Peter Banalik - Metamorphosis

edtheguy

March 2029

Board Meeting - Very Secure, delighted with leadership and capture of Angel Maria Etxeberria but disappointed with performance in Champions Cup.

They should be delighted with my leadership. Somehow we are first in La Liga with eleven games to go.  This could be a very interesting end to the season.  It could go really well - like fairytale well - or, um, well, very poorly.  I guess there is only one way to find out.

3/4/29 at Real Sociedad - LIGA BBVA G28 - 4231 vs 4411. We started in a controlling posture and at 6 minutes Angel Maria Etxeberria who was back in the lineup after a game off was also back to scoring ending his short three game goalless spell. Before long Sociedad was even on a ball over the top to a well timed run by their striker Mario Garcia. Ange Maria restored out lead before the half with his second goal of the game.  The second half started frustratingly with another Mario Garcia goal right off the restart and we went attacking, which did put pressure on Sociedad immediately and within 5 minutes they cracked and Luis Perez, who has had a fantastic year creating scoring chances, but not finishing them added a goal for the 3-2 lead. After a Isidoro Martinez goal was disallowed at 85 minutes we pulled back to a defensive posture and saw out the Win 3-2  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, J. Alonso, Iriarte, Santamaria/Calvo (65), R. Martinez, Herrera, L. Perez (POM), I. Martinez, U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (20-3-4 1st) at R. Sociedad (11-6-10 9th)

LIGA BBVA G28

3-2

20 Shots 8

10 On Target 4

11 Fouls 5

59% Possession 41%

Goals: Etxeberria (6,39) Garcia (19,46) L. Perez (50)

Have I mentioned I’m concerned about the goals against yet?

3/10/29 at Las Palmas - LIGA BBVA G29 - 4231 vs 4411.  We set up to take control and did, but couldn’t manage the put the ball in the Las Palmas net.  Fortunately Las Palmas did that for us. Twice.  First Jose Carlos Rufete let a lightening shot go from outside the box, but struck the woodwork only for the ball to ricochet off the back of the diving keeper for the 1-0 lead.  Next a Herrera free kick was headed right to Rufete for a sure goal only to have Las Palmas striker Carlos Costa valiantly dive in front of him and head the ball into his own net.  We did finally add an actual goal on a nice Kike Alonso strike at twenty minutes at least.  Up 3-0 our recent leaky defensive tendencies took over and we gave two back before it was all said and done and only a late save and a timely intervention by our woodwork prevented Las Palmas from coming all the way back. Win 3-2  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, J. Alonso, A. Basauri, Barbero/Calvo (59), Herrera/R. Martinez (59), Rufete, L. Perez, K. Alonso, U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (21-3-4) at Las Palmas (9-8-11 12th)

LIGA BBVA G29

3-2

23 Shots 18

8 On Target 6

9 Fouls 8

62% Possession 38%

Goals: Garate og (1) Costa og (11) K. Alonso (19) Costa (42) Rey (85)

Barcelona and Real Madrid had their second game against each other on Sunday and drew 0-0, meaning we are no 1st through 29 matchdays with 69 points followed by Barcelona with 64 and Madrid with 62.

For the players waiting to see if we make the Champions League (again) so they can stay at the club, we are 16 points ahead of Atletico with 9 games to go.

3/14/29 vs Mallorca - LIGA BBVA G30 - 4231 vs 4411. We started the game attacking and with a couple of lineup changes.  Given our recent defensive struggles both Javier Alonso and Arman Basauri were given the game off, despite good individual performances over our team defensive slump.  Up top Angel Maria was given the game off so both Kike and Isidoro could play.  The first half was the Isidoro Martinez show as he found space in the box twice and scored two nice goals, one in the first five minutes and one in the last. We continued to lay siege to the Mallorca net in the second half and after bringing on Pieo Calvo for an injured Luis Garai and Inigo Aramendia for a struggling Unai Perez we scored a quickfire double with goals from Kike and Aramendia. Karla made a couple routine saves and we had the Win 4-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai/Calvo (61), R. Martinez, Iriarte, Santamaria, Herrera, Rufete, L. Perez, I. Martinez (POM), U. Perez/Aramendia (61), K. Alonso

Athletic (22-3-4 1st) vs Mallorca (9-10-10 10th)

LIGA BBVA G30

4-0

17 Shots 8

10 On Target 4

12 Fouls 7

54% Possession 46%

Goals: I. Martinez (4,41) K. Alonso (66) Aramendia (68)

Well, I guess the different defensive pairing was the right call.  If you aren’t happy with your results then change your actions.

Luis Garai suffered a head injury and will miss a week or so.

Real Madrid won their match over the weekend but Barcelona drew again, 0-0 at Espanyol, so we are seven points clear through 30 games, which is astounding.

Sunday the 18th was match day, but it was also our annual youth intake day.  The intake was average, the best prospect was central midfielder Ignacio Lopez, who has the potential to be just below a star in La Liga, but at 16 is already borderline good enough for Liga Adelante. The candidates will play our U19’s tomorrow.

3/18/29 vs Real Oviedo - LIGA BBVA G31 - 4231 vs 442. We changed two defenders and two attackers from the midweek game and it looked like the train would just keep rolling as Luis Perez finished a nice team move four minutes in for the 1-0 lead.  After that we continued to attack and generate all of the scoring chances but after forcing one nice save we only hit woodwork or shot wide.  Fortunately our defense is still sorted, even a late red for his second yellow to Roberto Iriarte couldn’t hurt us.  Win 1-0 Lineup; Salgado, Larrucea, A. Basauri, Iriarte (RED 90), Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (62), Rufete, L. Perez, I. Martinez (POM), Garcia, Etxeberria/Aramendia (90)

Athletic (23-3-4) vs R. Oviedo (9-10-11 12th)

LIGA BBVA G31

1-0

21 Shots 3

10 On Target 1

13 Fouls 15

58% Possession 42%

Goals: L. Perez (4)

The day after the Oviedo game was the Youth Candidates vs our U19’s. After a closely fought but uninspiring start to the game the youth candidates took the lead at the half hour on a goal from Jokin Dominguez. Shortly after the restart Ignacio Lopez made the coaches look like good talent evaluators as our top prospect started and finished a nice team move to make it 2-0. Ignacio then mad a brilliant individual move to find space and sent Koldo Vazquez in alone for the 3-0 lead. Only a late own goal gave the U19’s, who are near the top of their league any consolation in a 3-1 win for the Youth Candidates.

On Friday Unai Sola was player of the match in Spain U19’s 4-1 win against Northern Ireland. Inigo Garcia and Javier Alonso also had good games.

On Sunday Luis Perez was player of the match in Spain’s senior squad 3-0 win over Hungary.

On Wednesday Luis Perez came down with food poisoning and may miss our match against Cordoba.

3/30/29 at Cordoba - LIGA BBVA G32 - 4231 vs 451. We came out attacking and controlled the game creating chances, but once again we struggled to make anything out of it.  Unai Perez was taken down in the box early in the half, but for the first time ever missed the penalty and his game fell apart after that.  Angel Maria had an awful game as well, but Isidoro Martinez still managed to put us up 1-0 with a late goal.  Cordoba evened the game at the hour mark and we couldn’t answer.  Even bringing Kike in for Angel Maria made little difference. Draw 1-1 Lineup;  

Athletic (24-3-4 1st) at Cordoba (2-10-19 20th)

LIGA BBVA G32

1-1

16 Shots 3

7 On Target 2

16 Fouls 15

55% Possession 45%

Goals: I. Martinez (45) Mroczkowski (59)

Well, hopefully that is the end of that.  We don’t have time for a team funk here.  Our next two games are Atletico and Barcelona so the timing could be perfect for a collapse....

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2029

Board Meeting - Very Secure, delighted with leadership and capture of Angel Maria Etxeberria, but disappointed with Champions Cup.

Angel Maria Etxeberria pulled his hamstring in training and will miss a couple weeks. Not the best of news, but it is the time of year that the wear and tear starts to show on the squad.

4/8/29 at Atletico - LIGA BBVA G33 - 4231 vs 4231.  We set up in a neutral approach and the game was very even for the first few minutes.  Atletico got the lead at the quarter hour mark and we moved it up a notch to try to take control of the game and a little past the half hour mark Isidoro Martinez brought us even.  Tied 1-1 at the half we told the players we weren’t happy and sent them back out to attack.  Shortly after the restart an Unai Perez shot deflected slightly off Atletico defender Matias Arce and in for a goal dubiously deemed to be an own goal to put us ahead 2-1.  We moved back to try to control play and four minutes later Romelu Lukaku scored on a play that was very close to being offside to even the game again.  We once again responded by attacking but saw little progress. Finally at around 75 minutes I put Inigo Aramendia in at striker, taking off Kike and gave the players full freedom to attack as they saw fit.  Less than 10 minutes after coming on Inigo Aramendia had the goal that put us up 3-2 and we just kept attacking to see the game out.  Win 3-2 Lineup; Salgado, Garai (POM), Iriarte/A. Basauri (59), J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, Rufete, L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez, K. Alonso/Aramendia (73)

Athletic (24-4-4 1st) at Atletico (16-8-7 6th)

LIGA BBVA G33

3-2

12 Shots 9

5 On Target 5

19 Fouls 3

56% Possession 44%

Goals: Londono (15) I. Martinez (36) Acre og (50) Lukaku (54) Aramendia (82)

The win puts us at 79 points through 33 match days, 7 points clear of Real Madrid at 72 and 10 ahead of our next opponents Barcelona. If we win 3 of our last five games we can’t be caught.

Luis Garai and Francisco Javier Herrera reached their yellow card limits and will miss the Barcelona match.

According to the press we are comfortable favorites but have to guard against complacency against Barcelona.

4/14/29 vs Barcelona - LIGA BBVA G34 - 4231 vs 442. Thinking I’d learned my lesson from the Madrid game we came out attacking and looked to put pressure on Barcelona for a change.  And we did, we were all over them until they got their first shot on goal, or as I like to call it, goal - from Houssem Chouchane. We didn’t fold and concede nine more goals this time though, we responded thre minutes later as Kike Alonso scored to bring us even.  We controlled play and generated slightly more chances the rest of the game, but there were no more goals.  Draw 1-1   Lineup; Salgado, Larrucea, A. Basauri, J. Alonso, Santamaria, R. Martinez, Rufete, L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez/Aramendia (62), K. Alonso

Athletic (25-4-4) vs Barcelona (20-9-4 3rd)

LIGA BBVA G34

1-1

18 Shots 11

7 On Target 2

11 Fouls 17

52% Possession 48%

Goals: Chouchane (21) K. Alonso (24)

Real Madrid won their match and movet to 5 points back

Here is a news item that sheds a lot of light on why we are doing so well this year - according to the press the big favorite for Spanish Young Player of the year is Inigo Aramendia.  The other players in contention are Luis Garai, Francisco Javier Herrera and Raul Martinez.  Yes they all play for us. Additionally Kike Alonso is in the discussion for Spanish Player of the year.

On Friday Pieo Calvo strained his stomach muscles in the weight room and will miss a couple weeks.

Torino has advanced to the Europa LEague Semi Finals after defeating Nantes in the quarters.

On Saturday Valencia lost to Sevilla 0-1, mathematically clinching our spot in the Champions League next year with four matches to go. Luis Perez and Karla Salgado both told Sal they were happy to stay now that we would be in the Champions League next season.

4/22/29 vs Levante - LIGA BBVA G35 - 4231 vs 4231. We attacked from the start and had an early goal off a nice team move that saw us win individual battles all down the pitch and end with a nice Luis Perez goal.  Before the half was over we had added a Kike Alonso goal off a set piece and a Javier Alonso goal off a corner kick and the game was all but done and dusted. Levante added a late consolation goal in the second half but we finished with a relatively easy Win 3-1 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, A. Basauri/Iriarte (75), J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (63), Aramendia (POM), L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic (25-5-4 1st) vs Levante (15-8-11 8th)

LIGA BBVA G35

3-1

13 Shots 8

6 On Target 3

13 Fouls 5

51% Possession 49%

Goals: L. Perez (7) K. Alonso (20) J. Alonso (33) Menendez (84)

Real Madrid held serve and remains 5 points behind us with three games to go. Barcelona is eliminated from contention as they are still 10 back. We are 20-5-1 over our last 26 games in all competitions.  Of course that doesn’t change the fact that we were 0-1-5 in the Champions League this year.

Cordoba and Almeria are already relegated, Granada is all but, 5 points adrift with three games to go and only Elche and Espanyol are not mathematically safe.

On Friday Unai Perez took a tumble in practice and injured his leg, which will keep him out for a week or two.

4/28/29 at Deportivo - LIGA BBVA G36 - 4231 vs 433. We came out attacking but quickly dropped to a neutral approach as Deportivo was having too much success sitting deep and launching long balls to their three strikers.  The change was effective and just before the half Angel Maria Etxeberria put us ahead in his return from injury.  Isidoro scored shortly after the restart and substitute Jose Carlos Rufete added a late goal in stoppage time for the Win 3-0.  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, A. Basauri, J. Alonso/R. Martinez (61), Santamaria, Herrera/Rufete (66), San Miguel, L. Perez (POM), I. Martinez, Aramendia, Etxeberria/K. Alonso (61)

Athletic (26-5-4 1st) at Deportivo (16-6-13 7th)

LIGA BBVA G36

3-0

23 Shots 15

11 On Target 5

8 Fouls 11

61% Possession 39%

Goals: Etxeberria (40) I. Martinez (49) Rufete (90+1)

Well, job done for this week. Now Madrid has to win tomorrow to stay alive.

On Sunday Real Madrid destroyed Elche 5-2 and did stay alive.

The last match of the year for both Real Madrid and us is after the Spanish Cup final which could make for a very interesting cup final if we don’t win against Sevilla at San Mames next week....  If we do then it will be over and we will be champions.

May 2029

Arsenal and Manchester City both had commanding wins in their Champions League semi final matches - and all EPL final is very probable now.

Diego Fagundez, finishing his  ninth season in Galatasaray announced he would be retiring at the end of the year.

We held a team meeting and everyone was excited at the chance to secure the title next match.

5/5/29 vs Sevilla - LIGA BBVA G37 - 4231 vs 4411. We attacked from the start and looked to be in control right away, but it took two declined penalty shouts, one goal disallowed and  until twenty minutes before Isidoro Martinez finally gave us the lead. Ten Minutes later Luis Garai scored on a free kick that he slotted over the wall and directly into the top corner and we went to the break up 2-0.  Not having allowed a single shot on target we kept attacking and in the second half diminutive wonderkid Francisco Javier Herrera scored to make it three and we cruised to the La Liga title.  Win 3-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai (POM), A. Basauri/Iriarte (64), J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, Rufete/R. Martinez (64), L. Perez, I. Martinez, Aramendia, K. Alonso

Athletic (27-5-4 1st) vs Sevilla (12-7-17 11th)

LIGA BBVA G37

3-0

17 Shots 6

7 On Target 0

9 Fouls 15

53% Possession 47%

Goals: I. Martinez (19) Garai (31) Herrera (53)

That is the club’s first league title since 1984 a span of 45 years. It is the first time someone other than Real Madrid or Barcelona have won it since Atletico Madrid in 2014, 15 years ago.

The board stated their delight at our championship, and the, of course mentioned that they hoped we would be able to focus on the Cup Final now.

Torino defeated Mainz 2-1 and will go to the Europa League Final

5/12/29 vs Real Madrid - Spanish Cup Final - 4231 vs 4231 DM. We attacked from the start and the game was back and forth, with both teams playing well.  Madrid's Jose Carlos put them ahead at 16 minutes with a perfectly placed shot.  At the half hour mark a nice individual effort by Unai PErez had us even and we carried the momentum into the break.  Our edge in play carried into the second half but Madrid’s defence held firm.  Finally at 68 minutes Jose Carlos struck again, kept at a distance from our net he unleashed a rocket from 26 yards into the top corner for the lead that they doubled less than 10 minutes later in a counterattack that ended with a Yaya Fofana goal.  We finally pulled one back at 84 minutes on an Arman Basauri goal off a corner kick, but that was as close as we could get and the clock ticked down to Madrid’s revenge for our league title. Loss 2-3 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, A. Basauri, J. Alonso/Iriarte (45), Calvo, Herrera, Aramendia, L. Perez, I. Martinez/Etxeberria (67), U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic vs R. Madrid

Spanish Cup Final

2-3

12 Shots 8

7 On Target 5

15 Fouls 5

55% Possession 45%

Goals: Jose Carlos (16,68) U. Perez (31) Fofana (76) A. Basauri (84)

Luis Perez was named Spanish Player of the year. Unai Perez finished third. Luis dedicated the award to me, saying I was the key reason he was able to perform so well this year.

Somehow Barcelona's Sebastian Meyer won Spanish Young Player of the year with Luis Garai finishing second and Inigo Aramendia finishing third.

Javier Alonso, Enrique Santamaria, Jesus Barbero, and Inigo Garcia are on international duty with the Spain U20 team and will be absent for our last match.

5/20/29 at Osasuna - LIGA BBVA G38 - 4231 vs 4231. We attacked all game and at the half hour mark Luis Perez, starting in the AMC position so he could finish plays instead of starting them in his normal playmaking role on the right ran onto a nice Luis Garai cross and scored our first goal.  Despite clear dominance we started the second half only up 1-0, but at 50 minutes Angel Maria Etxeberria made it two and at 74 minutes Luis Perez scored his second and we were cruising.  We cruised a little too much as Osasuna got a late consolation goal to ruin our clean sheet, but it was still a comfortable Win 3-0 Lineup; Garrido, Garai, A. Basauri/R. Martinez (74), Sola, Calvo, Herrera, Aramendia (POM), Larrucea/I. Martinez (57), L. Perez, U. Perez, Etxeberria/K. Alonso (65)

Athletic (28-5-4 1st) at Osasuna (12-8-17 12th)

LIGA BBVA G38

3-1

16 Shots 11

9 On Target 3

4 Fouls 7

52% Possession 48%

Goals: L. Perez (28,74) Etxeberria (50) Revuelta (83)

That concludes what has to be considered a very successful season with the league title despite disappointments in the cup final and the Champions League. If our current batch of young players continue to develop we should have a very high quality squad for the next few years - I’ll have to make sure the managing is at the same level. We also need to work on finding more young players to bring in for the next generation, our last couple youth intakes won’t be enough.

LIGA BBVA Awards:

Spanish League Player of the Year - Houssem Chouchane, FC Barcelona (Luis Perez finished 3rd)

LIGA BBVA Top Goalscorer - Houssem Chouchane, FC Barcelona - 39

LIGA BBVA Top Spanish Goalscorer - Unai Perez, Athletic - 24

LIGA BBVA Goalkeeper of the Year - Mahmoud Karoul, Real Madrid (Karla Salgado finished 2nd)

LIGA BBVA Manager of the Year - Peter Banalik, Athletic

LIGA BBVA Team of the Season included Luis Garai, Luis Perez, and Unai Perez in the first team and Kike Alonso in the substitutes.

Spanish Most Improved Team of the Year - Real Betis B. SAD

Athletic End of Season Awards;

Fans Player of the season - Luis Perez (55%)

Goal of the Season - Francisco Javier Herrera vs Sevilla - Saturday 5th May 2029 a brilliant placed shot from outside the box to the top far corner.

Signing of the Season - Isidoro Martinez

Young Player of the Season - Luis Perez

Stats;

Top Goalscorer - Unai Perez 25

Highest Average Rating - Luis Perez - 8.13

Most Assists - Kike Alonso and Isidoro Martinez - 13

Best Pass Completion - Raul Martinez - 83%

Most Player of the Match Awards - Isidoro Martinez - 8

Most Yellow Cards - Arman Basauri - 11

Most Red Cards - Enrique Santamaria - 2

“Few will have tipped Athletic to achieve more than continental qualification at best heading into the season but Los Leones confounded every expectation by finishing top of the piel as unlikely champions” - worldsoccer.com

Competitions Review -

Champions League - Knocked out in Group Stage

LIGA BBVA - Winner

Spanish Cup - Lost in Final (v R. Madrid)

Spanish Super Cup - Lost in Final (v R. Madrid)

Match of the Season - Athletic 3-0 Sevilla 5/5/29 LIGA BBVA

Moment to Forget - Athletic 0-2 Valencia 18/2/29 LIGA BBVA

Average Attendance - 50,168 (94% full)

Total Players Used - 23 Joint 14th highest (7th lowest?) in LIGA BBVA

I told the squad we should aim for Champions League next year and they all wanted to repeat as Champions.

End of Season Board Meeting - Untouchable, absolutely delighted with my performance. They also feel the club's performance in competitions entered this season was very good, highlighted by the fantastic overall performance in the league.  Additionally they highlighted this year's signings which they felt were very successful, particularly Isidoro Martinez.  They closed the meeting by adding that overall the player performances were very good as well, singling out Inigo Aramendia.  Not a single negative.  I should quit while I’m ahead.

On Wednesday the 23rd Torino defeated Liverpool 2-0 in the final to win the Europa League.

Pos	Inf	Team		Pld	Won	Drn	Lst	For	Ag	Won	Drn	Lst	For	Ag	GD	Pts
1st	C	Athletic	38	15	2	2	49	12	14	3	2	51	29	59	92
2nd	ECC	R. Madrid	38	16	2	1	53	10	11	4	4	43	19	67	87
3rd	ECC	FC Barcelona	38	15	4	0	47	11	8	7	4	29	22	43	80
4th	EC	Valencia	38	13	4	2	41	18	9	5	5	34	27	30	75
5th	EC	R. Betis	38	11	6	2	31	11	9	4	6	31	28	23	70
6th	EC	Atlético	38	11	4	4	36	21	9	5	5	25	19	21	69
7th		Levante		38	11	5	3	35	21	6	3	10	24	34	4	59
8th		Deportivo	38	12	2	5	38	23	5	4	10	22	33	4	57
9th		R. Sociedad	38	10	3	6	35	32	5	7	7	23	34	-8	55
10th		Mallorca	38	10	3	6	19	14	4	8	7	20	31	-6	53
11th		Sevilla		38	8	2	9	28	27	5	5	9	20	31	-10	46
12th		Villarreal	38	7	5	7	22	24	4	6	9	20	35	-17	44
13th		Osasuna		38	6	5	8	20	30	6	3	10	20	27	-17	44
14th		Las Palmas	38	6	4	9	43	39	4	6	9	16	26	-6	40
15th		R. Oviedo	38	5	9	5	22	19	4	3	12	26	41	-12	39
16th		Espanyol	38	7	2	10	25	29	4	2	13	16	35	-23	37
17th		Elche		38	6	8	5	38	33	1	5	13	14	37	-18	34
18th	R	Granada		38	4	7	8	20	27	2	4	13	15	40	-32	29
19th	R	Córdoba		38	1	10	8	20	32	2	3	14	15	44	-41	22
20th	R	Almería		38	3	3	13	16	43	1	3	15	12	46	-61	18

Athletic Bilbao 2028-2029 Final Stats, All Competitions

Position	Inf	Name	Apps	Gls	Ast	PoM	Pas %	Tck	DrbPG	Shot %	Yel	Red	Av Rat
GK	Wnt	Karla Salgado	31	0	0	0	80%	-	-	-	0	0	7.08
DR	Wnt	Luis Garai	33 (1)	1	11	5	82%	3.78	3.32	35%	9	0	7.94
DCR	Wnt	Arman Basauri	42 (3)	3	0	0	73%	4.79	0.92	33%	11	0	7.28
DCL	Int	Javier Alonso	34 (2)	1	1	0	81%	4.58	1.01	27%	5	0	7.16
DL	Int	E Santamaría	41 (1)	1	3	0	81%	4.31	1.60	80%	5	2	7.36
MCR		FJ Herrera	27 (3)	4	9	0	79%	3.68	1.15	40%	7	1	7.46
MCL		Íñigo Aramendía	23 (12)	4	9	2	81%	3.11	1.64	42%	5	0	7.42
AMR		Luis Pérez	36 (1)	7	11	6	76%	1.53	3.03	53%	1	0	8.13
AMCR		I Martínez	35 (3)	15	13	8	78%	1.29	3.15	51%	2	0	7.97
AML	Wnt	Unai Pérez	35 (2)	25	7	5	76%	1.31	3.68	58%	1	0	7.63
STCL	Wnt	Kike Alonso	34 (6)	19	13	3	78%	1.10	3.27	41%	1	0	7.81
S1	Wnt	Iker Garrido	23	0	0	1	74%	-	-	-	0	0	7.12
S2	PR	Peio Calvo	17 (13)	0	4	2	82%	3.65	1.45	75%	1	0	7.27
S3	Wnt	Roberto Iriarte	24 (4)	0	1	0	72%	4.00	0.64	17%	4	1	6.98
S4		Unai Sola	10 (5)	1	0	0	71%	4.29	0.70	60%	2	1	6.95
S5	Int	Jesús Barbero	14 (3)	0	1	0	81%	3.32	1.33	25%	4	0	7.03
S6		Raúl Martínez	28 (14)	2	2	0	84%	4.42	1.06	32%	5	0	7.14
S7	Wnt	Iosu Vicuña	12 (7)	0	1	0	83%	3.20	0.67	25%	2	1	7.03
S8		I Larrucea	21 (7)	1	7	2	77%	2.04	3.39	55%	2	0	7.76
S9		Í San Miguel	28 (1)	6	7	3	79%	2.52	0.88	40%	3	0	7.56
S10		JC Rufete	20 (15)	7	5	0	78%	2.59	1.63	36%	2	0	7.21
S11	PR	ÁM Etxeberria	29 (3)	23	6	2	76%	0.48	2.38	49%	1	0	7.40
S12	Int	Iñigo García	10 (5)	3	3	3	82%	1.40	2.18	41%	1	0	7.52
-		Daniel Basauri	5 (1)	0	0	0	70%	6.00	0.51	33%	2	0	6.95
-	Trn	M Intxausti	3	0	0	0	57%	-	-	-	0	0	6.60
-	Wnt	Mikel Martínez	9 (2)	10	4	2	79%	0.97	2.58	62%	0	0	7.74

June 2029

Board Meeting - Untouchable, absolutely delighted, fantastic overall performance in LIGA BBVA but disappointed with performance in Champions Cup.

Arsenal won the Champions League beating Man City 2-1 in the final.  This gives the Gunners a quintuple - Champions League, Premier Division, Club World Championship, European Super Cup, and English Community Shield.

On Sunday the 10th we got our financial reports and despite my two megabuck signings we passed financial fair play, with a 245M profit. On the other hand we didn’t have any reportable income for tax purposes and avoided a tax bill.

Our sponsorship deals were way up, but broadcasting and prize money were down almost the same amount.

I rejected a bid from Tottenham for Arman Basauri on the 13th and the player told me no uncertain terms that he wanted to move to a better league as soon as possible.

On the 16th the European Competitions Rankings were announced and LIGA BBVA dropped three spots to 5th while the EPL was still 1st.  That explains Arman’s position.

As a club we moved up 4 places to 33rd while Arsenal remained first.

Spain dropped a place in the European coefficient table and we will now only 1 team to the Europa League group stage instead of 2 and 2 teams, instead of 1 will enter at the third qualifying round.

Our HOYD Gabi had a meeting with me to report that left back Jesus Barbero has had some personal issues off the field that are affecting his attitude and ambition.

We signed Luis Garai to a new 5 year deal with a 71M free release as we had been getting bids with incentives that were already over his current 33M free release.

Spurs made another offer for the 11.25M valued Arman Basauri that we negotiated up slightly and accepted.

On Friday the 22nd Arman signed with Tottenham for 12.75M.

On Monday the 25th Iosu Vicuna signed with Bournemouth for 16.25M.

At the end of the month both Diego Fagundez and Marco Benassi retired.

I'm being followed wherever I go again, or still for all I know, but at least my latest 'friendly' shadow is the most social one yet. He even came up to me while I was waiting in line for coffee one morning and struck up a conversation. Now we wave good morning and goodnight to each other every day.

July 2029

Arsenal topped the list of rich clubs, we moved up 9 spots to 20th.

Board Meeting - Untouchable, absolutely delighted with how I am leading the team highlighted by performance in LIGA BBVA, however the decision to let Arman Basauri leave is regarded as a poor piece of business.

With staff contracts expiring at the end of June we brought on a new HOYD and DOF, and within two days our new DOF, Monchi who we hired from Sevilla where he had the same position, made a 10.25M offer for our former centre back 25 year old Egoitz Gonzalez, who we sold to Man City for 27M at his request my first year here and is now with Juve. Egoitz is two years older than the recently departed Arman Basuari and not quite as good - but he is close enough and better in some key areas, that it might actually work out.

Our offer was accepted on the 6th and we negotiated terms at 2.65M/yr, which is not much at all for a player once sold for top dollar.

On the 9th the club reputation list was out and we sat 7th in the world, behind Real Madrid, Arsenal, AS Monaco, FC barcelona, Atletico and Dortmund.  So we are still 4th in our own league…

On the 10th the new LIGA BBVA schedule was announced and we will open at Levante on the 26th August.

On the 11th Egoitz (re)signed with us.

Two days later, on the 13th Monchi made an offer for Man City’s defender 27 year old Benat Garai, who I cancelled a move for last year, but had been considering making an offer for myself before Monchi landed us Egoitz.

Iker Garrido wanted to go to OL. Told him he’d be going nowhere.

I once again walked away from the Benat Garai deal.  He wanted 4M/yr and in over ten years has never had an average match rating above 6.5 in La Liga or the EPL.  He did play well two years ago in the second tier of French Football though.

On the 16th the players reported back except Kike Alonso, Unai Perez, Luis Perez, and Karla Salgado, who are still on international duty.  Ismael Serrano our new young third string goalkeeper is injured and Rufete, Aramendia, Raul Martinez, Iriarte and Gonzalez were all given top marks for fitness.

7/16/29 vs Athletic U19’s - Friendly - 4231 vs 4231. We slept walked through the first half putting in a half a$$ed performance and actually trailed 1-0 at the break.  That would have been less embarrassing if we actually still had skill at the U19 level, but all of our good prospects have been moved up. Fortunately we showed up for the second half and finally scored. Five times. Win 5-1  

Athletic vs Athletic U19’s

Friendly

5-1

27 Shots 3

12 On Target 1

9 Fouls 12

59% Possession 41%

Goals: Sola (17) Etxeberria (46) Aramendia (55) San Miguel (66) Miguel (83,85)

The press asked about Iker Garrido, I gave my standard no comment.

We instituted a new attacking 5212 formation with wing backs as a third option.

7/20/29 vs Tarbes Pyrenees Football - Friendly - 4231 vs 4411. We started the game in our base 4231 for the first quarter hour then switched to the 5212 to see the contrast.  We scored twice with the base and 6 times with the 5212.  We did allow one in the 5212, but it was a comedy of errors that saw a clear bounce off a defender to an open Tarbes player.  More importantly I liked what I saw from the 5212 both offensively and defensively against weaker opposition, we will see how it holds up against better competition.

Athletic vs Tarbes Pyrenees Football

Friendly

8-1

26 Shots 3

14 On Target 1

2 Fouls 12

62% Possession 38%

Goals: K. Alonso (10,42,83,84) Aramendia (24) U. Perez (29,45) Martin (66) Herrera (77)

Speaking of better competition, our next friendly is against Liverpool.

Newcastle signed Benat Garai

7/25/29 vs Liverpool - Friendly - 4231 vs 532. This was a good test for the 5212. We started in our base tactic and had a slight edge in play, but not chances as Liverpool set up to defend out normal short passing.  When Liverpool went up one on the half hour mark we went to the attacking 5212 and controlled the rest of the game completely, but only netted one goal.  Draw 1-1.

Athletic vs Liverpool

Friendly

1-1

17 Shots 12

5 On Target 4

13 Fouls 5

54% Possession 46%

Goals: Popescu (32) I. Martinez (58)

We now have the five board arranged away friendlies, starting with one in Vercelli against Serie C outfit Pro Vercelli in three days.

7/28/29 at Pro Vercelli - Friendly - 4231 vs 442. Well we weren’t exactly sharp, we stumbled around aimlessly for most of the game.  Kike managed to remember where the net was late in the first half, but that was about it. Win 1-0  

Athletic at Pro Vercelli

Friendly

1-0

14 Shots 4

3 On Target 0

8 Fouls 11

51% Possession 49%

Goals: K. Alonso (39)

Jose Carlos Rufete strained his stomach muscles in the weight room and will miss a couple weeks.

A little late to the party I know, but just to say congratulations on a frankly ridiculous achievement. To win La Liga with the restrictions of Bilbao is a nigh-on miracle, I'm pretty sure if this was reality, Peter would be at the top of most clubs' managerial shortlists! I'm curious to see what the follow-up looks like, and whether it's a case of after the lord mayor's show, or whether the CL is finally cracked. Either way, great work as ever!

3 hours ago, EvilDave said:

A little late to the party I know, but just to say congratulations on a frankly ridiculous achievement. To win La Liga with the restrictions of Bilbao is a nigh-on miracle, I'm pretty sure if this was reality, Peter would be at the top of most clubs' managerial shortlists! I'm curious to see what the follow-up looks like, and whether it's a case of after the lord mayor's show, or whether the CL is finally cracked. Either way, great work as ever!

Thank you - ridiculous is exactly right.  Especially after years of trying to crack Serie A with the only restriction being a small budget and not being able to do better than 4th or 5th, even after Juve inexplicably fell from grace.  Bilbao had an abundance of youth talent when Peter took over, and honestly the restrictions made me - er, him -  pay more attention to things like training and player retention and the best use of the squad available. The masterstroke was really retraining the Perez boys to play their new positions. It was still an unbelieveable season - a good contrast to all of Peter’s frustrating seasons before :) Not a single job offer though, which I probably could have written into the storyline, oh well….

August 2029

Board Meeting - very secure, delighted with leadership, last season's successes remain fresh in memory, approve of tight control of payroll.  Decision to let Arman Basauri leave is considered to be poor.

8/1/29 at Hamburg - Friendly - 4231 vs 442. Not good. More stumbling. We made Hamburg look good. They’re welcome. Draw 1-1

Athletic at Hamburg

Friendly

1-1

17 Shots 6

5 On Target 2

7 Fouls 7

55% Possession 45%

Goals: Etxeberria (16) Mehelm (64)

Main tactic and main squad for the rest of the pre season now. The subs are mostly fit.

8/4/29 at Portugalete - Friendly - 4231 vs 442 ND. There was considerably less aimless stumbling in this game. Until we changed to our 5212 and made substitutions at halftime, then it was back. Win 8-0

Athletic at Portugalete

Friendly

8-0

47 Shots 0

24 On Target 0

3 Fouls 10

57% Possession 43%

Goals: U. Perez (5,8,13) Aramendia (9,44) Etxeberria (29,45+1) K. Alonso (66)

OL has changed their search to a different keeper, and when the news hit the press Iker announced he was now happy to stay at San Mames.  That’s what I thought Iker.

8/8/29 at Zalla - Friendly - 4231 vs 4213. Our starters and 4231 are ready to go, scoring 7 first half goals.  The 5212 not so much scoring 0 goals in the second half until some late tweaking netted two.  

Athletic at Zalla

Friendly

9-0

56 Shots 1

30 On Target 0

3 Fouls 16

67% Possession 33%

Goals: Etxeberria (7,9,84) U. Perez (13,87) K. Alonso (17) Herrera (21) Larrucea (45) Aramendia (45+2)

Now Club Brugge is bidding for Garrido, I’m rejecting those too.

We still sit third in the Sky Bet odds for the coming season at 7-4. First are REal Madrid at evens and second are Barcelona at 5-4.

8/13/29 at Hannover - Friendly - 4231 vs 442. We didn’t get anywhere in the first quarter of the game and moved into the 5212 which was moderately better, netting a 1-0 lead but little else. Late in the game Hannover went attacking and we had no answer, which was concerning. Draw 1-1.

Athletic at Hannover

Friendly

1-1

9 Shots 11

3 On Target 6

7 Fouls 4

47% Possession 53%

Goals: K. Alonso (49) Stenander (80)

Next up is the first leg of the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid.

8/17/29 at Real Madrid - Spanish Super Cup Leg 1 - 4231 vs 4231 DM. We came out in our base 4231 and were clearly second best. After the quarter hour mark we moved up to attack and shortly afterwards Veselin Vujadinovic scored.  He added a second goal just before the half and we still hadn’t managed a shot on target.  In the second half we tried to be more direct and it helped a little, we finally ended with the 5212 for kicks and looked alright.  Loss 0-2 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (83), Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), I. Martinez, U. Perez/Etxeberria (83), K. Alonso

Athletic at Real Madrid

Spanish Super Cup Leg 1

0-2

9 Shots 17

2 On Target 5

14 Fouls 5

51% Possession 49%

Goals: Vujadinovic (27,40)

It won't take long to put us out of our misery as the second leg is in three days.

8/20/29 vs Real Madrid - Spanish Super Cup Leg 2 - 4231 vs 4231 DM. We started in our base tactic looking to control the game and had the advantage early.  At 21 minutes Unai Perez took a ball on the left wing and cut inside using a nice individual move to beat two defenders and put us on the board.  Five minutes later he struck again and the tie was level.  We started the second half as you were and inside ten minutes Madrid had their second scoring chance of the game and this time it was Vujadinovic splitting the defense and he didn’t miss. Now we would need to score twice to win the tie so we went attacking and more direct - and scored off the restart with Isidoro Martinez doing the honors.  As the clock ticked down Madrid pulled back into a defensive 4141 and held us at bay. Finally we moved to an overload tactic and at 90 minutes a scramble in the box fell to Unai Perez who completed his hat trick and put us up 4-3 in the tie.  It was our turn to pull back to defense and hod, which we did. Win 4-1 (4-3)  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez/Iriarte (62), J. Alonso, Santamaria, R. Martinez, Aramendia, L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez (POM), K. Alonso/Etxeberria (45)

Athletic at Real Madrid

Spanish Super Cup Leg 2

4-1 (4-3)

16 Shots 4

8 On Target 2

11 Fouls 12

60% Possession 40%

Goals: U. Perez (21,26,90+2) Vujadinovic (54) I. Martinez (56)

Kike Alonso suffered a head injury in an aerial challenge in the first half and had to leave the game.  He will miss about a week.

On the 25th the board sent their competition expectations -

Champions League - Reach First Knockout Round

LIGA BBVA - Qualify for Champions League

Spanish Cup - not important

The ticket office reported on the 26th that they had sold all 48,132 season tickets that were available for the season. On the heels of that announcement I asked for a meeting with the board and asked them to expand the stadium, which they agreed to immediately.

The planned expansion his the news, after the board spends 61M in the offseason we will have a capacity of 59,996, up form 53,332.  I’m thinking a new stadium might make more sense, but that’s not my call I guess.

My friendly shadow, who says his name is Luis, took a selfie of the two of us standing in line at the coffee shop before the club left for our season opening league game in Valencia against Levante.  I’ve got a slew of rabid fans around town since our unexpected title season, but he is definitely the most unnerving.

8/26/29 at Levante - LIGA BBVA G1 - 4231 vs 4411. We started looking to control the game and did, but Levante was able to hold us to long shots for most of the first half.  We did finally break them down on a nice Angel Maria Etxeberria goal just before the half. The second half was just as much of a struggle as we didn’t even threaten their net and only two outstanding Karla Salgado saves kept us in the lead. We stayed solid enough that I hadn’t made any major changes when, at 77 minutes Unai Perez scored to put us up two.  I thought about substituting Luis Garai, who was on a yellow,m but figured we could just see out the last 13 minutes as is.  That was the wrong call as Luis picked up his second yellow at 85 minutes and we were in our defensive tactic with no AMC. Then five minutes later former Torino right back Ruben Duarte picked up a straight red for a foul in the box and Unai Perez scored from the spot to put us up three.  Win 3-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai (RED), Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, R. Martinez (64), Aramendia/Rufete (73), L. Perez, I. Martinez/Calvo (85), U. Perez (POM), Etxeberria

Athletic (0-0-0) at Levante (0-0-0)

LIGA BBVA G1

3-0

22 Shots 4

9 On Target 2

9 Fouls 7

58% Possession 42%

Goals: Etxeberria (45) U. Perez (77, pen 90+4)

We had fifteen players called up for international duty for the upcoming international games-

U19’s - Unai Sola and Alex Miguel

U21’s - Enrique Santamaria, Raul Martinez, Javier Alonso, and Jesus Barbero

Spain - Luis Perez, Isidoro Martinez, Angel Maria Etxeberria, Unai Perez, Egoitz Gonzalez, Luis Garai, Karla Salgado, Inigo Aramendia, and Francisco Javier Herrera

The Champions League group Stage Draw was held on the 30th and we were the 7th ranked first seed.

We drew group E with Chelsea, Zenit and Torino.  Yes Torino, who qualified for the Champions League as Europa League Champions last year. That will be interesting.... I can see the media circus now.

On the 31st Inigo Garcia was added to the Spain U19 squad.

I agreed to participate in the media coverage of the deadline day.

I told old friend Jason Milne of ESPNFC.COM that I had no intention of selling Enrique Santamaria.

I had to reject several offers for Iker Garrido and Roberto Iriarte.

But other than that the window closed uneventfully and I could start focusing on our next game versus Tenerife on Sunday the 2nd.

September 2029

Board Meeting - very secure, delighted with leadership and last seasons successes, due in no small part to tight control of payroll but decision to let Arman Basauri leave considered to be a poor piece of business.

The forecast for Sundays game is gusty and a downpour.

9/2/29 vs Tenerife - LIGA BBVA G2 - 4231 vs 4411. To Tenerife’s credit they didn’t sit back in a shell and look to survive, but maybe they should have.  We ignored the weather and played our normal tactic, attacking from the start and were up 2 inside ten minutes and after that Tenerife’s will was broken and the Unai Perez show started. By the time all was said and done Unai had a hat trick and left the game with an injury.  Win 5-1 Lineup; Salgado, Larrucea, Gonzalez, J. Alonso/Iriarte (59), Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia, L. Perez/Garcia (59), I. Martinez, U. Perez (POM)/Rufete (65), Etxeberria

Athletic (1-0-0 4th) vs Tenerife (0-1-0 11th)

LIGA BBVA G2

5-1

22 Shots 6

12 On Target 3

8 Fouls 18

53% Possession 47%

Goals: Etxeberria (2) I. Martinez (7) U. Perez (30,46,59) Torrez (87)

We had to pay Monaco another 3.9M for Isidoro after that goal.  Unai suffered a sprained wrist and will be fitted with a protective guard to play through the injury.

Luis Perez was player of the match in Spain's 2-1 victory over Bosnia-Herzegovina that saw Francisco Javier Herrera and Inigo Aramendia get their first caps. Our entire starting eleven is on international duty.

On the 11th Egoitz Gonzalez got his first cap in a 3-0 win against Montenegro.

On Friday, the day before the Las Palmas game our Head Physio Josean Leuke informed me that Raul Martinez had a pulled hamstring and would be out a couple weeks.

9/15/29 at Las Palmas - LIGA BBVA G3 - 4231 vs 4123. Las Palmas came into the game with a respectable unbeaten start to the season through two games but were unprepared to play against the Spanish national team.  Once again attacking from the start we overwhelmed them on their home turf.  A couple years ago Angel Maria Etxeberria was the LIGA BBVA leading scorer and while he was good last year, he wasn’t as explosive.  Today he was better. He scored twice in the first 22 minutes and then, just past the half hour mark forced the Las Palmas defense into a rugby tackle in the box which he then converted from the spot for the hat trick.  Not finished yet he added a fourth on the stroke of halftime.  We pulled back into a more solid controlling posture for the second half and Inigo Aramendia added a fifth goal for the team just before the hour mark and just after the hour mark Etxeberria added a fifth goal for himself.  Win 6-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Barbero, Herrera, Aramendia/Rufete (63), Larrucea, I. Martinez, U. Perez/Garcia (63), Etxeberria (POM)

Athletic (2-0-0 1st) at Las Palmas (1-1-0 6th)

LIGA BBVA G3

6-0

25 Shots 12

11 On Target 5

11 Fouls 13

57% Possession 43%

Goals: Etxeberria (7,22, pen 34,45,62) Aramendia (56)

Eight of our players were named to the LIGA BBVA team of the week.  The entire defense, Inigo Aramendia, Inigo Larrucea, Isidoro Martinez and, of course Angel Maria.

Next we have the first game in our quest for continental redemption, at home against Zenit.  Then in the league we will face Atletico and Barcelona at home before visiting the Bernabeu and going to Stadio Olimpico to play Torino in our second continental group game.

Fun time is over, now we need to get to work.

9/19/29 vs Zenit St. Petersburg - Champions League Group E G1 - 4231 vs 442. We started our quest for Champions League redemption on the attack and inside 20 minutes Isidoro Martinez had scored twice to put us up with some cushion.  After that Zenit seemed to make the adjustments they needed and while we controlled play we didn't’t add any more goals.  In the second half we dropped to a more controlling postures and the game continued at 2-0 all the way to the end.  Part one of job done. Win 2-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai/Calvo (62), Gonzalez, J. Alonso/Iriarte (62), Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia (POM), L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (0-0-0) vs Zenit (0-0-0)

Champions League Group E G1

2-0

19 Shots 8

7 On Target 3

9 Fouls 5

58% Possession 42%

Goals: I. Martinez (5,19)

In the other match in the group Chelsea defeated Torino 1-0.

Next Atletico at home, a midweek game against Barcelona at home and then our away fixture against Real Madrid.

9/23/29 vs Atletico - LIGA BBVA G4 - 4231 vs 4231. We started in our basic attacking 4231 and took the lead in a hard fought battle at 29 minutes when Unai Perez squeezed a shot home just inside the near post. Right off the restart it was 2-0 on a nice team move that sent Isidoro in alone.  Just before the break, with play still hard fought and close we put the matter out of question on Unai’s second goal of the game. If Atletico had another gear it wasnt a high enough one to stop us as while they did score just before the hour mark that was as close as they got and we ran out our new formation, now a 3511 for the last half hour and added another Isidoro Martinez goal while looking pretty good. Win 4-1 Lineup; Salgado, Calvo, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Rufete, Aramendia, Garcia, I. Martinez, U. Perez, Etxeberria/Herrera (63)

Athletic (3-0-0 1st) vs Atletico (2-0-1 7th)

LIGA BBVA G4

4-1

13 Shots 8

7 On Target 4

12 Fouls 7

54% Possession 46%

Goals: U. Perez (29,44) I. Martinez (31,77) Dufour (54)

Javier Alonso, Isidoro Martinez, and Unai Perez were named to the team of the week.  Aramendia, Calvo, and Salgado were alternates.

9/26/29 vs Barcelona - LIGA BBVA G5 - 4231 vs 442. This was a clear battle of a team in form and a team that wasn’t as Barcelona, who had added a second striker who appears to be as good as Houssem Chouchane, named Ourdy Mwanga to their squad, was snatching at their chances and missed the net on their first seven shots, some of which were high quality opportunities.  On the other hand 5 of our first seven shots were on target, including two Unai Perez goals, the second from the spot after Barcelona right back Kysela tripped Etxeberria in the box.  We started the second half as you were, up 2-0 and Barcelona continued to generate good opportunities and waste them. Until they didn’t. New striker Ourdy Mwanga finally got them on the board at 68 minutes and four minutes later, not to be outdone, Houssem Chouchane had evened the game.  We brought Isidoro in as a sub for the rusty and uninspiring Kike and he started a nice team move that ended with Angel Maria Etxeberria scoring the winner.  Win 3-2   Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Iriarte, J. Alonso, Santamaria/Calvo (60), Herrera, Aramendia/Rufete (60), L. Perez, K. Alonso/I. Martinez (79), U. Perez (POM), Etxeberria

Athletic (4-0-0 1st) vs Barcelona (3-0-1 5th)

LIGA BBVA G5

3-2

15 Shots 15

9 On Target 6

10 Fouls 8

47% Possession 53%

Goals: U. Perez (29, pen 37) Mwanga (68) Chouchane (72) Etxeberria (80)

9/29/29 at Real Madrid - LIGA BBVA G6 - 4231 vs 4231 DM. We never looked ready to play and Madrid was, Veselin Vujadinovic scored a goal that was clearly offsides at twelve minutes and added a legitimate goal at 18 minutes.  Once Madrid had the momentum there was no way we were getting back into the game.  We tried, taking off the worst player, Iriarte at the half, changing to more creative and direct tactice and finally moving to the 3511, which did eventually even the play out, but never created any serious scoring chances.  Madrid added a late third, after Vujadinovic’s second offside goal was actually disallowed. for the final. Loss 0-3  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, Iriarte/J. Alonso (45), Santamaria, Herrera/K. Alonso (58), Aramendia, L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (5-0-0 1st) at R. Madrid (4-0-1 3rd)

LIGA BBVA G6

0-3

7 Shots 18

2 On Target 7

8 Fouls 6

49% Possession 51%

Goals: Vujadinovic (12,18) Guedes (90+1)

Next up is my return to Turin on Tuesday. Hopefully we can get back to the unbeatable form we had before the Real Madrid game for that one.

October 2029

Former Torino midfielder Paw Lassen, now playing for Malaga, scored the first and third placed goal in the goal of the month award for LIGA BBVA in September.

Board Meeting - very secure, very pleased with leadership and capture of Egoitz Gonzalez, but despite the positives our heavy 0-3 loss to Real Madrid cannot be ignored.

Returning to Turin was surreal, so much happened there on and off the pitch, being there again, especially without Gianna, all I wanted to do was get things over with...

10/3/29 at Torino - Champions League Group E G2 - 4231 vs 4123. This game was an intense struggle for every inch and we never got anything going, we quickly had to give up attacking and posession passing and while that seemed to undo Torino’s gameplan it didn’t give us an edge.  The first half had plenty of action but no goals and we came out more aggressively in the second half and started creating some chances, but Torino scored first with winger Frantisek Hala scoring an opportune goal.  We moved to all out direct attacking and brought Luis Perez on for an added attacking presence.  Finally at 74 minutes Kike Alonso ran onto a ball over the Torino defense and slotted the ball home to even the score. After that the game returned to a stalemate until Luis Garai picked up his second yellow and we dropped into a defensive 4221 and held on. Draw 1-1. Lineup; Salgado, Garai (RED 84), Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria/Calvo (63), Herrera/L. Perez (63), Aramendia, Larrucea, I. Martinez/Garcia (84), U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic (1-0-0 1st) at Torino (0-0-1 3rd)

Champions League Group E G2

1-1

18 Shots 15

9 On Target 9

12 Fouls 7

50% Possession 50%

Goals: Hala (50) K. Alonso (74)

That turned out to be a real kissing your sister match, neither the Torino faithful nor I got what we were looking for in the end.  I’m hoping for a better result when they come to San Mames for sure.

Next up before the international break we have to go to Barcelona to play Espanyol.

10/6/29 at Espanyol - LIGA BBVA G7 - 3511 vs 4411. Wary of another team set up to stymie our short passing attacking game, and how uninspired we have looked on the ball the last couple outings I set us up with a different lineup in the 3511, hoping to exploit some different areas of the pitch and use the element of surprise. The 3511 had looked good in a couple of half hour cameos and I’d been wondering when I should try it in a full game and this seemed like as good a time as any. The tactic also allowed all five of our attacking players on the pitch at the same time. Twelve minutes in Luis Perez took advantage of not being the provider and scored to put us up 1-0.  At the half hour Etxeberria double our lead as our line of five in the midfield was working well against Espanyols two banks of four.  Espanyol got one back just before the half, to give our form a test.  I told the players they weren’t good enough at the half and sent them back out.  Unai Perez restored our two goal lead at the hour mark and I toyed with going to our defensive 4231 but didn’t - and Karla had to make a great save immediately after the restart to keep the two goal lead.  After that I did make the switch, and right after changing to the 4231 Angel Maria added a fourth and we were safe.  Win 4-1  Lineup; Salgado, J. Alonso, R. Martinez, Gonzalez, L. Perez (POM), Herrera/Larrucea (67), Aramendia, I. Martinez/Santamaria (67), U. Perez, K. Alonso, Etxeberria

Athletic (5-0-1 3rd) at Espanyol (3-0-3 11th)

LIGA BBVA G7

4-1

12 Shots 13

7 On Target 5

12 Fouls 14

50% Possession 50%

Goals: L. Perez (12) Etxeberria (27,70) Berisha (41) U. Perez (57)

Well, that might have to stay in the bag of tricks.  The tactic started as a means of getting Etxeberria, Isidoro and Kike in the game at the same time, but seemed to work well in breaking down what actually looked like a resolute and lively defense.  The flow of the game was far more even than the score.  Or maybe I’m overthinking it and the 4231 would have done better.  All I know is at both my previous clubs when I have established a good squad I took them for granted and tried to ‘plug-and-play’ with the tactics and expected to just sit back and watch.  Both times that resulted in very disappointing seasons, so with this squad, which should be elite, I am determined to over manage if anything.

After the break our next match is at home, I will go back to the 4231, but I might throw out a lineup that can slide into the 3511 without substitution, just in case. The 5231 should be good, Deportivo is off to a good start, but they have played a lot of high scoring games in their 433 formation.  I like our chances with the 4231 there.

Two Inigo’s - San Miguel and Larrucea came to me over the break to ask for playing time, but they both agreed that the players ahead of them  - Inigo Aramendia and Luis Perez, couldn’t be dropped at the moment.

Inigo Garcia suffered a sports hernia in training on the 12th and will be out about a month.

Congratulated Luis Garai on his first cap for Spain in their 1-0 win over Korea on Friday the 12th

We were once again drawn in the ‘other side’ of the brackets from Real Madrid in the Spanish Cup, but this time will have to likely beat both Barcelona and Atletico to get that far as opposed to the last two years when we had a fairly easy path to the final.

10/20/29 vs Deportivo - LIGA BBVA G8 - 4231 vs 433. The attacking 4231 was firing on all cylinders early as Luis Perez worked tirelessly to set up a number of scoring chances in a row before Unai ran onto one of his passes and put us up one.  At the quarter hour mark a towering Etxeberria header made it two. That was enough for Deportivo who ditched their 433 in favor of a 4123 and slowed the game down considerably.  We didn’t score any more in the first half and at the hour mark, still up 2-0 substituted Herrera out as he was on a yellow card.  We were down to 10 anyway at 72 minutes as Unai Perez, of all people got a straight red for a sliding tackle from behind.  We went defensive 4221 and saw the game out. Win 2-0  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, J. Alonso, Gonzalez, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (61), Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), K. Alonso, U. Perez (RED 72), Etxeberria/Rufete (72)

Athletic (5-0-2 3rd) vs Deportivo (3-3-1 6th)

LIGA BBVA G8

2-0

18 Shots 12

9 On Target 5

20 Fouls 12

56% Possession 44%

Goals: U. Perez (14) Etxeberria (17)

Next is the last game in the first round of group matches, home against Chelsea.

10/23/29 vs Chelsea - Champions League Group E G3 - 4231 vs 442. We came out attacking to see if they could stop us like Torino did, and they couldn’t.  Well actually they couldn’t stop Isidoro.  He scored at nine minutes on a straightforward counter attack, then at 20 minutes on the rebound of a Kike Alonso shot that was saved, shortly after that restart he scored off a throw in for the hat trick and three minutes after that, and a Chelsea goal by Kylian Lebrun, he scored a fourth after a very typical Athletic team move.  Five goals in 16 minutes, four of them from Isidoro, and that was it for the game despite chances for both teams.  Win 4-1   Lineup; Salgado, Calvo, Iriarte, Gonzalez, Santamaria, Aramendia/R. Martinez (58), San Miguel, L. Perez/Larrucea (58), I. Martinez (POM), U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic (1-1-0 2nd) vs Chelsea (2-0-0 1st)

LIGA BBVA G3

4-1

19 Shots 10

7 On Target 7

11 Fouls 16

60% Possession 40%

Goals: I. Martinez (9,20,22,25) Lebrun (23)

It wasn’t hard to figure who the player of the match was. Torino demolished Zenit 4-0 and sits in third place in the group right now.

Our next two games are against Mallorca and Alaves, both sitting mid table then Real betis, who still sit in first place.

10/27/29 at Mallorca - LIGA BBVA G9 - 4231 vs 4411. In the first move of the game we worked the ball into the Mallorca zone and a Luis Garai cross was headed for Angel Maria Etxeberria when Mallorca’s defender Alhassan Frimpong intervened and headed it into his own net. Up 1-0 in the first minute I couldn’t help but think they would regret giving us any help, we were too good to need it.  They did regret it, but we weren’t that good.  By the end of the game I had tried attacking control and standard approaches and the 3511, but we couldn’t generate anything.  Fortunately neither could they. Win 1-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai (POM), Iriarte, J. Alonso, Barbero, R. Martinez, Herrera, L. Perez, I. Martinez/ K. Alonso (25), Rufete, Etxeberria/Aramendia (61)

Athletic (6-0-2 2nd) at Mallorca (2-3-3 11th)

LIGA BBVA G9

1-0

12 Shots 12

2 On Target 3

1 Fouls 12

57% Possession 43%

Goals: Frimpong og (1)

Isidoro left the game with a head injury and will miss about a week.

10/31/29 vs Alaves - LIGA BBVA G10 - 4231 vs 4411. Alaves set up deep and compact and we once again struggled to break them down.  At the half tied at 0-0 I gave an ‘inspirational’ talk and we went back out as you were, but after 10 minutes I’d seen enough and we switched to the 3511.  After the change we saw immediate results and had several scoring chances before Inigo Aramendia corralled a ball out of midair, controlled it and shot it home on the turn. At 87 minutes Kike Alonso added a second and we changed to our defensive 4231 to see the game out.  Win 2-0  Lineup; Salgado, Garai/Larrucea (70), Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia, L. Perez, K. Alonso (POM), U. Perez, Etxeberria/R. Martinez (70)

Athletic (7-0-2 2nd) vs Alaves (3-2-4 9th)

LIGA BBVA G10

2-0

26 Shots 7

13 On Target 5

7 Fouls 9

56% Possession 44%

Goals: Aramendia (62) K. Alonso (87)

Real Betis drew their match wednesday night which moved us into first for our match against them on the weekend.

I’ve noticed over the last month that my slightly creepy superstalker Luis has acquired a shadow of his own wherever we go now.  I have no idea what that means or where it is going, I’m not feeling any more secure though.

November 2029

Board Meeting - very secure, they are very pleased with my overall leadership and haven’t forgotten last years successes. My capture of Egoitz Gonzalez has been particularly pleasing but they still consider the decision to let Arman Basauri leave a poor piece of business.

11/4/29 at Real Betis - LIGA BBVA G11 - 4231 vs 4411. We started the game on the front foot and at nine minutes Kike Alonso, playing at striker for a slumping Etxeberria made a great individual move to beat multiple Betis defenders and put us up 1-0. We created several more chances before the half but couldn’t score any more goals.  Fortunately betis could only manage one attempt at our net and we were still up 1-0 at the break.  The second half saw our chances dry up, but even when they went attacking Betis couldn’t create any chances of their own.  In the end the game was always close but never terribly stressful. Win 1-0  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (59), Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), I. Martinez, U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic (9-0-1 1st) at R Betis (8-2-0 2nd)

LIGA BBVA G11

1-0

18 Shots 3

7 On Target 1

8 Fouls 14

62% Possession 38%

Goals: K. Alonso (9)

We had 16 players called up for international duty-

U19 - Unai Sola, Borja Garcia, Raul Imaz, and Ignacio Lopez

U21 - Enrique Santamaria, Raul Martinez, Javier Alonso, and Jesus Barbero

Spain - Luis Perez, Isidoro Martinez, Unai Perez, Angel Maria Etxeberria, Luis Garai, Inigo Aramendia, Karla Salgado, and Francisco Javier Herrera

11/7/29 at Chelsea - Champions League Group E G4 - 4231 vs 442. We stayed with our base tactic to start and dominated the first half.  Unfortunately Kike wasted three golden scoring opportunities before Chelsea finally struck, Lebrun once again doing the honors. We told the players they were unlucky not to be ahead and sent them out for the second half and Chelsea was dominant right from the start. We tried everything we could to get back into the game but just couldn’t manage it. Finally late in that half Zoran Kurevija scored, twice - three times if you count the one that was offside. Loss 0-3  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Iriarte, J. Alonso, Santamaria, R. Martinez, Aramendia, L. Perez, I. Martinez/Etxeberria (73), K. Alonso/Rufete (58)

Athletic (2-1-0 1st) at Chelsea (2-0-1 2nd)

Champions League Group E G4

0-3

14 Shots 22

6 On Target 10

6 Fouls 4

57% Possession 43%

Goals: Lebrun (41) Kurevija (79,82)

Torino defeated Zenit 3-2 pulling them even on points with us in the group.

Next we play Malaga at San Mames, and we will have to rotate players for the league, which we didn’t do at all last year because of either the cup or Champions League since our reserves dominated the cup and our continental performance was so bad I didn’t waste the first team in the second half of the group stage..

11/10/29 vs Malaga - LIGA BBVA G12 - 4231 vs 442. I toyed with starting this game in the 3511 as we have run into some continuing struggles with the 4231 lately against teams that defend with determination, but when Malaga has lost this year they have given up goals in bunches so I stayed the course.  As a result I watched a thoroughly frustrating hour of football as we continually bounced the ball off the Malaga defense, and when we did create scoring chances we promptly wasted them.  Malaga took the lead off a corner kick when Francisco Javier Herrera lost his man.  Finally at 57 minutes I’d seen enough and made a couple substitutions and changed to the 3511. Within three minutes of the change we had the lead on goals from Isidoro and Angel Maria.  Etxeberria’s came when he took a pass just outside the box, took the ball around an opponent and fired home a powerful long range strike. Isidoro added a third at 74 minutes and despite a Herrera red card late that put us in our defensive 4221 we had the Win 3-1.  Lineup; Salgado, Calvo, Iriarte/Sola (57), Gonzalez, Barbero, R. Martinez, Herrera (RED 90), Larrucea/Garcia (57), I. Martinez (POM), Rufete, Etxeberria/San Miguel (90)

Athletic (10-0-1 1st) vs Malaga (6-0-5 7th)

LIGA BBVA G12

3-1

14 Shots 8

8 On Target 4

13 Fouls 3

56% Possession 44%

Goals: Ilic (30) I. Martinez (59,74) Etxeberria (60)

That's Herrera’s second straight red in far less than half a season.  At least this time he admitted he deserved the fine.

After the international break we will visit Sevilla and then Zenit.

Francisco Javier Herrera was player of the match and Isidoro scored his first international goal in Spain’s 3-2 win over Japan on the 15th.

On the 19th Jesus Barbero was player of the match in the U21’s 6-0 win over Andorra.

On the 21st Unai Perez was player of the match in Spain’s 1-0 win over Nigeria, Isidoro scored the goal.

Real Sociedad also accepted our 5.5M offer (matching his free release) for 17 year old U19 international keeper Feliz Ibanez and we offered terms. Sociedad Manager Dani Parejo, who has badmouthed me to the press for two years said it was our good relationship that led to the deal.  OK, or maybe it was the free release clause.

The leading LIGA BBVA Development clubs this year were Sevilla and Sociedad at 26 followed by us at 25.

11/24/29 at Sevilla - LIGA BBVA G13 - 4231 vs 4411.  We started with our base tactic against yet another packed defense and I was expecting to have to resort to the 3511 again but instead Luis Garai put us ahead at 24 minutes and right off the restart Luis Perez scored to make it a quickfire double and a 2-0 lead.  Sevilla showed little industry in the first half but as the second half wore on started launching counters that did lead to a goal at 52 minutes after which we went to a more conservative approach and saw the game out for the Win 2-1. Lineup; Salgado, Garai (POM), Iriarte/Calvo (80), Gonzalez, Santamaria, Aramendia, Rufete/Etxeberria (80), L. Perez, I. Martinez, U. Perez

Athletic (11-0-1) at Sevilla (4-4-4 10th)

LIGA BBVA G13

2-1

17 Shots 9

11 On Target 6

6 Fouls 12

52% Possession 48%

Goals: Garai (24) L. Perez (25) Darwish (52)

Sluggish.  We have been very sluggish lately. I am concerned. Is not rotating for the Champions League taking it’s toll?

11/27/29 at Zenit - Champions League Group E G5 - 4231 vs 442.  We started in a standard approach and controlled the game. We even seemed to be creating more space and chances.  The only problem was we weren’t creating goals. Angel Maria Etxeberria suffered an injury in the first half and was subbed out, the second half was the same, we always looked like we would score but didn’t.  We went attacking at the hour mark but all that did was let Zenit get some scoring chances as well. In the end nothing changed anything. Draw 0-0 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (83), Aramendia, L. Perez, K. Alonso, Rufete/I. Martinez (59), Etxeberria/Garcia (45)

Athletic (2-1-1 2nd) at Zenit (0-0-4 4th)

Champions League Group E G5

0-0

24 Shots 9

12 On Target 5

8 Fouls 7

65% Possession 35%

Goals: --

Angel Maria was diagnosed with bruised ribs and will miss 4-5 days. The draw could be very costly for us in the group.

December 2029

Board Meeting - very secure, very pleased with leadership and capture of Egoitz Gonzalez but not heavy 0-3 defeat to Chelsea. The board also informed me that do to the clubs improved financial position they are increasing the available transfer funds from 25.5M to 65M.

12/1/29 vs Osasuna - LIGA BBVA G14 - 4231 vs 4231. We attacked in this one and almost looked like our old selves, but Kike and Isidoro couldn’t finish the wonderful opportunities they were presented with, over and over.  Fortunately Inigo Aramendia didn’t need an opportunity as he picked up a failed clearance outside the box and shot it through the crowd of players trying to clear the box and into the top corner for a first half lead of 1-0.  Early in the second half Unai Perez scored a nice goal to put us up 2-0 but we still aren’t as crisp and incisive as we need to be and we gave one back three minutes later and in the end barely managed to hang on to the 2-1 Win. Lineup; Salgado, Calvo, Iriarte, J. Alonso, Santamaria, R. Martinez, Aramendia (POM)/Herrera (76), L. Perez, I. Martinez/Larrucea (54), U. Perez, K. Alonso

Athletic (12-0-1 1st) vs Osasuna (2-5-6 20th)

LIGA BBVA G14

2-1

21 Shots 4

10 On Target 2

9 Fouls 15

58% Possession 42%

Goals: Aramendia (9) U. Perez (48) Moldoveanu (51)

Isidoro left the game in the second half with what was diagnosed as a torn hamstring and will miss 2-3 months.

We will play a fully rotated squad that features 0 goals so far this season against Toledo in the first leg of the cup tie next.

12/5/29 at Toledo - Spanish Cup Fourth Round Leg 1 - 4231 vs 532 WB. Young striker Alex Miguel, who destroyed the U19 league last year got his first game of the year and scored 4 minutes in, his goal was followed less than five minutes later by one from Jose Carlos Rufete and we were up 2-0 nearing the half hour mark when Miguel had to leave with an injury.  In the second half we benefited from a Toledo own goal and then Inigo San Miguel scored from the spot after some sloppy tackling in the box for the Win 4-0  Lineup; Garrido, Calvo, Sola, Iriarte, Barbero, R. Martinez/Herrera (59), Rufete (POM), Garcia/L. Perez (86), San Miguel, Tarantino, Miguel/Etxeberria (27)

Athletic at Toledo

Spanish Cup Fourth Round Leg 1

4-0

15 Shots 6

7 On Target 1

12 Fouls 7

52% Possession 48%

Goals: Miguel (4) Rufete (8) Canhue og (49) San Miguel (pen 58)

Alex Miguel had his debut, first goal and an injury in the same game. He will miss a few days.

Spain was drawn in Group A for next June’s World Cup, with Paraguay, Wales and the USA. Italy is in group B with Chile, Denmark, and Saudi Arabia

Real Sociedad is expecting a sell out for the match against us.

12/9/29 at Real Sociedad - LIGA BBVA G15 - 4231 vs 4411. We looked to control the game and did so with ease.  This time we flowed and created scoring chances at will, looking like our old selves at last.  From start to finish we hammered the Sociedad net.  In the first Five minutes Sociedads keeper Sergio Rico (POM) had made two brilliant saves on Kike and one on Angel Maria.  At the half hour mark Sociedad scored to take the 1-0 lead.  At the half we had a dozen shots and six scoring chances but still trialed 1-0.  I told the players that if they kept playing like that the result would come. I was wrong, they did it didn’t. By the end of the game we had 25 shots, 10 clear cut scoring chances and a Loss 0-2 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia/San Miguel (59), L. Perez, K. Alonso/Larrucea (59), U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (13-0-1 1st) at R Sociedad (6-1-7 10th)

LIGA BBVA G15

0-2

25 Shots 13

8 On Target 3

9 Fouls 11

62% Possession 38%

Goals: Garcia (26) Bacaicoa (87)

That was definitely just one of those games, you could definitely see it coming over the last month though.  Sometimes this great game of ours is predictable.

Next up the deciding match in group play against Torino.  One of us is qualifying and the other going to the Europa League.  Torino needs a win. A draw and we are through.

The media has built up a large myth about a war between myself and Mr. Cairo.  They have turned the match into Me versus Torino.  They have tried to drag Sal into it as well, neither Sal or I have commented on the matter at all, but that hasn’t slowed them down one bit.

12/12/29 vs Torino - Champions League Group E G6 - 4231 vs 4123. Playing at home in an important game we went with what used to be our strength and tried to take the game to Torino from the start. The Toro were all over the field however, tackling us as soon as we touched the ball and at 16 minutes Halak and Lima fired off a quick double and we were down 2-0. I didn’t react at all or change our tactics, hoping that my faith in our team would rub off on the squad and we would grow into the game.  It wasn’t easy as I watched our players being indecisive and Torino’s strutting around like champions, but just before the half hour mark Unai had us on the board and there was the slightest hesitation in Torino’s step.  We tried to complete a quickfire double of our own but Javier Merlo, in net for Torino made a great save on Kike and we reached the half down 2-1.  I asked where the players passion was at the half and they found it where they had apparently left it - in the dressing room, the only question was would they remember to bring it to the pitch this time. It looked promising but as the clock ran past the hour mark and we were still down I was starting to wonder what drastic measures I could even take to affect the game and Luis Perez picked a Herrera free kick out of midair in the middle of a crowd and volleyed it home to bring us even.  After the goal we picked up 5 yellow cards in the next seven minutes as the game got aggressive, I immediately substituted Herrera when he picked up his yellow. Now I did change our tactics, since what we had was enough to put us through and Torino went attacking I was faced with the old dilemma of go defensive and look to frustrate or attack back and look to exploit. I went defensive. It was the right call as we had the games last scoring chance but didn’t convert. Draw 2-2   Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso/Iriarte (63), Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (73), Aramendia, L. Perez, K. Alonso, U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (2-2-1 2nd) vs Torino (2-1-2 3rd)

Champions League Group E G6

2-2

15 Shots 11

6 On Target 3

14 Fouls 17

52% Possession 48%

Goals: Hala (16) Lima (18) U. Perez (27) L. Perez (66)

Not easy, but enough to put us through. Alex Padovano was player of the match for Torino.

12/16/29 vs Elche - LIGA BBVA G16 - 4231 vs 433. Early on it was clear that we were once again the loose free flowing, in command team that we should be.  We looked every bit as good as we did in the Sociedad game.  And we had just as few goals, after a series of saves that stretched credulity Elche launched their second counterattack of the game at the half hour mark and scored to take the lead. As I alternated between fuming and laughing on the sidelines the players kept going, and finally at 38 minutes Luis Perez scored to even the game as he finished a counterattack of our own that resulted in a four on one break. That goal appeared to remind Elce keeper Samu that he was, in fact, human and by the break we were up 2-1 after Luis tapped home his second of the game after being presented an empty net on a nice pass from Etxeberria.  The second half was time for us to assert ourselves as Kik finally finished one of his chances and Etxeberria closed out the scoring for the Win 4-1 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (60), Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), K. Alonso, U. Perez/Rufete (60), Etxeberria

Athletic (13-0-2 1st) vs Elche (4-3-8 15th)

LIGA BBVA G16

4-1

27 Shots 7

16 On Target 3

7 Fouls 12

52% Possession 48%

Goals: Kasongo (31) L. Perez (38,44) K. Alonso (48) Etxeberria (60)

Next is the second leg of the Spanish Cup tie against Toledo with a fully rotated squad.

We drew Liverpool in the first knockout round of the Champions League.  The Reds sit in 4th place in the EPL right now at 8-4-4.

12/19/29 vs Toledo - Spanish Cup Fourth Round Leg 2 - 4231 vs 4411. We looked free and easy again, creating several scoring chances in the first half and getting two Inigo Garcia goals from Unai Perez’s left wing position. In the second half, on the other hand we looked lazy and disinterested, despite my stressing that that was something to avoid at the half Toledo even got a late goal to give them their scoreline of the season. Win 2-1.    Lineup; Garrido, Calvo, Sola, Iriarte, Barbero, R. Martinez, Rufete, B. Garcia, San Miguel/Aramendia (61), I. Garcia (POM), Miguel

Athletic (4) vs Toledo (0)

Spanish Cup Fourth Round Leg 2

2-1 (6-1)

11 Shots 7

6 On Target 2

11 Fouls 5

51% Possession 49%

Goals: I. Garcia (6,37) Arrieta (90)

We will face Barcelona in the next round.  With our rotated squad.  Yes I plan on sticking to that.

Our last game before the short christmas break will be at Villarreal on Sunday. Villarreal will be desperate for a win to get out of the relegation zone before the holiday break.

12/23/29 at Villarreal - LIGA BBVA G17 - 4231 vs 4411. We played a nice conservative basic game and while we didn’t pile up chances or shots we were always in command. Egoitz Gonzalez scored his first goal since his previous stay here off a corner kick 5 minutes in and Unai Perez turned a nice Herrera takeaway and pass into a 2-0 lead shortly after.  The game stayed at 2-0 with ease past the half and the hour mark.  I was able to make subs based solely on conditioning and one of those subs, Raul Martinez scored a late goal to make it 3-0.   Lineup; Salgado, Garai, J. Alonso, Gonzalez (POM), Santamaria/Calvo (62), Herrera, Aramendia/R. Martinez (73), L. Perez, K. Alonso, U. Perez, Etxeberria  

Athletic (14-0-2 1st) at Villarreal (3-5-8 18th)

LIGA BBVA G17

3-0

15 Shots 6

6 On Target 2

11 Fouls 10

63% Possession 37%

Goals: Gonzalez (5) U. Perez (7) R. Martinez (83)

Our next action will be a friendly at Gernika on new year's eve.

We have secured the transfer of the three best young players that we have scouted, Sociedad 18 year old striker Iosu Galan who has scored 3 goals in the Spanish second division this year and has very good potential. Sociedad 17 year old keeper Felix Ibanez who is struggling in the second division this year, but also has loads of potential and Osasuna 16 year old midfielder Ion Benito who is destroying the U19 league but has a little less potential.

With the window about to open the only other player on our radar worth pursuing is another attacking player, Real Madrid’s 22 year old Oinatz Sanz, who only plays striker at the moment, and would sit around 6th on our depth chart there, but has the skills to be a impact winger behind Unai.  He is valued at 12M and available for 6M as Madrid haven’t played him all season and he has asked to leave.  Last year he got in 13 game on loan at Real Betis and scored 7 goals with 8 assists.  We made the offer and negotiated terms with the young man.

The Sanz story leaked and Brentford, sitting 20th in the Championship, made an immediate bid as well.

12/31/29 at Gernika - Friendly - 4231 vs 4213. Francisco Javier Herrera left the game with a stubbed toe that will keep him out for less than a week, other than that no one got injured, which means it was a good friendly.  We played everyone, scored lots of goals and kept a clean sheet.

Athletic at Gernika

Friendly

8-0

34 Shots 3

24 On Target 0

6 Fouls 12

54% Possession 46%

Goals: Etxeberria (9,37,39) K. Alonso (26) U. Perez (32) San Miguel (63) Miguel (74) Lopez og (90+1)

When I got home after the 45 minute drive from Gernika-Lumo there was a note in the secret spot on the back stairs that Gabrielle used to use to contact me before she had been killed.  When I opened it I couldn’t believe my eyes.

January 2030

It was a note in very familiar handwriting telling me that my life was in danger and that I should be very careful.  The note ended with an apology and a promise that we would see each other soon, and while it wasn’t signed with a name it was from Gianna without a doubt, aside from the familiar handwriting it closed with her half of a quote from A Song of Ice and Fire that we always used to say to each other ‘Shekh Ma Shieraki Anni’ (my sun and stars.) - to which I always replied Yer Jalan Atthirari Anni (moon of my life).

That was both ominous and exciting.

Safely back at the office the next day I found out that Gelsenkirchen had also made a bid for Oinatz Saenz

Board Meeting - Very Secure, very pleased with my leadership and capture of Egoitz Gonzalez but not the decision to let Arman Basauri leave.

18 year old striker Iosu Galan, 16 year old midfielder Ion Benito and 17 year old keeper Felix Ibanez all joined us when the transfer window opened and were assigned to the U19 squad.

For the second season in a row Inigo San Miguel came asking for more playing time.  Last year I gave it to him and he earned himself the starting job in the central midfield.  I told him again he’d get a shot, and inserted him in the AMC slot for the next few league games, with Isidoro out for an extended time it would be good to have someone else there that could be a difference maker besides Kike anyway.

1/6/30 vs Real Oviedo - LIGA BBVA G18 - 4231 vs 442. We started the game well, generating a scoring chance right off the start and looking good overall, but when Oviedo made their first attacking move Egoitz Gonzalez charged out of the box and made a clumsy two footed tackle earning himself a straight red at four minutes in.  Flabbergasted, I pulled Inigo San Miguel and put Unai Sola in at centre back leaving us in our basic tactic only without the AMC, hoping we would still be able to dictate play.  Surely we weren’t that good, were we?  We were.  We made it to the half scoreless, but the only scoring chances were ours, so I told the squad we could get something from the match despite being down a man and less than 5 minutes after the restart Luis Perez scored in the scramble ensuing after a corner and we were up 1-0.  Late in the half Oviedo scored an own goal as defender Manel Rubio, trying to stop a cross from reaching Etxeberria, cleared the ball off his centre back partner Maximo Frutos and into his own net.  After the second goal I dropped us into the defensive 4221 to see the game out. Win 2-0  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, J. Alonso, Gonzalez (RED 4), Santamaria, R. Martinez, Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), San Miguel/Sola (4)/Rufete (73), U. Perez, Etxeberria/K. Alonso (89)

Athletic (15-0-2 1st) vs R Oviedo (5-3-9 14th)

LIGA BBVA G18

2-0

19 Shots 5

7 On Target 1

7 Fouls 15

65% Possession 35%

Goals: L. Perez (48) Frutos og (72)

On Monday the 7th we completed the Sanz signing. I put him on training to learn the AML position. Our next match is the first leg of the cup tie against Barcelona at Camp Nou with our rotated squad, I will make sure we get Sanz in at his new position off the bench during the game.

1/9/30 at Barcelona - Spanish Cup Fifth Round Leg 1 - 4231 vs 442. Barcelona, playing their starters enjoyed dominance in the game like they used to a couple years ago against us, almost.  Though they generated four or five chances the only goal in the first half was 8 minutes in by Ourdy Mwanga. We made it to the hour mark still down just one but at 66 minutes Mwanga got his second and six minutes later Frederic Finke made it 3-0. Loss 0-3   Lineup; Garrido, Calvo, Iriarte, Gonzalez, Barbero, R. Martinez, Rufete/San Miguel (61), B. Garcia, K. Alonso, I. Garcia/Sanz (61), Miguel/L. Perez (70)

Athletic at Barcelona

Spanish Cup Fifth Round Leg 1

0-3

7 Shots 21

2 On Target 10

8 Fouls 8

53% Possession 47%

Goals: Mwanga (8,66) Finke (72)

On Saturday before the match against Valencia on Sunday the press ran a story about it being my 700th game in management in my career.  They quoted my ‘right hand man’ Sal saying some nice things about me. Then they covered the basics and mentioned our Spanish Super Cup and LIGA BBVA victories as well as the NACL, US Cup, and MLS cup with the Revs and they even mentioned the Italian Cup and Italian Super Cup we won at Torino.  And it concluded with my personal awards, MLS Coach of the Year, Spanish Manager of the Year and five time nominee for Italian Manager of the Year.

1/13/30 vs Valencia - LIGA BBVA G19 - 4231 vs 442. Valencia had been a very good club so far this year so even though we were home we came out slightly more conservative and it looked to be the right decision as we had the edge both in the flow of play and in the chances created.  Unai Perez gave us the lead at 9 minutes when he made a great individual effort to get the ball to the end line and was tackled hard, Ange Maria Etxeberria was on the spot to pick up the loose ball and unleashed a rocket of a shot that Alfredo Silva, the Valencia keeper could only parry away.  Unai, who had bounced right back onto his feet after the challenge and was now unmarked corralled the ball and put it into the empty net. Our lead lasted less than ten minutes however as Karla Salgado could only just manage to tip a Valencia free kick off the crossbar and when it fell back in the box Valencia’s Luca Castellano was there to pounce on it and even the game. After the goal we continued to dominate both possession and chances created so I didn’t make any changes in tactics.  At the half I did tell the players I wasn’t happy to be tied but the second half was just like the first only without any more scoring until, in stoppage time a Luis Perez pass found Etxeberria in the box and his shot ricochet off Valencia defender Tosin Adarabioyo for a decisive own goal.  Win 2-1  Lineup; Salgado, Garai/Calvo (15), Sola/Iriarte (90), J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/K. Alonso (60), Aramendia, L. Perez, San Miguel, U. Perez (POM), Etxeberria

Athletic (16-0-2) vs Valencia (10-4-4 4th)

LIGA BBVA G19

2-1

20 Shots 9

7 On Target 5

7 Fouls 14

69% Possession 31%

Goals: U. Perez (9) Castellano (19) Adarabioyo og (90+1)

We had to pay Real Madrid another 4.5M for Inigo San Miguel after his last appearance triggered a clause in his sale.  Our next match is the return leg in the Cup Tie against Barcelona.

AS Monaco made a 55M bid for Luis Garai that I rejected and when he came to complain he demanded a guarantee that we would win the Champions League to stay.  I told him no one could make that kind of guarantee and wound up telling him I’d look to sell him.

1/16/30 vs Barcelona - Spanish Cup Fifth Round Leg 2 - 4231 vs 4411 2DM. Barcelona, happy with what they already had in the tie, came out very defensively, happy to let us control the ball away from their net and take long shots, which is exactly what we did.  The only scoring chance of the first half was Barca’s off a set piece that Iker Garrido made a nice save on.  In the second half we tried going more direct and alternately making more space, but nothing even came close to breaking Barca down and in the last minute of stoppage time a clumsy Egoitz Gonzalez tackle gave them a penalty that they converted. Loss 0-1 (0-4) Lineup; Garrido, Calvo (POM)/Larrucea (63), Iriarte, Gonzalez, Barbero, R. Martinez, Rufete, B. Garcia, Miguel, Sanz, K. Alonso

Athletic (0) vs Barcelona (3)

Spanish Cup Fifth Round Leg 2

0-1 (0-4)

17 Shots 8

6 On Target 5

12 Fouls 13

60% Possession 40%

Goals: van Wingerden (pen 90+2)

Somebody else can try to knock Real Madrid off their perch of consecutive Cup wins then.

Now the press ran a story about my next game being my 200th in charge of Athletic which was nice, except the rest of the story was an exact copy of the article about my 700th game in management.  Lazy writing there.

1/20/30 at Tenerife - LIGA BBVA G20 - 4231 vs 4411. In the first five minutes we had the first two scoring chances, one ending with Unai Perez being whistled for offsides and the second in a ball ricocheting off the corner of the goalpost.  On five minutes we thought we had a third chance as we won a free kick in a dangerous area but instead Tenerife launched a counter attack that ended with a chaotic fluke goal off a crazy bounce by their striker Cesar Torres.  After that we completely owned the game piling up 24 shots, 15 of which were on target, 12 of those from inside the 18 yard box and 5 from inside the six.  Yet at 75 minutes we were still chasing the game.  Finally with every substitution used on attacking players and all pretense of caution thrown to the wind, playing a formation that was so attacking it shouldn’t be allowed we drew even at 81 minutes on a Luis Perez goal after three previous shots were rejected.  That was clearly the most we could hope for from this match. Draw 1-1 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Sola, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (74), San Miguel/Sanz (74), L. Perez (POM), K. Alonso, U. Perez, Etxeberria/Aramendia (58)

Athletic (17-0-2 1st) at Tenerife (8-4-7 6th)

LIGA BBVA G20

1-1

24 Shots 6

15 On Target 3

12 Fouls 19

54% Possession 46%

Goals: Torres (5) L. Perez (81)

I told the players they were unlucky after the game.  I appeared to be the only person who felt that way. Interesting. Next we play Levante at home then the transfer window will close before our next match.

On Wednesday the first leg matches of the Spanish Cup Quarterfinals were played, Barcelona Real Madrid, and Valencia all won convincingly while Osasuna edged Elche in their away leg 3-2.

1/27/30 vs Levante - LIGA BBVA G21 - 4231 vs 433. This game was played in a very light snow and was largely uneventful and to plan. We did struggle to convert our chances, but we had so many of them. At 23 Minutes Etxeberria slammed a close range shot home for the 1-0 lead.  A few minutes later it looked like 2-0 but the goal was waved off for Unai being offside. Unai got his goal just before the hour mark and the last half hour of the match was more of the same only more relaxing.  Win 2-0 Lineup; Salgado, Larrucea (POM), Gonzalez, J. Alonso/Sola (58), Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia, L. Perez, San Miguel/K. Alonso (58)/R. Martinez (61), U. Perez, Etxeberria

Athletic (17-1-2 1st) vs Levante (7-4-9 12th)

LIGA BBVA G21

2-0

28 Shots 5

12 On Target 1

6 Fouls 15

66% Possession 34%

Goals: Etxeberria (23) U. Perez (58)

The press called the game a ‘highly polished performance’.  The only other significant event was Kike Alonso who had to leave the game three minutes after coming on with an injury. We will be sending him to a specialist for treatment of a neck injury and he will miss a little less than two weeks.

I agreed to take part with the media coverage of the deadline day.

Inigo Garcia asked to go on loan for first team football and I agreed, he has been supplanted by Sanz as Unai’s backup. Within the hour he agreed to terms with fellow LIGA BBVA team Mallorca.

Surprisingly that was the only business for the day, I didn’t even have to reject any bids for Karla, and no one came looking for Luis Garai. The only bids I had to reject were loan offers for some of our U19’s and two bids from Monaco who wanted both Kike Alonso and Inigo Aramendia.

February 2030

Board Meeting - very secure, very pleased with leadership and capture of Egoitz Gonzalez, but not letting Arman Basauri leave. I requested improvements to our youth facilities and youth coaching and the board agreed immediately.

2/2/30 vs Las Palmas - LIGA BBVA G22 - 4231 vs 4123. We looked to attack a weak Las Palmas team from the start and they took the opening kick all the way down the field and scored 28 seconds in on a intricate team move. Their lead lasted less than a minute as we returned the favor, Angel Maria Etxeberria scoring with a leaping mid air scissor kick after Inigo Aramendia headed a clearance attempt right back into the box straight to our striker. The game stayed 1-1 for almost a half hour until the scales tipped in our favor.  First San Miguel, then Unai Perez from the spot after Etxeberria was pulled backwards by a Las Palmas defender.  In the second half Raul Martinez scored after coming off the bench and Unai converted from the spot after a second penalty.  Win 5-1 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria/Calvo (61), Herrera, Aramendia/R. Martinez (61), L. Perez, San Miguel, U. Perez (POM), Etxeberria

Athletic (18-1-2 1st) vs Las Palmas (5-5-11 16th)

LIGA BBVA G22

5-1

19 Shots 4

11 On Target 2

4 Fouls 18

61% Possession 39%

Goals: van der Post (1) Etxeberria (2) San Miguel (29) U. Perez (pen 36, pen 87) R. Martinez (68)

Jose Carlos Rufete came to me after the game to ask for playing time, I pointed out how well Inigo Aramendia had been playing and he said he could see my point.

2/10/30 at Atletico - LIGA BBVA G23 - 4231 vs 4231. We scored on the first attack of the game as Angel Maria Etxeberria literally walked, at a leisurely pace, through the Atletico defense and scored a nice placed shot. Unai scored later in the half and we made the break up 2-0.  After warning against complacency we went out for the second half and attacked at will.  Finally at the hour mark Atletico broke and committed the first of two fouls, both of which Unai converted from the spot, finishing with a hat trick.  Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera/R. Martinez (58), Aramendia, L. Perez, San Miguel/K. Alonso (58), U. Perez (POM), Etxeberria

Athletic (19-1-2 1st) at Atletico (4-8-10 16th)

LIGA BBVA G23

4-0

17 Shots 8

10 On Target 2

7 Fouls 10

66% Possession 34%

Goals: Etxeberria (3) U. Perez (22, pen 61, pen 71)

Inigo San Miguel twisted his knee in the game and will be out a couple weeks.

The Spanish Cup Final will be, unsurprisingly, Barcelona vs Real Madrid.

2/16/30 vs Real Madrid - LIGA BBVA G24 - 4231 vs 4231 DM. Despite my assurances to the press that we could figure out how to stop Veselin Vujadinovic, he scored again early in the first half to put us down one.  We kept going though and got the equalizer on a nice Luis Perez goal and at the half the score was 1-1.  The second half was a back and forth hard fought battle but there was no more scoring. Isidoro made his return from injury as a second half sub, and was average.  Draw 1-1 Lineup; Salgado, Garai, Gonzalez, J. Alonso, Santamaria, Herrera, Aramendia, Herrera, Aramendia, L. Perez (POM), K. Alonso, U. Perez, Etxeberria/I. Martinez (62)

Athletic (20-1-2 1st) vs R Madrid (16-2-5 3rd)

LIGA BBVA G24

1-1

20 Shots 13

6 On Target 7

11 Fouls 6

62% Possession 38%

Goals: Vujadinovic (5) L. Perez (13)

Later that evening as I was leaving the stadium I came face to face with the stranger that had been shadowing my shadow for the last few months. As I stared at him speechless in surprise he said, “Follow me if you want to live” as he looked over my shoulder.  When I followed his gaze I saw my shadow and old friend Luis who had been tailing me off and on for the last several months.  He was holding a revolver.

I had no idea what was happening, or what I should do. Nothing can really prepare you for the moment when when you see the muzzle of a gun pointed at you flash….

February 18, 2030

The story of the day that continues to dominate the headlines is the apparent natural gas explosion at San Mames two days ago.  While no group has claimed responsibility the authorities say that at this time they have not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack.  At approximately 10PM local time on the 16th, well after the match ended there was an explosion in the stadium.  An Athletic Bilbao representative has stated that thankfully most staff had left long before the explosion and everyone is now accounted for with the exception of one notable figure, the club’s manager Peter Banalik. Authorities continue to investigate and search the rubble for him as well as any clues as to what actually happened. At this point emergency responders fear that the search is changing from one of search and rescue to one of just recovery.  Banalik, one of the most popular managers in club history, recently oversaw a resurgence at San Mames bringing the club its first league title since 1984….

August 20th 2030

As I write this I sit on the deck of a ridiculously large motor yacht in a ridiculously beautiful undisclosed location with a ridiculously beautiful wife by my side and despite all of that going for it, this is still a bittersweet time as I know that I won’t get to see my children or grandchildren - who also find themselves in undisclosed locations today - ever again.

The good news is that I am not buried in the rubble beneath San Mames, though that was a close thing in truth.  Faced with two dangerous strangers once the first bullet had narrowly missed me my flight instinct had kicked in and I tried to escape both, which was a doomed endeavour from the start.  Finally, as I found myself nearly cornered in the maintenance section of the stadium the stranger who had told me that with him was safety called out that he was sent here by my moon, using my half of the code Gia and I had so often used in the past, and I put my faith in him.

It was almost too late, as Luis had given up on gunplay and locked all exits but one then rigging the main gas line to explode, and as it was Graham, an Italian witness protection agent who was working with interpol, was barely able to get me to an extraction vehicle safely.  I literally felt the heat of the explosion on my neck as I was bundled into the car.

It turns out Gia was in fact part of a notorious and dangerous crime family, but from the day we had met she had been working with the authorities to bring them down.  From that day on all of our brushes with death and violence stemmed from that conflict, and she had been an invaluable asset for law enforcement agencies the world round, which she assured me was not her intention at all when she first agreed to ‘do the right thing’ almost twenty years ago now.

Jayden, whose ex was a townie wannabe for the mob, the struggle for the Teatro Regio in Torino, Gabrielle, Viv... all casualties of the battle either directly or indirectly….now we, and my entire family, find ourselves spread around the globe in various witness protection programs. And Giannas ‘family’ is decimated, all surviving members finding themselves on the run or already incarcerated awaiting trial. The goodbyes with my children were hard, harder than I can say, but I was happy to see they didn’t hold anything against their stepmother, and actually seemed proud of what she had done to fight evil and make the world a better place for their children.

Talk about problems with the in-laws...

The entire time I had been obsessed with my frivolous sports career she had been caught in a life and death struggle between good and evil, law and crime - and had still done her best to support me and be a part of my life.  How self centered and silly do I feel now?

When I told her how silly I felt Gia took me in her arms and, as she always did, reassured me that she believed in me and was proud of what I had done.  She told me that if I had been so frivolous the entire city of Bilbao wouldn’t still be mourning the loss of their managerial legend who performed the ‘Miracle of San Mames’ winning the La Liga title against all odds as a relatively unheralded foreigner before disappearing into the night less than a year later.

Now, she assures me, it is finally time for us to relax, enjoy our life together and ride off into the sunset, which is music to my ears. These last years I have missed her so much that I would follow her if she told me it was time to ride into the sun itself.

• PB

THE END

Despite things escalating quickly, you sir get a round of applause.  Great read, and your ability to intertwine the on-field and off-field product together was fantastic.  Hope to see another diary pop up!

2 hours ago, JayR2003 said:

Despite things escalating quickly, you sir get a round of applause.  Great read, and your ability to intertwine the on-field and off-field product together was fantastic.  Hope to see another diary pop up!

Thank you very much, the end would have been a longer journey over at least a season if not two but, well, life happened - as it sometimes does. So in turn things escalated quickly for Peter and Gianna ;) 

I'm glad to hear you would be interested in another story... and - well.... please stay tuned....

On 11/10/2016 at 18:51, gmulv said:

One word for this - fantastic!!

thanks for the effort and time that undoubtedly went into this. It's much appreciated.

looking forward to the next one....

Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun doing it, even though life kept eating into the time needed to do what I wanted with it ;) 

Archived