FM16: Nottingham Forest FC - 150 Years & Counting

The only reason I've kept Tyler Walker about is for home grown players, his wages are minimal & better to have the option of playing him that being a man short in my quota.

Well done on the Euro Cup FloydRix. I did the same thing after dropping out CL at group stages. Finished fourth in my second season in Prem so again qualified for Champions League. Turned down for a new stadium once again though, Fawaz thinks we need a bigger fan base otherwise it's not worthwhile. I've got a £60m budget plus sold £25m of players and I really want to develop some of the younger ones I already have so I think if I don't bother with big name signings & just keep the money in the bank then maybe he'll agree to it.

Munir has gone back to Barca who wanted daft money for me to loan him again or to buy him, then Everton snap him up for £25m! I was stuck without a quality forward so I got Patrick Aubameyang on loan from Bayern. I was going to buy him but refuse to pay £12m transfer fee then £140k a week wages for a player who is 29yo and realistically only has 2-3 years until he starts to heavily decline.

I've signed two left wingers, Ahmed Musa & Jese for approx £10m a piece. Sold Egrys Kace and Claudio Bumba for £12.5m each.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is absolutely nuts. Also, 2 and a half seasons and your top of the Prem.

If you'd have said that about Leicester 2 years ago... ;)

So..

Heres how it is.

ZNLfvXh.jpg

Man U are away at Newcastle on the Saturday. I have to match their result on the Sunday to win the league. My opponents. Derby. At Pride Park. :D

Awesome work Rob. How many of the original starting squad do you have now?
Lichaj and Pinilos are still around, Lansbury has been in midfield, played around 25 games before he did his achilles. Britt up front of course. Oli Burke has made a few appearances, as has Osborn.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions for you guys in the know.

I'm doing a journeyman save of sorts and ended up in Forest in 2024, at this point they are back in the Championship after two seasons in the Prem. They still have Kuwaiti owners and they said during the interview that they had vast resources (or the like). But, the question is, is this one of those tycoon clubs? I "only" got 35 mil pounds when we won promotion back to the Prem and this is not ideal given that we have to strengthen with at least 8 new players.

Hey ho...

Newcastle beat Man United on the Saturday, then we drew at Pride Park on the Sunday for this... i9gtRKc.jpg

Wow, rob. Can you tell me what tactic you used? With instructions and everything? Or could you upload your tactic file? Cheers.

That's still bloody impressive

I'm on my 3rd season, fluked not getting relegated, board gave me 48 million to spend, I went for mid table finish, at the minute (December) I'm 4th in the prem. Signed a keeper called Sara, Steven caulker, cresswell (LB) jack wilshire, my stand out players are assombalonga simon thern lucas Romero and Nicklas stark. Im trying to sign zickovic but it's proving costly. I'm losing some life hours on this.

Bought the game a week ago and in my first save with Forest, I ended up getting the sack by christmas (I was lazily playing and not really giving any attention to it). So I decided to try again but to actually spend a bit more time getting to grips with it.

Ended the first season in 5th place.

With 3 games to go, any team from 3rd to 16th could have been in the play-offs!! It was unbelievably tight.

I have Sheff Wed in the semi-finals whilst Derby take on Wolves in the other semi

In my first save with Forest, and i'm not in the play-off position. My forest team is playing very well and Burnley is at top.

Nelson Olievera is injured for 10 months and i terminated his loan half way. he was doing pretty decent.

I can't believe that Britt Asambalonga can turn out to be a world class player ? 40 goals in a season. wow.

Ended up getting promotedd via the playoffs, but boy, we have been crushed in the premiership so far.

Played 6

lost 6

We manage an average of 6 shots per games, whereass the opposition have averaged 23. We never look like winning and are constantly dominated.

I have tried a couple of formations, I have tried to change the team instructions...but it makes absolutely no difference

• 2 weeks later...

In my 4th season (3rd in the prem) played 23 won 4 drew 4 lost the rest, in shocking form, tried changing tactics, going back to basics, nothing's working. Only thing I can think of is i brought to many players in and they havnt gelled yet. I lost Lucas Romero and niklas stark in the summer (both had release fees) if I can stay up I'll be amazed.

• 3 weeks later...

Started again, and taken over a Forest side that finished 17th in the Championship in 15/16 for the 16/17 season.

Got rid of a lot of high earners, and brought in some young talent and experience to help guide the team.

Settled on a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 formation, which I want to be tough to break down, but good going forward.

Signings so far are -

FKK9z7e.jpg

Tserberidis, Rautio, Robinson and Kirk are all ones I aim to have do well in the future (in fact, Tserberidis was capped by Greece in the summer, and has gone on loan to the SPL to get some experience), Lazo was a Real Madrid Castilla graduate, who needs some refinement, and Goldar came through at Celta.

I'm looking for a centre half to come in, as I've just sold Hobbs, and Wilson has torn his hamstring.

Season One

2015/16

Championship

Expectations:

Championship: Mid -Table Finish

League Cup 3rd Round

FA Cup: 4th Round

Long term injuries to Assombalonga, Cohen and Reid meant that realistically we were looking for a top half finish going into January when we would come out of the embargo and could hopefully sign a couple of quality players to push on for play-offs.

Transfers In:

Marco Motta (£0), Julian Green (6 Month Loan), Jesse Lingard (6 Month Loan, Michu (£0)

Transfers Out:

Kelvin Wilson (£275k), David Vaughan (£75k), Tyler Walker (Loan), Roger Riera (Loan), O Burke (Loan)

With the club being under a transfer embargo I was limited to signing free transfers that did not require an agent fee. The only pre-season signing was Marco Motta on a free transfer to provide back up and hopefully a bit of competition for Eric Lichaj at RB.

Transfers.png

Season Review

Final League Position: Second (Promotion)

Capital One Cup: (2nd Round)

FA Cup: (4th Round)

After a steady start to the season in the league we were competing for a play-off position, Lansbury and Osborn noticeably impressing. It was clear that we were short of goals with Oliveria, Blackstock and O’Grady seemingly not up to the task of hitting double figures for the season. It was a struggle to sign a better rated striker in January and so Julian Green, Jesse Lingard and Michu all came in to hopefully add a better threat from midfield and the wide areas. Assombalonga’s return saw us turn a draws into wins from Mid-March and after a great run of 7 wins from the final 9 games we overtook Derby to clinch 2nd and promotion to the Premier League after 16 long years.

Table.png

Season 2016/17

Premier League

Expectations:

Premier League: Avoid Relegation

League Cup: 4th Round

FA Cup: 5th Round

The aim was to simply stay up this season, wasn’t interested in either of the cups as long as we finished 17th or higher. If we kept everyone fit then maybe we could push towards the top half, maybe.

Transfers In:

Lucas Lima (£10m), Andros Townsend (Loan then £9.75m), Gabriel Paulista (£8.75m), Christian Benteke (£8.25m), Patrick Bamford (£5m), Joe Cartwright (£86k), Onur Kivrak (£0), Kevin Prince Boateng (£0), Florian Lejeuene (£0), Renato Sanches (Loan, Alexandre Pato (Loan), Paddy McNair (Loan)

Transfers Out:

Dylan Burns (£525k), Robert Tesche (Released), Andy Reid (Released), Dexter Blackstock (Released), Oliver Burke (Loan), Tyler Walker (Loan), Matt Mills (Loan), Dimitar Evitmov (Loan), Danny Fox (Loan)

Trans.png

Was initially only given a transfer budget of around £6/7M to stay up and so I brought in Kivrak, Boateng and Lejuene on free’s with Bamford signing for £5m which was probably a litte too much. I was 9th in January and so the board offered me £30M if I could deliver a mid-table finish – and so in came in Lima, Townsend, Paulista and Benteke. A few players left that hadn’t really played much in last seasons promotion campaign after their contracts weren’t renewd.

Final League Position: 14th

FA Cup: (4th Round)

We started well in the league but it was clear to see that we lacked goals, plenty of draws with missed chances were starting to become a regular occasion which worried me that we could slip towards the bottom three. However a great run from the start of November saw us push up into the top 10, allowing me to splash extra funds on some big name signings. Ultimately with a small squad they struggled towards the end of the season with fatigue and injuries playing a big part. We should of hit the top 10 but 14th is a good position to build upon next year, a new CB and DM are clearly required!

Table.png

Season 2017/18

Premier League

Expectations:

Premier League: Mid-Table Finish

After last season’s final position of 14th the board wanted another mid-table finish, but providing I could get 2/3 quality additions in the right area’s then we should be able to finish inside the top 10.

Transfers In:

Nacer Chadli (£17.25m), Chidiebere Nwakali (£16.5m), Charlie Austin (£9m), Andrew Robertson (£6.75m), Danny Ings (£5m), Stefan Bell (£4.2m), Miroslav Stoch (£4.5m), Sidney Sam (£1.5m), Declan Rudd (£850k), Wes Morgan (£35k), Ramires (Loan), David Fernandes (Loan)

Transfers Out:

Kevin Prince Boateng (£6m),Patrick Bamford (£3m), Michael Mancienne (£275k), Matt Mills (£71k), Danny Fox (£0), Matty Fryatt (£0), Marco Motta (£0), Tyler Walker (Loan), Oliver Burke (Loan), Jamie Paterson (Loan)

Transfers.png

Benteke had a release clause of £17.25m and so off to Arsenal he went, it did allow me to bring in and Charlie Austin who banged in 13 since his arrival in January. Ramires was signing of the season on loan from Chelsea, I wanted to make it permanent in Jan but they asked for £30M plus which didn’t provide much value for a 31 year old.

Final League Position: 8th

Capital One Cup: (Runners Up)

FA Cup: (Quarter Final)

A fairly consistent season from start to finish, the defence looked much more solid with the addition of Stefan Bell and Charlie Austin more than proved himself a worthy replacement for Christian Benteke. We came so close to silverware losing 2-0 in the League Cup final to Chelsea, which would of given us European football next season too! Overall a good campaign where we continued to improve and made good additions to the squad. With one or two key signings I think we could break into the top 5/6 and qualify for Europe next season. Lansbury earned his first England call up and was a half time substitute in the World Cup final, unfortunately Spain beat us 2-0.

Tables.png

Great work nffc1991. Your updates are making me want to start again but I know I need to hold out until the new update comes out.

Thanks, I'm off to the Middle East next month and really fancy a crack at the UAE leagues so going to keep going with this save until then.

Season 2018/19

Premier League

Expectations:

Premier League: Mid-Table Finish

The board wanted another mid-table finish despite us finishing 8th, the budget they offered was barely better if I requested a top half finish and so I left expectations as the board saw fit.

Transfers In:

Jack Wilshere (£11.25m), Denys Garmash (£15m), Sergiy Krytsov (10m), Egidio Berti (Free), Bas Rosink (Free), Gerard Deulofeu (Loan), Sergi Samper (Loan)

Transfers Out:

Florian Lejuene (£1.5m), Britt Assmobalonga (£1.2m), Jamie Paterson (£250k), Jamie Ward (£185k), Walker (Loan), Berti (Loan), Rosink (Loan), Burke (Loan)

Due to our relatively low wage expenditure I managed to free up enough funds to bring in 3 big signings in Wilshere, Garmash and Krystov which should add real quality in the defence and midfield. I was happy with the 2 loan signings we made which should compete for first team places and two youngsters on free’s who would be loaned out for the season. 3/4 back up players left to ensure we remained under the wage budget in addition to youth players going out to gain some experience.

REview.png

Final League Position: 8th

FA Cup: (Semi Final)

We were placed in the top 5 for the majority of the season only to slip towards the end again which saw us finish 8th, again. Not a bad season but I had hoped to push into Europe, and really we should have done. We missed Benteke’s goals and with Austin being injured for 2/3 of the campaign we relied heavily on the midfield’s contribution. I think we are not far away from pushing into the top 6 or so but need a clinical striker which ofcourse don't come cheap, hopefully next year's budget is enough to grab one!

Squad.png

Career Progress

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

100px-Nottingham_Forest_logo.svg.png

Nottingham Forest FC

2015-2016 Season

Sky Bet Championship

Pre-Season-End of December

Pre-Season

The start of pre-season is tough as Forest boss as you have no money to sign any players and you're under a transfer embargo. Due to the difficulty SI have faced coding it, Forest can only sign free agents and not loans. So there is a slight difference to real life restrictions. Countering the previous comment, SI haven't coded the fact that we can also have only 24 senior players over the age of 21 who have played 5+ games and we're restricted to paying no more than £10k per week in player wages. The squad also contains a number of key players on long term injuries. Some of which won't play a game all season.

With this in mind, my squad was going to remain largely unchanged unless I could get rid of one man. That one man was Danny Fox. I don't rate him as a footballer and I somehow managed to get £250k for him and shift his £20k per week wages from the club. Ipswich the unlucky party involved. With us now being able to sign 2 new players with the free spaces. Dorus de Vries also kicked up a fuss about leaving for Holland so when FC Twente made a suitable offer of £235k, I happily accepted.

Four new players eventually joined and they were Abdul Razak(MC), Will Packwood(DR/MC/DC), Dale Jennings(AML/R) and Luke Simpson(GK). Luke Simpson will be no more than a back up after I enjoyed managing him on FM15. The rest will provide us with some good options even though they're not the best players in the world.

The squad is blessed with a number of good youngsters so I allowed quite a few to depart on loans for the season in order for them to gain first team football. However, there are quite a few still remaining within the first team squads. The best youngsters at the club are: Oliver Burke, Ben Osborn, Tyler Walker, Dimi Evtimov, Anel Ahmedhodzic, Ben Brereton and Kieran Hayes. The following players are out on loan: Frederik Nielsen, Alex Iacovitti and Joe Worrall. One youngster who could be leaving us is Dylan Burns as he's unable to gain a work permit for his new deal. Recently I've persuaded to look for clubs when I can send players on loan to gain work permits so hopefully that proves successful.

With transfers limited, I felt that we'd be best of trying to arrange as many friendlies during pre-season as possible. My preferred pre-season set-up is to play games on Saturday and Wednesdays in order to get the squad match fit and accustomed to my tactics. I decided that we'd set up with three possible tactics and they were 4-3-2-1(Wingers), 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1. We'd look to play a defensive, fast counter game where we'd put the opposition under pressure. In total I was able to play 9 games as we won 7 and lost 2. Admittedly all games were against 'lesser' teams but within them games we had a training camp in Albufeira where squad morale increased.

League

In the league we've done better than expected. We're sat 5th in the table having picked up 37 points from our first 24 games. Despite having a defensive mentality for most games, we've only managed to win 9 of our 24 games so far whilst we've drawn 10 and lost 5. The two results you can't see are the 1-0 victory against Leeds and the 2-0 loss to Cardiff. There have been some good results in there but there have also been some stinkers where we haven't turned up. The three that spring to mind are the Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff games.

Capital One Cup

In the Capital One Cup we had a great run to the quarter finals where we eventually lost to Leicester in extra time. As expected, Leicester dominated the early stages of the game before we gathered moment to become the better side. We took the lead on 56 minutes through Ben Osborn before Jamie Vardy equalised on 69 minutes as Leicester had a good 5 minute spell again. Despite us regaining control the game went to extra time where Vardy scored with a great volley on 108 minutes. Jamie Ward had the chance to equalise late on for us but a quality save from Kasper Schmeichel saw them progress where they'll face Villa in the semi-final. If Nélson Oliveira hadn't of gone off injured then I'm confident he would have scored to take the tie to penalties.

Other News

In other news, I got an notification after the first game of the season that Jamie Ward was considering retirement due to an ongoing medical condition with his hamstrings after he picked up an injury. Financially we're losing money but we're still expected to come out of the transfer embargo at the end of the season. Chris Cohen, Ben Osborn, Eric Lichaj and Oliver Burke have all signed new deals whilst Kelvin Wilson is considering a new deal. We're still struggling with injuries as Bojan Jokic, Dexter Blackstock, Oliver Burke, Jamie Ward, Ryan Mendes, Nélson Oliveira and David Vaughan all miss large parts of the season. Nélson and Oliver are still out for a considerable time yet.

Season 2019/20

Premier League

Expectations:

Premier League: Top Half Finish

League Cup: Semi Final

FA Cup: Quarter Final

The board increased their expectations to a top half finish and I was hopeful of going one better and qualifying for Europe.

Transfers In:

Sergio Diaz (£30m), Roberto Firminio (£25m), Christian Benteke (£8.25m), Charlie Taylor (£9.5m), De Arrascaeta (£2.5m), Jon Flanagan (£1.9m), Fabian Frei (£0), Lachlan Harvey (£0), Uke Ugbo (£0), Kenedy (Loan), Sergi Samper (Loan), Nicolas Sandoval (Loan), Dan Crowley (Loan)

Transfers Out:

Denys Garmash (£25m), Andrew Robertson (£20m), Danny Ings (£6m), Adam Taggart (£5m), Alex Iavcotti (625k)

Unfortunately Man United and Arsenal came calling for two of my best players in Garmash and Robertson, but recouping £45m for the pair of them enabled me to bring in better quality in other area’s. Benteke re-signed after making a tidy profit as well as big money splashes on Firmino and potential wonder kid Sergio Diaz. Flanagan and Frei turned out to be bargains and I let Ings and Taggart go with them not getting much of a game. The wage budget is now very close to the budget, but being well under in previous seasons gave me more flexibility in the market.

Final League Position: 6th

Capital One Cup: (4th Round)

FA Cup: (Semi Final)

Again we were placed in the top 5 for the majority of the season and ultimately finished 6th, finally qualifying for Europe after coming so close in the past 2 seasons. Charlie Taylor stepped in admirably for Robertson although we did miss Garmash’s in midfield, Diaz and Benteke rotated up front with Charlie Austin getting the odd sub appearance. I spent big this season (although did re-coup over £56m in sales – the squad should be settled for the next 2/3 seasons now but the defence will need investment sooner rather than later.

REVIEW.png

100px-Nottingham_Forest_logo.svg.png

Nottingham Forest FC

2015-2016 Season

Sky Bet Championship

January-May

League

Results - Table

The second half of the season couldn't have gotten off to a better start as we managed to beat Charlton 2-0. This sparked a 7 match unbeaten run. A lucky 4-1 win for Hull caused us little issues as we managed to put another 8 match unbeaten run together to sit top of the table. Unfortunately we then decided to lose 5 of the last 6 games of the season as we collected 1 point to finish 12th in the table.

FA Cup

We got a tough draw in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup as we were expected to face Sunderland. Despite them being in the Premier League I was confident of getting a result. Despite an even game in the first match at The City Ground we could only muster a 1-1 draw. At The Stadium of Light we weren't at the races and they won comfortably 2-0.

Other News

I allowed Jamie Ward to depart for £750k to Brighton as he was moaning about a lack of first team football and I couldn't give him that. Matt Mills departed to Aberdeen on loan for the rest of the season for the same reason. Just after the season had finished, Fawaz decided to pull the plug on the training and youth expansions due to a lack of funds before agreeing to the youth expansion again a week later when we'd got a bit more money after his cash injection of £4.8m. Our youth category remained at level 2. Financially up until Fawaz's cash injection we were over £4m in the red. The board have set the initial budgets at £300k per week for wages and a transfer budget of £278k.

Next Season

There's going to be a major overhaul of the squad as all of our loanees will be departing and they don't look like they'll be returning. There's going to be some tough decisions over Andy Reid and David Vaughan as I don't think we have the ability to carry them for the coming season. I've got my eye on a number of players so I'm hoping I can shape my squad with some quality in order for us to attempt to reach the play-offs.

I've just taken over as Forest manager, started as unemployed and took over with them 24th in the league after 12 games. We won the first game 2-1, but have lost twice and drawn once since then.

Injuries seem to be absolutely wiping the squad out, Blackstock broke his leg in my first game, Lansbury is now out for 3 months. Vaughan has just come back from injury but is wanting a move away.

With the lack of quality I'm thinking more of a defensive approach will be better. We have such a lack of quality in central midfield that I'm playing Mancienne in there at the moment, he is actually performing quite well and scored both goals in my first game.

Hopefully once we get out of the transfer embargo the Chairman will pump some funds in and I can improve the squad. How long does the embargo normally last?

• 1 month later...
I've just taken over as Forest manager, started as unemployed and took over with them 24th in the league after 12 games. We won the first game 2-1, but have lost twice and drawn once since then.

Injuries seem to be absolutely wiping the squad out, Blackstock broke his leg in my first game, Lansbury is now out for 3 months. Vaughan has just come back from injury but is wanting a move away.

With the lack of quality I'm thinking more of a defensive approach will be better. We have such a lack of quality in central midfield that I'm playing Mancienne in there at the moment, he is actually performing quite well and scored both goals in my first game.

Hopefully once we get out of the transfer embargo the Chairman will pump some funds in and I can improve the squad. How long does the embargo normally last?

The whole season... Good luck, you can make a good squad only on the injured players itself..

My first Nottingham season was pure survival, and an unexpected 1st place, after I signed on some transfer-free players (Demy de Zeeuw, Dwight Tiendalli) and Oliveira & Jamie Ward as the absolute stars of the squad (both scored over 30 goals..)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Ive just completed my first season with forest, finished top of the championship and now looking to strengthen the squad for a push for the top half of the premiership. Already got some young quality brought in the form of Balantas and Breel Embolo. Anyways was wondering if anyone has had any luck with retaining Dylan Burns, we've appealed twice now and there doesn't seem to be any chance.

Hi,

Just after finishing my first season with Forest and managed to finish top of the championship. After strengthening the squad, for a push for the top half of the premiership, with around 30 million spent on transfers including Breel Embolo and Balantas, I was wondering though if anyone has had any luck getting a work permit for Dylan Burns.

• 1 month later...

Is it one of the hardest challenges in Championship? I managed to keep Forest around play-offs for most of the season but now the form has dropped and I am looking to stay in top half and build for the next season when I aim to win the league. Do you think it's absolutely necessary to keep hold of any player at the club? So far I think Lansbury, Osborn, Burke (quite inconsistent) and Assombalonga will be in first team next season, I am looking to offload the contract expiring players aswell as fringe players like Blackstock, Fox or Mancienne. Not sure if I can get Nelson Oliveira in the second season on loan (at least), he's been decent, scored 13 goals just as much as surprisingly Tyler Walker scored.

I also need to re-think my tactic a bit, make it more solid in defence and score more goals.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Why can't I screenshot in game? I think its because of my laptop error.

This is my current top 4 Standings:

1. Man United     37     24     7     6     79

2. Man City          36     25     3     8     78

3. Nott Forest     36     23     5      8     74

4. Chelsea            36    21     9     6      72

This is my second season, this position I can achieve, is because of my lucky signing

I've signed Asmir Begovic for 11.25 million and Salomon Kalou for 5.25 Million.

Archived