22566586548_8936818463.jpg

RKC Waalwijk

2021/22 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

28 July 2021

Timsa Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, First Leg

Bursaspor 1 - 1 RKC Waalwijk

Our first ever Champions League game and it was away in Turkey. Never the best start.. We started well though, controlling the play and attacking them through the middle. And it came to a head on 21 minutes, when Djeremy Wildenbosch was sent sprawling by a Turkish defender. Adam Maher stepped up to take the penalty, but he put it too close to the keeper and had it saved. And Bursaspor made us pay 10 minutes later, as a cross-field ball to Malen was picked off and two direct passes later saw the striker through to finish easily. 0-1.

Barely two minutes later, a corner from the right saw Djeremy Wildenbosch meet it with a flick header that sailed into the far corner for the equaliser. 1-1. We continued to control the game until the 72nd minute when a hard challenge saw Wildenbosch go down injured. He had to be subbed and his injury looked serious. After the game, it was revealed that he'd be out for 3 months. After that, I shut the game down and finished it.

-----------------

4 August 2021

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, Second Leg

RKC Waalwijk 0(1) - (1)0 Bursaspor (RKC win on away goals)

A proud day for the club as we officially opened the doors of our new stadium and, what better way to celebrate it than to play our first ever home European tie.

Sadly for the fans, it wasn't the best of games. Donyell Malen was guilty of spurning a whole host of chances, one when he was clean through. Another missed chance came when Xander Houtkoop was denied by the toe of the Bursaspor keeper. On 61 minutes, Kevin Strootman pulled up after a sprint and hobbled to the sidelines. It turned out that he had suffered a torn hamstring and would be out for 3 months.

The game was a total snooze fest and we went through on aggregate as we drew 0-0 and we through on away goals.

RKC Waalwijk

2021/22 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

17 August 2021

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, First Leg

RKC Waalwijk 1 - 4 Liverpool

The balls were not kind to us. We drew Liverpool, one of the hardest teams in this part of the competition. And it took all of four minutes for their striker to spring our offside trap and fire home. 0-1. We hung on by our fingertips until two minutes before half time, when Liverpool's ex-Ajax winger got the ball on the left hand edge of the area. Cutting inside Alberto, he fired into the top far corner, doubling their lead. 0-2.

I passionately encouraged them at half time, thinking a quick goal might kill the game. And it did. Barely 5 minute after half time, a cross-field ball found an unmarked Liverpool player, he played in their overlapping full back and that player's cross from the right found their left winger steaming in, unopposed, to head home. 0-3. I immediately made three subs and one of them, Donyell Malen, scored the goal that gave us a foothold. He laid the ball off to Goosens on the edge of the area and Goosens' return ball was laser guided, allowing Malen to thump home. 1-3.

The game seemed to peter out and I was looking forward to planning for the second leg when, on the stroke of 90 minutes, a ball was sprayed out to the left hand side and the resulting cross from the wide player found their ex-Ajax player again and his header just lazily looped into the far corner over Vink's desparing dive. 1-4. An absolute mountain to climb in the second leg..

-----------------

25 August 2021

Anfield

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, Second Leg

Liverpool 2(6) - (1)0 RKC Waalwijk

So, off to Anfield. That great stadium, steeped in history. We were desperate to get an early goal, to try and put the cat amongst the pigeons. We failed. Miserably. We only had 2 shots on target all game and the biggest mystery was how we managed to only concede two goals. Both goals came in a ten minute spell just after half time. The first was a stunning, curling free-kick that brought Anfield to it's feet on 51 minutes, 0-1. The second was a 25 yard wonder strike that gave Vink no chance, ignoring the fact that he should have been closed down earlier. 0-2. We went out of the UCL with barely a whimper and now have to wait to see our fate in the Europa League Group Stages.

Just found this thread and am going to read it from the beginning. Love your reference to the Austrian Coffee House Football, been reading a fair bit about Meisl, Sindelar and the Austrian Wunderteam. Good luck!!

Thank you for your kind words!

RKC Waalwijk

End of Aug 2021 Transfer Window

The transfer window slammed shut. I was again given the brief of Finish Midtable in the Eredivisie and was given a £35.5k transfer budget and £120k for wages.

Results

In the Eredivisie, we had the mother of all fixtures to start the season with. AFC Ajax Amsterdam at home. Given all the turmoil at the club and the lukewarm European results, I was worried about this fixture. Which all disspated within 4 minutes as cute interplay around the box saw Maher play in the rampaging Lassana Faye, who thundered home into the far corner. 1-0. Sadly, we were pegged back on 15 minutes as their striker lashed home at the near post. 1-1. However, we retook the lead on 30 minutes, when a case of pinball in the Ajax area after a corner saw the ball land at the feet of Sulenty Alberto, who poked home from a yard. 2-1. To make the half even better, a barnstorming run by Leeroy Owusu down the right, saw him knock the ball to Maxi Rolon at the edge of the area. He ghosted past one defender and wrong-footed the keeper by firing inside the near post. 3-1 at half time and we were rocking. On 60 minutes, a wicked ball from the left touchline by Adam Maher took out the entire Ajax defence and Maxi Rolon got goal-side of the full back and slid the ball into the far corner. 4-1. The rest of the game passed by relatively painlessly, thanks to the shell-shocked Ajax.

We then proceeded to thoroughly outplay SBV Excelsior in our next game with a rotated squad, in order to keep the best players fresh for Europe, but we fell behind to a sucker punch in the 67th minute and never recovered, despite controlling the whole match. The match was a 0-1 loss and that, coupled with the fact that they were the team that ruined our title chances last season, meant that I had a whole new loathing for them..

However, we bounced back against sc Heerenveen. The only goal in a 1-0 win came on 20 minutes. Tim Receveur had the ball out on the right

and, under heavy pressure, slung a cross into the box. The cross was controlled by on-loan Manchester City striker Wouter Derks, who chested the ball down and fired home, well beyond the dive of the Heerenveen keeper.

Sadly, we suffered another defeat before a European game in our final league game of the month. We went 1-0 up early against Roda JC Kerkade. Jeffrey Gouweleeuw headed home from a corner after 3 minutes and we cruised to half-time. Suddenly, it all went wrong.. We conceded three goals in less than 10 minutes. We couldn't stop a beachball and I couldn't understand why. I went extremely defensive to try and survive the game and we pulled it to within one on 74 minutes. A chipped cross by Rolon was met by a header from Donyell Malen. The ball clipped the top of the bar and bounced high in the air. As it came down, Malen tapped home from inches. 2-3. And that's how it finished.

- Table - - Results -

In our UEFA Champions League adventure, a dour tie against Bursaspor lead to an equally lethargic performance against Liverpool, which dumped us into the Europa League.

- UCL Results -

-------------------------

Transfers

A very bad window for us. Let's start with the sales first. First off, we sold two young players for £18k and £33k respectively. Neither would have made the grade, so they were shipped out for whatever I could get. Next went young striker Danny Hoek for £1.5m + 50% sell on, rising to £4.2m. I really didn't want to sell him at all, but the player himself complained about not being allowed to move. So, I did the best business I could.

Next.. Oh, next.. Shakhtar Donetsk came in with £12m with clauses + 50% sell on bid for Thierry Ambrose. My talisman. The record league goalscorer for the club. It was such a struggle. But I accepted. Let's be honest, if this happened IRL, the club would accept and I have to try and be realistic with the sales. Heart was broken over it though :(

Nigel De Jong retired and joined our staff. Then, Leeroy Owusu, after spending ages bitching about getting a move, finally got his move. No-one was offering the £2.5m I wanted, but Stoke City were offering £1.3m + 50% sell on, which is what was needed. Finally, I got another windfall..

Incoming, previous loanees Menno Vink (£1.8m from S.S Lazio) and Donyell Malen (Free from Arsenal) were signed permanently. Aslo, incoming from S.S Lazio was defensive midfielder Marc van Schijndel. He could play in the defensive line too, so was an excellent squad pickup, along with AMC Arjan Gerhofs for £1.8m. Gerhofs would be again, an excellent squad player.

I then loaned in strikers Wouter Derks and Jeffrey de Leeuw from Manchester City & Feyenoord Rotterdam. This was to be backup to Wildenbosch. His constant secondary role since he came to the club meant that it was a factor in letting Ambrose go.

Sadly, Wildenbosch's injury meant we were up a creek. So, I picked up Dutch forward Javairo Dilrosun on a 3 month loan from Manchester City. He cost £87k p/m, so therefore only a 3 month loan was needed. (I hope). I cancelled de Leeuw's loan just before the window closed, purely as he didn't seem like the type of player that fit into my system.

Finally, I picked up defender Joost van Aken on loan from U.S Citta di Palermo, He's cover for the centre of defence/left back.

- Transfers -

So you've just opened up a stadium and are immediately expanding it? :D

Tough start in the league and an even tougher Europa League group. However there's plenty of money coming in from the transfers (mostly Ambrose) and the Champions League playoff I presume, so on the long-term this should do plenty of good to the club.

So you've just opened up a stadium and are immediately expanding it? :D

Tough start in the league and an even tougher Europa League group. However there's plenty of money coming in from the transfers (mostly Ambrose) and the Champions League playoff I presume, so on the long-term this should do plenty of good to the club.

Hey, the option was there! :D

RKC Waalwijk

End of Jan 2022 Transfer Window

Results

A business-as-usual 3-1 beating of bottom club ADO Den Haag signalled the start of our September in the Eredivisie. This was followed by an excellent 2-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem.In the next game, Javairo Dilrosun's last act as an RKC player before his loan ended was to score the winner in a 1-0 win over FC Groningen. A sad 0-2 stutter against then-league leaders FC Twente Enschede put us in the hole in 7th place, but with 3-4 games in hand over the clubs above us. Luckily, we rebounded and slaughtered Go Ahead Eagles 4-1, thank in part to a Jordy Goosens hat-trick.

A fantastic 1-0 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam, courtesy of Djeremy Wildenbosch, sadly saw us throw away points against AZ Alkmaar, as we drew 2-2. That game saw Wildenbosch out for a week, which meant that I had to play Wouter Derks up front. And what a response! He scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over NAC Breda, both goals in a 2-1 win over Heracles Almeo, no goals in a 0-0 draw for FC Utrecht or a magnificent 1-0 win over AFC Ajax Amsterdam. He then scored the nail in the coffin in a 2-0 win over PSV Eindhoven, before embarking on a mini run of 2 goals a game for the next three games (2-2 vs PEC Zwolle, 2-0 vs VVV Venlo and 2-0, again, against PSV Eindhoven).

A below-par performance saw us rewarded with a 0-1 defeat against sc Heerenveen, before Derks scored the only goal against SBV Excelsior in a 1-0 win. Final game of January saw us draw 0-0 with Roda JC Kerkade and end up in a three-way tie for top spot.

- Table - - Results -

In the KNVB Beker, we easily beat lower-division opposition in HBS Den Haag, with youth player Piet van der Linden scoring on his debut in a 4-0 win. Sadly, the same system didn't work in the next round as we shockingly fell to Jupiler League opposition in the form of Helmond Sport. We battered them all game but went 120 mins without scoring, even when they were down to 10 men for 96 minutes of it and it was Maxi Rolon who missed the vital sixth penalty to send us out.

In the UEFA Europa League, I was expecting my arse to be handed to me. And I wasn't wrong. A 2-0 lead after 20 mins in our opening game of Group E against Villarreal C.F SAD horribly evaporated as we conceded a 91st minute winner to lose 2-3. Back-to-back 0-1 defeats were next, at home to FC Bayern München and away to RC Standard Liege meant that we were horribly rooted to the bottom with nil point.

A back and forth home game against RC Standard Liege brought our first ever UCL points and win, as a Djeremy Wildenbosch goal on 85 minutes, his second of the night, gave us a 3-2 win. We then proceeded to come from behind to win 2-1 at home to Villarreal C.F SAD which actually gave us an chance of qualifying.

Villarreal had 7 points, we had 6 and Standard had 5. A win over FC Bayern München would hopefully give us a place in the knockout stages. Sadly, we drew 0-0 and, surprisingly, Standard beat Villarreal, seeing them through on 8 points, us on 7 and Villarreal bottom on 6.

- Results -

Transfers

An odd transfer window. We signed Roda JC Kerkade midfielder Max van Schijndel for £2.1m. My scouts alerted me to him and, thanks to Roda's financial troubles, I was able to snap him up for cheap. With him arriving, I loaned out midfielder Arjan Gerlofs to Gençlerbirligi, reasoning that he needed games. Next came in winger Che Nunnely from AFC Ajax Amsterdam on loan for 3 months to help ease Adam Maher's two month injury worry.

I then saw that Dutch winger Bobby Adekanye was on the transfer list at AS Monaco FC. Thinking that he could do a job on either wing and was only 22, I parted with £3.9m and made him my highest paid player with Strootman. As a consequence, I offloaded aging winger Xander Houtkoop to Almere City on a free.

Finally, Liverpool came in for youth fullback Dolf Mulder. I was extremely loathe to part with him, but I talked them into a £5m bid with clauses and a 50% sell on. That, coupled with having some less-talented players available to take his spot, made the decision easier. Sold!.

RKC Waalwijk

End of 2021/22 Season Review

Results

A 2-0 win over bottom club ADO Den Haag heralded the start of February in the Eredivisie. And heralded our stumble into the second half of the season. A shocking 0-2 defeat to PEC Zwolle, despite controlling the game was the start. I thought a 3-1 win over FC Groningen was the start of something better, seeing as we were 3-0 up after 12 minutes.. But a late 0-1 defeat to Vitesse Arnhem, coupled with laboured draws against FC Twente Enschede (1-1) & VVV Venlo (0-0) saw us fall to 8 points behind leaders Ajax.

We got back on track with battling 1-0 wins over Feyenoord Rotterdam & Go Ahead Eagles. We then played AZ Alkmaar. We were very tight up until the 60th minute when Kevin Strootman saw his marching orders for a two-footed tackle. We shut up shop and resigned ourselves to a draw. Sadly, this wasn't to be as Amir Salah recieved HIS marching orders for a second yellow card. This saw us utterly at sea and AZ scored three in 5 minutes to win 0-3.

We were still 7 points in the hole and I threw caution to the winds. A hat-trick from Wouter Derks saw us thrash NAC Breda 3-0 and four goals in the first half saw us win 4-1 against Heracles Almeo. These two results, coupled with faultering from Ajax, saw us just two points behind going into the final day. We were to play FC Utrecht who, despite being in 15th, had had the best of us in the last 4/5 games. Ajax had third-placed PSV, so there was hope...

No, there wasn't. We slept-walked through a 0-0 draw, while Ajax destroyed PSV 4-0. So it's time to settle for second place again.

Board League Target: Finish Mid-Table

Actual League Result: 2nd of 18, Runners Up

- Table - Results -

Stats -

-------

The KNVB Beker was again, an utter washout. A good win in the second round led to a flameout in the third against Jupiler League opposition.

Board Cup Target: Semi-Final

Actual Cup Result: Third Round (lost 0-0p to Helmond Sport)

-------

In the UEFA Champions League, we struggled past Bursaspor, before we fell to Liverpool in the Best Placed Playoff. This dropped us into the Europa League Group Stage with FC Bayern München, Villarreal C.F SAD & RC Standard Liege. Sadly, three defeats in a row, followed by two wins and a draw wasn't enough to get us through.

UCL Target: Make Best Placed Playoff

Actual UCL result: Out in Best Placed Playoff

EL Target: Make Group Stage

Actual EL Result: Out at Group Stage

RKC Waalwijk

2022/23 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

27 July 2022

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, First Leg

RKC Waalwijk 3 - 1 Zenit St. Petersburg

Almost a year to the day of our first ever Champions League game and we were back. This time we face Russian giants Zenit St. Petersburg. Home for the first leg, I was just hoping we could be competitive. And we suffered an utter breakdown on 8 minutes, as a long ball caught us standing still and their striker finished easily. 0-1.

On 18 minutes, our saviour arrived as a corner from Maxi Rolon curled out to the edge of the six yard box where it was met by a firm header by Wouter Derks who thumped it home. 1-1. Five minutes later, Salah picked the ball up at the halfway line. He laid it off to Gerlofs who knocked it forward to Derks. He held it up and sent a cute reverse pass into the path of Maxi Rolon who finished into the far corner with aplomb. 2-1.

We made it to HT and encouraged them to keep going. On 74 minutes, a throw on the right found Maxi Rolon who passed it forward to Derks. He held it up, drawing the attention of two defenders, then slipped in Jordy Goosens who thundered a shot high into the top corner. 3-1.

Like President Madagascar, I shut down everything and rode out the famous win.

-----------------

3 August 2022

Zenit Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Third Round, Second Leg

RKC Waalwijk 1(4) - (1)0 Zenit St. Petersburg (RKC win 4-1 on aggregate)

We approached this game with the sole goal of just qualifying. I sent out my most negative and stiffling formation which led to only two shots on target for Zenit and our only shot on goal was from a 93rd minute free-kick. An injured Maxi Rolon sent in a deep cross and it's swirling path beat everyone apart from Suently Alberto who tapped home from 3 yards. 1-0.

RKC Waalwijk

2022/23 UEFA Champions League Best Placed Qualification Playoffs

Results

17 August 2022

Signal Iduna Park

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, First Leg

Borussia Dortmund 0 - 1 RKC Waalwijk

F****** Hell's Bells. Another terrible draw. We were put up against German giants Borussia Dortmund. I had visions of another Liverpool-esque result, so I just decided to go super defensive for both matches. No way we were going to get anything, so let's just make it as hard as possible for them to win.

Peter Leeuwenburgh decided to turn into Superman for this game, stopping everything in his way. He made fingertip save after fingertip save to keep us at 0-0. Then, on 31 minutes, Jeffrey Gouweleeuw decided to bundle over the Dortmund player in the box. Penalty to Dortmund. Whistles from the Yellow Wall are deafening as a Dutchman steps up against a Dutch team to start the slaughter... SAVED! HE SAVED IT! Leeuwenburgh springs to his left and pushes the ball away. Magnificent. We were manfully holding Dortmund at bay, even after half time.

On 84 minutes, a Dortmund corner was swung in and headed clear. Van Der Lieden picked up the ball and ran down the right. Dortmund were getting back in numbers as he knocked the ball infield to Kevin Strootman. He took two steps before firing a 25 yard curler past the outstretched fingers of the Dortmund keeper. 1-0. Amazing scenes. I was on my feet. We ran the game out and what a victory!!

-----------------

23 August 2021

AkzoNobel Arena

UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff, Second Leg

RKC Waalwijk 0(1) - (1)1p Borussia Dortmund (Dortmund win 3-4 on pens)

We had it all to do. Despite leading by an away goal, we had to deal with a p*ssed off German side coming into our town and trying to take over. Shades of 1940 there..

I rested everyone for the previous league fixture and sent them out to do battle. And it was a battle of attrition. We faced 33 shots on goal. It was just a barrage. Wave upon wave of Dortmund attacks on our goal were repelled by either player, goalie or woodwork. On 54 minutes, however, our resolve cracked. A dangerous cross into the box was headed out by Alberto and the subsequent ball played back in found Leeuwenburgh in full Clash mode (Should I stay or should I go?) and the £24m Dortmund striker headed home. 0-1. I kept urging the players to keep their shape and try to concentrate. We made it through to 90 mins without conceding another. I made two subs and sent them out for extra time. Extra time followed much the same pattern. They flooded us, we heroically resisted. At 115 mins, I made my final sub and we kept it tight all the way to penalties.

New signing Donny van der Beek was up first and he thundered it into the roof of the net. 1-0.

Next came Dortmund and they replied emphatically. 1-1.

Up stepped a clearly exhausted Co Gootjes and the on-loan Ajax winger put his weak penalty straight at the keeper. 1-1.

Dortmund rifled their penalty high into the corner next. 1-2.

Maxi Rolon, who missed in our Cup penalty loss, buried his this time. 2-2.

Dortmund, cool as you like, into the far corner. 2-3.

Next was Wouter Derks and he was ice cold from the spot. 3-3.

Dortmund doing that German thing and mechanically slotting penalties home. 3-4.

Up stepped Arjan Gerlofs and his penalty drifted harmlessly wide, I think he slipped.. 3-4, Dortmund win on pens

Sigh. Again out at the playoff stage. Europa League, here we come!

RKC Waalwijk

End of Aug 2022 Transfer Window

What a surprise. I was again given the brief of Finish Midtable in the Eredivisie and was given a £252k wage budget and £11.25m for transfers.

Results

In the Eredivisie, we kicked off our campaign against SBV Excelsior. I'm still sore about the way they denied us the title a few years ago, so any win against them would be a good thing. It was a dull game up until the 53rd minute, when Arjan Gerlofs sprayed a beautiful pass out to the right wing for Co Gootjes. He took it in his stride and made it to the byline. He then danced around two defenders and slipped the ball inside the near post. 1-0. A goal out of nothing that lit up the match. Sadly, it was the only light moment, but a win is a win.

Next up was FC Twente Enschede. We rolled out a full strength side and once they had a man sent off for a last-ditch tackle in the area, there was only going to be one winner. Adam Maher scored the resulting penalty to put us in the lead, 1-0, and Wouter Derks, back for another season on loan, finished clinically in the 81st minute from another Gerlofs through ball to make the final score 2-0.

We faced Heracles Almeo, slap-bang in the middle of our two UCL playoff games. And I, stupidly, forgot to call up my main U-21 guys so they wouldn't be involved. So we were left with untried academy players. FFS. No surprise, we lost 0-2. Our final game of the month was against Roda JC Kerkade, just coming off the disappointment of the UCL knockout, we struggled to a narrow win. New signing Donny van der Beek netting the only goal of the game from the spot after Gerlofs was fouled, giving us a 1-0 win.

- Table - - Results -

In our UEFA Champions League adventure, we fared much the same as the last one. A good win against Zenit St.Petersburg was bettered by a superhuman, but losing performance against Borussia Dortmund, which put us back into the Europa League.

- UCL Results -

Transfers

We had a disappointing window. We sold winger Bobby Adekanye to Sevilla FC for £10.75m. He was making noises about leaving and he'd also just got a cap for Nigeria, which meant I wasn't interested in keeping him, so off he went, after only 6 hot months. We then signed a good keeper to provide competition for Vink in Peter Leeuwenburgh for £1.3m from PSV Eindhoven.

My HOYD identified a young striker from Sparta Rotterdam and he came in for £145k. Next came a signing and loan from AFC Ajax Amsterdam. First, we re-signed striker Joost Kuipers for £3.5m. However, thanks to his previous 50% sellon, it ended up being £1.75m. Next was the loan of winger Co Gootjes for the season with a £5m to-buy clause.

This lead to us selling Donyell Malen to VfB Stuttgart for £1.5m. And FINALLY, want-away full back Lassana Faye got his wish as we recouped our outlay for him by getting £7m from him from C.Atletico de Madrid. I then sold midfielder Grad Demen to Olympique Marseille for £2.5m in order to integrate our new signing, midfielder Donny van der Beek, for £6m from Chelsea.

We then had two youth prospects unsettled which was really disappointing and eventually, goalie Robert Meijer was sold for £1.5m + 50% sell on to Arsenal and full back Björn Verstraaten went to C.Atletico Madrid SAD for £1.5m + 50% sell on. Finally, an injury to Adam Maher meant that I needed cover on the left and therefore I signed left winger Jordy Gravenbicht from C.Atletico Madrid SAD for £2.7m.

- Transfers -

A dangerous cross into the box was headed out by Alberto and the subsequent ball played back in found Leeuwenburgh in full Clash mode (Should I stay or should I go?) and the £24m Dortmund striker headed home. 0-1.

Whilst you're screaming "WATCH OUT WATCH OUT!" ;)

Archived