Experienced FM'er really struggling last two versions

Hi All

I consider myself an experienced football manager player, but the last two versions I have struggled immensely

Starting in the conference south on both versions with Sunday league experience and no coaching qualifications, I have either been sacked or had to resign to prevent the inevitable.

I seem to have started well on both versions in my careers but then after a month or two go on a run of games, around 10 plus without a win, low morale etc

Other than that the tactics where I would be taking to the tactic forums for, is there some fundamental approach I am missing that might cause morale to plummet and such a long terrible run?

Just feels like I am missing somethings obvious after being successful in prior versions before managerial styles were in the game?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Team talk at start and half time for def, Mid, Att "I have faith in your"

If you are losing then setup not to concede. All great teams / managers start from the back. Once you become hard to beat then start to look at hurting other teams

I would say that in the last version morale has taken an even more important role than before.

I was in the same situation as OP, and agree that morale has very much to do with this. After winning several matches, then losing one can turn your team into headless chickens out on the field.

The solution I found, (bet there's many though), was to make small tweaks to your tactics!

Started with changing a couple of small things that wasn't my initial approach but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try like:

Play wider.

Challenge more.

Build offence from back.

And last I changed one of my cm's from box to box to a attacking cm, (thought I would lose out on defence, but actually it worked!)

Off course these things will be different to everyone but it doesn't hurt to try. Found out that the smallest of things can make a huge difference and maybe throw the AI manager off guard.

Good luck!

I'm having this issue, people can say your tactics are **** but its not right, its unrealistic also..

It is right and realistic that when having a bad run of form the player's morale drops.

By adjusting your tactics you might turn a loss into a draw or even a win and boost the player's morale, making them a little happier and possibly perfom better in the next match. When may improve the odds of winning the next game and getting another boost in morale.

Its almost certainly not tactical. Its almost certainly your team talks and general squad morale management.

Not sure I agree with that. Winning teams develop high moral and confidence, losing just the opposite. best way to improve a teams morale is a) stop losing b) start winning.

Chelsea this season are a great example. Not only has their morale significantly dropped from losing so many games, the opposition's moral increases as they no longer fear them. Something Man Utd always used to have when winning the ;league

It is right and realistic that when having a bad run of form the player's morale drops.

By adjusting your tactics you might turn a loss into a draw or even a win and boost the player's morale, making them a little happier and possibly perfom better in the next match. When may improve the odds of winning the next game and getting another boost in morale.

Exactly this I meant. Like Pompey said, look at Chelski, if Mou would stop being stubborn and accept some things is possibly his fault, things could maybe turn around eventually..

I found it difficult to start, particularly to score goals.

For me it was tactical - mainly because I was playing with the Defensive Line, Pressing and Directness too much. I subsequently used the Mentality to decide these things and would only modify based on the watching Match Engine, and what the opposition were doing pressing, containing, exploiting wings, exploiting centre etc

I think the key to any change is to make small changes else you wont know what the change is affecting. Dont expect a small change to be immediately visible, it may take a few games.

Look to become hard to beat

I managed a couple of teams in FM 15 where I was probably very lucky to get the job. And I don't think I had the full respect of the players as I wasn't considered experienced enough by them. When I managed those teams I noticed it was very difficult to raise morale during bad runs of form. So I think your starting qualifications/background probably do play quite a large part in how your squad view you. So that can have a large bearing on managing morale.

My Teamtalk selection 80% + of the time secures me positive (green) reactions, so I don't believe it to be that. Unless even positive reactions can be bad if your motivation managerial stat, is very low, like mine?

Its almost certainly not tactical. Its almost certainly your team talks and general squad morale management.

Sorry, but that is completely wrong and if he pays attention to only that, he'll keep losing. It is 100% tactical at its core- morale is a knock-on effect from that. As pointed out above, win a couple and morale starts to go up. Team talks also do not have the effect that many on the forum think they do. They matter a little bit, and for a fairly short period of time (10 mins or so). They are in no way to blame for an extended run of losses. And you can win matches with your squad having poor morale also. Too many on thee forums have called this Morale Manager and think it matters more than it does. If morale was the main thing here, you could never snap a losing streak. It plays a small role and it matters, but the vast majority of it is tactical.

My Teamtalk selection 80% + of the time secures me positive (green) reactions, so I don't believe it to be that. Unless even positive reactions can be bad if your motivation managerial stat, is very low, like mine?

Don't get too bogged down on them. As I noted above, they do matter, but your problem is tactical. Get that on the right track and the team talks and morale take care of themselves. You can even not give a team talk if you want- it won't matter that much.

Thanks Dr Hook and everyone for the feedback. Looking at the feedback appears it comes down to two things, or a combination of the two:

1) My Tactical Approach

2) Starting Managerial Experience and Lack of Qualifications - Causing a Morale spiral when on a losing run, which means I should play tighter to grab a draw etc and then reverse that run and in turn morale (Again then see Issue 1)

Looking at my approach over the last two versions of the game, when managing lower league, I have always had multiple Team Instructions (six plus), I think at lower level perhaps this is too complicated and needs simplifying and reducing the amount of Team Instructions.

With that in mind, I think I am going to re-read wwfan guide and roles and duties, then strip the Team Instructions right down also.

Green isn't always a good thing just like red isn't always a bad thing.

Green in small doses leads to confidence & belief, in larger doses it leads to overconfidence & complacency.

Red in small doses can fire players up particularly those who have high levels of determination/pressure pushing them to better performances. Red in larger doses can break weak players leading to doubt & a lack of confidence.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having a lot of team instructions, but unless I know exactly what I'm trying to get them to achieve, I would definitely say it's better to start with a couple, then later add more to refine your strategy should it so require. And I'd say this applies regardless of the level really. You can play at the top with "simple" set-ups, and at the bottom with "complex" ones. The real issue as I see it is that the more instructions you have, the harder it is to see where problems lie. Start off simple, make small changes in order to get something that works OK, then start to ramp up the complexity if what you ultimately want to achieve in terms of tactics needs it.

On team talks, have a look at the team talks screen for feedback. It really is under-used and under-appreciated and it gives valuable feedback.

You can also give team talks to limit bringing the team down too much. Instead of being harsh, be more encouraging, for instance.

The AI will change tactics a lot more in the recent versions. Well worth keeping an eye on that and setting instructions on subs along with having a holding tactic for the last 10-15 minutes. It's the difference between a draw and a win and a loss and a draw.

Archived