A little tip for my 4-4-1-1

I managed to create a quite solid counter attacking system for my team.

GK/D

DR-WB/A

DL-WB/S

DC-D

DC-D

MR-W/A

ML-WM/A

MCL-DLP/D

MCR-CM/D

AMC-AMC/S

FC-CF/A

mentality: counter/flexible

TI: retain possesion, fairly wide, exploit flanks, look for overlap, normal defensive line, closing down sometimes

The problem is, when winning the ball in my half by my two CM's, my AMC comes deep to get the ball. When he gets it there are optios for him on the lanks an my CF. Thing is, that both wide players are staying too wide and far from him. I would like for them to come narrower a bit, to give him better passing options. I've tried giving my MR-W/A player instruction of roam from postition, it seems he is more willing to get inside a bit.

Does anyone maybe have some other idea how to do it. BTW, both CM's need to be on defensive duty, because that is what's giving me stability in defence. I don't want to change that. I'd like to use my wide players as an attack options.

I've tried formations like this numerous times and the issues are kid of obvious.

Basically your centre sits in and your wide players stay out wide. Your striker gets isolated and is easy to deal with, so you offer no attacking threat.

The solution is really, if you want to be using wingbacks, then they need to have space in front of them to run into. There is none with a winger there. I would suggest having one of your wingers turn into more of a central running player by giving them sit narrower and cut inside. You can alternate that with a winger on the other side and a support fullback behind him to give some balance.

I would consider a DLP-S for one of your central players if you aren't getting enough support centrally. I'd consider it for games where you dominate but don't create much. No point having that solidity for every game.

The above reply seems like a senible option. Alternatively, you could try your AMC with 'Move Into Channels', or change him to a Treq, to get him moving around a bit more, picking up the ball closer to the wings.

Interesting. I have a very similar setup for my away tactics (and home to good teams). I don't feel like I have the problem you describe though, but I have a different set up with roles.

Here's what I'm using

uy0rg6i.png

It's on Counter/structured and my only instructions are Look for overlap and Work ball into box

PI on the WML is Dribble more, Cut inside, Sit Narrower

The only other PIs are close down less on the CD-c and tackle harder and mark tighter on the DLP-D

I will say though the I do occasionally get stuck in some games, but a few changes will usually sort it out. In addition it requires some skills from the players. I'm very reliant on the AP-A and and CF-s being able to dribble and create something that way. That is unless my wingers are having a good day and chip in with goals, which they quite often do.

This tactic is very solid for me. Got me 14 wins out 19 in the league away from home last season, but as I eluded to, it might be down to the players and not the tactic. Martial scored 49 goals last season. He has Move into channels PPM btw.

I've tried formations like this numerous times and the issues are kid of obvious.

Basically your centre sits in and your wide players stay out wide. Your striker gets isolated and is easy to deal with, so you offer no attacking threat.

The solution is really, if you want to be using wingbacks, then they need to have space in front of them to run into. There is none with a winger there. I would suggest having one of your wingers turn into more of a central running player by giving them sit narrower and cut inside. You can alternate that with a winger on the other side and a support fullback behind him to give some balance.

I would consider a DLP-S for one of your central players if you aren't getting enough support centrally. I'd consider it for games where you dominate but don't create much. No point having that solidity for every game.

Your advice is good, I have another set up for the same system that I use for home games and for games I expect to be a better side with control mentality. In that set up, player roles are a bit different and close to what you are suggesting.

Thing is, only with both CM's on defend have I managed to get a solid defensive system for tough games. Switching AM to Trq is a thing I considered but haven't tried because then I would have CM's on defend and wide players plus AM on attack. I don't know if that would work. Wouldn't there be a huge gap between CM's and the rest of them?

I'll try to give WML instruction to sit narrower. Maybe make him Wide playmaker on support and give AM, attack duty? Maybe that could work..

Your advice is good, I have another set up for the same system that I use for home games and for games I expect to be a better side with control mentality. In that set up, player roles are a bit different and close to what you are suggesting.

Thing is, only with both CM's on defend have I managed to get a solid defensive system for tough games. Switching AM to Trq is a thing I considered but haven't tried because then I would have CM's on defend and wide players plus AM on attack. I don't know if that would work. Wouldn't there be a huge gap between CM's and the rest of them?

I'll try to give WML instruction to sit narrower. Maybe make him Wide playmaker on support and give AM, attack duty? Maybe that could work..

Try it and see what happens. The trick is to actually look and see why you're not creating chances, is there too much of a gap, are your front players getting isolated?

Archived