FM16 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

Well, we got knocked out of Europa by BMG on away goals... Not all doom and gloom though:

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-13_zpsxqax1lxu.p

The bad news is that our keeper Tiago Coelho is out for pretty much the rest of the season with a broken shoulder, though he might be back just in time for the final. Although I must say it was almost worth it to see my 3rd choice CB in goal (as I never have a keeper on the bench) for 80 minutes in an FA cup semi and finish with a 6.9 rating. :D

We'll be playing either Palace (6th in prem) or Swansea (2nd in championship) in the final, so we actually have a decent chance at getting the clubs first major trophy. Maybe that would finally push me from favored personnel to icon :lol:

Meanwhile, the battle for fourth is still going on and very tight, although a couple of teams have fallen away a bit. We're still in it.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we lost the cup final as well. What a rubbish way to end the season. At least I got good money to spend again, 60 million transfer fund and 250k available wage budget.

I'm considering doing a major switch to our system. I've been using right-footed wingers so far, a W/S on the right and IF/A on the left. Looking at what's on the market currently there's a lot of good looking left-footed wingers available. There's also interest from bigger clubs for our wingers. One persistent problem that we've had for a while is that plenty of teams use an attacking right back. An IF/A doesn't really track back as much as is necessary and while making him specifically mark the RB helps a bit, it makes the overall defending on that flank less... I don't know what word to use. Fluid? Cohesive? Something like that anyway. Having a W/S on that flank should help in this regard. Besides, if we end up selling a couple of wingers for big money then we'll probably be making a decent windfall as well.

Time to continue my monologue :)

The disappointment of the end of last season has been duly forgotten and the new season is three league games old, and I must say we're looking good now. I desperately want to parade all my signings but will restrain myself and only show off a select few.

The new leader of our back four, record signing and highest earner:

Eric%20Dier_%20Overview%20Profile_zpsx4z

30+ mill from Spurs. Has had a solid start, including two clean sheets and a goal about 40 seconds into his debut.

This next guy is our new first choice DM, 27 mill from Brentford. I've been aware of him for a couple of years and have tried signing him before but found him too expensive. He's kept on improving and he kept on popping in my inbox last season as he was selected Championship young player of the month almost every month. But in the end, the main reason I just had to sign him was that he's the first quality Finnish regen I've seen since FM07, back in the day when we all thought our national team had a bright future ahead... :(

Jari%20Riikonen_%20Overview%20Profile-3_

Another midfield signing, from Schalke for 20+. I tried signing him last summer but they wanted 100 mill for him, then he ended up getting unhappy with his playing time and transfer listed during the season. Ridiculously well developed for a 19-year old.

Mourtala%20Cissoko_%20Overview%20Profile

Then the guy who has taken me by surprise a bit:

Matheus%20Pereira_%20Overview%20Profile_

He was one of several options I looked at for the right wing. I was a bit hesitant because of his average finishing and work rate, but decided to go with him because of his dribbling and creativity, which are a cut above the other options I looked at, although his age also played a part - had my second choice been 26 instead of 29 I'd have bought him instead of this guy. Anyway, after three league games:

English%20Premier%20Division_%20Overview

:D

Obviously it's just a bright start and things will quiet down considerably, but it's still ridiculous. 7 goals and 2 assists in three games, matchwinner in every game. Largely thanks to him we're sitting pretty at the top of the league on goals scored. Again, it's just three games but still - I've a strong feeling we'll get top four this season. Arsenal is the only big team that didn't change their manager for this season - Chelsea sacked Mourinho while Luis Enrique from United and Klopp from City moved to national teams. They've been replaced by Hamza Hamzaoglu, Massimiliano Allegri and Ståle Solbakken respectively - I'm sure at least one of them will fail miserably. Based on the early results I'd put my money on Allegri, but we'll see.

One last thing: our Europa group.

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Competitions-3_z

On the whole easier than last season, but Valencia have a very good team. Should make it to the next round without any problems, but winning the group is a much tougher ask.

Well this summer has been all about bringing in quality youth for no money, and i'm beyond chuffed! 

McNair will be a fantastic back up to Coates and Mazuch, both of whom remain at the club (for now) despite bids. Will be promoted through the ranks if Coates/Mazuch start putting in bad performances, or leave or get injured.

Browning goes straight into the first team as starting right back. Really like the look of him and he's played well when used in pre-season.

Beyond chuffed to have bagged Loftus-Cheek. About 5 clubs went for him on the day Chelsea released him, we went in on the same day too else he would have been gone in an instant. Got a massive future ahead of him all going well, and he can cover all positions across our midfield. Quite the player to have waiting in reserve in the Championship.

And now maybe the player i'm excited about the most; Angelino. Spent all summer looking for a left back and just couldn't get a deal done. Work permit issues, outrageous wage demands, i saw it all over the summer. Then i stumbled across this guy. Sod's law, the moment i gave up on finding a left back i accidentally find one white looking for a goalkeeper to loan! Listed for loan by City, I wanted to buy but had no money in the bank, but have put a future fee of just £1 million in the loan deal. As soon as i have that money, i'm closing the deal. 

Not sure these guys will be what i need to push on this year to automatic promotion, but i would expect to be around the playoffs again with a squad that in a few years time could be very, very exciting. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 18.43.58.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 18.43.41.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 18.43.23.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 18.43.08.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 18.42.50.png

Missing out by one point, that's painful. Angelino looks class! His marking is a bit worrying but if that potential is correct, you'll have a very good attacking left back in your hands soon. McNair is a great signing as well, unless his hidden attributes are terrible which I've seen a couple of times. Looks good though. Good luck in your promotion chase!

Just a few quick pics of how we (and Matheus Pereira in particular) are doing:

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-14_zps27vbbhlb.p

Looking very, very good. Only conceded four goals in all competitive games so far, the three against Newcastle and one against Spurs in the league cup. Won Valencia away 1-0 and Gent at home 4-0. Now the aim is to avoid the slump for as long as possible.

To be fair it was almost more heartbreaking; Fulham equalised in the 93rd minute of their game to make it a one point gap. If they hadn't have, i would have missed out on goal difference alone. Ouch.

Yeah got Angelino on a marking crash course in training straight away. I do love me an attacking wing back. Pander was class for me the 2 years he gave me and i'm sad to him depart, but Angelino is the future for sure. Just want to get that £1 million permanent deal done as soon as possible, all about getting pen to paper and tying him down! 

That's a hell of a way to start a season! If Pereira can keep the goals going in, this could be a hell of a season for you! How's your Europa group coming along?

10 minutes ago, PleasedToMichu said:

To be fair it was almost more heartbreaking; Fulham equalised in the 93rd minute of their game to make it a one point gap. If they hadn't have, i would have missed out on goal difference alone. Ouch.

Yeah got Angelino on a marking crash course in training straight away. I do love me an attacking wing back. Pander was class for me the 2 years he gave me and i'm sad to him depart, but Angelino is the future for sure. Just want to get that £1 million permanent deal done as soon as possible, all about getting pen to paper and tying him down! 

That's a hell of a way to start a season! If Pereira can keep the goals going in, this could be a hell of a season for you! How's your Europa group coming along?

Yeah, losing out on goal difference is ridiculously painful. As a United fan I'm all too familiar with that... Although in FM15 I once got something of a revenge for that when I beat City to the title with United on goal difference - in their penultimate game City lost a two goal lead against Norwich in the final minutes which meant we could catch them in points. A reverse Aguero moment, if you will. :D

We're top of the group after 2 games. Already got the toughest game out of the way as we beat Valencia away. Will play Hearts in the next two games - win those and we'll be through. The aim will obviously be to win the group though. We're having a bit of an injury crisis at the moment, first choice GK and DL are both injured as are both options for CM/A. Tough game against Liverpool up next, we've won probably last three against them or something, but they've started the season really well too.

Just a quick little update... Our run on straight wins came to an end with a 1-1 draw at Southampton, where we leveled the game at 90+2 minutes after a rubbish performance. Here's our fixture list, I took the liberty of cutting out all midweek friendlies:

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Senior%20Fixture

That's 16 straight wins in all competitions, and seven straight league games without conceding. Madness. Here's the tables:

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Competitions-4_z

In Europa we're facing Valencia at home next, draw or better and the group win is ours.

As expected, Matheus Pereira's form has gone a bit downhill, although he did assist the equalizer at Southampton. Injury crisis is thankfully nearing its end, although Alberto Moreno, Adryan, Leroy Sane and Taxi are still out. But an international break is coming up next and most players should be available, though lacking in match fitness, when the league action resumes.

Had an offer accepted on a house this week so have had no time to start the new season what with the whirlwind of solictors, mortgage brokers and never ending phone calls!

I'm really excited by the potential of this team. It's a very young team, i looked at the ages of the starting 11 and was impressed with just how much of a young team i've managed to put together. I'm excited to see what this team can do over the next couple of seasons if i can keep this team together. There's potential all over the pitch. 

Wow... A season of two halves if ever there was one. Good news first:

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-15_zpsy86okqy9.p

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-16_zpshbxsluhb.p

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-17_zpsldh7kgzv.p

Up until January 14th we lost one competitive game. From that point onward, though...

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Senior%20Fixture

That's 10 defeats. We were top of the table at the turn of the year, but in the end secured champions league in the penultimate game of the season, the 1-1 draw at relegated Swansea. I'm not sure I've ever seen a good team be so completely devoid of, I don't even know what to call it... Just ability to perform, I guess. The sheer amount of missed sitters, misplaced passes, lapses of concentration, stellar performances by opposition gk's... Absolutely incredible. Anyway, here's the final table:

One match left to play, the Europa final, against Crystal Palace who've become something of a bogey team. I'm really happy we secured the champions league qualification via the league, if we finished fifth the pressure in the final would be enormous. Now it's just a trophy, even though it would be great to win just to avoid the playoff round.

:D

Carlisle%20v%20Crystal%20Palace_%20Analy

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-20_zpshbyddxdh.p

A couple of huge slices of luck helped us. The key thing was that our nemesis Zach Clough, who seems to always score against us, was injured. Then two penalties, especially getting a second after having missed the first one helped a great deal. I have to say, when Valencia missed his pen I was very worried... Striker missing a pen so often seems to be a bad omen. Instead he went and scored a very good goal soon after. The 3-0 goal killed the game and the second half was a formality, we played defensive and Palace couldn't do much else than take pot shots outside the box.

And, finally...

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-19_zpsevp3norz.p

I'm an icon! :D

One last thing before giving it a rest, here's our captain, signed for 1,4 mill from Athletic Bilbao three seasons ago:

Mario%20Larrainzar_%20Overview%20Profile

Lovely player. :thup:

19 hours ago, PleasedToMichu said:

In the first game of last season, we lost 5-0.

This year, we handed out the pasting :cool:

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 22.55.20.png

Nice start! How are Cardiff doing in your save? They finished bottom of championship this season on mine. It's a bit strange, they should at least have potential to do much better. Although I haven't really checked them out in this years fm.

I haven't had the time to really sit down and proceed with the summer, but I did already agree on our first signing, Giovanni from Chelsea, otherwise on as my dream center back:

Giovanni_%20Overview%20Profile_zpshapezj

I took note of him before he moved to Chelsea and after he went there I wanted to cry as I though I'd lost him forever. Then suddenly he pops up on my scouting screen as a realistic transfer and at a reasonable price - went and signed him without a second thought. Look at that quickness! Look at it! Absolute madness! This is where I'd insert a dozen drooling smileys if we had those available here :D

Other than that I'm expecting a relatively quiet summer. And this time I'm serious. :lol: Players appearing on the transfer list can always change things but at the moment I'm not seeing either a lot of room for improvement, except in terms of player development, in our squad or affordable players who could improve it. I'd expect 3-4 to leave and 2-3 come in (plus maybe some youngsters), but we'll see. I do have a feeling I've said this before and then had a summer of revolving door mayhem...

Cardiff got to the play off final last year, so wasn't massively keen on seeing them come up first game of the season! Add in that the next game is Hull away and the one after that is West Brom at home and you've got yourself a tricky start to the season!

I LOVE the look of Giovanni. That pace at centre back! :hammer:

I know! I do have quick cb's as it is but that guy is something else. There aren't many faster strikers around (although most top quality regen strikers seem to be the fast type, as opposed to target men or creative dribbler type), certainly not those that can outrun him with the ball. Can't believe I managed to get him!

9 hours ago, PleasedToMichu said:

An, uh, interesting debut for Fletch. Against his old club (West Brom). Captain of his new club. Promptly proceeds to get sent off :D 

:lol:

Despite that, should be great at championship level. Fantastic tutor, too. Great signing!

I feel a little guilty that only you two guys are going strong on this thread! I did try one last effort with a fresh L2 club, but it didn't really suck me in despite a decent start.

Whilst we are here, I have some very clear ideas of who I fancy taking on in FM17 (at all three EFL levels). I would be interested to hear if anyone else has already got some teams lined up for the new version?

27 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I feel a little guilty that only you two guys are going strong on this thread! I did try one last effort with a fresh L2 club, but it didn't really suck me in despite a decent start.

Whilst we are here, I have some very clear ideas of who I fancy taking on in FM17 (at all three EFL levels). I would be interested to hear if anyone else has already got some teams lined up for the new version?

I'm not sure when I'll manage to buy the new FM but will probably do a United save first like I always tend to do - will be a nice change not having to buy Pogba first thing. :) I've considered taking on Doncaster in this FM but as I'm still enjoying Carlisle I probably won't get around to that, so maybe I'll do it in 17. I'm not sure how they're doing in real life apart from the fact they were relegated to league two last season, if their squad is meh and board expectation is automatic promotion I might not have the balls for it. :lol:

Right, we're about to kick off the new season against Liverpool at home. Amazingly enough, it has indeed been a quiet summer in terms of transfers - five players left and four came in. Also signed a bunch of youngsters, none that would excite me greatly but certainly better than our home grown talent. There's maybe one or two who might actually have a chance to become first team players. Rest are just cheap backups who we might make a profit on later.

So, as a result of the lack of transfers, all our tactics are now at fluid familiarity - not maxed out but close. Probably for the first time in this save :lol:

I love it when big teams think they can play an aggressive 442 against me and get away with it (yes yes, I know the ai doesn't really think anything, just wanted to say that)

Carlisle%20v%20Bayern_%20Analysis%20Post

Eric%20Idle_%20%20Inbox-21_zpsmhpbggd4.p

Despite their late goal it was completely comfortable throughout. Another trophy in the cabinet! :D

Just a quick little update... Doing pretty well again, though we've had a few disappointing results, including a 3-0 trouncing at league leaders City and a disappointing extra time defeat to Spurs in the 3rd league cup round, and general problems with scoring. On the other hand, we've become Bayern's bogey team :lol: Three games, three wins, including this:

Bayern%20v%20Carlisle_%20Overview%20Over

That's a pretty good result, especially in an away game. And not just the result, we thoroughly outplayed them (again). Here's the tables:

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Competitions-5_z

Only one point needed to secure qualification, a win to top the group. Still to play Benfica at home and Olympiakos away. Would be hilarious to see Bayern get knocked out. :D

On 08/10/2016 at 11:38, Jogo Bonito said:

Not sure how quickly i will be heading into the lower leagues on FM17. Don't have the money to buy the game on release (i'm invested in my Sheff Utd save anyway so no drama there) and when i get the game i really like the look of a Nice save to begin with. Build a team to challenge the likes of PSG etc, with Balotelli leading the line up top :D

I have always wanted to get a decent Leeds save going mind, but they have p*ssed me off in my Sheff Utd save so might think again :lol: 

Close but, alas, no cigar:

The game I predictably ended up looking back on with great regret:

Carlisle%20v%20Man%20City_%20Overview%20

Their equalizer came from a corner as well. And as for the champions league... Went out in quarters on away goals against City:

Carlisle%20v%20Man%20City_%20Overview%20

They had zero shots on target! Ridiculous :lol:

A good season in theory, a frustrating and disappointing one in practice.

On 10/8/2016 at 11:38, Jogo Bonito said:

Yeovil!

So the transfer window has slammed shut at the beginning of our second season in the Championship and i've kept the team together, but crikey it was hard! Took bids for pretty much every one of my players, and in case of Coates and Mazuch, i took DAILY bids for them both. Often from the same team. Literally they would bid for Mazuch, i would decline, next article would be them bidding for Coates. And this was EVERY DAY. Take the hint Villa, yeah? Also turned down bids for Reed, Lingaard, Da Silva, Adams to name a few.

Coates caused an issue to begin with, right at the beginning of the window, when i turned down the first bid i got for him. Complained and said he wanted to go and that was that. BUT the team got behind me. Told me to stick to my guns. Kept declining bids and after 2 weeks of the club backing me fully, Coates came out and said he was happy at the club and didn't want to leave. Didn't stop the bids coming but still :lol: 

So this is my starting 11 when everyone is fit. It's a young side, the average age is 24.5 (and that is being pulled up by Fletcher at 33!!) and add in to that two 22 year olds and a 21 year old on the bench and it's youthful to say the least. But excited to see where this team can go :D 

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 22.32.44.png

• 2 weeks later...

One small mid-season update...

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Competitions-6_z

Going really well. I've decided this will be my last season with this save, so the aim is to win either the league or champions league and quit on a high. Looking good so far, and we've even managed to build a bit of a lead in the league. Here's our signings of the season, both summer and January:

Carlisle%20United_%20%20Transfer%20Histo

None of them have exactly set the world alight, with our former nemesis Zach Clough being probably the best performer. Captain Larrainzar currently has the highest average rating in the prem with 7,98 which is very good for a box-to-box midfielder. My favorite regen in FM16 without a doubt, cracking player.

Next update will be the last, fingers crossed I'll be posting some trophies then. :)

• 1 month later...

Seeing this thread pop up here reminded me that I never got around to posting my final update on the Carlisle save... Because I was so gutted. :lol: Had an 11-point lead at one point, ended up missing out on the title by ONE POINT. Needed to win the last game, away at Everton iirc, but only managed to draw 0-0. Stared at the screen in stunned silence for a few minutes, closed FM and didn't even think about the game for about a week.

Anyway, I'd love to see a new thread as well. Only bought the game a week ago, so I've only finished my first season with Man Utd so far, but will be starting a football league save at some point.

5 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I was hoping somebody else might have a crack this year, but it seems not.

As you all know, Santa is very busy at this time of year, but if he feels there is enough demand, he will see if he can find time to make one extra special delivery...

I probably could otherwise, but I don't really know enough about the clubs (any of the clubs, really) to write any sort of introductions. Would be an all-text list of the clubs, with maybe media prediction and/or transfer & wage budget. Would much rather see someone write up a decent op.

Archived