FM16: Arsenal FC - Why Fly When You Can Walk on Water

FMFanatic2016

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Currently playing as Arsenal in January transfer window of 1st season. Have had bids accepted and agreed terms for both Bernardo Silva & Marco Reus, but only want to sign one and not sure which to go for! Any suggestions?

Reus transfer is approx £67m inc. signing on fees etc., and Bernardo Silva is only £21.5m.

Reus better player at present but Silva potential to surpass Reus and £40m cheaper!!

Bernardo Silva definitely looks quality but on my Arsenal save I bought Reus for around the same price (£66m) and he was my standout performer, scored 22 goals and assisted 15. Well worth the money. He was rarely injured and led me to a treble in my first season (League Cup, Prem and UCL) played him on the right wing as a raumdeuter switching wings constantly with Alexis and it was devistating. He is so fluid and brings alot of unpredictability to your team. Would highly recommend the german!

At the moment: Push Higher Up, Close Down More, Shorter Passing, Retain Possession, Play Out Of Defence. If I need to see a game out or want to go a bit more defensive, then I take off Close Down More and Push Higher Up, and add Slower Tempo.

Thanks man, I've found with my 4-4-1-1 I'm hard to beat but I frustratingly I haven't managed to get a consistent run of wins. I'm using the same TI's you mention.

My midfield 4 are - Wide Mid/S; Deep Lying Playmaker/D; Midfield/D; Wide Mid/S and ahead I'm using Adv Playmaker/S & Complete Forward/A.

I'm finding this the trickiest FM to date, am really enjoying it.

Thanks man, I've found with my 4-4-1-1 I'm hard to beat but I frustratingly I haven't managed to get a consistent run of wins. I'm using the same TI's you mention.

My midfield 4 are - Wide Mid/S; Deep Lying Playmaker/D; Midfield/D; Wide Mid/S and ahead I'm using Adv Playmaker/S & Complete Forward/A.

I'm finding this the trickiest FM to date, am really enjoying it.

Looking at your midfield set-up, there's not a lot of verticality being created. You'll have a nice, solid shape, which is why you're hard to beat, but at the same time none of your midfielders are getting up in support of your lone forward. You could try putting you Wide Midfielders onto Attack duty and see if that helps. Or, if you want to keep them on support, try using attacking full-backs.

whts the best cb pair? kos nd gabrial is doin fine til nw. does anyone rate per? too slow for my taste.

Mertesacker doesn't need pace as his anticipation and positioning is so high as is his tackling. As long as you have coq in front of him breaking up play and the whole team as a whole pressing high up the pitch your defence will be fine. However Gabriel is very good back up/rotation option.

has anyone got any successful tactics they'd like to share?

Not at laptop atm, so no screenies.

4-2-3-1 Bellerin complete wingback (attack), Merteicelny as central defenders (defend), Monreal fullback (support); Le Coq BWM (defend), Ramsey B2B; Ox winger (support), Ozil AP (support) ), Sanchez IF (attack); Giroud CF (support).

In the second season Pogba came in for Ramsey. I also bought Morata intending to phase Giroud out, but the handsome one hit 50 odd goals, so he's still the main man.

League, Champions League, League Cup and Charity Shield first season. League, Champions League, FA Cup, World Club Cup and Charity Shield second.

Not all rosey though, lost to Spurs THREE times second season, twice in league and European Super Cup.

Got Gotze on a free season three, Barca sniffing around Ozil, so I might let him go if they come in big. Not that I need the money, sitting with £130m to spend. Only place I need to strengthen is left back. City caught me napping and nabbed Gaya.

I had this as well. Kroenke has stepped down and some other businessman has taken over for me. I think the tv deal also has something to do with that. My club is the richest in the world all of a sudden, worth a whoopin 2.5 bil euros. By adjusting the wage budget I had a transferkitty of 235 mil. I have bought Neymar with that money. So now my attack is Neymar-Berardi-Sanchez. Scary to say the least. Now if only Berardi would find the net again. 27 goals last season, can't find the net in this one. grrr!

Nice lpcinder

How much is neymar's contract, would love to have him running around in my gunners save.

Not at laptop atm, so no screenies.

4-2-3-1 Bellerin complete wingback (attack), Merteicelny as central defenders (defend), Monreal fullback (support); Le Coq BWM (defend), Ramsey B2B; Ox winger (support), Ozil AP (support) ), Sanchez IF (attack); Giroud CF (support).

In the second season Pogba came in for Ramsey. I also bought Morata intending to phase Giroud out, but the handsome one hit 50 odd goals, so he's still the main man.

League, Champions League, League Cup and Charity Shield first season. League, Champions League, FA Cup, World Club Cup and Charity Shield second.

Not all rosey though, lost to Spurs THREE times second season, twice in league and European Super Cup.

Got Gotze on a free season three, Barca sniffing around Ozil, so I might let him go if they come in big. Not that I need the money, sitting with £130m to spend. Only place I need to strengthen is left back. City caught me napping and nabbed Gaya.

what are your shouts?

Anyone signed John Stones or Alaba? Strongly considering signing Stones and converting him into my DM with a view of playing DLP one day...

just got him in January season one for £43m after offloading Gabriel for £27.5m. Only played a couple games so far but looks like a great investment

Has anybody bought an elite level ball winning midfielder other than bender? I sold flamini and arteta so currently have Fernando Gago as back up to Coquelin who had a decent first season covering and Andres Cubas (Who looks a great prospect) out on loan but I'm just thinking about replacing gago for somebody more mobile? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Preferably a good tackler, decent passer and can get about the pitch.

Nice lpcinder

How much is neymar's contract, would love to have him running around in my gunners save.

22.5 mil per year, which is as much as Alexis Sanchez who wanted an improved contract.

Things keep getting crazier. Since Kroenke has stepped down, the money just keeps coming. I was struggling for about 5 matches and the new chairman stepped in and asked if I wanted more transferfunds. I now have a whopping 250 mil euros availables for transfers. I checked my scouting and set it to "remove unrealistic transfers" and even Messi seems available. The money is totally nuts. I refuse to spend it all on stars though. I prefer scouting for young talent and make them into stars, that's my favorite part of the game. Last fm though I also bought Neymar, who is just an insane player. but grrrrr this game: after 8 games he got an injury for 5 months. A snapped achilles tendon. My injury list: Sanchez/Ozil/Bellerin/Neymar and Walcott. Try to cope with that! I still have to find a good setup for my striker though. For some bizarre reason, they keep missing chances. Morata and Berardi both.

Has anyone played successfully with Ozil as CM? if so what role? I am playing 4-5-1 (but i moved one of the CM to DM, so its 4-1-4-1). he is my worst player in the team, but i am playing well without him.

I use Ozil as CM (AP-attack) and he does very very well.

Anyone signed John Stones or Alaba? Strongly considering signing Stones and converting him into my DM with a view of playing DLP one day...

Bought Stones in my second season. Great and reliable central defender. Good partnership with Bosscielny. What I have found out though is that some partnerships just don't really work. Still trying to figure that out. I'm watching every match in 3d. The first beta release was a tactical walk-over, but since the patch some weeks back it has been very inconsistent for me.

Has anybody bought an elite level ball winning midfielder other than bender? I sold flamini and arteta so currently have Fernando Gago as back up to Coquelin who had a decent first season covering and Andres Cubas (Who looks a great prospect) out on loan but I'm just thinking about replacing gago for somebody more mobile? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Preferably a good tackler, decent passer and can get about the pitch.

I don't use a BWM, but an anchorman, and I have bought Neves from Porto, who is becoming a beast and also Thiago Maia, who is cheap and very very good!

I have Bazoer as backup to Le Coq, cost me £20m. One season in my coaches rate him at 5 star potential. His attributes are decent across the board, and he seems someone you could develop in a lot of different ways. Performs very well when he gets games in the BWM (d) in the CM strata.

I also have Thiago Maia, released on a free first season, but I don't think he'll make it at Arsenal, should get a good fee for him though.

Cheers for the heads up lpcinder. How much did you get Neves for because in the first two seasons he seems to be very expensive!?

Just checked, got him for 26 mil. That's a lot but he's been a lot better than le Coq for me as anchorman. I guess his stats are more suited to the role of anchorman.

I have Bazoer as backup to Le Coq, cost me £20m. One season in my coaches rate him at 5 star potential. His attributes are decent across the board, and he seems someone you could develop in a lot of different ways. Performs very well when he gets games in the BWM (d) in the CM strata.

I also have Thiago Maia, released on a free first season, but I don't think he'll make it at Arsenal, should get a good fee for him though.

Don't give up on him, he really is a good player. Keep playing and training him.

Btw I got Jorge as my young new DL and he has been awesome. Gibbs is second fiddle now.

just got him in January season one for £43m after offloading Gabriel for £27.5m. Only played a couple games so far but looks like a great investment

Barcelona made an initial bid of £17.95m (non-negotiable), I rejected and the next day offered him out for £30m. Barcelona negotiated to £9.5m so I then negotiated to £27.5m which they accepted. Was a pleasant suprise.

I've now got quite a good problem to have, as my squad now boasts 4 amazing attacking players in Ozil, Sanchez, Mata and Gotze. I'm trying to decide how to line up to include all of them. I'm thinking of sticking with my 4-2-3-1, and having the trio of Gotze, Ozil and Mata sat behind Sanchez.

what are your shouts?

Shorter Passing, Play out of Defence, Play Wider, Push Higher Up, Close Down More, Higher Tempo, Prevent Short GK Distribution (aka the shout we put in for a joke because it does bugger all, much like the old close down keeper instruction in previous FMs)

Arsenal second season review.

Transfers (Thiago Maia on a free only first season transfer):

2015-11-17_00001_zpshdfna782.jpg

My usual system:

ff8bb931-733f-4624-be29-c9125312298e_zpsainq8ir2.jpg

A nice start to the season saw the Community Shield stay in London. Jose Mourinho had just been appointed manager after Pellegrini was sacked despite winning the FA Cup:

2015-11-17_00004_zps1o5ogqtv.jpg

Spurs had won the Europa League in the previous season, so we faced them in the Super Cup in Norway. They were able to miss a penalty and still come out with a well deserved win, the first of three that season over us:

2015-11-17_00005_zpszixdtkg3.jpg

Our defence of the League Cup lasted two rounds, before City knocked us out. We played a strongish team, but were outplayed by a full strength City side:

2015-11-17_00006_zpsemkuuddw.jpg

A mid season trip to Japan to bring back the World Club Cup:

2015-11-17_00009_zpsgw3mt8xn.jpg

League was won convincingly with a record points haul. I had been hoping for 100 points, and was on target, but playing some weakened teams cost us in the run in, including our only home loss of the season, against Spurs:

2015-11-17_00003_zpsj4tb6dv4.jpg

Won the FA Cup, with a win over Liverpool that should have been much more convincing. An injury to Olivier Giroud meant that Alvaro Morata led the line, and would again a week later in the Champion's League final:

2015-11-17_00007_zps6aphjnz8.jpg

Champions League retained with a convincing 3-0 win in the final, though I'm not sure the 4-1-4-1 tactic Pep is attributed in the game accurately reflects how Bayern play, they were far too passive in the game, until they were three down, and it took away from my sense of achievement:

2015-11-17_00008_zpsbywzivmh.jpg

Transfers for the new season:

2015-11-17_00002_zpsn7a60cqu.jpg

Nice signings there Johnhughthom no expense spared it seems!! I'm intrigued though I see you have Alexis as an inside forward attack, Ozil as Advanced playmaker support and giroud as a complete forward support. How consistently do they perform for you (goals/assists?) with these roles because I use them differently and other than giroud I cant seem to get the consistency I want from them!!!

Finished the season last night. We secured the title quite comfortably in the end with a point at Chelsea with two games to spare, and bagged a third straight FA Cup as a nice bonus as well.

Next season will be fun as I'll be attempting to juggle several young players. Here's how they look so far:

Calum Chambers - Didn't get to play him as often as I would have liked during the first season and being 21 now I'm not anticipating a huge leap in his attributes. As I'll be playing three at the back next season, he'll definitely get more minutes and should develop into a good centre back.

Hector Bellerin - Was every bit as good as I thought he would be. I'm happy where his technical attributes are and don't expect them to change much, if at all, now (and with that pace, he doesn't need high numbers there anyway). Focus is now on mental attributes. Debuchy's tutoring has given him a substantial increase in Determination, and I'll be placing emphasis on Anticipation, Composure and Decisions.

Krystian Bielik - Of all the good young players I have, he's developed the most. He looks like he'll become a more than decent centre back, and I intend to use him as backup for that position next season.

Isamel Bennacer - Has the makings of a decent deep-lying playmaker, although I am concerned by his woefully low Work Rate, which isn't good for a midfielder. His low Flair means playing him as a 10 isn't an option, either. Having him tutored by Arteta has changed his personality to Fairly Professional, though, which is a plus.

Gedion Zelalem - Sadly, it doesn't look like he has enough spare PA for his attributes to really develop, otherwise he could have become a fine creative midfielder. Nonetheless, I'll get him tutored by Arteta and see where his attributes go.

Vlad Dragomir - For a player his age, his mental and physical attributes are very good. His technicals need a fair bit of work but I have plenty of time and PA to work with. He was successfully tutored by Cazorla and picked up some good PPMs to go with the two he already had. I'm excited about him and he'll be my "main" project for this save.

Dan Crowley - Crowley developed into a terrific player for me on FM15. He probably won't turn out as good this time, but he'll be a good player. Will have tutored by Cazorla.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles - Played plenty of games on loan at Ipswich. My aim with him now is to retrain him as a RWB to eventually replace Debuchy and generally be a useful, versatile member of the squad.

Jeff Reine-Adelaide - Jeff played a good 15 games for the first team before I loaned him out to Lille for the remainder of the season, where he played regularly. As I'll be playing 3-4-1-2, I won't be able to fit him in straight away, so he'll go on loan again for the season.

Alex Iwobi - Don't think he has a future with Arsenal, but do think I can bump up a few more of this attributes and increase his value a bit more.

Chuba Akpom - As with Iwobi, I'm not sure about Akpom's future. A loan is likely. After that, we'll see.

Donyell Malen - My other "project", along with Dragomir. Clearly needs work and patience but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with him.

Yassin Fortune - It's unfortunate his PA isn't higher because he looks like he could become a wrecking ball of a player.

Nice signings there Johnhughthom no expense spared it seems!! I'm intrigued though I see you have Alexis as an inside forward attack, Ozil as Advanced playmaker support and giroud as a complete forward support. How consistently do they perform for you (goals/assists?) with these roles because I use them differently and other than giroud I cant seem to get the consistency I want from them!!!

Giroud has averaged a goal a game for two seasons, I'd say that is pretty consistent. A lot of headers, mostly from crosses from the right flank.

Ozil is mostly good, but definitely has the odd stinker and goes missing from games. I will probably give Gotze a good run of games there to see how he compares.

Alexis plays pretty much how you would expect in an offensive sense. Scores a few worldies, also has games where he misses chance after chance. He doesn't't do much tracking back or closing down, probably because of his attack duty, but seeing him standing picking his bum when the ball is passed to a full back five yards away does make you wonder about how well the engine handles certain role/player combinations.

Giroud has averaged a goal a game for two seasons, pretty consistent I'd say that is pretty consistent. A lot of headers, mostly from crosses from the right flank.

Ozil is mostly good, but definitely has the odd stinker and goes missing from games. I will probably give Gotze a good run of games there to see how he compares.

Alexis plays pretty much how you would expect in an offensive sense. Scores a few worldies, also has games where he misses chance after chance. He doesn't't do much tracking back or closing down, probably because of his attack duty, but seeing him standing picking his bum when the ball is passed to a full back five yards away does make you wonder about how well the engine handles certain role/player combinations.

Hahahaha fair enough. In my game I play Alexis as an Inside Support which apparently is his natural/strongest role (according to my coaches) and he tracks back and closes down alot but I almost feel it takes away from his goal threat and tires him out which makes him less clinical whereas you're most probably getting more from him offensively than I am which is what you want from him I guess.

And in regards to Ozil do you have him closing down high up the pitch or do you allow him to do what he wants?

Did you give Ben Sheaf any game time JEinchy? I'm guessing a lot of his attributes, and maybe PA are variable, but he had a good attribute spread so I gave him some cup games. He scored a couple of long range crackers. After a League One loan spell season two, my staff now rate him at three star PA start of third season.

And in regards to Ozil do you have him closing down high up the pitch or do you allow him to do what he wants?

Originally had him closing down more often, as per team instructions, changed it to less closing down early in first season and saw immediate improvement.

Unfortunately I couldn't give a debut to Sheaf as I was focusing on Bielik, Bennacer and Dragovic.

I think this is the best set of youth players we've had on an FM, probably since FM09 when we had Wilshere, Ramsey, Barazite, Vela, Bendtner, Coquelin, Walcott etc. Beyond the guys I've talked about you've got Pleguezuelo, Sheaf, Mavididi, Agyei-Tabi and Hinds as well, who have decent starting attributes.

Unfortunately I couldn't give a debut to Sheaf as I was focusing on Bielik, Bennacer and Dragovic.

I think this is the best set of youth players we've had on an FM, probably since FM09 when we had Wilshere, Ramsey, Barazite, Vela, Bendtner, Coquelin, Walcott etc. Beyond the guys I've talked about you've got Pleguezuelo, Sheaf, Mavididi, Agyei-Tabi and Hinds as well, who have decent starting attributes.

The only problem I have with our youth is that while they're alright, they haven't really got the potential to be challenging for first team places in a team like Arsenal. I don't think they should be rated any higher, but it would be nice to be able to develop a team of youth (I guess "class of 92" style) and have them all as first team regulars.

Just started with Arsenal and see that winning the Premier League is the minimum expectation. Is this the same for everyone else?

Seems to be for the release database. In my save, with original beta database, they were happy with Champions League qualification. Third season, two titles and two Champion's League wins late, they are still happy with that.

Finished the season last night. We secured the title quite comfortably in the end with a point at Chelsea with two games to spare, and bagged a third straight FA Cup as a nice bonus as well.

Next season will be fun as I'll be attempting to juggle several young players. Here's how they look so far:

Nice to see some focus on the youth players! Lost Cazorla and Ozil to medium term injuries at the begining of the first season and JFA will be getting some minutes in the number 10 positon.

Had a very difficult start to the season, struggling to keep clean sheets and score. The 4-2-3-1 with Ramsey (DLPd) and Coquelin (CM/d) has not been giving the center backs enough protection. Trying not to tinker so much with the tactic, as it ruins the teams chemistry for the tactics. I still think a balanced tactic, with full squad competency is more vital to actual detail when it comes to success on the pitch.

Seems to be for the release database. In my save, with original beta database, they were happy with Champions League qualification. Third season, two titles and two Champion's League wins late, they are still happy with that.

probably the nerf to Chelsea based on their recent form

looked at the editor (of course on the release copy) and there's 200 rep difference between ManUtd/Chelsea (joint top British-based teams) and Arsenal (who sit 4th)

which influences the board expectations for other clubs

22.5 mil per year, which is as much as Alexis Sanchez who wanted an improved contract.

Things keep getting crazier. Since Kroenke has stepped down, the money just keeps coming. I was struggling for about 5 matches and the new chairman stepped in and asked if I wanted more transferfunds. I now have a whopping 250 mil euros availables for transfers. I checked my scouting and set it to "remove unrealistic transfers" and even Messi seems available. The money is totally nuts. I refuse to spend it all on stars though. I prefer scouting for young talent and make them into stars, that's my favorite part of the game. Last fm though I also bought Neymar, who is just an insane player. but grrrrr this game: after 8 games he got an injury for 5 months. A snapped achilles tendon. My injury list: Sanchez/Ozil/Bellerin/Neymar and Walcott. Try to cope with that! I still have to find a good setup for my striker though. For some bizarre reason, they keep missing chances. Morata and Berardi both.

that sucks a bit. your team is looking good thoug with morata and berardi, so many options, unlucky with the injuries.

I'm on a roll now. With Sanchez back, I could use Berardi as a AMR-inside forward again and things are looking awesome. I can finally say that my team is playing extremely well. 4-5 CCC per match. And Morata is banging in goals again. I changed two TI's: removed exploit flanks and instructed them to play a bit wider. This has created more opportunities for my attacking players. I'll post pics of my tactic later on today, when I'm home.

Two things though: Berardi is awesome as inside forward on the right, and full backs are just extremely good. Both Bellering and Jorge.

My first choice team;

Cech

Bellerin(fb-a) Stones Bosscielny Jorge(fb-a)

Neves (anchorman)

Ramsey (dlp-s) Ozil (AP-A)

Sanchez (IF-a) Neymar (IF-a)

Morata (CF-s)

Calum Chambers - Didn't get to play him as often as I would have liked during the first season and being 21 now I'm not anticipating a huge leap in his attributes.

He has 3/4/5 years of solid development left. FM16 isn't like previous years when you could expect your wonderkids to peak as soon as they're out of their teens.

I am thinking of selling jack and getting Pogba in (provided he comes) I play a 4-2-3-1

I would like to pair Pogba and Rambo and the first choice central two, could they work as a pair? has anyone tried them and if so what roles could be best suited to make sure they work defensively.

Right no I use Coq as ball winning CM and Ramsey as DLP

I bought Pogba, but I wouldn't want to use him in a defensive role, which you would need to if pairing him with Ramsey. I play him as a B2B with Coq as a BWM (d) CM, and he doesn't quite play as I'd have hoped, he kind of ambles about and doesn't really seem to dominate physically like I expected. He does perform better in the role than Ramsey did, and I haven't wanted to change a winning formula, so I've left him as is.

I gave him Get Forward More Often, Run With the Ball More Often and Shoot Less Often as his PIs. The shoot less often one would be a matter of preference, I'm sure he'd score a few more each season without it, but he hit a silly number of shots each match without it, quite often when there was a much better option, and with his Tries Long Range Shots PPM he'll still try a few each game.

edit:Oh, I paid £60m up front, £5m in clauses and swapped Debuchy for him (use Jenks as back up to Bellerin).

I am looking for a super star signing, that has been my target in the game, promote youth with one big signing a summer..only area I can add to without getting in the way of promoting Adelede, Iwobi and couple of young CB I got is through getting a big name to play the defensive role in CM ..dont want to go big on anyone over 27 either lol

Archived