Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Loud Fans/Poor Performance/Overheating on Mac

How many leagues are you running in what sized database for your effected save?

12 Leagues in 5 countries with a small database

What resolution is your Mac set to via the System Preferences?

1366 x 768

Are you running in Full Screen (if so, what Resolution), Windowed or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode?

Windowed

Are you running the game with Retina Mode ticked?

There is no Retina Mode

What graphics quality does it recommend your system to run at?

Very high

What graphics quality do you set your system to (High, Medium, Low etc)?

I have tried all settings. Currently using Very Low but fan kicks in as soon as the match kicks off.

The fan also kicks in in 2D mode.

If you lower the graphics quality does it make any difference to the fans/performance?

No. Fan starts straight away.

How does 3D run in game - does it lag, skip etc or does it play without any performance issue?

No lag. Good performance.

What temperature does your system run at when running matches? (You can use TGPro on a 3 day trial to see, but bear in mind this program is not made by or supported by Sports Interactive) - https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

Not tested this.

Can you also please send your System Information to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username? Details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthr...1#post10524658

Only one and large database.

Default. Looks like 1280*800

Are you running in Full Screen (if so, what Resolution), Windowed or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode?

Full screen.

Yes.

Very high.

Medium.

If you lower the graphics quality does it make any difference to the fans/performance?

Very little.

How does 3D run in game - does it lag, skip etc or does it play without any performance issue?

No lags at all.

What temperature does your system run at when running matches? (You can use TGPro on a 3 day trial to see, but bear in mind this program is not made by or supported by Sports Interactive) - https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

Haven't tried that.

Can you also please send your System Information to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username? Details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthr...1#post10524658

Not yet but will do.

Is this issue resolved as it is not stickied anymore? Because, as it is now, this game is unplayable on a Macbook Pro 2015 due to the issues in the OP. Surprised it is removed as a sticky, as it is such a well-known issue.

My game is running fine, gets abit hot but it's not unplayable. Fans have calmed down since the last time I played and the slow response times of my Mac are gone

i'm very positive, always supportive when it comes to everything Football Manager but my patience is running out soon...

Almost 3 weeks since release, 7 weeks since beta release. Have started Football Manager, tried the match engine but haven't started a serious save yet. Like a drug addict without drugs is the feeling hehe.

I always supporting you SI but this is not good. I'm a longtime hardcore FM player and after 7 weeks of potential gaming i have played 1 hour instead of 300+ hours.

/ Frustrated.

i'm very positive, always supportive when it comes to everything Football Manager but my patience is running out soon...

Almost 3 weeks since release, 7 weeks since beta release. Have started Football Manager, tried the match engine but haven't started a serious save yet. Like a drug addict without drugs is the feeling hehe.

I always supporting you SI but this is not good. I'm a longtime hardcore FM player and after 7 weeks of potential gaming i have played 1 hour instead of 300+ hours.

/ Frustrated.

Same here. Always been positive, still am. But this is a huge problem. Just tried to play now: Looked through my squad, gave some new contracts, pressed continue once, back to inbox. Then the fans start, as well as it got hot. Sometimes I may play a game, but then I have to quit afterwards...

Same here. Always been positive, still am. But this is a huge problem. Just tried to play now: Looked through my squad, gave some new contracts, pressed continue once, back to inbox. Then the fans start, as well as it got hot. Sometimes I may play a game, but then I have to quit afterwards...

i'm still positive. SI does football manager gaming like no one. Close to perfect!

If we can get a fix for this soon everything will be forgotten in that exact moment.

Oh? Which settings are you using? I tried the workaround Lucas suggested, but no luck. I even turned off 3D.

Playing at default settings.

Has this issue been solved by SI since it's not a sticky anymore? I'm glad you guys are positive but I got a bad feeling about the silence from SI about this problem...

It's still being looked into as per my last response. If there is news we will let you know. Thanks.

1 league - 12,000 player database

Scaled

Windowed mode as you suggested

Yes

High

??? Don't get this ?

Nope

Runs OK but the fans run extremely loud and the mac gets very very very hot !

103 Degrees !!

Done

I am actually shocked that this is happening, its a 2 day old Mac, all of the required processors, RAM, Storage fits the game requirements and it still performs like this, but without a doubt I can't take the game back, shock ! Its clearly damaging the laptop working that hard regardless

Patience running out , this should be priority by SI and clearly its not. I can play FM right now, slow but without any issues on a old laptop I found with Intel I3 1.8 ghz processor, 4gb ram and intel 4000 graphic card. But I Cant play on my Macbook Pro Intel I7 2.4 quad core, 8gb ram, nvdia geforce 1.24 gb. What a joke.

The whole manner in which way this has been handled by SI is nothing short of a disgrace. No doubt this post and the few above will be deleted after a condescending message from SI saying they're still looking in to it.

Running all 6 English leagues with a large db and over 15,500 players

Scaled

Windowed Mode

3D switched off

3D switched off.

3D switched off.

I don;t run 3D, always only play in 2D

103 degrees

Can you also please send your System report to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username?

No system report errors as yet, just an incredibly slow performance resulting in eventual restart.

Big shame this, really looking forward to the game, lets hope SI and Apple coordinate a fix quickly.

A few users have suggested there is an issue with some Mac setups running the game. To narrow down this issue, if you are encountering this issue please answer the following within this thread:

Can you also please send your System Information to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username? Details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437015-Football-Manager-2016-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Pre-Release-Beta?p=10524658&viewfull=1#post10524658

Many thanks.

How many leagues are you running in what sized database for your effected save?: 12 nations (with a lower league database but it the same with or without it), large database, 75,000 players.

What resolution is your Mac set to via the System Preferences? 2560x1600 it seems, on a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13.3" screen

Are you running in Full Screen (if so, what Resolution), Windowed or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode?: Full screen, 1280x800.

Are you running the game with Retina Mode ticked? Yes

What graphics quality does it recommend your system to run at? High

What graphics quality do you set your system to (High, Medium, Low etc)? High

If you lower the graphics quality does it make any difference to the fans/performance? No

How does 3D run in game - does it lag, skip etc or does it play without any performance issue? Fine, mostly, maybe some slight lag but there is loading time when going from 2D to 3D

What temperature does your system run at when running matches? (You can use TGPro on a 3 day trial to see, but bear in mind this program is not made by or supported by Sports Interactive) - https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/: When loading screens, its around 97oc on the CPU and 95oc on the GPU (assuming this is the GFX CPU), and in games it is around the same

C

Can you also please send your System Information to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username? Details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthr...1#post10524658 sent Laptop overheating - selek101

Plays normally but with poor performance for the laptop and very noisy fans. The laptop and everything is very slow when screens are loading like loading the save or moving on days, similar but not as bad when playing matches and fan is very loud.

Thanks

There's no more news at this time, but we will update you all soon as we can.

I'm now using a free app called AppPolice that limits the cpu for running processes. Limiting FM16 to 60% seems to minimise any fan noise. Obviously processing is a bit slower but it works for me at this stage.

I'll try testing at a few other percentages to see the results.

I'm playing the touch version on Mac and iPad going between both,what I don't get is my iPad doesn't get hot and obviously doesn't have a fan and in effect it's running the same game,also battery drain on my Mac is scary just playing one game uses 30/40% battery

I'm now using a free app called AppPolice that limits the cpu for running processes. Limiting FM16 to 60% seems to minimise any fan noise. Obviously processing is a bit slower but it works for me at this stage.

I'll try testing at a few other percentages to see the results.

Did you download that app from MacUpdate? If so be careful, theres been reports that a lot of the apps on there are laced with malware and i've just tried to download the app from there and its been suspended.

Sorry for not answering all the questions as I just want to raise a slightly different point. I'm running FM2016 (mostly Touch version) on a late-2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz Core i7 with 16 GB RAM. I run the 3D matches in low quality and it generally seems fine. On the higher settings, it does the whole fan/heat thing (as did FM2015).

However, the point I want to raise is the load the game puts on the system during loading/saving. When the game saves, I usually tab to Safari to pass the time (I know, but I guess it's habit!). However, in the few seconds the game is saving (or minutes when creating a new career), the machine becomes completely unusable. I have never known any other software I use to put such a strain on the system. It is like the machine is incapable of multi-tasking and grinds to a halt. I don't know if this is disk access (SSD) or CPU issues, but FM2016 seems to suck the life out of the system during saving/loading/starting new games.

I'm done.

Your game is destroying my brand new Mac. it's been working perfect for the past 2 weeks, and now I need a new hard drive. Second time in 2 months. Thanks very much

I've skimmed the thread and haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but there is an application called FMC Fan Control that will allow you to raise the speed of the fans to keep your Macbook cooler. Obviously this should be used sparingly, but there are no downsides to using it occasionally when things get extreme – as long as you restore the speed of the fans when the game is off, and as long as you're not playing the game for 12 hours straight with the fans at max speed.

Running five leagues with a medium db and 40k players

Default. Looks like 1280x800

Windowed Mode or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode

Very High

Very Low

No.

I use 2D.

Not tried yet.

Can you also please send your System report to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username?

Not tried yet.

The game gets really really slow at processing. Reaaaaaally slow. And the Mac also gets hot. rMBP 13" Mid 2015.

As stated in previous posts, we're still very much looking into this and will update you when we can. Thanks for those that have sent in information to help us with this.

I'm now closing the thread as our instructions in this thread have been consistently ignored.

I'd like to thank those of you that have sent in information, and for those of you that still have system & game information to give to us, to read the following quotes:

A few users have suggested there is an issue with some Mac setups running the game. To narrow down this issue, if you are encountering this issue please answer the following within this thread:

Can you also please send your System Information to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username? Details here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437015-Football-Manager-2016-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Pre-Release-Beta?p=10524658&viewfull=1#post10524658

Many thanks.

Just an example on how to answer:

Running two leagues with a small db and 10,000 players

More space, looks like 1900x1200

Windowed Mode

High

High

Only if I lower it to low, it's the same on Medium

For me, when running on High there is slight lag

GPU runs at about 88C and the CPU runs at 94C

Email sent with title of 'Overheating FM16 - Neil Brock'

Please send any information to the email address listed.

For those of you looking to remedy the issue in the meantime, please read the following post:

Retina screens have a *lot* more pixels. If you were to run the game at the same resolution as the other machine at 100% standard resolution then you should see that your machine performs better. I understand that at this resolution the game would be very small, which is why on Retina machines you would use a zoom option.

The higher the zoom option, the more power that demands (because text and images are increased in size). You can relate this, on a basic level to images on your computer. An image at 200 x 200 would be smaller in file size and uses less system memory and resources than one at 400 x 400.

With games generally (and this is not specific to Football Manager), on a Retina machine you will have the game rendering at a much larger size than a non-Retina machine. Generally this is where your GPU will be doing the 'work'. More of this 'work' is done when there are lots of moving assets, animations, etc. On top of that, games will also be performing many calculations (CPU), often in the millions. The two chips working together will produce heat. On integrated systems, the GPU and CPU are on the same chip so would be much more over worked than a system that has a dedicated graphics card.

So to answer your question, you're not likely making a straight comparison because on your machine you'll be using zoom levels and running the game at effectively a much higher resolution than him. Depending on your graphics cards, there could be a tradeoff between the two machines if you were to have an integrated graphics card, and he a dedicated one.

With Football Manager's preferences there are a number of options to tweak, bearing this in mind:

Screen Mode: Windowed mode as opposed to Full Screen or Maximised Windowed Borderless will use less resources on your system.

Size of Text & Images: The higher the 'zoom', the higher the resolution and definition of the UI. (And the match, with Retina mode 'Off').

Rendering mode: Software Rendering will place the rendering demands on your CPU, as opposed to GPU assisted. This would generally be used to switch to software rendering on lower end machines.

Match Preferences: Going from Very Low to Very High on 3D will affect the definition and demands of the Match. On very low, the crowd are no longer rendered (as opposed to FM2015). With 3D off, using 2D classic will have even less demands on your system.

I hope that answers your questions and gives you some direction to experiment with settings while we are looking into this, including the default graphics recommendations for these machines.

For now, we advise people who have sent us information to try using these options to find the results best for them while we look into this issue. We will update you as soon as we can.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation.