meet the agreed fee, £2.5million was more than enough. Striker Imanol Agirretxe didn't have many chances last season, starting just seven games all season and making nine sub appearances. He asked to leave, and we got as much as he could for him. The other really big sale was that of Carlos Vela who left for Juventus for just £2.5million short of his buyout clause. Like Martínez he wanted to go to a bigger club even after we qualified for Europes premier competition. Good luck to him. Both Alain Oyarzun (we get 50% of the profit on his next move) and Gonzalo Castro were no longer needed, with the former not showing nough development and the latter just not required anymore. Iker Hernandez did well out on loan last season, but was never going to be good enough for our first team. The low fee as all we could get. Letting Mauro Zárate leave was a tough decision, but he was on decent wages and wasn't guaranteed to be starting with the signings we have made. The three other players to leave for fee's were Jon Gaztañaga, David Concha and Pablo Hervías, who had all been out on loan last season but wre let go so I could raise funds for improvements. I guess I would have actually liked to have kept all three, but I couldn't justify keeping them over other players we were in for. The loan of note was that of Fede, who is a new signing.

Transfers In

Daniel Didavi - Free - VFB Stuttgart

Signed on a pre-contract agreement back in Janauary, and although he's a good player I have no idea where I'm going to fit him in with some of the other signings I have made. Ooops.

Diego Reyes - £5.5million - Porto

Did well for us while on loan last season, but it at centreback or holding midfield. The fee was slightly more that I would have wanted to pay, (also a 15% of profit clause), but the wages are low and he's a young player who can still improve a bit, especially mentally.

Malcom - £14million - Corinthians

Thrilled with this signing, a real coup for the club. He's only 19 years old and has so much time to get even better. It may take him some time to adjust, but I'm sure he'll come good very soon. £14million- plenty of which is being paid over 36 months - will I'm sure prove to be an absolute snip!

Joël Veltman - £7.25million - Ajax

Replacement for Iñigo Martínez, and a very good one for the price. I'm not going to pretend he's as good as Martínez, but he's a more than capable replacement for the forseeable future.

Fede - £1million - Racing Santander

Found by my director of football, and he's a very sound young player. If he improves a couple of areas, composure especially, but he has all the makings of a very good defensive midfielder.

Sandro - Loan - Barcelona

Very pleased with this signing as his offers an alternative to my other main striker Jonathas. No loan fee involved, but paying 90% of his wages at Barca. We haven't got an agreed transfer fee in place, but I'll probbaly explore the possibility of signing him permanently.

Ignacio Camacho - £11.5million - Malaga

A hugel significant signing, considering both Valencia and Benfica were also chasing him. Yes it's a sizeable fee and he's our highest paid player by some £20,000 p/w, but what a stellar player. A mark of how far we have come in just a year.

Ante Ćorić - £13million - Dinamo Zagreb

Like with Malcom, a very big fee for a teenager, but again there is huge potential there. He's certainly ready to come straight into the team, and I look forward to aiding and watching his development.

Riyad Mahrez - £9million - Leicester City

A really super player, though a slightly high fee given Leicester's relegation at the end of last season. Still, delighted to bring in a player of real skill into the side. Hopefully he can bring goals and assists from a similar position to Carlos Vela last term.

Cristian Tello - Loan (£45k p/m fee - Barcelona

Signed on transfer deadline day, (ok, so not tecnically "preseason"!), he's a bit of a wildcard really. His speed and off the ball movement were what persuaded me to bring him in, and the fact he can play both left and right is also a plus point.

Total - £61.7million

A big outlay, but we still made a profit over the course of the window.

Preseason Friendlies

Career%20Save%20-%20Preseason%20Friendlies%20-%202016-17_zpsvyovgwot.png

Only five preseason games, as we played three games over in Asia and then two testimonial matches back on our home ground.

The lack of matches was due to the fact that with so many players coming and going it was unlikely we'd have really benefited in terms of tactical familiarity with plenty of games. The games we did have were a bit of a shambles, and we head into our opening La Liga games a little bit under-cooked.

Some big signings there! I've tried to get Malcolm, but no joy so far. It would also mean blowing my entire budget on him when I need to strengthen so many other areas.

Looking forward to this season!

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and slap a load of money down!

Quite a wild transfer period there.

It kind of had to be with me losing a couple of massive players in Iñigo Martínez and Carlos Vela. Also players on loan, Bruma and Julian Brandt, returned to their parent clubs with us unable to sort deals for them, meaning we had a few gaps in the squad. We also had to expand the squad with us being in Europe this season.

What an awesome transfer period for you. :thup:

Should be a fun side to watch.

Ha with my tactics? Did you not noticd all the 1-0's last season?! :D

Champions League Group Stage Draw - 2016/17

Well we were amongt the bottom seeds, so I was expecting a very tough draw. Some massive sides are amongst the second seeds because of how the first seeds are picked now, including the English trio of Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs. But then even amongt the third seeds there are some terrific sides aswell; Bayer Leverkusen, Napoli and Tottenham. Scary stuff for lowly fourth seeds like ourselves!

Career%20Save%20-%20CL%20Grp%20Draw%20-%202016-17_zpshtorebad.png

Not anything like as bad a draw as we could have had. The top seeds, Sporting Lisbon, are one of the two weakest sides from the first pot we culd have drawn. Obviously Manchester United is a dreadful side to draw, but Dynamo Kyiv offer us two very winnable fixtures.

Martinez and Vela will be missed, but you've done some fantastic signings to replace them. I expect nothing less than to continue at the level you've played at last season, and I think you've got the ability to qualify out of the Champions League group as well.

Archived