FM16 United States League Structure

tariq13

Every time a new Football Manager comes out I end up spending the whole first day creating the USA league structure. This year I really want to get as realistic as possible, so I figured I'd try here to see if anyone has suggestions for some problems.

The biggest problem is the NASL. The NASL has two seasons, a Spring and Fall season. At the end of the Spring Season, the league table resets and everyone plays again. At the end of the Fall Season there are playoffs consisting of 4 teams: the winner of the Spring Season, the winner of the Fall season, and then the best 2 teams in the overall league table. In the past I've always just created the NASL as a single league that never resets and the top 4 teams play a playoff. This year I would really like to create the Spring and Fall season. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

The problem with doing this as League Split (and correct me if I'm wrong because I still don't really get the whole League Split thing) is that when the league splits, the top teams only play each other and the bottom teams only play each other. The NASL has all the teams play each other after the "split".

I noticed this year's FM includes two leagues called "NASL Spring Season" and "NASL Fall Season" but they're just inactive leagues that you can't add to the Nation Rules.

Any ideas?

Every time a new Football Manager comes out I end up spending the whole first day creating the USA league structure. This year I really want to get as realistic as possible, so I figured I'd try here to see if anyone has suggestions for some problems.

The biggest problem is the NASL. The NASL has two seasons, a Spring and Fall season. At the end of the Spring Season, the league table resets and everyone plays again. At the end of the Fall Season there are playoffs consisting of 4 teams: the winner of the Spring Season, the winner of the Fall season, and then the best 2 teams in the overall league table. In the past I've always just created the NASL as a single league that never resets and the top 4 teams play a playoff. This year I would really like to create the Spring and Fall season. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

The problem with doing this as League Split (and correct me if I'm wrong because I still don't really get the whole League Split thing) is that when the league splits, the top teams only play each other and the bottom teams only play each other. The NASL has all the teams play each other after the "split".

I noticed this year's FM includes two leagues called "NASL Spring Season" and "NASL Fall Season" but they're just inactive leagues that you can't add to the Nation Rules.

Any ideas?

I was wondering this also and will add:

How do we award trophy" to show up in history to season winner in addition to playoff champion? As of now regular season winner is not recognized in club history as wininng , only the playoff champion does.

I did use the media guide. I have all the league rules. My question is more about how to make FM work with NASL's rules. How can I create a league with a sort of "split" where the only thing that happens is the league table resets?

I'm pretty sure you can create it as a multi-stage competition with two league stages and then a playoff, you may need a hidden 3rd league stage where the full season results are kept if you plan on having the top two non-stage winners in the playoff (over the course of the whole season).

I'm pretty sure you can create it as a multi-stage competition with two league stages and then a playoff, you may need a hidden 3rd league stage where the full season results are kept if you plan on having the top two non-stage winners in the playoff (over the course of the whole season).

How do I do that? When creating a league, the only options for league types are a league, groups, or a league with split. How do I create the one you're talking about?

Use the Advanced editor. There is a setting to create a split & playoff champion

Where can I get the Advanced Editor? Is that something I buy on Steam or is this like a third party program I download on the internet?

It's under advanced rules, in the rules drop-down, there should be an option to convert to advanced rules, in there you'll have a ton more options for rules for leagues. However, it can be difficult to navigate without prior experience with it, so be ready for a bunch of trial and error.

It's under advanced rules, in the rules drop-down, there should be an option to convert to advanced rules, in there you'll have a ton more options for rules for leagues. However, it can be difficult to navigate without prior experience with it, so be ready for a bunch of trial and error.

Oh my God, I don't believe I've never seen this Advanced Rules option before! Thanks for pointing it out! And you weren't kidding with the trial and error thing. I've pretty much spent the entire day with it so far.

As someone who actually loves the nuances of MLS has anyone simply created the lower league divisions without any other change to US soccer?

One of the best things this year in development of younger MLS players (IMO obviously) was the USL affiliations. FM16 has that but, unfortunately, the USL teams play no games and therefore players cannot develop in any way like they should (at least that is my understanding).

Unfortunately I'm obviously totally new to the editor as well so if someone just wants to point me to a good guide for total beginners on how to add a set of games to an existing lower level league that would be great too.

As someone who actually loves the nuances of MLS has anyone simply created the lower league divisions without any other change to US soccer?

One of the best things this year in development of younger MLS players (IMO obviously) was the USL affiliations. FM16 has that but, unfortunately, the USL teams play no games and therefore players cannot develop in any way like they should (at least that is my understanding).

Unfortunately I'm obviously totally new to the editor as well so if someone just wants to point me to a good guide for total beginners on how to add a set of games to an existing lower level league that would be great too.

You can do this with the simple editor. When you add Nation Rules to the US, you can create the lower leagues and it doesn't change anything with MLS. Then when you start a new game, you select how far down the pyramid you want to run in your game. When you add Nation Rules, it'll add in leagues as far down as the PDL. You can add in the NPSL below it if you want, but everything is already created, you just need to add it in and then set the leagues to active.

You can do this with the simple editor. When you add Nation Rules to the US, you can create the lower leagues and it doesn't change anything with MLS. Then when you start a new game, you select how far down the pyramid you want to run in your game. When you add Nation Rules, it'll add in leagues as far down as the PDL. You can add in the NPSL below it if you want, but everything is already created, you just need to add it in and then set the leagues to active.

Thanks so much for the response - certainly sounds straightforward :). I'll pull up the editor again tonight and play around to find the Nation Rules. Finally found the guide on how to use the editor in the forum FAQ so hopefully that will give me a lot more insight than just clicking around and trying to compare the different leagues like I did the first time.

• 3 months later...

Archived