Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Loud Fans/Poor Performance/Overheating on Mac

Thanks for your quick reply. Its not a case of being hostile, but more out of frustration. I've spend most my working life working with computers most of which have been spent designing software...

So this is why I find it very hard to believe a 4 year old windows machine can cope with the match engine but a brand spanking new mac gets dangerously hot and I think thats why the guys on here are annoyed. If that was happening to a piece of software I was working on I would admit there was an issue and reassure the client that the issue will be resolved.

I appreciate that your offering ideas to limit the issue, not that they seem to work but what people on here want to hear is... YES there is an issue and we are working to resolve it because lowering the graphics, playing in 3d or not playing at all is not resolving the issue.

At the end of the day, playing the game when the temperature of the CPU gets up to 90 degrees c for the duration of the 3d match engine games (Even with low graphic settings) will damage the mac and shorten its life.

I can provide my mac spec as you have requested but it is the same spec as other have provided many times before so I don't see how that will help a fix.

The suggestions dosen't help in my case, can't speak for others. However the suggestions are noted and appreciated.

The major problem I have with SI is the lack of ownership of the issue. Instead of excuses just say "hey we messed up and working on it with the utmost urgency". Instead it seems we are getting the runaround.

Maybe the issue is not on every macbook but i bet there are plenty out there that are playing with computers that are extremely hot and don't write here. If some of these users damage their machine it will be worse PR for FM in the long term...

The suggestions dosen't help in my case, can't speak for others. However the suggestions are noted and appreciated.

The major problem I have with SI is the lack of ownership of the issue. Instead of excuses just say "hey we messed up and working on it with the utmost urgency". Instead it seems we are getting the runaround.

Maybe the issue is not on every macbook but i bet there are plenty out there that are playing with computers that are extremely hot and don't write here. If some of these users damage their machine it will be worse PR for FM in the long term...

In our tests we've found that Football Manager 2016 performance on Macs is comparable to other titles on Steam with regards to temperatures and fans. Indeed, the results are quite similar to playing HD video through Chrome as well. There is no 'lack of ownership' of the issue, we are investigating the issue with the feedback you've given. Rest assured, Users won't 'damage' their machines, the temperatures are running well within operating specifications (and not at all dangerous). At the end of the day, Football Manager is very GPU and CPU intensive that will push machines.

I would advise that users exercise the various options and suggestions we've given on this, while we continue to look into this and what can be done. Thanks.

The suggestions given have no effect at all for me :( play in 2d and it still makes my Mac run amazing slow, and I still have to wipe the hard drive to get full use of my Mac back

The suggestions given have no effect at all for me :( play in 2d and it still makes my Mac run amazing slow, and I still have to wipe the hard drive to get full use of my Mac back

For help with particular cases, a separate thread or more information would be good. I know from our brief threads with you that you have a low end graphics card which will be a factor in the performance issues you are experiencing. I don't however, know what model Mac you have to advise further.

For help with particular cases, a separate thread or more information would be good. I know from our brief threads with you that you have a low end graphics card which will be a factor in the performance issues you are experiencing. I don't however, know what model Mac you have to advise further.

I can play maybe 10 games without any problems at all, and then random times after a random amount of play time things go very slow, and it's not just on the game, it stays slow after I exit the game, and it only ever has this problem once fm16 is installed onto the laptop

I can play maybe 10 games without any problems at all, and then random times after a random amount of play time things go very slow, and it's not just on the game, it stays slow after I exit the game, and it only ever has this problem once fm16 is installed onto the laptop

That sounds like memory usage on your machine. With 4Gb RAM on your machine after a session of playing Football Manager and other usage on your machine it doesn't sound so unusual that the system would feel slow. In that case a restart will always help. In the longer term, more RAM would be beneficial for your system.

That sounds like memory usage on your machine. With 4Gb RAM on your machine after a session of playing Football Manager and other usage on your machine it doesn't sound so unusual that the system would feel slow. In that case a restart will always help. In the longer term, more RAM would be beneficial for your system.

Is there much difference compared to fm15 with regards to RAM etc? As that ran perfect on the same Mac

Is there much difference compared to fm15 with regards to RAM etc? As that ran perfect on the same Mac

A games will have a increase in demands when a newer title comes out. As for comparing previous versions to the latest one there could have been other changes to your system since then such as a newer OS or upgraded software that you use at the same time as FM (Chrome/Safari for instance).

A games will have a increase in demands when a newer title comes out. As for comparing previous versions to the latest one there could have been other changes to your system since then such as a newer OS or upgraded software that you use at the same time as FM (Chrome/Safari for instance).

Ahh I see, I'll have to look into some upgrades then, only down side is once the machine runs slow after playing the game, only thing I can do is completely wipe the hard drive. Thanks for the info!

Ahh I see, I'll have to look into some upgrades then, only down side is once the machine runs slow after playing the game, only thing I can do is completely wipe the hard drive. Thanks for the info!

You don't need to wipe the hard drive at all. When it gets slower after a prolonged session of use thats because system memory has been used up. Just restart your system, thats all you would need to do. To future proof yourself in future, thats where the extra RAM comes in.

You don't need to wipe the hard drive at all. When it gets slower after a prolonged session of use thats because system memory has been used up. Just restart your system, thats all you would need to do. To future proof yourself in future, thats where the extra RAM comes in.

The slowness has only disappeared once after restarting normally, every other time I've had to wipe it clean, I am planning to take the laptop in to get checked before I do anything else, just to make sure there's no problem with it. But I'll try what you say tonight when I'm home, thanks very much

The slowness has only disappeared once after restarting normally, every other time I've had to wipe it clean, I am planning to take the laptop in to get checked before I do anything else, just to make sure there's no problem with it. But I'll try what you say tonight when I'm home, thanks very much

Irrespective of FM, I would definitely have that looked at, as any RAM being used would be freed up once you shut down/restarted (as would be the case for all programs).

First: I edit HD video on the same MacBook with no problems. I also play other games, and the fan is never this loud. There was no problem playing FM15 on the same computer, so there must be something about this game.

How many leagues are you running in what sized database for your effected save?

It doesn't matter, happens with one league, happens with 15 leagues.

What resolution is your Mac set to via the System Preferences?

2880 x 1800.

Are you running in Full Screen (if so, what Resolution), Windowed or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode?

Yes, full screen (2880 x 1800). But it happens in windowed mode too.

What graphics quality does it recommend your system to run at?

High.

What graphics quality do you set your system to (High, Medium, Low etc)?

Tried them all.

If you lower the graphics quality does it make any difference to the fans/performance?

No.

How does 3D run in game - does it lag, skip etc or does it play without any performance issue?

I don't use 3D.

What temperature does your system run at when running matches?

Don't know, doesn't seem to be so hot. CPU usage around 50-80 percent.

Can you also please send your System report to forums@sigames.com and include your forum username?

Yes.

Aside from the advice that SI is giving to solve this problem, is there likely to be any hardcore change in the experience of FM overheating on mac? For all intents and purposes the game is 'playable' but the experience the overheating creates is so unbearable it makes the overall concept of playing FM16 far less appealing - I haven't loaded it up since it overheated.

I had a similar problem with FM15 with overheating, albeit not as bad but still unconformable (without really running many leagues and depth), so it's a fairly historical problem that we're looking at here. I appreciate SI's problem here that Macs aren't built for games - fair enough, but where does that leave us going forward?

• Does SI build a lighter version of FM17 on Mac designed to provide a better experience for mac gamers?
  • Does SI just be honest and say the game is only going to get more advanced going forward and mac gamers are better off running FM off a Steam console or buying an Alienware PC?
  • Or does SI plan to just offer advice on managing the problem rather than actually solving it?

An honest answer (even an 'I don't know yet') from SI would be appreciated here. I'd like to buy FM16 and don't want to write off future FMs forever but some advice for a longer term plan from SI would be very useful here.

Many thanks

So football manager 2017 and beyond will be completely unplayable on a Mac then???? What a ridiculous answer.

It is playable - we've offered suggestions, all we can ask is that you try them. Fill out the feedback that's been asked in the OP and we will investigate. And yes, many improvements have been made from FM15 to FM16.

First: I've filled my feedback out and send this to you. I was the first guy right after the beta how told you from this problem. This is one month ago btw.

No it isn't playable in 3D. I've followed your suggestions, turn down graphic quality to very low and the resolution to 1024 x 768. When I then watch a match in 3D the cpu is getting over 100 C and the fan runs like crazy. This is damaging my brand new macbook pro. In 2D with highlight mode extended I can play, but when I watch a full match in 2D I get the same problems during the match (maybe a little bit later then in 3D). But was is a manger without the possibility to watch full matches? When you now say, that there a many graphical changes from fm15 to fm16 I would like to ask, where? Do you find that the graphic improve so much, that on the same machine FM15 runs 3D in high graphic quality smoothly and then fm16 can't run 3D? I don't think so.

Again, I've ask you that more than one time. Have you testet the 3D mode on a 2015 macbook pro and it runs? With which preferences? I don't believe, that you can play in 3D. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. I'm glad that you say SI will solve this issue. I hope this will work. But in the meanwhile you shouldn't say, that FM16 is playable in 3D on a macbook pro. It isn't and many customers here have the same experience.

For all intents and purposes the game is 'playable' but the experience the overheating creates is so unbearable it makes the overall concept of playing FM16 far less appealing - I haven't loaded it up since it overheated.

I had a similar problem with FM15 with overheating, albeit not as bad but still unconformable (without really running many leagues and depth), so it's a fairly historical problem that we're looking at here. I appreciate SI's problem here that Macs aren't built for games - fair enough, but where does that leave us going forward?

If the machine is suffering a thermal shutdown then please post a thread and I can look into your issue.

I haven't seen you post in this thread with the requested information, could you do that for me please?

If you have general feedback for the game the place for that is here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441348

So football manager 2017 and beyond will be completely unplayable on a Mac then???? What a ridiculous answer.

Not what I said at all, and your comment is not at all helpful or useful for this thread. Won't say so again, if you have general feedback for the game the place for that is here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441348

Any destructive comments/swipes will just be deleted from hereon in. This discussion is now just distracting the feedback needed to carry out the investigations to help you with your reported issues. Please only respond to the original OP from here. Thanks for bearing with us while we look into this.

If the machine is suffering a thermal shutdown then please post a thread and I can look into your issue.

I haven't seen you post in this thread with the requested information, could you do that for me please?

If you have general feedback for the game the place for that is here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441348

Thanks Lucas. Yeah as I said the game is 'playable' and therefore not having a thermal shutdown, just the overall experience of the hot macbook is incredibly annoying and makes for a bad FM 16 experience, which is why in this state I won't be buying the full game.

I'm happy to upload what you need but as I asked to one of your colleagues in the other forum can you please explain how this would benefit me? As I said in the post above, I'd just like to know how to plan for FM going forward. If you're just going to help us manage the problem for now, then maybe I need to invest in a PC/Steam Console going forward. Hope you can see my point of view and give me an honest answer.

Thanks a lot

Not what I said at all, and your comment is not at all helpful or useful for this thread. Won't say so again, if you have general feedback for the game the place for that is here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/441348

Any destructive comments/swipes will just be deleted from hereon in. This discussion is now just distracting the feedback needed to carry out the investigations to help you with your reported issues. Please only respond to the original OP from here. Thanks for bearing with us while we look into this.

Do what you like Lucas as I don't generally respond to threats that well, especially from someone representing a company I choose to spend my money with. Your handling of this whole sitiuation has been nothing more than shambolic. All I've asked for is transparancy and honesty which hasnt been that forth coming.

Have you actually taken a moment to have a look at the root cause of what has made someone like myself leave so called "destructive comments?" I personaly feel like I've been treated with nothing but contempt which I'd be more than happy to discuss with somone at a higher level.

Do what you like Lucas as I don't generally respond to threats that well, especially from someone representing a company I choose to spend my money with. Your handling of this whole sitiuation has been nothing more than shambolic. All I've asked for is transparancy and honesty which hasnt been that forth coming.

Have you actually taken a moment to have a look at the root cause of what has made someone like myself leave so called "destructive comments?" I personaly feel like I've been treated with nothing but contempt which I'd be more than happy to discuss with somone at a higher level.

I think it would be beneficial if you could calm down a little. SI are working hard to investigate the issue and find the root cause, but these things take time as there are a number of hardware configurations to test. I'm not sure what more transparency and honesty you seek - they are working on this and treating it as a serious issue, what's more to say?

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina myself and have found great improvements by disabling the Use Retina Display option and switching my resolution to Full Screen 1440x900. You may find that similar tinkering helps you out.

I see your a moderator? Please dont patronise me. I don't doubt they're investigating the root cause, my complaint along with others on this thread is the lack of ownership of this problem and the lack of communication coming from you and your colleagues is causing the trust issues.

I see your a moderator? Please dont patronise me. I don't doubt they're investigating the root cause, my complaint along with others on this thread is the lack of ownership of this problem and the lack of communication coming from you and your colleagues is causing the trust issues.

OK enough of this. Lucas has constantly been looking into this, and both he and Neil have been constantly communicating, you're not going to get much further up the chain than the two of them, that is ownership in it's self.

This help thread is no longer going to derailed.

I understand the frustration, but if people are not going to follow the OP, posts will be removed, if people insist on throwing abuse at Lucas, infractions will follow. Enough, thank you.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina myself and have found great improvements by disabling the Use Retina Display option and switching my resolution to Full Screen 1440x900. You may find that similar tinkering helps you out.

I've got the same laptop. You play 3D? Can you please say with which graphics quality you play and which highlight mode? Just to look if the same machine has the same performance.

Do you have TG Pro too? During a 3D Match which temperature does you cpu cores get? And which cpu percentage has FM? I think it could be helpful to see if you get the same performance or not.

I've got the same laptop. You play 3D? Can you please say with which graphics quality you play and which highlight mode? Just to look if the same machine has the same performance.

Do you have TG Pro too? During a 3D Match which temperature does you cpu cores get? And which cpu percentage has FM? I think it could be helpful to see if you get the same performance or not.

I don't have TG Pro (have no idea what it is :eek: ) but this is what I have:

MacBook Pro 11,1

Intel Core i7

3 GHz processor

16GB RAM

Intel Iris

1536 MB VRAM

Retina 2560x1600

My FM settings are:

Full screen 1440x900

Standard Size

GPU assisted

Retina Display is disabled

Matches are viewed in 3D and Graphics Quality is Medium, Frame Rate Automatic and all artefacts (sky, scenery, crowd and seats, weather effects, stadium and players) are ticked.

Highlight mode shouldn't be a factor, but I usually am on Comprehensive.

Hi,

I have lowered my settings to very low, unticked 3d, played in the smallest window mode possible and it still does it. I put all settings back to normal as you said its normal for fans to be used this way and my computer just shut down!! why would it do this? my mac is 5 days old.

Can i please have some positive feedback to why this is happening?

Thank you

Hi,

I have lowered my settings to very low, unticked 3d, played in the smallest window mode possible and it still does it. I put all settings back to normal as you said its normal for fans to be used this way and my computer just shut down!! why would it do this? my mac is 5 days old.

Thank you

Yes - please post your own thread and we will take it from there. I'd like to keep this thread clean with the feedback requested from the OP.

Hi,

Thank you

What happens if you turn Retina Display Off in the FM Preferences? You'll need to adjust your resolution (again in FM Preferences). The fan will invariably kick in still when it needs to, but as has already been stated (and dismissed in some cases), Macs simply are not really designed to run games so some enforced cooling is needed.

TGPro is the recommended tool from the first topic here to measure the temperature.

What temperature does your system run at when running matches? (You can use TGPro on a 3 day trial to see, but bear in mind this program is not made by or supported by Sports Interactive) - https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

I think highlight mode is a factor, because when you watch a full match the macbook has more to do then when you watch only the highlights.

My MacBook:

MacBook Pro 11,2

Intel Core i7

2,2 GHz processor

16GB RAM

Intel Iris

1536 MB VRAM

Retina 2560x1600

The same except ghz processor.

I was using the same preferences during the next match.

After 20 Minutes of in game match time I'm getting this advice (around 1-2 minutes playing time)

Bildschirmfoto2015-11-20um22.46.57.png

The CPU temperature is

Bildschirmfoto2015-11-20um22.47.20.png

And the CPU% is

Bildschirmfoto2015-11-20um22.47.56.png

The fan run's very fast, the MacBook is getting very hot (I must be careful touching the cassis).

So we've got nearly the same laptop and you don't have this issue? Can you confirm this?

I've dropped to Low from Medium Graphics, and barring some fan noise I don't have an issue that I'm worried about. Yes, the fan can get noisy when it needs to cool (note that I have one of those hard plastic cases for my MacBook with "feet" so air can always circulate under the MacBook, and I always play at a table rather than on my lap), but it seems OK to me.

sgevolker, in the top right of the screen should be the RPM value and system temp on the menu bar. These values are helpful also.

It certainly looks like in your case that the GPU is working much harder, with it being an integrated card will be a factor as the VRAM is shared memory. This is mind, I'd suggest Low or Very Low for your machine.

The results you posted look like this may be the settings on Medium and in Full Screen. Zoom Level could also be a factor as well.

Tinkering these downwards (with Retina ON), are something to try as well with Retina OFF (but in 100% zoom).

As RTH points out, having the laptop raised will help with the circulation, laying on a hard flat surface will reflect the heat back on to the chassis. Naturally playing with the laptop directly on your knees/lap will increase heat issues where it's on conductive material (which I'd not advise doing generally anyway).

Hi Lucas,

yes, it was medium because I wan't to compare with RT Herringbone. Usually I play very low.

Where can I adjust the zoom-level?

Very low

2D with 3D highlights

With retina on

85 C /3497 RPM

OK. With Retina on it's horrible. Retina off, very low and zoom out to 85% is the best solution. Still getting very hot but with 2D and highlights in 3D playable.

Thanks and good night.

Please can we try to keep this thread on track? I understand that it is frustrating and concerning, but the best way to enable SI to investigate further is to heed Neil's request in the first post. If you have provided the requested information then fantastic; thank you. I believe that the posts that are being removed are simply ones which fall into a sort of "discussion" category.

I'm affected by this issue but am happy to proceed with playing, based on post #13 which states that Macs have innate safeguards against overheating (this is a statement that I have read elsewhere this evening when researching the general issue of hot MacBooks). This issue with fans and overheating is not unique to FM16. If you google anything along the lines of "macbook pro 2015 overheating games" you will see plenty of examples for plenty of other games where this occurs. As such, it is a general Mac issue which lends credibility to the earlier statement that "Macs aren't built specifically to run games".

Please bear with SI, this obviously is a larger issue and one that they are trying to find a resolution for. Please also don't shoot the messenger; Lucas has been working long and hard on this and is getting some pretty unpleasant vitriol directed at him, and nothing warrants that sort of behaviour.

Please can we try to keep this thread on track? I understand that it is frustrating and concerning, but the best way to enable SI to investigate further is to heed Neil's request in the first post. If you have provided the requested information then fantastic; thank you. I believe that the posts that are being removed are simply ones which fall into a sort of "discussion" category.

I'm affected by this issue but am happy to proceed with playing, based on post #13 which states that Macs have innate safeguards against overheating (this is a statement that I have read elsewhere this evening when researching the general issue of hot MacBooks). This issue with fans and overheating is not unique to FM16. If you google anything along the lines of "macbook pro 2015 overheating games" you will see plenty of examples for plenty of other games where this occurs. As such, it is a general Mac issue which lends credibility to the earlier statement that "Macs aren't built specifically to run games".

Please bear with SI, this obviously is a larger issue and one that they are trying to find a resolution for. Please also don't shoot the messenger; Lucas has been working long and hard on this and is getting some pretty unpleasant vitriol directed at him, and nothing warrants that sort of behaviour.

I should add to this that I've already had to removed one user for a week. I really do not want to go down this route, especially when people obviously have issues, but equally we will not stand for Lucas getting abuse or having the thread derailed from him trying to get to bottom of the issue. If you've left the info Lucas needs, then thank you very much, otherwise, please let him keep working on the issue.

Hi,

Hs anyone experimented with setting the "rendering mode" to software?

My MacBook 13 retina is currently set to full screen 2560x1600, Retina on, zoom 175% and rendering as software. Graphics quality is set to low and 3D matches on. I have also turned off scenery and crowds in the match settings.

At the moment, I can use FM2016 (outside of match day) without the fans coming on at all, and then when the 3d match starts the fans kick in a bit, but nothing major. The 3D quality when playing the match is pretty grainy and blurry, but that is fine for me. I'll try and add a screen shot....

J2Gbec6qXufr5F2u5

https://goo.gl/photos/J2Gbec6qXufr5F2u5

Now I did fiddle around with various settings so not sure if everyone tries to recreate these settings they will get the same results. I will try and do some more testing but at the moment this is acceptable to me if I don't want my wife asking every 5 minutes "is that rain outside or is your laptop trying to take off?".

And SI, I appreciate that you are looking at the problem and also understand that most MacBooks have dedicated graphics so are not intended to be powerhouse gaming machines. However, they are basically the same as many windows based laptops from a hardware perspective (excluding retina displays), so it will good to see if it is the OS or the retina resolution that is causing the issue.

Do you have evidence of a retina vs non-retina macbook?

Has anyone tried either bootcamp Windows running on a macbook or running in a VM such as parallels?

If I get time I'll try it in a VM as I have Parallels installed.

I'll ask one more time, since I am genuinely looking for answer, why my brand new 2015 MacBook Pro 5 star in-game rated machine can only play 3D matches in Very Low quality (recommended Very High), in windowed mode and with overheating?

Lucas—I've tried playing in Retina mode but the matchdays feel laggy and actions more noise from the fans, assuming the CPU is overheating more, than playing in Standard mode—should I continue in Retina mode as recommended in your post even though performance appears worse? Can anybody explain why Retina mode is less intensive?

My three day trial with the TG Pro app that Neil recommended has expired so I don't have anything to measure and I'm looking to you guys for more guidance, so FM16 doesn't cause any damage to my machine in the long-term.

Hi,

Hs anyone experimented with setting the "rendering mode" to software?

Do you have evidence of a retina vs non-retina macbook?

Has anyone tried either bootcamp Windows running on a macbook or running in a VM such as parallels?

If I get time I'll try it in a VM as I have Parallels installed.

For older Retinas then software rendering may be something to try, feedback on that would be welcome. Generally though GPU rendering is usually the recommended in most cases.

Comparison of Retina v non-Retina Macbooks with the same specs isn't possible. Apple didn't release same spec models with a retina v non-retina screen option.

I wouldn't recommend using a VM for Football Manager 2016, while it may run Virtual Machines have caps on resources with regards to Video Memory and System RAM that performance is likely to be worse. In any case it's not supported by us.

As for BootCamp, we wouldn't not advise not using that generally. For this thread, at this time we are investigating with the feedback given asked by Neil in the OP. If you have findings on BootCamp then feel free to share them in a separate thread, thanks. Otherwise, I'm happy for you to report your feedback on different preference options in here.

I'll ask one more time, since I am genuinely looking for answer, why my brand new 2015 MacBook Pro 5 star in-game rated machine can only play 3D matches in Very Low quality (recommended Very High), in windowed mode and with overheating?

The star rating is something we are looking into with the feedback given from users. From what you're reporting I can see why you would feel that it may be rating this too high in some cases, though the star rating is intended as a guide rather than a rule. Again it's something that's being looked into but I can't share any more than that right now.

Lucas—I've tried playing in Retina mode but the matchdays feel laggy and actions more noise from the fans, assuming the CPU is overheating more, than playing in Standard mode—should I continue in Retina mode as recommended in your post even though performance appears worse? Can anybody explain why Retina mode is less intensive?

Retina mode should be less intensive in matches particularly as it's rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled. By all means please try with Retina off and submit your findings. I appreciate TG Pro on your machine is now expired so you can't submit these results, but would welcome to hear what you think with Retina off if you've tried that.

Thank you for the replies Lucas. The results I submitted earlier in the thread, post #5, were recorded in Standard mode with Retina switched off so you can use those. Since then I've chosen to play on Very Low in windowed mode but was intrigued by your suggestion to play in Retina mode.

I tested it in Retina this evening, with zoom set to 200% otherwise the UI is way too small, but the match day experience was laggy and blurry. And the fans did appear louder which made me think the CPU was hotter than when I played without retina. Ideally I still be able to use TG Pro to send you the results but I'm not sure I feel comfortable enough to continue in this way since Neil reassured us a number of times that 100 degrees C is OK if the laptop doesn't shut down. I'm more concerned about the long term damage though.

What I find frustrating, and I appreciate you say the in-game rating is a guidance, but this is more than just a slight error. Very Low is, in fact, the opposite to the recommended Very High. I also don't understand how many brother's non-retina 2012 mode can run match days at a higher graphic quality level than my retina 2015 machine?

How is that possible?

What I find frustrating, and I appreciate you say the in-game rating is a guidance, but this is more than just a slight error. Very Low is, in fact, the opposite to the recommended Very High. I also don't understand how many brother's non-retina 2012 mode can run match days at a higher graphic quality level than my retina 2015 machine?

How is that possible?

Forgive me if I'm spelling this out somewhat, but I'll try to explain this in detail to hopefully answer any of the follow up questions you may have, or others on this.

As I mentioned above, the Retina screens have a *lot* more pixels. If you were to run the game at the same resolution as the other machine at 100% standard resolution then you should see that your machine performs better. I understand that at this resolution the game would be very small, which is why on Retina machines you would use a zoom option.

The higher the zoom option, the more power that demands (because text and images are increased in size). You can relate this, on a basic level to images on your computer. An image at 200 x 200 would be smaller in file size and uses less system memory and resources than one at 400 x 400.

With games generally (and this is not specific to Football Manager), on a Retina machine you will have the game rendering at a much larger size than a non-Retina machine. Generally this is where your GPU will be doing the 'work'. More of this 'work' is done when there are lots of moving assets, animations, etc. On top of that, games will also be performing many calculations (CPU), often in the millions. The two chips working together will produce heat. On integrated systems, the GPU and CPU are on the same chip so would be much more over worked than a system that has a dedicated graphics card.

So to answer your question, you're not likely making a straight comparison because on your machine you'll be using zoom levels and running the game at effectively a much higher resolution than him. Depending on your graphics cards, there could be a tradeoff between the two machines if you were to have an integrated graphics card, and he a dedicated one.

With Football Manager's preferences there are a number of options to tweak, bearing this in mind:

Screen Mode: Windowed mode as opposed to Full Screen or Maximised Windowed Borderless will use less resources on your system.

Size of Text & Images: The higher the 'zoom', the higher the resolution and definition of the UI. (And the match, with Retina mode 'Off').

Rendering mode: Software Rendering will place the rendering demands on your CPU, as opposed to GPU assisted. This would generally be used to switch to software rendering on lower end machines.

Match Preferences: Going from Very Low to Very High on 3D will affect the definition and demands of the Match. On very low, the crowd are no longer rendered (as opposed to FM2015). With 3D off, using 2D classic will have even less demands on your system.

I hope that answers your questions and gives you some direction to experiment with settings while we are looking into this, including the default graphics recommendations for these machines.

Ok thank you for the detailed explanation Lucas. I will experiment with the settings available to make do for now until, hopefully, SI can improve optimisation for retina screens.

Hi Lucas,

in terms of the issues i've been having,i would agree with the majority such as overheating and poor performance with my 2014 Mac and as a result i've had to turn the retina mode off, there is still overheating but the game and 3d match mode runs much smoother for now, i guess it will do until the main issue is fixed.

We're still working very hard on this issue at the present time. While I can't go into the specifics of those investigations, I can say that our advice to use the settings detailed above to lower the demands on your system is something to use for now. Thanks.

Hi, I can see that my issue has already been reported and its being worked on.

For what is worth I get incredibly loud fans during 3D match without high res/graphics. But if I put retina mode on or increase the zoom too much then it will be loud through out the entire FM session.

Look forward to getting this resolved. Mine's a 2015 Macbook Pro.

I can’t recall the fan of my iMac ever being loud, but it is getting older (Early 2008). So I read this thread and applied some of your suggestions with the following positive results.

How many leagues are you running in what sized database for your effected save?

12 LEAGUES – HUGE DATABASE – 26,010 PLAYERS - when Fan kicked in on 2nd game played - (TEST were run with a game of 9 lgs, 28k players)

What resolution is your Mac set to via the System Preferences?

1920X1200

Are you running in Full Screen (if so, what Resolution), Windowed or Maximum Borderless Windowed Mode?

WINDOWED MODE - was 125% ZOOM at the time

Are you running the game with Retina Mode ticked?

NO

What graphics quality does it recommend your system to run at?

MEDIUM – 2.5 STARS

What graphics quality do you set your system to (High, Medium, Low etc)?

MEDIUM

If you lower the graphics quality does it make any difference to the fans/performance?

Not much, if at all once Zoom is set at 100%

How does 3D run in game - does it lag, skip etc or does it play without any performance issue?

MINOR LAGS/HESITATIONS at 125% Zoom…..minimal after switching to 100% Zoom

What temperature does your system run at when running matches? (using TGPro)

2 TEMP tests taken after I lowered graphics to “Low” and then back up to “Med” with Zoom back to 100%.

(NOTE: when computer is idle, the temp is 42 C and the fan RPM is 1061)

With Graphics set to "Low":

CPU Diode: 60 C

CPU Heatsink: 52 C

CPU Proximity: 54 C

GPU Diode: 87 C

GPU Heatsink: 68 C

GPU Proximity: 71 C

Fan RPM ranged from 1061 to 1695

With Graphics set to "Medium":

CPU Diode: 59 C

CPU Heatsink: 50 C

CPU Proximity: 54 C

GPU Diode: 88 C

GPU Heatsink: 68 C

GPU Proximity: 71 C

Fan RPM ranged from 1153 to 1708…….

I noted that within the Activity Monitor the CPU & Energy usage was down as well as the Memory Pressure after lowering the Zoom (200 when playing with screen Zoomed at 125%...160 to 172 when Zoomed at 100%)

I also noticed I did have dust all over my vents…..That was cleaned up before running these tests.

At this time, it appears that my iMac runs the game without increased fan usage/overheating as long as the vents are clean and I keep the Zoom at 100%......the graphics seem OK at Medium level (as I have set the graphics level for years on previous FM versions). Do I prefer 125% zoom, yes........does it kill me at 100%....by no means.....all is well after these adjustments if these test results stay the same.

EMAIL SENT – LOUD FAN/ OVERHEATING FM16 – USER NAME: ONYEWU

Thank you for the information Onyewu, and everybody else who has provided constructive feedback in this thread.

Just to let those of you know seeking an update, we are still in the process of working through this and will update when there is any further news.