Gundo's FM16 European Adventure Challenge™

Gundo's FM16 European Adventure Challenge™

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdN3YZ8eYD8dyUzFpNCnYlGtBnePMgDuwlYecMUMUe0ecJ2QzB

Another year and another FM!!
:cool:

The History

Gundo's European Adventure Challenge was first introduced as an alternative to the dafuge challenge back on FM06. It is essentially a 'small club to big club challenge' with a different name. It has unearthed some true diamonds - player-wise over the years, to name just one - the Swedish/Polish youngster Patrik Burda was just magical for many of us on FM06 and 07. In truth it's the participants of the challenge that make it what it is, with stories of success and some of failure. Hopefully this challenge will be around for many more versions yet.
:thup:

One of the more memorable challenge attempts was that of
La Furia Roja
(Formerly Aussieant32) who fell in love with his chosen club FC Oss, so much, that he flew out to watch them irl! The full story was featured in the 'Football Manager Stole My Life Book'. The original thread documenting his FC Oss obsession can be seen here;
icon6.png

The Aim

To take a small club who where previously unplayable in the game from the lower leagues to their Domestic League Title and Champions League crown (doesn't have to be in the same season). I realize it's not an easy challenge, but should be a lot of fun trying.

The Set-up

European Leagues you can't use: Belgium,
England
France
Germany
Italy
Portugal
, Russia
Spain, Turkey and The Netherlands

*Because of no relegations in Ireland and Belgium, if you wish to play in that nation you must use the team that finished bottom in lowest playable division after one holiday season

*You can also manage in Scotland this year. They do whoever have a relegation/promotion play-off at the end of the season to see who wins a place back in the third division. You must reload until a previously unplayable team gets promoted

*FM15 League reputations -
Eligible nations below the line

England          185 
Spain            180 
Germany          172  
Italy            170 
France           155
Portugal         145 
Russia           143 
Turkey           135 
Netherlands      134
--------------------[b]
Ukraine          130 
Greece           128  
_Belgium          122 No promotion or relegation to bottom tier.[/b][b]
Romania          118[/b][i] 
[b]Scotland        117[/b][/i][b][b]
Denmark          115[/b][/b] [b]
Switzerland      114[/b][b] 
Austria          112[/b][b][b] 
Czech Republic   112[/b][/b]  [b][i]
Israel           111[/i][/b][b] 
Poland           109[/b] 
[b]Serbia           108
[/b][b][b]Croatia          106
[/b][/b][b][b]Bulgaria         106[/b][/b][b][b] 
Slovakia         106[/b][/b][b]  
Norway           105[/b]  [b][b]
Belarus          104[/b][/b][b][b] 
Sweden           102[/b][/b][b]  
Slovenia         99  
Hungary          98
[/b][b]Iceland          95[/b] 
[b]Finland          90[/b]  [b]
Ireland          90 
N. Ireland       72[/b]  
[b]Wales            58[/b]    

Getting started

• Load a game with all the available divisions within the nation you have selected; only one nation is allowed.

• You are free to use a Large, Medium or Small a database.

• You are free to load players from Top Clubs (Europe or All Continents - This increases the challenge at Continental Level).

• You are free to load Players Based in Your Nation Only.

• You are also free to load current international players from each continent if you choose.

• NO other additional customising is allowed.

• Attribute masking should be enabled.

• Add yourself as an unemployed Manager (hol_man); the personal details are not important at all.

• Then go on holiday until the new seasons teams are generated, each country will be different, so be sure to check the table below. An example: Norway's is 13th January. (Hint - saving the day before on 12th January for Norway, should give you a better choice of teams by being able to quit and reloading the game). A list of rough dates for your relevant nation will be listed below.

League re-set dates from FM15
(+ denotes confirmed FM16 re-set dates)

Austria - 25th June.

+Belarus - 14th February

*Belgium
-
no promotions or relegation to bottom tier.

+Bulgaria - 30th July.

+Croatia - 19th June.

CzechRepublic - 30th June.

+Denmark - 29th June.

+Finland - 25th November

Greece - 20th June.

+Hungary
- 19th June.

Iceland -
25th November.

+Israel - 19th June.

Ireland -

N.Ireland - 20th June.

+Norway - 13th January.

Poland - 30th June.

+Romania - 30th June

+Scotland- 20th June (save 30th April for choice of teams by reloading - Playoff game is 14th May)

Serbia - 10th July.

Slovakia- 29th June.

Slovenia - 1st July.

Sweden - 15th December.

Switzerland - 20th June.

Ukraine - 27th June.

+Wales - 19th June.

Remember to save a few days before unconfirmed dates to ensure they are correct.

If you could please post any confirmed dates for FM16 in the thread as soon as you have them and I will update accordingly.

Then do the following...

• Then retire your original manager profile.

• Add a new manager, the person details are up to you but 'past experience' must be set as 'Sunday League Footballer' when available. Coaching badges must be set to 'None', but he coaching attributes are completely up to you.

• I understand that choosing your nationality may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this, I would expect people to use their own nationalities/second nationalities.

• Take over one of the newly promoted clubs to the lowest playable division within your selected nation. If you are not sure about which clubs have been promoted simply check the nation overview screen and check the promoted teams to the bottom division in the 'season summary' section.

• It is completely up to you which club you choose, although please appreciate that some clubs may be easier to manage than others. example; Some clubs will have a full squad of players and staff, while others won't. Also some will have higher reputations than others making it easier to sign players ect. So choose wisely. The nation you've chosen to manage in will affect difficulty too.

• It is now up to you to manage your chosen club to their domestic title and to win the UEFA Champions League.

• You are not permitted to move between clubs unless you are sacked; whereby then you can either take over a newly promoted club to the lowest playable division next time the reset date comes round or simply quit your current save and start over.

• Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

• There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

Scouting Guidelines

• You can only sign players that you are able to scout or trial at the club first, so in short the player must have the 'Get scout report' button on his profile screen. The one exception to this is when you ask a current squad member to recommend a new signing, It is then ok to sign him as the player who recommended him knows of him anyway.If an agent offers you a player, it is ok to sign the player.

• No external utilities such as FMScout.

Rules for this Thread

• Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

• Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

• Screenshots for anything in-game are encouraged, as are youtube clips of matches ect. I will advise you to put video clips as links only though and not as a direct click and play type.This will keep the thread fairly clutter free and make browsing it quicker.

• When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your managers Personal Screen (it's the screen that shows your starting rep., dob ect.) on the date you take control at your new club.

• Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. We want to hear the story of your club all the way through (success or failure). So please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

• At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including the minimum of a screenshot of the league table. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier for others to pick out.

• Use of save game editors is strictly banned, whatever the reason. Ticking that box at the start should see to this.

How to Post a Screenshot

1. While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

2. Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

3. Save the file as a JPEG

4. Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

5. Post the direct Url to the image here.

Big thanks to johnnyquest409 for compiling the hall of fame for all the previous completed attempts at this challenge.
:thup:

And thank you all for your continued participation.

Enjoy your European Adventure!
:cool:

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent bought FM16 yet, will likely purchase it Friday on full release and get cracking then.:)

As soon as people have confirmed reset dates for there chosen nation, I would appreciate it greatly if you could post them up in here and I'll update them in the OP. Cheers.:thup:

Enjoy the adventure!!!:p

As far as I saw already in the youth challenge topic, Belgium has made a reform in Division 3and there will be no teams promoted from the unpöayable the first year

Thanks for this, that is a shame. I will amend the the OP.

Lillehammer is a cool club and I will look forward to following you progress. Stian Ringstad too, ahh the good old days. He actually went on to sign for Lillestrøm after his breakthrough at Eidsvold Turn and actually plays left back I think now in the top tier in Norway.

OK I will have something up this evening.

I love this challenge and always seem to come back to it.

I am thinking maybe Hungary but will see.

I can confirm that Croatia and Bulgaria dates have been moved forward one

So 19th Croatia and 30th Bulgaria.

Hungary 19th June

Hi guys, (boy there are some old names in this thread!!!) :lol:

I recently had cause to holiday in Italy, (in game), and I'm wondering if SI have changed the way that teams are promoted in terms of re-set days? The reason that I think that is that when I was trying to get San Marino promoted from Serie D, (I think there are 9 leagues at that level), it didn't work saving on the 28th June and then just processing 1 day.

Although the same clubs didn't get promoted each time, it was certainly a small number of clubs that got promoted. IN the end I gave up, (after about half a days re-loading), and went forward another 12 months.

My thinking is that the game had already decided who the teams were from the 9 Serie D leagues who were involved in playoffs, (2nd-5th in all 9 leagues so that's 36 teams and if San Marino wasn't on the list, then no matter how many times you reloaded, they were never going to appear.

Anyway, I know that Italy are not on your list of Nations, but if someone is having a problem with getting a specific club promoted and rep is unlikely to be an issue, then this is probably why and the potential solution is to go forward an additional year rather than going back and reloading again and again and again.

Hi and bye and good-luck to all. :thup:

I recently had cause to holiday in Italy, (in game), and I'm wondering if SI have changed the way that teams are promoted in terms of re-set days? The reason that I think that is that when I was trying to get San Marino promoted from Serie D, (I think there are 9 leagues at that level), it didn't work saving on the 28th June and then just processing 1 day.

Although the same clubs didn't get promoted each time, it was certainly a small number of clubs that got promoted. IN the end I gave up, (after about half a days re-loading), and went forward another 12 months.

My thinking is that the game had already decided who the teams were from the 9 Serie D leagues who were involved in playoffs, (2nd-5th in all 9 leagues so that's 36 teams and if San Marino wasn't on the list, then no matter how many times you reloaded, they were never going to appear.

Anyway, I know that Italy are not on your list of Nations, but if someone is having a problem with getting a specific club promoted and rep is unlikely to be an issue, then this is probably why and the potential solution is to go forward an additional year rather than going back and reloading again and again and again.

Hi Jim,

I think a few had raised some questions about the way promotions worked from non-playable divisions last season in certain nations. I'm unsure as to what may or may not have changed this year as I'm haven't bought FM16 yet, although I will be Friday.:cool:

I'll keep an eye on people's experiences and my own of course see how it plays out, thanks for posting this up though.

The playoffs in Serie D are only used to determine the priority order incase of bankruptcy in higher divisions, the reason San Marino are extremely difficult to get promoted (to the point it is easier to Holiday a second season) is because they are in the same division as Parma, and i'd assume Parma's reputation is that much higher that they will get the promotion spot everytime.

I have been holidaying around Europe (i often do when i first get a FM) and it seems about the same if i keep on reloading to me.

Alright, back in the game. A bit boring, but I've taken over Monor again in Hungary. The same as FM14.

We have three part time players and the rest are amateur. I think I have to replace all of them.

There is one other new team with amateurs, but the rest have professional or semi-pro players.

With the bottom three teams getting relegated, the first season will be tough.

Signed my first player. A 32yr old Hungarian left back. Looked much better than the incumbent. He actually lowers the average age of the team.

I took him on trial and he did well in three preseason friendlies. I like how you gradually see a more accurate picture of a players attributes the more he plays.

Signed my first player. A 32yr old Hungarian left back. Looked much better than the incumbent. He actually lowers the average age of the team.

I took him on trial and he did well in three preseason friendlies. I like how you gradually see a more accurate picture of a players attributes the more he plays.

Yeah at first I was sceptical of the gradual attribute reveal the more he plays or is scouted, well when it was first introduced, however it is a great addition to FM and raises the realism further more.:thup:

Hello Gundo,

in the full release of FM16 there will be a promotion/relegation in the bottom Belgium tier. To my information there is allready a promotion/relegation in the Beta version, but only at the end of season 2018/2019.

Putnok - Season Review 2016/17

14448.png

Putnok

Me

Club

League : A decent season for us all in all. All I wanted to do this year was to stay up and keep my job, but after the way we played I cant help but think it could have been more, we did beat some of the better team in the league but lost against others who we should have beaten. I have to be pleased but tinged with some thoughts of what could have been.

Cup : Daft really not much more to say. I am amazed at how we did, superb so close but not cigar for us

Transfers : Decent players came into the club, not much quality but certainly add with the depth of the squad and some of the younger players should be decent

Finances : Garbage

Stars

Janos Ondo : Best striker at the club by a mile, I had to fight to keep this bloke at the club at the start superb player and one I can hold onto

Bence Komlossy : A decent solid Defender nothing special but did very well for us

Career Summary

Season     Team          League          	  Position         Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Putnok         Division 2              7th               Stayed Up

Nice to see it up and running. Is it possible to do the challenge in FMC (FMT)? It takes me ages to get through a seson in the full fat. Its age, i suppose:D

Hey Taunton,

Yeah if the majority of the participants are ok with it in here, should be cool to use that version and then post up your updates in here. :thup:

Hello Gundo,

in the full release of FM16 there will be a promotion/relegation in the bottom Belgium tier. To my information there is allready a promotion/relegation in the Beta version, but only at the end of season 2018/2019.

Thanks for the info Bartram, so you would need to holiday until the end of the 2018/19 season then in order to play in Belgium?

Nice work on staying up ashton321. I just checked János Ondó on my game.

He signed for Gyirmót from Putnok for 16.75k GBP. So far he's scored 11 goals, provided 2 assists and was man of the match 3 times in his 15 league games. Average rating 7.37

Definitely a good player for this level.

Although not quite halfway through the season, we now have a 3 month mid-winter break. So it seems a good time for a progress update.

The table shows we are just keeping our heads above water. The pleasing thing is that we are competitive in most games.

The disappointing thing is that our aging squad seems to be getting slower every week. Other managers are even taunting me about how old they are.

Must get some younger legs in when the transfer window opens.

The good news is that two of them are joining the backroom staff when they retire. I'm hoping to convince a couple more.

István Farkas is the only player I've signed. He seems a cut above most of the team. Unfortunately my scout hasn't been able to find anyone else I believe will improve the team.

Five amateur players signed part time contracts. The rest I'm keeping as amateurs until they leave of their own free will. No cost.

Using 900 GBP of a 3600 GBP wage budget. Have plenty of cash if the right player shows up.

Looking for a Keeper, DM and Striker in the transfer window for a good chance of staying up.

One of my older players will become our scout at the end of the season when he retires. His scouting stats are better than my current scout and his playing stats are worse than a 16yr old grey player.

Any way to get him to retire now?

I suspect 'reconsider retirement' is not what I'm looking for.

Well, the transfer window brought a bit of activity. I brought in 3 players on a month to month contract, 1 on a part time deal and two 17yrs olds on loan from Debrecen.

Our two central defenders were sold for 9k and 5.5k GBP, making the finances look healthy.

The low point was a 0-1 friendly against loss against our Under 19s.

For some reason it was scheduled at 6am and had an attendance of 0.

As far as the playing went, I was sacked after 26 games, in 19th position with 4 wins, 9 draws, 13 losses, 21pts.

Probably fair. As my squad got older, the play was getting worse. Slower and more mistakes creeping in.

So, holidaying again to see who comes up in the second season.

It looks like Monor and SZEOL are a bigger challenge than other teams in Hungary. All the other teams coming up have full squads of part time players, while they only have amateurs.

I actually enjoyed trying to manage the transition from amateur to semi-pro.

Ok, second try. I've just been hired as the manager of Tatabánya.

14 full time players, 1 youth player. Still no staff.

With 300k GBP (as opposed to 30k), and a wage budget of 13k instead of 3k, this is a real contrast to Monor.

They are a bit of a fallen giant in Hungarian football. They played in the UEFA Cup 4 times in the 1980s, the Cup winners cup in 85/86 and 8 times in the Intertoto Cup.

They fell on hard times, with relegation from the top division in 2008 and from the 2nd div in 2014.

Time for a revival.

Have made my way through half of October now with Metaloglobus and so far so good as we are keeping our heads just above the relegation zone. However, one big problem for us at the moment ist the rule that says that at least 2 players aged under 19 are required in the team. I first thought this only applied to starting eleven, but apparently it is required at all times and as we only have 3 U-19 players total including my reserve goalie (who has played some games as midfielder :D) it makes things tricky for us.

Will probably do a proper mid season round-up when I get home from work.

Edit: Hope it works better for you this time Fastbasher.

FjollFan can you add grey players for that U19 rule?

Or just leave a couple of empty spots on the bench.

I had a similar thing at Monor. Two U21 players were required in the match day squad, but we didn't have any. Every match day two U21 greyed out keepers would appear to be selected. Just a shame that my 2nd and 3rd choice keepers never made the bench.

football_79081.png

League: As mentioned, so far so good. Six points down to the dreaded relegation zone. if we can keep this spot for the rest of the season I will be more than happy.

Fixtures: We are pretty dreadful away from home with only one victory so far but on the other hand we are much better at our home in front of the massive 350 supporters :D Highlight at this time is the 3-1 victory against D. Calarasi and the point we got against ACS Poli

Transfers: As we barely had enough players to fill the 11 spots I had to do some transfers and not be too picky, although most of the transfers are part of the first team.

Tactics: The goal was to survive and this tactic reflects that. I want to make sure that no one can just stroll into our penalty box without a fight. But due to generally poor quality of the team it doesn't succeed all the time ;)

Finances: Meh

Best players so far:

Adrian Popa: Although his rating doesn't reflect it, he is a constant threat with his high Finishing and Off the ball movement but he would score a lot more if he was a tad bit faster

Adrian Mitea: The big star of the team and one I will have to fight to keep over the transfer windows. While he doesn't have a lot of assists he is still responsible for almost everything important the team does.

Looking good FjollFan. I'm jealous of those massive transfer fees you shelled out.

Is it really 6 teams that get relegated?

Glad you showed Mitea. I always feel the DM is a key player in that sort of formation. He looks like he's heading in the right direction.

Fastbasher: Yeah, I'm surprised the board is allowing such ridiculous fees and I still have £300k if I wanted to.

Yeah, 6 teams but I don't know if it will stay that way as in the first season Division 2 consist of two groups which are merged 2016/17.

I agree, DM is a favorite position of mine and I always feel naked without one :D Sad news is though that at the moment he won't discuss a new contract :(

Will give it a shot this year in my native Norway. I holidayed for two years because there were many boring teams,and reserve teams coming up the first year.

But I finally found an interesting club, a fallen great from Oslo, Frigg FK. The manager taking on the task of restore them to former greats is Egil Nykirke.

I have a soft spot for Uruguay and when you look at the tactics screen it looks like it is Uruguay in disguise.:D

After three losses I got my first win in the derby against arch rivals Lyn. The first season is all about staying up. And I play this in FMT.

This season was a bit of a roller coaster as we were trying to find our place in the higher division.

We started with three straight losses, then a run of 4 wins and a draw from the next 5 games, eventually entering the mid season break in 9th spot.

I then took a bold move to sell our top scorer, Richárd Szabó, for 40k GBP (rising to 53k). He had 11 goals from 16 games at the time.

This decision was a long term one. I saw us stranded mid table with or without him, but with the money the board agreed to upgrade the youth facilities.

The goals dried up a bit after Szabó left and our final league position was 15th.

The most promising player in the first team is István Timkó. He overcame a setback of a broken foot, which kept him out for 4 months, but still had a decent season.

The academy brought through three decent prospects. The one the coaches are really raving about is Kálmán Kanta. Since I don't have much cover in central mid, he should get a few first team chances next season.

The big difference between Tatabánya and Monor is the infrastructure. The higher reputation team allowed me to hire a good coaching staff, as opposed to one rubbish one at Monor.

A decent scout also gave me around a thousand players choose from, as opposed to fifty at Monor. He could also scout most of Europe, instead of just Hungary.

This squad is already pretty decent compared to most of DivII, but a replacement Striker for Szábo and perhaps a strong DC or two could make them challengers for promotion next season.

Archived