Sports Interactive Community
FMFanatic2016

FM16: Arsenal FC - Why Fly When You Can Walk on Water

I play Ozil as a trequartista. After 12 games we are top of the league (unbeaten) with a goal difference of 28. Ozil has played fourteen games with 6 goals, 4 assists, and 3 player of the match awards. His average rating is 7.46 and that includes one poor game (in the league cup). I think you can afford to play him as a treq. as you have Sanchez and the Ox either side of him and Ramsey and the Coq. behind him - so plenty of hard workers there to compensate.

Well done on the league title, Sean3h. Extra sweet to do it at Chelsea's expense, too. Such a shame they aren't as bad on FM as they are in real life right now.

Thanks! It would have been so much easier if Sanchez was fit for the 2nd half of the season. For me, he did exactly the opposite of what he seems to be doing in your save. He is (or was) consistently taking it around 2 or 3 players, cutting in from the left and smashing it into the top corner.

struggling to find a role for my lone striker in my 4231 system, always played an advanced forward in FM15. is this because Giroud isn't really suited to an advanced forward?

Support.

Make sure you've got people getting crosses in for him. This is probably the most cross friendly match engine since collision detection came in.

Could I ask what formation are people using when playing away from home or in tough games. Is the 4231 deep a good formation for counter attack strategy.

I've had some good results with a 4-1-2-3, including a 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp. Back four with le Coq in front as a DM, Wilshere B2B, Ramsey AP (A), Ox AMR, Cazorla AML, Giroud CF. Wasn't a lucky draw either, probably should have won. I sometimes drop into it to hold a lead late on and I usually find myself getting another goal on the break.

I favour a 4-4-1-1 away from home in tougher games. Standard mentality, both centre mids on defend duty (one CMd and one DLPd), both wide players set as Wide Midfielders on attack duty, a standard ACM and a Complete or Advanced Forward, depending on who's playing there. I usually drop the defensive line deeper as well.

4-2-3-1 deep is a very similar shape, but you have to be careful with the wide roles. AMR/L/Cs with attack duty won't track back as much, which is why I drop them back into MR/L.

I haven't tried it out yet, but given how every top team in the PL play 4-2-3-1, I think a 4-1-4-1 could be a good shape for those games.

At the end of January now, approaching the business end of the season.

Results%20Dec%20Jan%20201516_zpstgmikbkv.png

The results are okay, but the performances have steadily declined over that period, all culminating in a horror show of a first half against Everton - where Lukaku scored twice, one of them a total fluke when Cech booted the ball straight into his face, Ozil missed a penalty and Alexis got injured - that we couldn't recover from. What was an excellent defensive record has taken some damage, with only two clean sheets in 10 games. We threw away a 2-0 lead against Swansea, getting caught on the counter twice after dominating the whole game, then days after conceded a 1-0 lead at home to a struggling Bournemouth side. The 3-2 at Wafrod required us to come from 2-1 behind and needed a last minute penalty, then we had to come from behind to beat United at home, and even lowly Bury managed to equalise against us in the FA Cup. At the moment, I can't seem to stop the leaking of goals.

League%20Table%20Jan%202016_zpsrae8tvxn.png

So that first defeat in 23 league games has now given Chelsea a chance to level up the points total. They've recovered very well from the 3-0 at the Emirates, though truthfully even with our unbeaten record we haven't quite been able to shake them off. Everton, I suppose, have an outside chance of competing for the title too after their win against us. We still have to play City and Spurs at home, and travel to Chelsea and Liverpool, so the title race should be interesting.

Not much to report on player wise. Wilshere is now back from injury and giving me selection headaches, as Welbeck will also do when he returns. Long term, I'm thinking a 3-4-1-2 may be the way to go to fit all these players in, but that depends if I can successfully implement it against the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

I'm leaking goals as well in my second season, especially away from home. I'm still trying out little changes here and there.

@Yorkie: I have found out that some players do a better job now as complete forward. Last year advanced forwards were awesome. Now they seem a little weaker.

Tempted to take the plunge again this year and have the usual Arsenal saves. Although with the strength of the squad this year, I feel the need to keep the save fresh.

What year does Arsene retire on this? Toying with the idea and holidaying until then, then taking over after a year or two of AI management. Just feel that winning the title first season will be the easiest with this Arsenal squad in this save for quite a few iterations.

Bellerin has been one of my best players in the team, he was voted 2nd as fans favorites. The improved Match Engine really brings the best on speedy players.

So board expectations are to win the premier league, reach the finals for FA cup, and quarter finals of the champions cup... Good luck to me :(

Had a little crack last night while I was waiting for the Editor to be released. After smashing Chelsea 4-1 I was optimistic, but couldn't manage an away win after that.

My main signings were Tiemoue Bakayoko and Nacho (Madrid CB), ad then just went for young players for the academy.

Will come back to Arsenal at some point, but knowing that you lot were all flying, it frustrated me when we lost 4-1 away to Liverpool and I quit :D

Alright dudes, I played around with 3 saves on the Beta with my beloved & sold Theo every time for about £30M. Was wondering if anyone else did the same?

IRL I really like him but he's just crazily injury prone. That £30M can be spent on better options maybe..

I've just started a new save on the full release & unsure about whether to get rid again.

He has been very very good for me. I was like you, always selling him asap. But this time he's an important player for me.

I'm a wally, within about 2 mins of posting I transfer listed him. Along with Debuchy & Ospina.

Does debuchy keep complaining like a Lil bitch in the full release when he doesn't get games

haha yes he is. So does Monreal! Monreal is getting 25 games a season but he is still complaining with "not enough games". I think is an error I should report.

At the end of January now, approaching the business end of the season.

The results are okay, but the performances have steadily declined over that period, all culminating in a horror show of a first half against Everton - where Lukaku scored twice, one of them a total fluke when Cech booted the ball straight into his face, Ozil missed a penalty and Alexis got injured - that we couldn't recover from. What was an excellent defensive record has taken some damage, with only two clean sheets in 10 games. We threw away a 2-0 lead against Swansea, getting caught on the counter twice after dominating the whole game, then days after conceded a 1-0 lead at home to a struggling Bournemouth side. The 3-2 at Wafrod required us to come from 2-1 behind and needed a last minute penalty, then we had to come from behind to beat United at home, and even lowly Bury managed to equalise against us in the FA Cup. At the moment, I can't seem to stop the leaking of goals.

So that first defeat in 23 league games has now given Chelsea a chance to level up the points total. They've recovered very well from the 3-0 at the Emirates, though truthfully even with our unbeaten record we haven't quite been able to shake them off. Everton, I suppose, have an outside chance of competing for the title too after their win against us. We still have to play City and Spurs at home, and travel to Chelsea and Liverpool, so the title race should be interesting.

Not much to report on player wise. Wilshere is now back from injury and giving me selection headaches, as Welbeck will also do when he returns. Long term, I'm thinking a 3-4-1-2 may be the way to go to fit all these players in, but that depends if I can successfully implement it against the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

Hello JEinchy, do you mind me asking, what Team Instructions are you going for? I've been looking at using a 4-4-1-1 also.

Gonna get in on the Arsenal thread a bit earlier this year. FM15 gave me a lot of hours and one of my most memorable saves, taken arsenal through to around 2028 with a complete squad of newgens.

Used the beta to scout out players and values from last years save and names I've seen on threads. Also to check out the match engine and try come up with a system. Wanting to get going on a file but I always like to be committed to the system I'm gonna use before I do - what's been proving successful for everyone? I've found pressing and keeping possession works well as long as you don't push too far up, I'm mostly indecisive about the shape.

Oh and I use FMC/FMT.

Anyone else here attempt to set up their arsenal the same as in real life. Always like to start this way. Just a little confused over what Ramsey's wide right role would be. Currently have him as an Advanced Playmaker (Attack), but considering the Raumdeuter, although this seems to limit what he can actually do on the ball. Considering he is very competent with the ball, I'm reluctant to give him this. However, his attacking play in real life he attacks the right hand side post seemingly by playing close to the touchline, then cutting in to receive through balls from Sanchez, Ozil or Cazorla. Just wondering how to replicate this?

Hello JEinchy, do you mind me asking, what Team Instructions are you going for? I've been looking at using a 4-4-1-1 also.

At the moment: Push Higher Up, Close Down More, Shorter Passing, Retain Possession, Play Out Of Defence. If I need to see a game out or want to go a bit more defensive, then I take off Close Down More and Push Higher Up, and add Slower Tempo.

Gonna get in on the Arsenal thread a bit earlier this year. FM15 gave me a lot of hours and one of my most memorable saves, taken arsenal through to around 2028 with a complete squad of newgens.

Used the beta to scout out players and values from last years save and names I've seen on threads. Also to check out the match engine and try come up with a system. Wanting to get going on a file but I always like to be committed to the system I'm gonna use before I do - what's been proving successful for everyone? I've found pressing and keeping possession works well as long as you don't push too far up, I'm mostly indecisive about the shape.

Oh and I use FMC/FMT.

Pressing and keeping possession works well again on FM16 (I use the same approach). Shape-wise, 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 seem to be good, balanced systems. 4-2-3-1 is good as well so long as you strike a right balance; I've seen a lot of people struggle using it because they set their teams up to be too attacking and open.

Anyone else here attempt to set up their arsenal the same as in real life. Always like to start this way. Just a little confused over what Ramsey's wide right role would be. Currently have him as an Advanced Playmaker (Attack), but considering the Raumdeuter, although this seems to limit what he can actually do on the ball. Considering he is very competent with the ball, I'm reluctant to give him this. However, his attacking play in real life he attacks the right hand side post seemingly by playing close to the touchline, then cutting in to receive through balls from Sanchez, Ozil or Cazorla. Just wondering how to replicate this?

Inside Forward would probably best replicate that out-to-in movement towards the backpost without detaching him from the play, like the Raumdeuter role would. You could try using Get Further Forward, if you can, as they might encourage him to make more runs as an Advanced Playmaker as well as get on the ball.

Pressing and keeping possession works well again on FM16 (I use the same approach). Shape-wise, 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 seem to be good, balanced systems. 4-2-3-1 is good as well so long as you strike a right balance; I've seen a lot of people struggle using it because they set their teams up to be too attacking and open.

4-2-3-1 is something I've had trouble with the last couple of years. I implemented it successfully about 7 or 8 seasons into the long term FM15 file I mentioned I had, but at a point where my team of newgens was at a far superior level. I'm aiming towards 4-3-3, I do love the shape and the cover, and if I feel bad about not using Ozil as a no.10 I just remember that he also has outstanding stats for an IF. Just need to do some role tweaking and then get cracking.

Just started a test save until the licence fix mod comes available, Austin seems to be pretty good back up, managed to get him for a mil upfront and 8.5 over 24 months, back up status and 34k a week...scored on opening day as Giroud only fit enough to be a sub

Started my save and signed, Lukaku, Bender, Bartra, Dermarai Gray and Ajar. Lukaku is really struggling to find his feet as a TM support so I'm now going to start Giroud in his place. Bender has been struggling too, so was going to start Coquelin but he has just picked up an injury for the next 3 weeks. Most of my players have been quietly efficient but Sanchez has been poor. Play him as a IF

Anyone else playing as Arsenal (with transfer window off at the start preferably) and been given a budget like this?

Inbox_Inbox.jpg

Finances.jpg

Anyone else playing as Arsenal (with transfer window off at the start preferably) and been given a budget like this?

I'd just come on to post something like this! I'm in the 2nd season and my board set up a meeting with me to ask whether increasing the transfer budget would be beneficial. I of course said yes, and I've now got a budget of £124m. I've already spent £60m this season!

I'd just come on to post something like this! I'm in the 2nd season and my board set up a meeting with me to ask whether increasing the transfer budget would be beneficial. I of course said yes, and I've now got a budget of £124m. I've already spent £60m this season!

I guess its not impossible due to the finances we have but unrealistic as it would just never happen! Especially December of the first season.

I didn't get any message about an increased transfer budget in the first season (with first window budgets removed), but I was able to drop excess wage budget to give me £20m in transfer funds. Got around £120m transfer money in second season.

Original beta database game, so things may have changed.

I let his contract run out. Have won the first two seasons, but no luck in the champions league so far. Lost final to Barcelona in the first year and semi final to Real Madrid in the second.

After having my budget massively increased, I've agreed to sign Juan Mata for £36m from Man Utd. It's not a necessary signing, but the thought of Alexis-Ozil-Mata was too good to turn down given his stats. I now need to find myself a striker - my strikers stats are currently:

Giroud: 11(1) games - 6 goals (most of the goals were in the first few games of the season, hasn't scored for quite some time)

Vietto: 3(5) games - 2 goals

Gabriel Barbosa: 10(3) games - 3 goals

Welbeck: 3(1) games - 0 goals

Embolo - 0(7) games - 2 goals

I'm rotating them quite a lot in the hope that one of them will start scoring, which is probably the opposite of what I should be doing. Either way - Vietto certainly hasn't started how I'd hoped he would have done judging by previous games as him. Any thoughts on who I should bring in? Dybala, Berardi, Tevez are all unavailable as they've recently had big moves.

I was just knocked out of the Champions League last 16 by Wolfsburg. Score was 1-1 on agg going into the second leg at home. We dominated the game, made plenty of good chances, but for whatever reason Giroud couldn't score a header six yards out and Alexis couldn't score if his life depended on it. Then they scored the winner in 89th minute when their player was a good few yards offside. :mad:

I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't got Alexis banging in the goals. He gets into the positions all the time but for some inexplicable reason doesn't score.

Inside Forward (Attack) on the left hand side of a 4-2-3-1. He gets plenty of supply. He has this annoying habit of trying to blast every shot he has (probably due to his high aggression). Maybe I should try and teach him the Places Shots PPM.

Maybe you can go to player assignments in your tactics screen and set his personal assignment to "shoot less often". That's what I do at least.

not sure if anyone has experienced this on there save. i spent all my budget before january. then got given 120 mil australian in february. spent that lol, then got given 170 mill australian in april. i havnt sold anyone of note either to get the money. happy with the money just thought it was a little weird.

I had this as well. Kroenke has stepped down and some other businessman has taken over for me. I think the tv deal also has something to do with that. My club is the richest in the world all of a sudden, worth a whoopin 2.5 bil euros. By adjusting the wage budget I had a transferkitty of 235 mil. I have bought Neymar with that money. So now my attack is Neymar-Berardi-Sanchez. Scary to say the least. Now if only Berardi would find the net again. 27 goals last season, can't find the net in this one. grrr!

Results of late have been a bit mixed:

Results%20Jan%20Feb%20March%202016_zpsmkqtr9lp.png

The infamous Champions League elimination to Wolfsburg aside, we've given our rivals in the league a sniff after some carelessly dropped points. The home defeat to Southampton was completely out of the blue, as yet again we squandered chances, while Southampton managed two shots in the first half and scored both of them. Both league defeats suffered this season have come at the Emirates, for whatever reason.

Our last three away games in the league, against mid-table opposition, have all ended in draws as, again, we struggle to convert our chances. Every game now my assistant keeps telling me "we're having plenty of the ball but our finishing is letting us down", which, really, isn't very useful because a) I can bloody see that and b) he's not giving me any advice about how to improve that situation.

Anyway, league table is as follows:

League%20Table%20April%202016_zpszvsoxqu4.png

Spurs have emerged as our main threat and can close the gap to two points if they win their game at hand. We still have to play them at the Emirates, so that could potentially be very decisive. We go to Anfield next, and still have to travel to Stamford Bridge, too, so what looked like an easy title win back in December is now looking a whole lot more difficult. But hey, at least we haven't got any Champions League games to worry about...

Currently playing as Arsenal in January transfer window of 1st season. Have had bids accepted and agreed terms for both Bernardo Silva & Marco Reus, but only want to sign one and not sure which to go for! Any suggestions?

Reus transfer is approx £67m inc. signing on fees etc., and Bernardo Silva is only £21.5m.

Reus better player at present but Silva potential to surpass Reus and £40m cheaper!!