Potential Ability and Non-League

Did a quick search on here for any similar threads, so thought I'd start this.

I've been thinking about PA and FM recently, particularly within non-league football and applicable almost entirely to UK (I don't really play enough FM outside of the English leagues to have an opinion on whether this is relevant for other regions). Also, the BBC published this article today, which is particularly relevant.

Over the many, many seasons I've played FM across many different saves, I've noticed a distinct lack of non-league regens who make it in the top end of professional leagues (Premiership and Championship). 3 FMs ago I found a regen at Boreham Wood who got into the England side, but that's it. Seriously. Absolutely nothing else. In real life, we've got the likes of Vardy and Smalling in the current England squad, whereas Dwight Gayle went for £4.5m two and a half years ago after scoring plenty in the Championship, Andre Gray has just been sold for £6.25m rising to £9.5m, Michail Antonio for £7m, and there are the likes of Harry Arter, Ashley Williams, Craig Dawson, Neil Taylor, Lee Tomlin, Yannick Bolasie, etc. currently playing in the EPL despite having started their careers in non-league.

I don't feel that FM caters for these types of players at all within their regen engine. Also, I've been trying to find examples in saves of players developing significantly at an advanced stage in their careers or, for example, past the age of 24, and shooting up the football pyramid - similar to a few of those examples listed above.

Is there something in the editor which may allow for non-league teams to develop strong PA players every now and then, and on a random basis? Or is this randomness too difficult to include in the game? Or is it just my own experiences, and other players of FM have seen much more variety in this respect?

This isn't meant to be a whine or complaint or anything similar, but it is an aspect of the game I think should be addressed in order to level up with real life player development.

It has been mentioned before. In my view PA should not really be much different between big and small clubs youths. The CA on the other hand should be. So a player at a small club can develop slowly into becoming a star player.

Having said that, on my holiday save on FM16 beta, the anchor of PSG played for Jena on level four in Germany until he was 20. It might have been a very rare case, but it could also be something that is improved upon in the new game.

The only way I can see this working is if we make a fundamental change to the way PA works.

At the moment PA can go down after a serious injury etc but it will not go up. I think I have an answer for this and it goes something like this.

A player as created with his PA and CA. Pa is generally stable but certain life(game) events can change Mental attributes and PA at an older age.

Two players are created both 16 years old both strikers. One finds himself at Manchester United, the other finds himself at Maidstone United. They both have a PA of 125. The premier League Youngster has a CA of 90 the Non League has a CA of 45. Reputation is sitting around the level of CA. Both players have identical mental stats.

The two players then begin their footballing Journeys.

Pre Contract

First Pro Deal

Loan

Reserve Football

Debut

First Team Regular

Transfer

Released

'Growing Up'

Each of these steps can alter a players PA and even cause a small jump in CA to reflect a change in attitude. A change in his mental ability.

Player A signs his First Contract at Manchester United, he thinks he has made it and his professionalism and work rate drops slightly. (This should be rare at this stage)

Player A struggles to make an impact in the reserves and at 19 years old with a year left on his current deal he is loaned to Gillingham. He is shocked by the change in in standards (and cars in the car park!) and after his year long loan he returns to Manchester united a changed man. He is more determined to succeed and his CA is increased and his mental stats increase resulting in a higher PA.

He begins to excel in the reserves and is given a taste of the first team. He loves it, he works harder still and his PA increases and his mental stats rise again. Then after a handful of appearances the manager gives him a one year extension to take him up to 21 years old. As the new deal comes to an end, the player is told he will be released. His contract ends and he leaves the club. He can then suffer a PA drop as his mental stats take a bashing or he can drop down a few levels and be determined to prove the doubters wrong. He moves to league one, determined to get back to the premier league and his PA is boosted again and his mental stats help him to perform week in week out. He moves back the premier league and ends up playing for England.

The Maidstone player gets a taste of first team football at young age, this helps him develop quickly and the local press report in him. His PA improves as he becomes desperate to impress the football league scouts. He joins Gillingham at 20 years old and either struggles to adapt to the new level (PA drop) or loves the professional life and refuses to drop back to non-league (PA increase with mental stats) he gets off to a flying start at Gillingham and the national press are impressed with his work rate and skill and he gets a further boost to CA PA and mental stats. The big clubs come calling and he moves the premier league before playing for England.

That is just a couple of scenarios. It is right that every club does not have the next Jamie Vardy in the squad, but it is wrong that the Jamie Vardy scenario doesn't really happen in FM. Having a PA that can (rarely) be changed by life events is the only way I can think of that FM can produce Jamie Vardy replicas. The reverse is true, an injury or just a lack of porfessionalism could see a 21 year old England international fall down the leagues as he fails to move on to the next level (Francis Jeffers for example)

Archived