FM16 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 seasons is way too long unless you're planning on doing some sort of youth challenge!

Not necessarily. I like to be at clubs for the longhaul. In 15 it took me 5 seasons before I was a mid-table club. I was shrewd with transfers and tried to run a tight ship. I'm not that good at FM so 25 seasons is more than enough for me. If we get there sooner then brilliant. If we don't ever make it, so be it.

Good luck on your save mate.

Haha, I'm lucky if I get to the 5th season before a new FM is out

I've only ever completed more than 5/6 seasons a couple of times. My longest ever save is currently in 2068 iirc in Indonesia from FM13. I still play that from time to time.

Started with Portsmouth myself. Currently just starting season 3.

Transfers season 1:

npf0pu.png

Asked the board for more money in January season 1 and they gave me £1.5M. I signed Appiah for £650k and he gave me the fire power needed to get automatic promotion

League Table season 1:

xnte2s.png

Transfers season 2:

2crommr.png

Phillips was a great signing going into League 1.

League Table season 2:

y2wb9.png

Delighted with the back to back promotions but serious strengthening will be needed to have a decent campaign in the championship

The text for League 2 and League 1 is now complete. I'm not sure who will use it or if people have clear ideas who they want to manage and why, but hopefully it helps a few who are undecided to learn a little bit about the clubs and their players.

I'll do the Championship section soon, and probably add some more images to make it a little easier on the eyes. Then I can get on and enjoy a game myself :)

Welcome to all, and good luck with your saves.

I done a save with Leeds in the beta and won promotion first season and finished mid table comfortably twice. Got a little bored of it as Massimo gave me 60m/80m transfer budgets in the premier league!! I was thinking Forest/Blackburn due to embargos or Bolton because of the finances. Heskey and Ameobi up front would be quite a challenge too :D

Right just coming into the deadline day.

Beat Brighton away 1-2 in the cup and MK Dons 0-2 away too sitting pretty in 2ND 2 points behind Hull who look unstoppable!

I'm still looking to add to the squad before deadline day but finding it hard to find players who will actually improve Squad depthness.

Pretty much have all the midfield areas covered adequately with Davis, Kieftenbeld and Toral occupying the middle with Damarai Gray and Maghoma out on the wings in a 4-3-2-1 formation.

In need of a commanding CB and back up out and out ST for Donaldson preferably someone with pace just in case I have to revert to a 4-4-2, any suggestions?

Looks like deadline day will take some time before I continue haha :lol:

@Plainlayzee: AFC Wimbledon might still fit, but perhaps York, Barnet, Accrington or Morecambe. Northampton are predicted to finish mid-table but have a massive £15m loan debt and a pretty weak looking squad. Forget I said York because I'm liking the look of them more and more myself. Actually surprising how my view can change when I start writing this up. It was always going to be Oxford or Plymouth for me, with a plan to try Exeter again at some stage (in fact the only game I started on the original BETA was with Oxford), but after looking more closely at it, there are a couple of other teams that appeal much more now!

@PVPV: How much do you have to spend? I've not seen transfer budgets yet but plan to review all of them and transfer clauses at some point soon.

@Plainlayzee: AFC Wimbledon might still fit, but perhaps York, Barnet, Accrington or Morecambe. Northampton are predicted to finish mid-table but have a massive £15m loan debt and a pretty weak looking squad. Forget I said York because I'm liking the look of them more and more myself. Actually surprising how my view can change when I start writing this up. It was always going to be Oxford or Plymouth for me, with a plan to try Exeter again at some stage (in fact the only game I started on the original BETA was with Oxford), but after looking more closely at it, there are a couple of other teams that appeal much more now!

@PVPV: How much do you have to spend? I've not seen transfer budgets yet but plan to review all of them and transfer clauses at some point soon.

Did you just have a conversation with yourself haha!

York is a no go I looked at them before. I think its a battle of the Universities, Oxford or Cambridge, just can't decide which

I don't have a clue

I usually go for someone expected to be to bottom end, not much of a budget, something I can grow into a 3 or 4 year save.

Yeah was looking at Tom Bradshaw (Walsall) seems to be doing really well both IRL and FM.

They want £2.3M which is well steep, will have to see if I can strike up a deal on additional fees.

Definitely my top target!

@Plainlayzee: Good good, leave York alone for now! Well, I am in December with Oxford, and let me tell you this. It's a very strong squad, and you don't really need to add anything. Even if you want to, you'll struggle to spend a penny with them. I couldn't sell anyone (only 10% of income if you do), and only added two loanees (for no contribution) but have been in the top few spots all the way so far. As for Cambridge, somebody mentioned they have a bit of a budget (no idea how much or if that is true), so that might be an easier task?

@SBTGFC: Good pick, looking strong to me. Hope my preview on them looks accurate enough to you!

@PVMV: I reckon you can get a striker for much less than that, if pace and finishing and back-up status is your main criteria.

Probably be Oxford then mate, don't want it too easy and they are 7m in debt!

SO your staying as them, or switching to another team now?

When I finish my guide, I will probably continue and complete my first season. It's definitely one of the stronger squads, really don't need to add anything to have a good enjoyable time. The debt makes it tougher of course, and I just have a feeling Cambridge may be too easy for you.

@Jojo just under a Million mate with adjustments

Desperately trying to sell off players not in my plans but it's so hard!.

Wish they sort that part of the game out!

Quite surprised no-ones came in for Demarai Gray as he's top of the Ave Rat (8.33) stats and got POTM, I wouldn't sell mind unless they offered in the excess of £15 Million +

:lol:

@PVMV: I reckon you can get a striker for much less than that, if pace and finishing and back-up status is your main criteria.

@Jojo, yes still looking around immensely while I'm in deadline day and won't continue till I find one haha

@Jojo, yes still looking around immensely while I'm in deadline day and won't continue till I find one haha

I don't have the game open so can't really comment on those with finishing and pace. I've been a big fan of Jonathan Kodjia for some time and was mightily unhappy when he didn't join my team and moved to Bristol City. You could have a look at him, but as he only just moved that may be out of your control. Jordan Siebatcheu (Reims) is a good prospect but it might be a bit early to throw him in (and not sure how the game is rating him), or Lukas Spalvis with AaB in Denmark. From lower leagues, Che Adams (Sheffield United) has plenty of pace. From the Championship you could see if Nahki Wells or Lucas Joao are affordable or available? Loan options might be Dominic Samuel or Ivan Toney, maybe even worth checking the status of Lewis Grabban or Dwight Gayle too? And see if Jason Cummings (Hibernian) looks good or not, he's doing quite well up there.

I don't have the game open so can't really comment on those with finishing and pace. I've been a big fan of Jonathan Kodjia for some time and was mightily unhappy when he didn't join my team and moved to Bristol City. You could have a look at him, but as he only just moved that may be out of your control. Jordan Siebatcheu (Reims) is a good prospect but it might be a bit early to throw him in (and not sure how the game is rating him), or Lukas Spalvis with AaB in Denmark. From lower leagues, Che Adams (Sheffield United) has plenty of pace. Championship you could see if Nahki Wells or Lucas Joao are affordable or available? Loan options might be Dominic Samuel or Ivan Toney, maybe even worth checking the status of Lewis Grabban or Dwight Gayle too?

Cheers Jojo :thup:

Really rate Nahki Wells and Che Adams and will look at Jonathan Kodjia nice one.

Had Dwight Gayle on my FM15 save and wasn't overly impressed tbf, saying that I was in the Prem.

James Vaughan is another one I'm looking at.

:thup:

Forest is a real challenge. Have a look at my thread in here for a bit more information. If you want a League Two club then try Mansfield Town. They have a bloated squad but they have a lot of good youngsters. You also have about £7k in the wage budget to improve the squad.

I've made my mind up and Forest it is. Will check out your thread now :thup:

Mansfield Town. They have a bloated squad but they have a lot of good youngsters. You also have about £7k in the wage budget to improve the squad.

Plus they resigned Matt Green :thup:

Never really hit it off at the Blues

Mind you he was injured most the time, I actually rated him :thup:

I've made my mind up and Forest it is. Will check out your thread now :thup:

Good luck Mr D. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Plus they resigned Matt Green :thup:

Never really hit it off at the Blues

Mind you he was injured most the time, I actually rated him :thup:

I actually think he's a good player. Signed him on loan from Birmingham for one of my Conference sides last season and I think he scored 25 goals in all competitions. He then wouldn't rejoin :(.

Gillingham update

Gills are my local club so always start managing them. Agree with the post about the squad - there are a number of players with a lot of potential and it seems to be very underestimated (both by the media and as it turns out your board too!)

Definitely a squad capable of gaining promotion with the right management. I am currently 3/4 of the way through season 2 - won the league quite comfortably in the end (despite a mid season blip when my assistant was poached by Hull). Doing well in the championship with about 11 games to go

Unfortunately due to work commitments I don't have time now to post any screenshots but will give a brief run through.

You aren't offered much of a transfer budget at the start of the game but with some adjustments you can increase the wages enough to bring in a few free agents. I also asked for a senior affiliate and the best of the clubs I was offered was West Ham - they are good for a few loan signings (Reece Burke - young centre back was very solid).

I've played a 4-2-3-1 formation either on attack or counter depending on the opposition with short passing and quite a lot of width.

Of the initial squad there are a few standouts:

- Rory Donnelly - top scorer and player of the season in league one (28 goals, 14 assists in 42 games), played as AMR(winger)

- Bradley Dack - probably the best potential (9 goals, 9 assists in 45 games, 12 assists in 36 games so far in the Championship), I played him in the number 10 role AP(attack) but is also a natural CM (DLP or AP), currently March 2017 and my coaches rate his current ability as a "decent player for most Premier League sides",

- John Egan - centre back, I was planning on giving him the armband but the current captain kicked off so I bottled it, in March 2017 my coaches say "potential to be a decent Premier League defender in the future"

Also picked up Nicolas Pagliarini (Belgium, CM, 18 years old) on a free. Had a season average in the high 6's but again my coaches think could be a decent Premier League midfielder

After promotion the board weren't really backing me to survive in the Championship - my only options were "battle bravely against relegation", "avoid relegation" or "avoid a relegation battle". They did let me increase these midway through the season. You're given a pretty big increase in wage budget and a transfer budget of a couple of million surprisingly.

Again I managed to secure some reasonable loan signings:

- Tyrone Mings (despite Bournemouth being relegated back to the Championship)

- George Puscus (Romanian U21 international from Inter)

And some decent free/cheapish signings:

- Junior Hoilett (free)

- Adrian Mariappa (free)

- Jak Alnwick (free, decent Championship keeper, Aston Villa are now interested)

- Samuel Di Carmine (375k from Perugia, 23 goals in 35 games so far this season)

- Gregory Sertic (390k from Bordeaux in January)

- Maximiliano Romero (1m upfront, 2m over 48 months from Velez, huge potential in January)

Might be able to get some screenshots up at some point but will at least update on progress!

Nice update Gilbo, a good first season - and pleasing to hear my summary was about right. I had a great run with them several versions ago, taking them from the fourth to second tier and establishing them there. I think you've done good transfer business in your second season, and think it's a really good League 1 team to manage.

pvpv-who did you buy and sell.i`m a bluenose too only ever play as blues looking to sell spector,shinnie and eardley.found a good midfielder in Richie towell contract expires in 3 months same with rossbach young goalkeeper from Norway,of you are looking for a forward look at Jason cummings from hibs will cost around 500k.i`m also struggling to find a decent centre back too.will star my save very soon

pvpv-who did you buy and sell.i`m a bluenose too only ever play as blues looking to sell spector,shinnie and eardley.found a good midfielder in Richie towell contract expires in 3 months same with rossbach young goalkeeper from Norway,of you are looking for a forward look at Jason cummings from hibs will cost around 500k.i`m also struggling to find a decent centre back too.will star my save very soon

I'm still on the deadline day mate, Really scouring the market before the it closes, struggling Tbh.

I got in Tyias Browning on loan from Everton end of season loan I did try to sign all the recommended players Jojo suggested but all out my budget

Trying to offload-

Brock Madsen - just can't cut it

Andrew Shinnie - way too weak on the ball

Paul Robinson

Shane Lowry -

Both just crap!!

Have just confirmed Tottenham as my parent club so hopefully get a few decent loanees in there

I'd keep Demarai at all costs!! Really got a massive boost on 16

Top of the ave rating and POTM charts and also Best hitting the target and most dribbles

As for a ST looking to loan in Kyle Lafferty as back up to Donaldo

KRO! :thup:

what leagues are running mate I`m thinking of just and England and Scotland like to keep a british core to the team

I run them all, but I tend to concentrate on the Blues Youth.

Players like... Dan Harding, Charlee Adams, Viv Solomon-Otabor, Reece Brown, Alex Jones

They're coming on quite nicely

:thup:

• SI Staff

Great thread, enjoying it (as Head of FL research).

PVPV - isn't it kinda cheating to get a parent club in, seeing as that is not really an English thing?

For some suggested difficult League Two challenges, why not try Newport or Hartlepool? Or go unemployed and apply for jobs that come up as managers are sacked in the autumn, so that you are taking on a team near the bottom of the table in the first season. Taking on one of the biggest clubs like Oxford, Luton or Pompey at the start is a little too easy. I note someone above said that Pompey gave the manager £1.5m in the first window, which seems very unrealistic to me. I'd have definitely logged that as a bug if it were in my savegame, especially as Portsmouth are not a sugar daddy club.

Also Crawley and Wycombe don't have a reserves or youth-setup at all, so a long-term save there would involve you persuading the board to invest in those areas as you grew as a manager, and add to the challenge/difficulty level.

Good to get approval from the overlords, cheers Gripper. It would be great if you do your own updates in here too, I think that would be a welcome things for us mortals ;)

Agree there are plenty of tough challenges in League 2. The ones you mentioned plus Accrington, Morecambe, York, Northampton (because of the debt, although it's a little less than the game says it is), and even Barnet and AFC Wimbledon wouldn't be easy. Everybody likes different levels of challenge though I guess, and the variety is good.

I had a BETA start with Oxford and although no money and a big debt meant no signings, I was still well in the hunt for promotion. Last year with Exeter and Carlisle was much more testing, which I loved.

Loving it too!!

PVPV - isn't it kinda cheating to get a parent club in, seeing as that is not really an English thing?

Well it's in the game so not really, plus I had no success in loaning anyone in as the players on the loan list had no interest in joining :lol:

Add to that I'm bringing and training the youth players (all HG), some up and comers so that is IMO "An English thing" :)

Doesn't Bury from League 1 have Manchester city as a parent club? Just curious ..

Think that's more to do with the fact they use their world class training facilities than loans. They might even play them in a friendly in pre-season as part of the agreement. Could be wrong of course.

Finished my 2nd season in Championship with Morecambe 2022 and after the season i got a tycoon a hungarian one and here it goes my dream of wheeling and dealing to the premiership , put 30 mil pounds in the transfer budget so frustrating and so tempting . Atleast i made him expand my tiny 6 k stadium and we play a year at Ewood Park since Blackburn is in League one and -12 because of administration hopefully we get some decent crowds:)

Doesn't Bury from League 1 have Manchester city as a parent club? Just curious ..

Think we had Arsenal as our parent club back when Steve Bruce managed us, we had Nicklas Bendtner, Patrice Muamba on loan

Pretty sure Kidderminster Harriers is our current feeder club, a few U21's have been loaned to them.

The game does reflect Man City as being an affiliate of Bury, with loans being part of that agreement.

It is kind of rare though, and I would imagine in reality it's more likely a development benefit to each club, and not really done to give the smaller outfit a financial boost. I think that's the point that Gripper might have been trying to make, but I'll let him answer for himself :)

The text for all 72 club previews has now been done. I might add more bits and pieces as we go, but that's enough to help people pick a club, consider which players might be most important, and perhaps give some transfer options from those named within. Hope it helps a little.

Archived