What am i Doing Wrong on the FM16 Beta? I Can't Get Results at All

Okay, so i've played FM handheld a lot in previous years, with much success but i recently pre-ordered FM16 and have been playing the beta over the past week or so.

I've now had 3 different saves (Villarreal, Schalke and Deportivo) and on each one i've been totally garbage and really cannot understand why. And no i am not a lunatic playing my players out of position with 0 tactics, i have a rather good understanding of real football but i just cant play well on this game for the life of me.

Being new to the full PC version there's obviously something i'm probably doing completely wrong that's obvious to most but what is it? i'm playing my players in the correct position with the preferred roles, i'm not playing strange formations (4123, 4231 and 442 Diamond are what i've predominantly used), i'm making signings that fit into my team's quality, i'm changing tactics in-game and i'm also listening to what my coaches have to say as well. I also won all through pre-season, albeit against far lower opposition, so my player's morale began high, What am i doing wrong or need to do???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's a huge jump from Handheld to "full" FM. It sounds like you aren't thinking about the system as a whole and are just putting player into their preferred Roles and hoping it all hangs together? Could you give more detail such as the WHOLE setup of any one of the systems you have tried please? Formation, Team Shape, Roles, Duties, Team and Player Instructions. Nobody can help without more details.

It's a huge jump from Handheld to "full" FM. It sounds like you aren't thinking about the system as a whole and are just putting player into their preferred Roles and hoping it all hangs together? Could you give more detail such as the WHOLE setup of any one of the systems you have tried please? Formation, Team Shape, Roles, Duties, Team and Player Instructions. Nobody can help without more details.

My most played save where i was 19th with 1 win from 10 was with Villarreal and my set up was...

Areola (Asenjo injured)

Mario Musacchio Victor Ruiz J.Costa

(FB-Def) (Both BPD-Def) (FB-Att)

Bruno Trigueros

(DLP-Su) (AP-Su)

Samuel D.Suarez Castillejo

(Wing-Att) (AP-Su) (Wing-Su

Leo Baptistao

(Compl Forward-Att)

The Instructions i have are, Fairly Wide, Look for overlap, work ball into box, play out of defence

and my team is on Control with Fluid structure.

With your TIs, it seems like you are trying to attack the flanks. But with 3 playmakers in the middle, it also seems like you are trying to focus your play through the middle. If you want to attack the flanks, you may want to consider using only 1-2 playmakers so they won't pass it among themselves in the middle. If you want to attack the middle, then drop TI like look for overlap so that the middle playmakers can do their thing.

In your setup, there is only 1 player(striker) to attack the box. The rest behind him are mostly creators roles. Consider changing 1-2 players behind to roles like AM, IF or Ramudetuter so that they can be an attacking presence in the box.

The two central midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 should be fairly conservative. The pairs and combinations thread covers some of the reasons why.

In general, the piece you are missing is consideration for how your 11 player roles play together. Choosing roles that suit your players is only part of the puzzle. The other part is keeping those pieces logical together.

16.1 is a bit of a mess in certain ways. Players dwell on the ball, even when playing fast and not on retain possession. FB play is also poor. 16.0.1 was okay, but needed tweaks. Whatever they did to that for the current iteration really didn't work. I'm waiting for Friday before I lose it completely though. I've solved certain issues with losing counter attack goals, but it really makes for awful game play when we have the ball. I don't play with a top EPL team or Barca or the likes. I play a normal mid-level team. Maybe I should build a tactic up by having Barca run over tiny teams and post it on the forum, calling it Unbeatable Maximus?

I'm waiting for Friday before I lose it completely though.

What precisely do you think SI can do to the Match Engine in the 3/4 days between the Beta being updated and the full game being released?! Don't expect changes. If you have seen some specific issues, please raise them in the Bugs forum with appropriate supporting evidence; it's a bit odd to just pop up in a random thread and have a little rant.

I've not played the BETA but its pretty obvious the tactic you are using isn't that well thought out. Your central midfield is going to leave loads of gaps behind them, your two central defenders will go wandering off with the ball. I'm guessing you concede a bunch of goals like this.

I never understand it when people blame a certain build of the game or say something like 'they nerfed such and such'

Thanks for the responses!

My team for my Schalke save which is also going very disappointingly is:

Fahrman

Caicara Matip Nastasic Kolasnic

(FB-Att) LD-Def) (BPD-Def) (WB-Auto)

Neustadter

(DM-Su)

B.Valero P.E. Hobjerg

(AP-Su) (B2B-Su)

Meyer

(AP-Su)

Di Santo Hunterlaar

(Compl For-Su) (AF-Su)

Attacking & Fluid

Fairly Narrow/Balanced

Work Ball Into Box

Look For Overlap

My players seem to be missing the most clear-cut chances at important stages in games as well, even though their morale isn't bad at all.

Assuming this to be a narrow diamond? On Attacking Mentality, your Auto Duty Wing Back assumes an Attacking Mentality. So you have very aggressive flank play but nobody in the middle holding shape. Your whole midfield will drift forwards in support when you attack so you leave two at the back only. You're very, very open to a Counter.

Why Look For Overlap? Who is overlapping who in a narrow system like this?

You may miss chances because the tempo in Attacking is very high; players are acting on instinct rather than thinking about things.

Fahrman

Caicara Matip Nastasic Kolasnic

(FB-Att) LD-Def) (BPD-Def) (WB-Auto)

Neustadter

(DM-Su)

B.Valero P.E. Hobjerg

(AP-Su) (B2B-Su)

Meyer

(AP-Su)

Di Santo Hunterlaar

(Compl For-Su) (AF-Su)

Attacking & Fluid

Fairly Narrow/Balanced

Work Ball Into Box

Look For Overlap

My players seem to be missing the most clear-cut chances at important stages in games as well, even though their morale isn't bad at all.

1. Why the two APs? Cant really see the point.

2. As Herringbone implied - dont have people on auto unless you re certain what that means.

3. Why no defensive duty in midfield? This is a recepe for disaster - try changing the dm into a dlp defence and the "withdrawn" AP to a cm defend.

4. Also do you realise that from the midfield upwards you have nobody on attack?! Thats not really helping either. Huntelaar is primarily a poacher. If you play him/other poachers then change the AF into a Poacher attack. Also -as mentioned above have a look at pairs and combinations elsewhere on the forum: One of the two cfs in a 2-man forward line should be on attack.

Archived