Gundo's FM16 European Adventure Challenge™

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my adventure with Frigg didn't last long. I really did struggle to get results and was sacked after 17 games being rock bottom. So I will have to give it another shot with another team. That's football.:D

Here we go!

Fraserburgh in Scotland. Silverware in this club resumes itself to 3 regional leagues.

My goal this year is to see how far I can go with a traditional british, fast paced 4-4-2.

(Thanks to Fastbasher for the rest dates post, I would have never guessed I'd have to save on 3 different dates.)

Sorry to hear Taunton, who you thinking next?

Not sure. Will play around a bit to see what country and team I prefer. Have completed the challenge in 2012 and 2014, so the pressure is on this year:D

And good luck, kingjericho. Will be interesting to see how far you can go with the 442.

The League

We started with 3 losses and 4 draws from out first 7 games and it looked like a tough fight against relegation.

Things then started to turn and we went storming up the league. I'm not exactly sure what changed, but we owe a lot to the four loanees we took from our parent club Haladas.

In the end the promotion came fairly easily. Even after giving the field a 7 game head start.

Putnok ran away with the title and maintained a 6-10pt lead for most of the season. ashton321, you have another challenge to beat my AI now as well.

Monor came back up, and went back down. They sacked one manager mid season and the second resigned at the end. Maybe I dodged a bullet getting out of there.

The Players

The loanees were some of our top performers, but the stand out player was Balázs Petró. Once he started firing, the team started firing.

The good news it that all four of the loanees extended for another season.

Transfers

Finally paid for a player, but only a minimal amount. Roland Matejkó only ended up being a sub though, due to the form of Petró and Takács.

The rest were a collection of freebies and loans. The sale of Lázár kept the bean counters happy.

We currently have 60k GBP as a transfer budget for the next season.

The League

The step up was seamless. At the winter break we were in a comfortable second and looking to challenge Újpest for the title. Then disaster struck and we lost Petró to long term injury. He was the league's top scorer at the time.

We ended up holding on for third place, while Újpest ran away with the league.

Putnok also managed to survive, so good news for the previous seasons promoted teams.

Under 19s

The future is bright as the academy produced some more promising talents and managed to win the club a title.

I tried to give some of them a chance in the first team, but the best ones all seemed to be central midfielders. They often ended up playing an U19s game on Friday, then subbing on for 15-20mins in a senior game on Saturday.

The Players

Unbelievable tEkkers. Milán Ekker was on loan last season, but moved permanently this season. He stepped up once Petró got injured and finished as the third top scorer in the league (an award that surely would have gone to Petró if he wasn't injured for 3 months) and won the Division I young player of the year award. He was also a regular in the Hungarian U21 team.

Kalmán Kanta continued his development with a break out season. In the first half of the season he lead the U19s to the top of the table as well as making 8 appearances in the first team.

In the second half of the season he went out on loan to Diósd and made 20 appearances in the Hungarian second division.

He also became a starter on the Hungarian U19 national team and played for them in the European U19 championships.

Extra time

Haladás ended up cancelling our affiliation due to being in the same league. We got a new senior affiliate in Dinamo of Croatia. The are a champions league team with many talented youngsters. They did send us two 16yr olds. They weren't good enough for the first team, but helped the U19s win their title.

The Kozármisleny manager has started a feud with me. Which is funny because in real life I once told him to get his players off a field as we had it booked. This game is so realistic.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League          	  Position         Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Monor         Div II                   N/A              Sacked in 19th mid season
2017/18    Tatabánya     Div II                   15th
2018/19    Tatabánya     Div II                   2nd              Promoted
2019/20    Tatabánya     Div I                    3rd

What can I say. Went much better than expected and we were never really in any danger of being relegated with 9-10 points at most times down to death zone and without counting the 4 match streak without any goals we didn't have any major dips in form either.

Key players:

Flavius Chisu: 15 goals and 13 assists speaks for itself. Didn't do much during the fall but when spring came around he really started kicking in those assists.

Valentin Ghenovici: Despite not having anything he truly shines in he managed to bang in 12 goals and often kept the stats-wise superior Adrian Popa out of the team.

Adrian Mitea: Our version of Santi Cazorla. Not alot of assists but basically everything constructive went through him.

Youth Intake:

Garbage besides this lad

Next season:

Will probably aim for a higher position but not necessarily any of the promotion slots but probably around 4-5th can be reasonable to aim for. Besides I should look to strengthen the finances as they are somewhat poor right (-£230k) and the board are denying all my requests because of it. My biggest fear is that we might be forced to sell Mitea to go around.

Thanks FjollFan. Congrats on another solid season yourself.

To be honest, I was enjoying Monor more. Tatabánya were in the top flight until 2008 and have experienced regular European competition.

The infrastructure is still good. My coaching is one of the best in Hungary and scouting is worldwide.

Only about 3 or 4 teams are signing players of a similar level.

This is like a quickstart to the challenge, as the lower end is quite easy. It is kind of like when Rangers were sent to the Scottish third div a few seasons ago.

Have been struggling with picking a team for a first save since last night, but I've settled with trying to get Afan Lido for the fourth year in a row!

Never been able to topple the might of TNS in previous years, so winning the title will be my first aim.

Holidaying now - hopefully won't be too much of an issue to get the Lido to show up.

Good luck Jaskar. Great place to make a first post.

Gundo, I've had all week off work plugging away at this. So, not so fast.

Indeed good luck Jasker.:thup:

Fastbasher, I managed to get a save going yesterday and still in pre-season!:eek:

I'm resisting posting anything up until I've survived my first season.

Tatabánya preseason 2020/21.

Well, the Europa League Qualifiers didn't last too long.

1st qualifying round, 5-1 home and 6-0 away vs Glacis Utd of Gibraltar

2nd qualifying round, 0-1 home, 1-2 away vs Mlada Boleslav of the Czech Republic

The big news though, is the signing of Hungarian International, Dániel Böde.

He was released on a free transfer from Crystal Palace having played 144 games and scoring 69 goals during three seasons in the premiership and one in the championship.

His wage demands were high, and he is 33 now, but he should be able to tear the Hungarian Division one to bits.

Personal

And so it begins, time for me to take Afan Lido to the top of the league and beyond!

Amazingly, for the first time ever in my experience with the Welsh leagues, TNS failed to win the league during the holiday season, with Port Talbot taking the title on goal difference. Maybe luck will be on my side this time around.

Good luck to everyone else who has started already!

Edit - Wales now resets on the 19th, so a day earlier if you want to update the first post Gundo.

Well, preseason was going well. On top of Böde, I was also able to bring in another Hungarian ex-international in defence and loan Toth for another season.

I did make a controversial decision of selling Kante. 140k GBP up front, 30k extras and a 30% of next sale clause seemed too good to turn down.

Unfortunately, things did not go well on the field. Böde scored 6 goals in his first three games (we lost them all by 1 goal), then went injured for two months. Our only decent keeper also went out injured.

Nothing from the previous seasons was working. I hope it's just coincidence that I'm now on the full version.

With three draws and 10 losses, the board gave me an ultimatum to win my next game. Unfortunately that game was away to runaway league leaders Újpest. We held on for a while, but they opened the scoring in the 82nd minute and I was sacked shortly after the full time whistle.

Holidaying again. Hopefully another fresh team will come up. The highlight of these four seasons was getting a taste of European football. However brief.

Career Summary

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Monor         Div II                   N/A              Sacked in 19th mid season
2020/21    Tatabánya     Div I                    N/A              Europa League 2nd rnd Quailifier. Sacked. 

That didn't take long.

I've been hired as manager of Cegléd in the Hungarian division II. They came up to the 2nd div for the first time in FM16, so meet the original criteria.

147k GBP transfer budget, 14k wage budget gives room to work with.

The chairman is also new, so it's a fresh start for both of us.

My assistant manager and one coach walked out of Tatabánya when I was sacked. I've repaid their loyalty by hiring them at Cegléd.

There are 11 full time players and one youth player, so room to pad out the squad with my own players. The GK looks decent for this level.

I've just signed a 35yr old defender with a proven track record and a supporter spokesperson claims it is 'an outrageous waste of money'.

He was signed for free, with zero signing fees, only token bonuses and 170 gbp per week.

Which school of economics did this supporter spokesperson go to?

Wow. Seems some of the Hungarian clubs are pushing ahead.

Újpest made the champions league group stages, which can only be good for our co-efficient. They're in a group with Man Utd and Atletico, so I can't see them going further. They're also signing players for over 1m GBP and have loanees from their senior affiliate, Championship club Charlton.

A couple of other teams are selling players for over 1m, so wont be long before they are buying them at this price.

Tatabánya have signed former Man Utd winger Chris Eagles for the second division and even at 35, he is a beast, averaging 8.08. League rep must be going up.

I've just signed a 35yr old defender with a proven track record and a supporter spokesperson claims it is 'an outrageous waste of money'.

He was signed for free, with zero signing fees, only token bonuses and 170 gbp per week.

Which school of economics did this supporter spokesperson go to?

I've had a similar thing with some of my signings - the supporters are commenting on a 'large chunk of the transfer budget' being used to sign a player for no fee and no extra clauses. Have put it in the bugs forum.

Personal

And so it begins, time for me to take Afan Lido to the top of the league and beyond!

Amazingly, for the first time ever in my experience with the Welsh leagues, TNS failed to win the league during the holiday season, with Port Talbot taking the title on goal difference. Maybe luck will be on my side this time around.

Good luck to everyone else who has started already!

Edit - Wales now resets on the 19th, so a day earlier if you want to update the first post Gundo.

Good luck with Lido, i did youth challenge with them on fm15 and it was great. Good facilities for the welsh leagues.

Pre-season/transfer update.

I have decided to entirely look for free transfers this summer to hopefully avoid the scary red numbers and in a cheaper way strengthen the team. Only Denis Chivari is a-team material though and hopefully the one who will replace Mitea next season onwards. This means our central midfield is looking pretty damn good for now.

Besides Chivari the team is not that much stronger this season though so promotion will be very hard for us and a mid table spot will be more likely.

Fastbasher: 4 months of beach and sangria does sound like it's worth an angry boss :D

Cheers Gundo. Finally, a major tournament to look forward to. I haven't seen Hungary play so well in.......... forever really.

I was very impressed and Ádám Nagy looks a good prospect. They will be my team to follow in the Euro's for sure. :thup:

The League

Everything was going smooth. We were in 12th place with 12 games to go in a fairly congested table, then disaster struck. In our 4-1-4-1 formation we lost our Striker, Keeper and DM to injuries at the same time. The next 9 games without them yielded one win, two draws and six losses as we sunk to 18th with three games to go.

The Striker and Keeper came back and the DM had a recurring injury. I played the Striker and Keeper semi-fit out of necessity, and since the DM was not renewing his contract, I treated him with needles for the final three games.

We got a win, a loss and a draw to sneak into safety. The draw was in the last round against my old club, Tatabánya, and was required for safety.

The Players

Gábor Makrai was the key striker for us. He may have only scored 15 goals, but for the nine games he was out injured, we really missed him. With only an underdeveloped 19yr old for backup we provided very little threat when he was out.

Sándor Kristófi was our other star performer. He chipped in with 8 goals and 15 assists from the right wing and only missed two games all season.

Krisztián Páli was one of three promising players to come through the academy. My staff say he is a high potential player. If he can gain 5 on each attribute between the age of 15-20 then he'll definitely be a decent central defender domestically. I just have to have a talk to his parents about getting a more respectable haircut.

Extra Time

By signing some of my old Tatabánya staff, my coaching setup is the best in the second division. Physio staff are decent. Could use another decent scout, but there are no better free ones and the board are blocking any that require compensation payments.

I've kept an eye on my Tatabánya youth star, Kálmán Kanta. He was a key member of the Hungarian U20 team that made the semi final of the U20 World Cup this season, before losing 1-2 to Spain, then 0-2 to Italy in the 3rd place playoff. Eagerly waiting his first full cap and hoping he goes far. He's still playing in the second division for Nyiregyháza, but at least he's a first team regular.

Most of the team are retiring or out of contract at the end of the season. So, it's a complete make over, but I have a 230k transfer budget to do it. Going to be a fun off season, but I'm seriously thinking about giving youth a chance.

Career Summary

2020/21    Tatabánya     Div I                    N/A              Europa League 2nd Round Qualifier. Sacked.
2021/22    Cegléd        Div II                   17th

At least you managed to survive releagtion Fastbasher.:thup: Your bad luck with injuries rings true with me too and it is very tough on your selection when you have no replacments or very weak ones by comparison! In my opinion giving youth a chance is the way to go and its much more satisfying when you do acheive something with home grown talents too.:cool:

Giving youth a chance and it's not working well. A 15yr old, two 16yr olds and two 19yr olds in the starting 11.

Four losses to start the season with a minus 14 goal difference. In the last two games we set three records.

Fastest goal: 18 seconds, Gábor Makrai

Highest scoring game: 3-7 loss to Csákvár

Biggest loss: 0-6 to Nyiregyháza

football_79081.png

League table: So this whole goalscoring shenanigans hasn't been our strength, luckily we were capable of boring our opponents to death so we gained wins here and there and to be fair I have no idea how we are so high up in the table. We have 6 points up to the playoff spot but that is nothing I am aiming for although I wouldn't complain :D

Fixtures: As mentioned, we are not a team that scores or concedes a lot besides the 2-3 match extravaganza against Juventus Bucuresti. Most puzzling is that we are better against the top contenders as we played 0-0 and 1-0 against the two runaways at the top, while we lost against Voluntari, Calarasi and 1-1 against hopeless Tarlungeni. Biggest worry by far is if Chisu gets injured since he has scored 40 % of our goals.

As for the rest of the season I will look to keep our current position and then early on secure a replacement for Mitea who leaves after the season.

Edit: Thank god, finally the board does something I approve of

Sacked!!!

Results were not really going our way. Although there were several one goal losses there and quite a few games we were actually leading at one point.

We started with 6 straight losses. Then 3 draws where we played well and it started to give us hope. Then top scorer Gábor Makrai went out injured for three months.

In truth, we never looked close to being survivors and I'm surprised the chairman was so lenient.

We finished with 1 win, 5 draws and 19 losses from 25 league games.

Makrai and loanee Gábor Olah top scored with 7 each.

Academy player Krisztián Páli was starting to make some progress.

The loyal Ass Man and Coach who followed me out of Tatabánya have again walked out of Cegléd. They have a job for life as long as I'm managing.

I'll holiday again, but there can't be many teams left who haven't been up already.

'Sacked three times, but never been relegated' ;)

Career Summary

2020/21    Tatabánya     Div I                    N/A              Europa League 2nd Round Qualifier. Sacked.
2021/22    Cegléd        Div II                   17th
2022/23    Cegléd        Div II                   N/A              Sacked in 20th mid season

Hopefully fourth time lucky, Fastbasher!

Getting towards the end of my first season, we're safe since the league split but have fallen apart since then. We looked like we might challenge for the title at one point!

Should have a season update over the weekend.

Archived