Play network game offline? (with only LAN connection)

I am not sure if I am posting the right place here, so sorry if that is wrong.

My brother and I started a network game this weekend. Next weekend we are going on a long trip, where we are going to sit on a train for the most of a day, and we would love to be able to continue our FM save while we are on the train, but can we do this if we are not online?

We can bring our computers, and get them on LAN, but we will probably not be able to come online. And I don't know exactly how it finds the game, but I think it is through Steam, and that is going to be a problem, if we are both in Offline Mode.

If it is impossible to do offline, can anyone tell me if it is possible to go online and connect to each other, and then disconnect from the Internet, while maintaining LAN connection, and then play?

Regards

I think it depends on what you mean by "carrying" the game. As far as I am aware it uses Steam to find the games, but the server part definitely runs on the local machine of the player starting the game.

Yeah we will probably just have to try before we go ;)

It shouldnt be a problem playing offline, or online. The principle is the same. You need a connection to each other. You should only need the IP address of the "host" to connect.

In your network at home, if you are not online, you have, for example, a router, to keep the devices in your network connected, so you will have to setup your pc to do the same so to speak, so that you both can connect to each other.

Archived