Football Manager 2016 Out Now - Official Feedback Thread

As he said in that thread, we are looking into it. Really the shortcuts are only to take you to another screen or to open up a button, but it's something we'll review.

Please do log anything you think is a bug in the bugs forums, though.

The way I understand it, keyboard shortcuts for functions are typically there to allow for more flexible ways to use the program and therefore to improve usability. Hopefully what you are saying means that its possible that the shortcut for search will make a comeback.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Tony. Yep, thats correct, i accepted it as if that is how the role was designed to work and its how it does (kind of) work then there is no bug. IS it worth opening a thread in the M.E forum again? It would be nice to have an option for the IWB to work like Alaba for Bayern or how Vidal played for Chile under Bielsa a few years ago but appreciate that its probably very hard to make a Wide player sit in outer CM roles when the team is in possession.

As it stands, PPMs seem to have MUCH more of a bearing in this edition so with correct PPM and role training maybe we can make an IWB act more like Alaba. Will have to try once i start a proper save :)

If this is the behaviour you want then we would not consider it a bug. However, it's worth dropping a mention of it here so that we can consider it for future versions: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441672-Top-Three-Match-Engine-Wishlist?p=10567887#post10567887

I read that the latest Beta patch ruined the ME. I am still playing the very early Beta and the ME is good. Moving to the standard release is the ME ok now or still ruined as the latest beta patch ?

Thanks !

The release ME is the same as the last patch ME. Although why anyone would think it was ruined is beyond me.

Something I have a problem with is that in the option to mouse-over the circled "i" to show a player mini-profile, the attributes given are abbreviations of three letters listed alphabetically and because of this, they move.

Jumping/Natural fitness switch places (Fit above Jum)

Long throws are at the bottom of the technical column (Thr)

First touch and freekick taking switch places too..

Is it possible to lock them?

Also, in a related issue: I am duo lingual but switching between two languages is almost intolerable in FM since the attributes switch places because they are called different things in different language ("Finishing" or "Remate" for example, leads to a striker profile looking very different in Spanish compared to in English) and since I am a creature of habit, I do not want to learn to scan two different player profiles for suitable attributes of players.

Are you using a custom skin by any chance?

Yes wannachuppabrew 1.1.1. Do you think that causes it?

Edit: Indeed going to normal skin makes it not crash. Is this a general issue with custom skins?

An honest piece of feedback: I really like the in-depth level of analysis that ProZone provides, but I think I'm missing seeing the *percentages*. I'm a mathy guy, but it's so much easier when you're seeing passes made and pass completion percentage rather than passes made and passes completed.

While I'm at it, I've always wanted the game stats to have percentages as well, or at least to have the columns be configurable.

I'm certainly not believing the match is scripted, but the additional players at the start of the match have ALWAYS been the ones coming into the match later, no matter what I changed / who I subbed in and how the match developed. Surely a manager would sub in other players while leading 5-0 than while being down 0-2. But the AI seems to be convinced who it will substitute during the match, no matter how the match goes.

I especially don't understand how it works with injured players: If one player has to come off this should change the substitution plans, unless the injury has been pre-scripted from the start of the match and the AI knew that the player would get injured, what I refuse to believe, as it would make tactical changes DURING the match (soft tackling) completely without effect on the match itself.

So why does the AI always substitute the same players (which you can see from the start of the match on the analysis tool), no matter what human input occurs during the match or how the score is or who gets injured? Or am I having a big misunderstanding here?

I've always suspected that the game is scripted in some way, and this does nothing to dispel that belief. I think this year's version is the most enjoyable I've played. However, this issue requires some explanation I feel. It is disconcerting to say the least.

I do hope we all haven't been playing a game for years that only gives the illusion of human control. That would be very disappointing.

Does anyone know what I would need to change in the editor to make Manchester United's season expectations "Qualify for CL" rather than the expectation being to win the league? For some reason it changed to that after the last beta update, and it's an unrealistic expectation.

We're not going into this scripting nonsense again on here...

As simple as possible put... managers in game, just like in real life have tendencies to react in certain ways...

I.e 'oh no! a player is injured, were chasing a game, let's bring on the best player i have available to me on the bench' or a different manager would bring on the best defender to help see out the game.

You could run the same situations with slight differences a 100 times and 99 times out of those 100, the manager would do the same... in real life an in game (if you could re run real life that is) ..

The simple fact is, before the match starts, a calculation is made, at every change made during a match, a recalculation is made.. no scripting, no predetermination (that you are suggesting).

But surely, the players the AI decides to bring on is the one variable that SHOULD change during a game, based on how it is panning out for the AI. How does it know a player in a certain position will get injured? Why doesn't it deviate from those substitutions depending on how their team performs?

I personally feel that it's really important to get your tactics right at the start of the game, as the engine will generate an outcome based on how the two teams are set up. However, I'm now not so certain anything you do during a match has much effect. How can it if the AI knows in advance who will be taken off? It is a little odd I must say.

But surely, the players the AI decides to bring on is the one variable that SHOULD change during a game, based on how it is panning out for the AI. How does it know a player in a certain position will get injured? Why doesn't it deviate from those substitutions depending on how their team performs?

I personally feel that it's really important to get your tactics right at the start of the game, as the engine will generate an outcome based on how the two teams are set up. However, I'm now not so certain anything you do during a match has much effect. How can it if the AI knows in advance who will be taken off? It is a little odd I must say.

Once you start the match, it is played out in front of you and is calculated to the end (including any AI intervention). Only when you make a change will the match recalculate, from the point of your intervention, and any AI changes based on the new situation. Any change you make will fundamentally change the outcome (butterfly effect and all that), but you won't see that.

It's a bit like the multiverse theory, each decision creates a new branch / match / universe, but you only perceive the one you are in.

On the plus side, if multiverses are your thing, then somewhere you've just won the Champions League with Lewes.

I would like to ask some questions regarding coaches and the training screen. And also have a request.

It seems that the U21 training screen has been merged with the senior squad training screen...

Do the U21 Coaches also help train the Senior squad as the training screen implies? I wouldnt assume so....but it looks like they do.

Do the U21 Coaches also help train the U18 squad as the training screen implies? I would assume so.

Request:

When selecting the training screen on the left it only shows the Senior squad training overview etc.

Can we get a quick link to the U18 training here please as it would help a lot.

Currently we can only see the U18 training screen by going into the U18 squad screen and selecting training.

Have you read posts #210 and #215? I wish I hadn't read about the issue TBH because ignorance is bliss, but I have noticed the issue in my own games now as well.

I would take the red pill if I could.

I'll try again...

Before you watch the match.. the match is generated (including the outcome) .. as you are in the match, you can make changes, which will cause a recalculation of the results and goings on in the game... I.e .. every change made by you or the ai will change the match, whether its significantly or not..

So impressed with the smoothness of the game. Absolutely stellar job guys and girls!

Hope you don't mind me asking this but i bought the Limited Edition with the Documentary..my game would have already activated without me putting any code in right? I can't see BETA anymore in the corner so i am assuming 16.1.1 is the official full game release version?

I'll try again...

Before you watch the match.. the match is generated (including the outcome) .. as you are in the match, you can make changes, which will cause a recalculation of the results and goings on in the game... I.e .. every change made by you or the ai will change the match, whether its significantly or not..

I will also try again. At half-time, additional AI players are shown who have not yet participated in the game. By the end of the game, these additional players have been brought onto the pitch by the AI. It doesn't matter if I go overload and go 4-0 up, or sit back and hit them on the break, or I go behind. Those same players that were shown at half-time end up on the pitch.

So impressed with the smoothness of the game. Absolutely stellar job guys and girls!

Hope you don't mind me asking this but i bought the Limited Edition with the Documentary..my game would have already activated without me putting any code in right? I can't see BETA anymore in the corner so i am assuming 16.1.1 is the official full game release version?

Correct, it would have updated to 16.1.1 on its own :)

I will also try again. At half-time, additional AI players are shown who have not yet participated in the game. By the end of the game, these additional players have been brought onto the pitch by the AI. It doesn't matter if I go overload and go 4-0 up, or sit back and hit them on the break, or I go behind. Those same players that were shown at half-time end up on the pitch.

Yes, and what you changed at half time did nothing to stop the AI's plans to bring on those players.. the fact you saw it in his plans before hand is the only issue here.... Now, that's not to say changes you make won't change the ai's plans to bring the players on at all.. just that the butterfly effect wasn't big enough to bring him to change. I fail to see how this is new to people by now.

Yes, and what you changed at half time did nothing to stop the AI's plans to bring on those players.. the fact you saw it in his plans before hand is the only issue here.... Now, that's not to say changes you make won't change the ai's plans to bring the players on at all.. just that the butterfly effect wasn't big enough to bring him to change. I fail to see how this is new to people by now.

I would love to agree with you Welshace. Unfortunately I can't. The reason? I have now tried this over a dozen times, and not once did the changes I make at half time have a "significant enough effect" to induce a change in the AI's planned substitutions. Not once. And I made some pretty radical changes too in order to test my theory out. I'm not sure what else I could have changed apart from playing my goalkeeper up front.

Because if people convince themselves that the game is scripted, it gives them a bonafide excuse for losing. People go to great lengths to never admit it's their own fault.

Because if people convince themselves that the game is scripted, it gives them a bonafide excuse for losing. People go to great lengths to never admit it's their own fault.

Not everyone Dave. I'm an extremely successful FMer. Know the game inside out. I didn't play 15 much (only about 5 seasons), but in those seasons I took Harstad to the Norwegian cup final and got them promoted, and I took Luton from the bottom of League 2 to the top of League 1. I know what I'm talking about.

Not only that, but the exact minute has been calculated

As Golden Boot already stated, I wish I had never seen it.

I would love to agree with you Welshace. Unfortunately I can't. The reason? I have now tried this over a dozen times, and not once did the changes I make at half time have a "significant enough effect" to induce a change in the AI's planned substitutions. Not once. And I made some pretty radical changes too in order to test my theory out. I'm not sure what else I could have changed apart from playing my goalkeeper up front.

A dozen times is not statistically significant. Scientists repeat experiments hundreds of times and they're merely discovering the workings of the universe, not trying to prove the internet wrong.

Document 100 matches and you might be onto something interesting. It wouldn't necessarily be scripting though. It could be an issue with the AI where they do not reassess their subs from the original calculation run. That would be a bug.

Not everyone Dave. I'm an extremely successful FMer. Know the game inside out. I didn't play 15 much (only about 5 seasons), but in those seasons I took Harstad to the Norwegian cup final and got them promoted, and I took Luton from the bottom of League 2 to the top of League 1. I know what I'm talking about.

As an experienced fm'er you should know how the game works then tbh. Just because you've got a match where you couldn't change the result or the players coming on doesn't mean it's scripted and can't be changed. It's an age old argument had every year, and every year people refuse to believe, it's very strange.

I haven't lost for 10 games Dave, the reason this is an issue is that it seems as if I might as well have been using the instant result button on that skin for the last 5 years.

To think that for me a player that sits through full match highlights has been basically wasting my time is ....

Not only that, but the exact minute has been calculated

As Glden Boot already stated, I wish I had never seen it.

Again.. all decided when GENERATING the match before you watch it.. you are essentially watching a recording of the match after the fact... it's just that you can recalculate it again when changing things.. a lot of the time, those changes won't counteract or change the result or certain actions the ai will make.. this isn't scripting.

Well, i wrote my opinions about the new version during the beta, observing some bugs, some doubts and many surprises with the new features. Here I go.

OBS: I play with the Brazilian Portuguese language, I play in Brazil, with a modified Flamengo (from Create a Club mode).

MY FM 16 ALBUM

- I am creating a club. I didn't like the limitation of characteres in some options.

- I have a suggestion for forum: Take advantage of the Create a Team Mode and create a clube with the forum members for FM stories.

- As I said, beyond that option of replacing a club, should have the option to add the club in the lowest active league of the country, that way the game wouldn't have problems to organize the calendar and the teams that would take part of the divisions.

- On the Staff screen, where the comparison between the Campeonato Carioca team staffs (Rio de Janeiro State Championship, he counts wrongly teams outside Rio de Janeiro State too.

- In tactical instructions, we should be allowed to choose one of the sides to attack with the option of attacking on the middle too, like in FIFA MANAGER.

- And really now the new tactical instructions screen shows you better what you do wrong and what is conflicting.

- The new minimum age to create a new coach is 20 years agains the 29 years of the past version.

- Amazing that new set piece screen, it allows many play formations, for attack and defense. But even I loving it I defend something close to CM10 set piece mode. Beyond it, the FM 16 set piece screen says to you what each player will do in each position on the set piece formation.

- In team talk now there is a column showing the player personality. This gonna help a lot.

- I liked the energy bar on the player. As I said, i would like something like in FIFA MANAGER, as I clicking on the player and open a variety of individual instructions/options for him. Beyond it shows other infos like position, role and so on.

- Amazing the PROZONE CAM and SIDERAIL CAM.

- Players really using the body to protect the ball and defenders closing down really and hardly, not like in FM15 they would look to rub himself with the striker to take the ball LOL

- I dunno if is problem of my PC but sometimes the mouse cursor disappears when I will use any "shout" with the team

- On the substitution screen (in tactics not in "quick subs") there were the 12 substitutes but the 11th one didn't appear well and I wasn't findind a scroll down to see the last one. Good there was a sidebar show the substitutes, those ones appeared fully. OBS: The problem was "fixed" when I changed "windowed" to "maximised boardless windowed".

- It's shown the overall physical condition and match sharpness of the substitute players on the tactics screen during the match, when I pass the mouse over it.

- I didn't like, on the opposite players screen, the player positions whose were substituted don't appear ot at least they could get gray/faded colors like in FM15. This makes the positioning reference of the opposite team.

- The only bad thing of the "X team's stats" (that info pop-ups that appears between the match highlights) is don't show the psychological status of the player, only position and rating.

- Still about the info pop-ups, SI must have inspired in a mod whose you could choose the infos you would like to see between the match highlights and there are many options at the same time. Here is limited in two pop-ups.

- Another mod the SI must have inspired was that icon sidebar mode whose shows only the icon on the sidebar menu. I didn't use that option but I saw it is available.

- Another possible inspiration was, for example, the player general screen. Many info, customized to your taste, remembers a layout mod I use on FM15 for player profile, club, staff, coach and other screens.

- You have a shortlist for staffs now.

- It's shown the rating of the refree at the end of the match.

- Now you can ask to the reserve and youth team coaches to define a frequency of friendlies, mainly when the team don't have a competitive match of your category during the week.

- Even I selecting many leagues, I thought the game very quick in response, mainly when in the middle of a match I check a player profile and I back to the match, this is done in a quick way, no freezes like in FIFA15

- A VERY CRAZY THING! You know the stadium big screns?! Now the image is not static, THE MATCH APPEARS THERE TOO!! Everything what you see on the screen is showed on the stadium big screen.

- On the individual player instruction screen, when you click on a posiiton it isn't demarcated, that way complicates a bit if you don't pay attention if you are instructing the right player.

- I noted a strange thing and this is not the first time: sometimes when the match goes to the halftime is not shown the teamtalk screen and the match restarts suddently. [ I think this was fixed, but just saying during the beta]

- When a scouter shows you a report, on the "scout summary" , it shows you a positive report in green, a negative one in red, a report with reservations in yellow but there is a report that says something like "he will can justify his develop" in white. This is big problem if you use the alternative skin.

- On the player profile (general -> profile), on the report part, if the player is scouted is shown the quantify of pros and cons. The little problem is shown a "scouted" with the brazilian portuguese language selected. It should be translated.

- I am thinking the market value of the brazilians players very low.

- On the info pop-ups between highlights, I didn't like when you substitute a starting player and you are following the starting team players rating, the player was substituted still is appearing on the pop-up as a starting 11, even substituted. In the past verison, when one of the starting 11 was substituted, the reserve player appeared between the starting 11. In this way disturbs me and makes don't take advantage the fact I have two pop-ups now and to folow the psychological side and the players rating. Moreover I didn't need two pop-ups for that, in F15 you had one option of pop-up with the psychological and the rating together. (EDIT 05/11/2015: it looks for Player Stats pop-up the problem was fixed but for Psychologic side of the players, it remains.)

- The staff classification is 0-20 instead the star rating? Where I see that?

- I like so much to see in 3D the players don't making silly mistakes as in FM15, whose depending how the play is build you already knew it would result in a mistake. I like as the Deep-Lying Forward is working, knowing to hold the ball, knowing when hold it off, organize the play, without that unnecessary runs agains the defense alone and loosing the ball in a silly way.

- Your assistant manager suggests you morever the formation to the next match, the tactical structure/team shape (fluid or not), the width, tempo and other instructions.

- A thing I didn't like: when you change something in the tactics, the menu got inaccessible till they ones be applied, different in FM15 which before they be applied, you could doing "updates" in tactics changes.

-The assistant manager summary during the match is in "General" tab instead "Analysis" one.

- A doubt: generally, an AI staff/manager send players to train new positions and movements (including the loaned players)

- I am noting: the Brazilian League is with the name "Brasileirão" for standard for brazilian portuguese. Was that way in the last version too? Because the last version I started using the "real fix name" mod, then I don't remember what was the standard name.

- On the individual trainning part, now you can't choose only one position or one role between the positions the player knows to train. If you wanna a striker becomes a defender, you can choose your specific role as Limited Defender, for example. Then, you can ask him to train an attritubute in additional, thing that wasn't possible in FM15. And also it shows you how adapted is the player in that position/role.

- There is an attribute named "Aerial Reach" for goalkeepers. What means that?

- The penalties looks better. I mean for goalkeepers. They jump and reacts in a time more natural than in FM15

Just a funny curiousity: Boca Juniors have a youth american named Joel Soñora, whose the father is U20 coach and his brother play in the category. He plays well, I note him playing for my reserve and youth team (he is loaned).

- How is classified a team with "major" and "minor" interest in a player?

- On the tactics screen during the match, a silly thing: on the starting players, if I pass the mouse over on the match sharpness/overal fitness or on the percentage, show a pop-up. With the substitutes only is shown when I pass the mouser over the percentage.

- I didn't liked to see in a match my defender winning in a run with a striker and suddenly he stops. The striker got in the area alone and scored. I didn't understand the defender's reaction, it was ridiculous.

- Friendly matches don't include official matches for reserve/B or youth team anymore, those won own stats.

- I marked to see a friendly match of a team and the match is not shown in my calendar, just my teams (professional, reserve and youth) ones. This is bad to me who likes to follow other matches and I need to know which matches I marked to watch and the FM16 calendar doesn't shows. Good point to the FM15.

- The assistant manager give two unnecessary tactical recommendations: if i can't attack the opposity team for the right or left, it could be summarized in one just recommendation, "attacking in the middle" or "avoid the sides".

- The "triangulations"* are good. If they are done with success, they break defenses, they are fatals, they always result in a great goal.

* I dunno if there is a word for this brazilian soccer slang for english, but that's the act of three players trading passes among them, forming an imaginary triangle.

- On the news about the analysis of the next match, where there is a part showing the favorite team for the match, it's showing too who will be the referee, the problem when the same hadn't never whistled a match of the current championship is mentioned this fact, just in english: "No matches refereed in the Campeonato Carioca this season".

- On the alternative skin I can't see well the attribute numbers that are requested on the set piece positions.

- On championship player stats, why where should be something like "jogos sem sofrer goals" for goalkeepers it's written literally in portuguese "clean sheet" ("folha limpa")?

- On the player reports sometimes is said which the current capacity of the player is Série D. But how does it possible when the Brasileirão - Série D (4th brazilian division) is not active in the save nether in the game as standard?

- A possible bug: when a player get injured and after the match you go to the post teamtalk, you note some of the interaction options with the player is more suitable with who was substituted.

- I was on 29/03/2015 (march 29th) in the game and on 04/11/2015 (november 4th) in the real life... I've got my first crash dump \o/! And I had more 3 crash dumps before I finish my participation in Campeonato Carioca (Rio State Championship). And I got once more during the Brasileirão (Brazilian League Serie A).

- There is a message in english in a physio report about the player that was approved on fitness tests, but recommending just 30 minutes of match at maximum: "You are advised to also consider the match sharpness of the player who have passed their fitness tests when selecting the line-up". This should be translated.

- I am playing the Campeonato Carioca (Rio State Championship) and the journalist asks me if "what I thinking about the pressure around the Chapecoense's manager". I dunno if i think that question normal or strange because the Brasileirão (Brazilian National League) hasn't started and that team is not from Rio and yes from Santa Catarina State. Then, I don't see sense with that question.

- I am very cool you note with more visibility your player you loaned is improving, with the green arrows at side of the attributes as indicator.

- Loaned player is disturbing me when is not starter on the first team and his original manager is doing the same. Even changing the player status and showing he really doesn't have quality to be a starter, his manager doesn't understand. I am not obligated to choose the guy if I see better options than him at that moment. I need compound the team and I don't have money. I think is I did the loan contract as "first team", but even that way is a bit unrealistic that "mimimi". And you reply you can't take him as start and the next week he is doing the same thing!!

- I won the Carioca Championship losing the first leg for 1-0 but winning the second one with the same scoring, with the championship rule saying the team with better campaign in the championship (group stage) could be favored, then I was the champion. But at the end of the match, my players didn't celebrate it, they acted like they weren't the champions, even the post teamtalk the options were like they had lost, there aren't options to praise the players because the title.

- I'm thinking funny in my "best/worst opinion" list about me appears some managers whose I didn't have any contact and guys from other leagues, like Ivan Helguera, Manuel de la Torre for example, in the other words, I play in Brazil, what those guys have of relation with me?

- And I noted on my profile the Campeonato Carioca (Rio State Championshp) title is not in my curriculum (My Profile -> Profile -> Career Achievements) but to my stats and achievements yes.

- When I was contracted to Flamengo, I went to a concentration period with the team in preseason. I thought it cool, i dunno if this really help the players get more better quickly but this option would be nicer if this were like in FIFA MANAGER, where I could choose the place where my team will do the preseason, depend of the focus which I wanna practice or how expensive they are.

I haven't lost for 10 games Dave, the reason this is an issue is that it seems as if I might as well have been using the instant result button on that skin for the last 5 years.

To think that for me a player that sits through full match highlights has been basically wasting my time is ....

Can disprove that sentiment in one match... play a match starting with the same lineup and remember the score... play it again starting with the same lineup but change the formation to something ridiculous like 2 2 6 and see what happens.

Just a few things from playing the demo ... briefly (so this is not detailed yet!).

The manager creator is... hilarious. A nice gimmick. I have created Severus Snape, the manager.

The Side-line cam in match no longer supports zooming in and out? Is this intended, or something that I should be reporting. If intended, that is a shame, I used it a lot. The new Prozone cam looks great though.

I find the tactical instruction screen cluttered and not nice to use. I understand the reason behind the changes, and I will get used to them with time. However, a second tab where you can switch to a view similar to that in FM 15 if desired would be a nice addition.

The ME seems the most polished yet, in the one match I have played. Lovely stuff.

one thing on tactics screen seems off. why i can't select only one full back to overlap? if i am not missing something this is completely wrong. i can understand it is (maybe) more common to see both fullbacks ovelapping, but that isn't really always the case and i should have the choice there same as chosing to attack down one flank and not down both flanks. any chance this could be changed?

I'm finding the last couple of updates have dramatically changed the match engine

I was unbeaten for 2 season and the update coincided with the first gam of a new season- lost all the first five games having changed nothing about the set up and personel.

Since the last update, there's been a massive change in the ME. Every single goal that I score or concede is from a cross which is just ridiculous, the defenders don't do anything, the midfield don't tackle. It's just a case of who misplaces passes the most. Really disappointed, when the beta first came out I was really enjoying it but now it's got a bit repetitive. The ME just lets the whole game down, as it has done on 15 and 14

Archived