Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2016 Out Now - Official Feedback Thread

Come on now, we all know the AI manager never achieves anything like success the human player can, it's always been like that, I'd go as far as to say when I see people posting about taking very low league teams to champions league, I automatically think wonder tactic exploiting the ME. Teams like Dumbarton will never get the crowds or finances to compete with the higher teams in the game here in Scotland.

And again, you're missing the point of the post. No-one who achieved that with Dumbarton would come on saying how unrealistic it was. Whether it's because they've "exploited" the ME (which is pretty unfair to automatically jump to that conclusion by the way) or not. But if the AI did it, they would. You're at least right about Dumbarton never doing that, at least in real life. But FM isn't real life, as once you click continue you're actively meddling in the known universe, causing ripples throughout it. Every day that goes past makes it much harder to compare to real life.

To say that no-one would complain about unrealism if they managed something themselves rather than the AI is absolutely correct. Nor should they, really. It would be an immensely boring game if the big clubs were the only ones that could win anything. Everyone is capable of doing anything in the purely FM world, crying unrealism many months and years down the line just doesn't fly.

As for Dumbarton achieving the title. Celtic and Rangers were both in the Championship, and I finished second with my newly promoted East Stirlingshire team. I abandoned the save because it was just getting silly, but IIRC the league table finished Dumbarton, East Stirlingshire, Partick, and Hibs. Rangers never did get promoted, and Celtic and Aberdeen in time went down to join them, although Aberdeen came back up after two seasons. There were just too many unlikely results from other games to have believe my efforts were truly earning their just rewards.

My French save saw similar happenings with Guingamp and Stade Reims winning the title there in the two seasons I gave it. I'm now running just the English league, managing Margate in the National South.

ohje.gif

barcelona derby vs espanol ... the goalkeepers in this years version are really really bad ... i bet u guys are working on it . i'll upload it as pkm as soon as the match is finished :brock:

same match , 2nd half ...

oje2.gif

barcelona derby vs espanol ... the goalkeepers in this years version are really really bad ... i bet u guys are working on it . i'll upload it as pkm as soon as the match is finished :brock:

Worth raising the complete lack of reaction by any of the defenders too, considering those two attackers that closed in from the bottom were further from the ball than the defenders when it came back out from the rebound.

And again, you're missing the point of the post. No-one who achieved that with Dumbarton would come on saying how unrealistic it was. Whether it's because they've "exploited" the ME (which is pretty unfair to automatically jump to that conclusion by the way) or not. But if the AI did it, they would. You're at least right about Dumbarton never doing that, at least in real life. But FM isn't real life, as once you click continue you're actively meddling in the known universe, causing ripples throughout it. Every day that goes past makes it much harder to compare to real life.

To say that no-one would complain about unrealism if they managed something themselves rather than the AI is absolutely correct. Nor should they, really. It would be an immensely boring game if the big clubs were the only ones that could win anything. Everyone is capable of doing anything in the purely FM world, crying unrealism many months and years down the line just doesn't fly.

We know it's not realism with FM but there has to be a degree of realism to at least enjoy the game, Hannahrr answers the point precisely stating how unbelievable the league is in the save, Celtic and Aberdeen both in the Championship and Rangers still not promoted, we need realism to a certain extent or there isn't any point playing the game as it all just becomes too silly.

Question.... when a player is Wanted and they come to you and ask to move, if you tell them that you will let them go if a reasonable offer comes in.... will the amount of the offer matter if you then reject the offer? On FM15, it didn't seem to matter and they would rage if you rejected the offer. I ended up selling a well-scoring striker in the window winter for far too little money, because the offer came in as non-negotiable and I assumed he would react really negatively if I said no. Has anyone tried this yet?

As for Dumbarton achieving the title. Celtic and Rangers were both in the Championship, and I finished second with my newly promoted East Stirlingshire team.

And so, the previous poster's point has been proved in this one sentence. Your earlier post complained about the unrealism of Dumbarton winning the league, failing to mention the Shire - a team who start the game as one of the worst two or three teams in the country - finishing 2nd. And why? Because you are managing them, and until this was pointed out, you never thought it warranted a mention.

As for your game world, I'd love to know what season you're in. If it's many years down the line, then yes, with a number of external factors, it's possible as forameuss says. If it's within the first 3-4 season in the game, then you've clearly been messing about with the editor (or suchlike) to such a degree that the gameworld has been unbalanced from the start. In all the years I've been playing CM/FM, I've never seen Celtic out of the top 3 or 4 in the first few seasons, never mind relegated.

Question.... when a player is Wanted and they come to you and ask to move, if you tell them that you will let them go if a reasonable offer comes in.... will the amount of the offer matter if you then reject the offer? On FM15, it didn't seem to matter and they would rage if you rejected the offer. I ended up selling a well-scoring striker in the window winter for far too little money, because the offer came in as non-negotiable and I assumed he would react really negatively if I said no. Has anyone tried this yet?

Yes. I regularly get prima donnas whinging because "I broke a promise" because I didn't sell them for the offer of 54p.

I gave it up at the start of the sixth season. My run to the Premiership was beyond easy, and Celtic and Rangers weren't in the top league when I got there. Hearts and Aberdeen were non-entities, and my being in the divisions with some of these good teams played no real part in their lack of form. Celtic were my ninth game in the Championship, and IIRC they were 7th at that point with only two wins. Rangers were sniffing around promotion, but never made it. That Celtic were in the Championship at all is unrealistic, and as a result, cheapens all achievements I did manage, because they were not done against the best.

Actually the clincher for my stopping was seeing the Euro Super Cup being held between Viktoria Plzen (champs league) and BATE.

I gave it up at the start of the sixth season. My run to the Premiership was beyond easy, and Celtic and Rangers weren't in the top league when I got there. Hearts and Aberdeen were non-entities, and my being in the divisions with some of these good teams played no real part in their lack of form. Celtic were my ninth game in the Championship, and IIRC they were 7th at that point with only two wins. Rangers were sniffing around promotion, but never made it. That Celtic were in the Championship at all is unrealistic, and as a result, cheapens all achievements I did manage, because they were not done against the best.

Actually the clincher for my stopping was seeing the Euro Super Cup being held between Viktoria Plzen (champs league) and BATE.

Do you have enough/the right leagues loaded so Celtic can use it's money to buy a good team?

Match Engine is very bad, low quality teams are playing on Real Madrid counter attack level like it's nothing.

During the game suddenly when i click on a player "highlight key attributes for role" turned to player's best position like 'ball winning midfielder defend' it is so annoying. Whoever I click I see the most important attributes of a player for his position. Please help me how can i get rid off it? I click clear selected role but all players in the game is still same and when i click continue it goes same again

And so, the previous poster's point has been proved in this one sentence. Your earlier post complained about the unrealism of Dumbarton winning the league, failing to mention the Shire - a team who start the game as one of the worst two or three teams in the country - finishing 2nd. And why? Because you are managing them, and until this was pointed out, you never thought it warranted a mention.

As for your game world, I'd love to know what season you're in. If it's many years down the line, then yes, with a number of external factors, it's possible as forameuss says. If it's within the first 3-4 season in the game, then you've clearly been messing about with the editor (or suchlike) to such a degree that the gameworld has been unbalanced from the start. In all the years I've been playing CM/FM, I've never seen Celtic out of the top 3 or 4 in the first few seasons, never mind relegated.

We may not always see eye to eye Dave but this is my thinking too, I've been playing this long enough and never seen what Hannahrr has seen in the game, yes you'll get a few funny weird results but never the demise of a club the size of Celtic. We know why Rangers and Hearts were relegated ( finances ) but I've never seen large clubs in any league being relegated. Taking E Stirling up to the premiership could be done, Ross Co and Inverness are prime examples of small teams taking 5-6 seasons to reach this league and stay here too, we even had Gretna up here till the cash flow dried up with the death of their chairman/owner.

Do you have enough/the right leagues loaded so Celtic can use it's money to buy a good team?

Surely the leagues you load have nothing to do with the AI teams in your league.

No idea if anyone else has pointed this out but when playing Liverpool, although some of my English players have, for instance Nigerian heritage and a typical Nigerian name, a lot of the time the regen's face is 100% white.

Eg. in my latest lot of regens i have a player called Mark Agyepong, born in Ghana, who qualifies for both Ghana and England, and yet the regen's face is white.

I gave it up at the start of the sixth season. My run to the Premiership was beyond easy

I remember a save I had with Stirling Albion, my own team, last season. Couldn't get higher than the Championship as the board simply refused to turn full time. And unless you're using some ME busting super tactic, it's pretty hard to win promotion to the top league whilst part-time, so 'beyond easy' seems a stretch to believe tbh.

Pretty sure there's been some editor shenanigans going on there, or you're simply just making it all up. Upload the save or it didn't happen :p

Surely the leagues you load have nothing to do with the AI teams in your league.

Well it does in the sense of the database size for clubs that purchase out of their league areas. Not enough leagues/players and clubs won't have the selection of signings.

I have played every FM since the beginning and this is the first one i don't like. The match engine seems totally wrong up to last year, i find all the goals repetitive and really get bored watching the match's. I normally immerse myself in it and love building a tactic and philosophy.

I have taken my team Bristol Rovers to the prem over the last 6 seasons so i have given it a good go, i normally play 30+ seasons but i just can't stomach any more of it. and watching the matches is painful and unrealistic.

I am really disappointed this year and it is the first time ever that i have uninstalled the game.

i consider myself a hardcore FM fan and buy every version of the game for my iPad and mac etc so i am sorry i can't give any more constructive feedback than i just don't like it. it could be just the amount of time i have spent playing the game!

Maybe next year...

No idea if anyone else has pointed this out but when playing Liverpool' date=' although some of my English players have, for instance Nigerian heritage and a typical Nigerian name, a lot of the time the regen's face is 100% white.

Eg. in my latest lot of regens i have a player called Mark Agyepong, born in Ghana, who qualifies for both Ghana and England, and yet the regen's face is white.[/quote']

You should report this in the bugs forum.

Only playing for a short time. But i'm very dissapointed that there are still no changes to how adjust pressing in the tactics menu. Imho there should at least be the option to change between active, passive and no-pressing for different zones on the field, pressing intensity and an exact line where pressing should be started. Instead we have only closing down ...

Another negative point is the transfer system, it is still not possible to have negotiations with another players about a transfer before reaching an agreement with the other cluib. In reality this happens very often, a club and a player come to an agreement, then both clubs negotiate over the transfer value (and in some rare cases the club won't sell the player at all).

I have a core i5 2.4ghz with 4gb ram. How many playble leagues do you think I could run that the game goes with reasonable speed. I'm running 5 leagues now with large database and it works fine. I'd like maybe to start unemployed and would like as many leagues loaded as possible but I've never done it and don't know what is the game speed on 3 stars for example?

I have a core i5 2.4ghz with 4gb ram. How many playble leagues do you think I could run that the game goes with reasonable speed. I'm running 5 leagues now with large database and it works fine. I'd like maybe to start unemployed and would like as many leagues loaded as possible but I've never done it and don't know what is the game speed on 3 stars for example?

"Reasonable speed" is completely subjective. There's no way of telling you how fast game speed would be on 3 stars, as the stars are subjective too. Only way to tell is to run what you want to run and see if it's fast enough for you. if so, great, otherwise start cutting until it is quick enough. No-one else can tell you an answer that will mean anything.

I personally wish SI would do away with those stars completely, as they're completely useless for determining 'game speed'

I personally wish SI would do away with those stars completely, as they're completely useless for determining 'game speed'

While I agree with you, they've kind of made their bed with that, doubt they could remove it now. It's not something that can really be reliably measured, but if they take it away they'll get complaints.

Well it does in the sense of the database size for clubs that purchase out of their league areas. Not enough leagues/players and clubs won't have the selection of signings.

I assumed the leagues you chose were purely for yourself, pc performance etc and had little effect on the teams in your league, seems a bit strange that Celtic would only be able to get players from a small database, when in reality they probably scan world wide for players.

I assumed the leagues you chose were purely for yourself, pc performance etc and had little effect on the teams in your league, seems a bit strange that Celtic would only be able to get players from a small database, when in reality they probably scan world wide for players.

I don't really understand what you're getting at. If you start with a small database, then there are only the players in said database for Celtic to choose from. There just isn't the "world-wide" database of players to choose from. Of course your choice of database affects other teams - it affects the entire gameworld.

ohje.gif

same match , 2nd half ...

oje2.gif

Worth raising the complete lack of reaction by any of the defenders too, considering those two attackers that closed in from the bottom were further from the ball than the defenders when it came back out from the rebound.

Thing is, I've seen events like this pretty often in real football, even down to the defenders being far slower to react to a rebound than the attackers. That's not to say that they're aren't problems, it could be that these things are happening too often in game, but when I look at haffaz' gifs, my reaction is "poor but completely believable goalkeeping and defending", not "bug / ME flaw".

I personally use the stars as a guide. Just like the star ratings for players, you don't live and die by it, but it can be useful. If you want someone to tell you how many leagues you can run without slow speed...well, SI already made a tool for that. Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

A season and a bit into my save with Liverpool and I see some harrowing similarities between this match engine and the one that rendered FM14 such an exasperating, infuriating, and joyless for much of its life.

I went on holiday for the games in my first season but watched all the goals back. I'm seven games into my second season. In both cases results have been very good (finished third in my first season just picking the teams and managing training etc.), five wins from five in the league, a decent 1-1 draw away at Napoli in the Champions League, and the only defeat was in the third round of the league cup away at Cardiff. So I'm not saying any of this because results are poor, far from it. But it seems to me that there's some terrible things wrong with the match engine.

No amount of instruction to pass the ball short, retain possession etc. seems to be able to stop players attempting stupid Hollywood balls in behind for onrushing wide attackers from all over the field which almost never come off, even centre-backs and defensive midfielders. Instructing the team to play narrow *can* reduce it a little bit, but the closest thing I've found to a solution is to eschew formations with wide attackers (e.g. 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1) and play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. I shouldn't have to do that just for the sake of not having my team defy instructions and play stupid, low percentage balls which full-backs and centre-backs intercept in the air with blindfolds on. It's either that or balls in behind that are just mindlessly chosen and stupidly overhit anyway, and as a result, in most of my games, it's extremely rare for both teams to get more than 70% pass completion. If my team get above 70% I know I'm doing well, it's more typically between 60% and 70% for both teams, when in reality in an elite-level game it's usually more like 75-85% for both sides.

What's bizarre about this is, there's also a major propensity for players to look for the big diagonal ball out to onrushing full-backs, and to be honest, this ball seems to work a little *too* often and almost be never overhit, wrongly angled, or mis-controlled by the recipient. I have barely been punished by the opposition doing this successfully, but I profit from it all the time and to be honest, it seems a bit too easy to pull off.

This leads me to my other major objection to the match engine: WAY too many goals are scored from crosses. Again, I profit from this 5-10 times more than I suffer from it, but it's just crazy. At the same time, players fluff relatively straight-forward final passes in and around the final third rather a lot, and often seem hesitant to release the ball in good areas, again, regardless of instruction.

Attackers miss far too many sitters, again, much like FM 2014. As with crosses and diagonal balls, I profit from the ineptitude of attackers in front of goal far more than I'm punished by it. The number of times I've been sure I'm about to concede only for the attacker to shank it wide or pass it into the arms of the goalkeeper and leave me stunned is crazy. It just doesn't seem realistic.

I don't really understand what you're getting at. If you start with a small database, then there are only the players in said database for Celtic to choose from. There just isn't the "world-wide" database of players to choose from. Of course your choice of database affects other teams - it affects the entire gameworld.

My point was I didn't realise the database I chose would also affect the teams in my leagues, Celtic, Hearts etc. I always have a decent large database so I don't see any other teams having problems with players, the point was raised in another post re small database and the probable demise of Celtic and Aberdeen in that person's game, instead of having a sarcastic tone to your replies, how about either replying with an answer that will help or just don't bother answering at all. :brock:

My point was I didn't realise the database I chose would also affect the teams in my leagues, Celtic, Hearts etc. I always have a decent large database so I don't see any other teams having problems with players, the point was raised in another post re small database and the probable demise of Celtic and Aberdeen in that person's game, instead of having a sarcastic tone to your replies, how about either replying with an answer that will help or just don't bother answering at all. :brock:

There was nothing sarcastic about my post, so not sure what you're getting so precious about. I genuinely didn't know what you were getting at, as I thought it was pretty obvious that less players in the database would mean that everyone has less players to choose from.

A message on a forum doesn't have any tone.

Thing is, I've seen events like this pretty often in real football, even down to the defenders being far slower to react to a rebound than the attackers. That's not to say that they're aren't problems, it could be that these things are happening too often in game, but when I look at haffaz' gifs, my reaction is "poor but completely believable goalkeeping and defending", not "bug / ME flaw".

Similar stuff in real life, defenders reacting slower than the attackers, does indeed happen fairly frequently.

I was thinking the same thing about the gifs provided. Poor goalkeeping and poor defending.

There does seem to be an issue though. I've seen in my matches that defenders can also run away from a rebound.

As if the 3D representation is adjusting itself to get the defenders to a position where they actually should be, instead of where they are shown to be.

An example is, 2-4 defenders + GK are between the goalie and the opposition player taking the shot.

Ball is saved by the GK or hits the crossbar.

All the defenders run up the field, past the ball for then to run back again, trying to get to the rebound.

Attacker(s) reacts on the rebound from a sensible position and gets the goal.

Defenders hardly got the chance to run back again to try getting to the ball first.

Another thing that has happened which might be related is another situation with the GK.

A shot comes straight at the goalie.

Goalie saves but is unable to hold the ball.

Ball bounces of the GK and is loose a few yards away from the GK (inside the 6-yard box).

Goalie just stands there looking at the ball and the defenders don't react to the situation at all.

If the defenders do react they are way to high up the pitch, relatively to the situation.

The last line might be in conjuction with some bad instructions for the defenders as well though.

I think the rebound issue is exacerbated by the fact that it often looks like the defenders are static. Of course, that does happen in real life also, but perhaps more realistic would be if it looked in the engine like the defenders were at least trying to recover. A striker facing the goal and moving in that direction is always going to react much quicker than a defender who has his back to goal and not moving, but I have seen certain situations where you can't help but saying "come on, at least try and get to the ball

I think the rebound issue is exacerbated by the fact that it often looks like the defenders are static. Of course, that does happen in real life also, but perhaps more realistic would be if it looked in the engine like the defenders were at least trying to recover. A striker facing the goal and moving in that direction is always going to react much quicker than a defender who has his back to goal and not moving, but I have seen certain situations where you can't help but saying "come on, at least try and get to the ball

That exact thing has literally happened quite a few times, apart from the last 4 words.

I normally replace that with a huge sigh :D

SI we need a update for the ME.We can't enjoy the game so far.The possesion,the poor defensive oparation,the full backs and the goalkeepers must be fixed as soon as possible.Please hurry up!!!

SI we need a update for the ME.We can't enjoy the game so far.The possesion,the poor defensive oparation,the full backs and the goalkeepers must be fixed as soon as possible.Please hurry up!!!

Who is "we"? I'm enjoying it. And I'd much rather any fixes were properly tested, rather than "hurried up".

Nothing winds me up on this forum than people who think they speak for everyone. No one speaks for me other than me.

Is the game perfect? No.

Is it playable and enjoyable? Yes

Are fixes needed? Sure but there's nothing game breaking.

While i love the team instruction visual that help to show what the changes do, i dont like how theres less options and still some vague nature of some options

1. Team Shape, theres nowhere that visually shows what the changes actually do. The info given isnt good enough. At least on the last FM i play (FM13) i could look at the sliders to see the changes.

2. Creative Freedom....theres no visual representation of how much freedom the play has. Again in FM13 i could see this.

3. Focus Passing. In past version there was an option to focus passing down the middle, left, right or both flanks. This was different to the Exploit middle/left/right/flanks shouts as the exploits shouts also increase/decreased other things like forward runs. So is that still the same? If not, how do i focus passing?

Then we have the roles.

4. Playmakers and Target men. Again in FM13 we had the roles of course, and then the options to use a target man or playmaker or not. In FM15 theres no option to use a playmaker/Target man or not, other than the actual roles.....yet i like the AP roles and instructions, but dont want to use an actual playmaker....i could do that in FM13, and i cant seem to make a role have the same instructions as the playmaker but not be the playmaker role.

5. The roles all have set instructions that includes some things locked in or out that you cannot change. Unfortunately that also means sometimes we cannot make the role we actually want the player to do.

6. Positional suitability is understandable, just like past FM games the greener it is, the better the player is in the trained position.

But what about Player suitability for the role. Does this have an actual affect in the game, or is it just a visual indication of the players stats for that role? Example is i have a player who is low red for the false 9 position but competant for DLFs role.

7. While we can choose to turn instructions on ( green), i also wish we could turn some off (red). Example with Keepers, distribution type, i would like them to have the option of using roll it out, throw it or take short kicks, but i dont want the GK to kick it long, unfortunately we can only choose one option and we cant turn off an option.

Overall I'm finding this version of the game much easier to get into. I think the more graphical representations and the little tooltip descriptions of the team and player instructions make it far clearer what impact each setting will have and I like the new Staff screens as well. The match engine also seems (to me, at least) to be very playable out of the box.

A couple of areas for future improvement for me would be the Prozone screens and the set piece creator. In both of these functions the issue is simply the sheer amount of clicking, ticking and going backwards and forwards through the screens that's needed in order to use these functions. A wee bit of streamlining would really help increase the usability of these two areas I think.

The Prozone tool, in particular, is a really valuable tool but the amount of faffing required to select and deselect different players and stats and teams and things makes it really hard work to use.

Overall though, very very happy with the game this year. KUTGW :)

What is the point of letting me create a club and a team if you dont give me any team cohesion at all? I thought this was so obvious that i didnt even check my team talk feedback from my ass manager until i realized something was wrong. Does the game seriously treat a knew club as if i had just signed 23 new players? If so, why does the mode even exist? Is it possible to get a refund for something like this? One of the main reasons why i upgraded to FM16 was to be able to actually make a dream-squad that had team cohesion (when you did it in the editor in earlier years they got **** chemistry).

A season and a bit into my save with Liverpool and I see some harrowing similarities between this match engine and the one that rendered FM14 such an exasperating, infuriating, and joyless for much of its life.

Yeah it's actually quite stunning how many of FM14's shortcomings have come straight back, with little acknowledgement and probably no patch for months, and who knows even then, since they seem to see it as a good release.

Yeah it's actually quite stunning how many of FM14's shortcomings have come straight back, with little acknowledgement and probably no patch for months, and who knows even then, since they seem to see it as a good release.

If you have an issue please raise it in the relevant place of the bugs forum. Given the amount of responses in the match engine forum to issues raised, to say there's been 'little acknowledgement' is ill-judged at best. Thanks.

Playing my usual first game as Arsenal hoovering up all the best youth. A massive number of the best regens appear to be strikers to the extent ive changed to 4-3-3 and i may need to try and figure out a 4 striker formation. Im having trouble training some of my 14 good regen strikers to different positions (past accomplished) this year - am I missing something?

Playing my usual first game as Arsenal hoovering up all the best youth. A massive number of the best regens appear to be strikers to the extent ive changed to 4-3-3 and i may need to try and figure out a 4 striker formation. Im having trouble training some of my 14 good regen strikers to different positions (past accomplished) this year - am I missing something?

Interesting you say that as the best regents in my save appear to be strikers as well. I have just had to overpay for a centre back as there are not many around.

Is it normal that when you score with a direct freekick , that the player who got fouled , receives the Assist for it ? cuz that's what happens in the FM

Is it normal that when you score with a direct freekick , that the player who got fouled , receives the Assist for it ? cuz that's what happens in the FM

Possibly. That's definitely how it should work for penalties.

Transfer budget issue has to be fixed. I have sold 4 players in PAO which I made 19M euro. I had 8M euro in my transfer budget. When I was about to sign with 3 players, I had to increase players wages(Which is ridiculous) so I decrease the transfer budget to 2M euro. Then it is because adjust budget locked, I couldnt sign any of these players. When I cancelled them, I had 3M euro left in the highest possible. Club has 20M euro in balance. No option to request transfer budget. So the question what has happened to 5M euro in my transfer budget? What has happened to the whole money I made? I had to play champions league playoff with 18 years old kids and eliminated. 19M euro sale and 3M euro in my transfer budget plus I still has to decrease wage budget. The club has no economic problem. This is my second year. I didnt even spend a million euro. Please fix such horrible mistakes. I always lose my interest in game and what I realize is in every upgrade of fm it is getting more and more unrealistic