Sports Interactive Community
FMFanatic2016

FM16: Arsenal FC - Why Fly When You Can Walk on Water

Thanks now I understand a little more about the two set ups and how they differ. So you do not use tighter marking with Arsenal but change to higher tempo and increase width using TIs I just have a question about when you mentioned using Giroud as DLF (S) instead of Ozil. When Grroud gets moved to striker position you then have a CFS and DLF (S) how does this work. I always thought that a DLF (S) should babe paired with a CF (A) AF (A) or Poacher.

He said further up to the same question that he would use an advanced forward mate.

Thanks now I understand a little more about the two set ups and how they differ. So you do not use tighter marking with Arsenal but change to higher tempo and increase width using TIs I just have a question about when you mentioned using Giroud as DLF (S) instead of Ozil. When Grroud gets moved to striker position you then have a CFS and DLF (S) how does this work. I always thought that a DLF (S) should babe paired with a CF (A) AF (A) or Poacher.

See post #791 in this thread - briefly explains the attack.

No - I do not increase tempo with team instructions. Attacking mentality naturally has higher tempo and width. At the moment, I am only using Team Instructions: play from defence, pass into space and low crosses.

Very simple.

There's 6 team instructions in the pic above mate. Unless that's a different tactic now.

Carvalho also slipped in, reasonably under the radar meaning my team now looks like this:

yeJQqye.png

Coquelin is going to be an interesting point. I really like the guy but wanted someone more physical holding the midfield. I am also seeing problems with balance playing Bellerin and Jorge at the same time so I am going to be rotating Coquelin with Bellerin on the right. Between the two of them I have exciting options at right back.

Martial is a great signing. I was just looking through your tactics and thinking "Actually, that's pretty similar to the Invincibles now that I think about it... huh, he's given Coquelin #12, like Lauren... Zouma 23 like Campbell..." and then I realised you've mirrored all the numbers as well as the roles :D

Martial is a great signing. I was just looking through your tactics and thinking "Actually, that's pretty similar to the Invincibles now that I think about it... huh, he's given Coquelin #12, like Lauren... Zouma 23 like Campbell..." and then I realised you've mirrored all the numbers as well as the roles :D

That is exactly what I thought too. Pogba playing the Viera role and William playing Giberto Silva role. Cazorla is even playing Pires role. Ozil seems to be playing the Bergkamp role which. I don't think Bergkamp was a Advance Playmaker or maybe I am wrong. Bergkamp had more goals in him than Ozil.

I do think Ozil PPM restrict his goal scoring a little. Ozil has looks for pass rather than shoot PPM and that contributes a little to the lack of goals from Ozil

That is exactly what I thought too. Pogba playing the Viera role and William playing Giberto Silva role. Cazorla is even playing Pires role. Ozil seems to be playing the Bergkamp role which. I don't think Bergkamp was a Advance Playmaker or maybe I am wrong. Bergkamp had more goals in him than Ozil.

I do think Ozil PPM restrict his goal scoring a little. Ozil has looks for pass rather than shoot PPM and that contributes a little to the lack of goals from Ozil

It does restrict his goal scoring stats but with that vision and passing, the pass rather than shoot PPM is perfect for him.

I don't know what you're talking about. That is a total coincidence :D

Ozil seems to be playing the Bergkamp role which. I don't think Bergkamp was a Advance Playmaker or maybe I am wrong. Bergkamp had more goals in him than Ozil.

For me, I prefer my second striker playing "in the hole" or in Football Manager terms the Attacking Midfield spot.

You could use a Deep-Lying Forward but the issue is that with the attack responsibility you lose the link up play, and with the support responsibility to lose the goalscoring element. The other primary downside of the Deep-Lying Forward is that it influences how your other striker plays.. for example you may wish to play the other striker as an Advanced forward and then you lose some of the link up with the playmaker on the left.

With a player like Ozil, you'll probably want to use one of the playmaker roles -> Advanced Playmaker (Attack/Support), Trequartista or Enganche. People spend a lot of time thinking about this and debating the right role. The truth is that the difference is very minor.

Here's a comparison of the details of each role.

Trequartista

bGY66wo.png

Enganche

PLFUB0V.png

Advanced Playmaker (with PIs - hold up ball and get forward more)

MXvTiSm.png

Key points on the Trequartista

• Attacking Mentality - the same as the Enganche or Advanced Playmaker
  • Horizontal movement from side to side - moves into channels and roams.
  • Runs with the ball
  • Limited vertical movement - get forward more is disabled
  • Lazy defensively - closes down and tackles rarely

My verdict: To me, this role is made for the head of the 4-4-2 diamond - this role would add width to a narrow formation and with two strikers ahead I don't need so much forward movement. Also, with the strikers ahead and midfield behind the lack of pressing is less of an issue. With one striker and good width, I prefer different roles.

Key points on the Enganche

• Attacking Mentality - as with Trequartista or Advanced Playmaker
  • More static than Trequartista or Advanced Playmaker - Roaming and moving into channels is disabled.
  • Basically sits in the hole spraying passes forward
  • Can offer vertical movement through the get forward more PI
  • Closes down less but still respectable
  • Running with the ball is disabled
  • Hold up ball is disabled - less involved in the build up.

My verdict: This could work in a 4-4-1-1. I'd certainly add get forward more to create vertical movement. My issue is what if the opposition play 1-2 players in the DM strata? This player won't move wide so is easily taken out of the game. I also don't like the lack of dribbling as AMs tend to be very skillful players.

Key points on the Advanced Playmaker

• Again, Attacking mentality - same across the board
  • Off the ball - still presses with the rest of the team
  • Most flexible for movement - you can roam, move into channels or move forward.
  • Runs with the ball
  • Option to hold up ball

My verdict: this is my preferred playmaker option as I can customize the movement for the needs of my formation, run with the ball and keeps up with the defensive work. I typically instruct hold up ball, to create a 5-man midfield in the build up and get forward more as a 2nd striker in attack. If I the opposition fields 1-2 good players in the DM strata then I'll instruct movement into channels and roaming, but most of the time I want this guy playing centrally.

When you're considering a Player Role, I strongly advise going into the Player Instruction screen and seeing what the actual difference is rather than relying on the description.

One of the things I feel that is missing from the current Arsenal team is the intensity we had in Wenger's earlier teams.

Two seasons in and we're now a tough, physical, determined team with leadership throughout the side. Here's the mind-set going into a key league match with 2nd place Spurs.

9hFISCv.png

Aggressive, composed, motivated and confident. Spurs kicked off and couldn't even get the ball out of the centre circle without being rushed by Carvalho, Pogba & Co.

kdpIIlK.png

This puts us firmly in the driving seat.

Looks like Martial is doing the business for you!

I know he is playing as a CF-s but in terms of how he plays it, is he poacher-like as in the way you'd expect Walcott to play the role or does he offer an all round game linking the play and getting involved in the build up?

Just finished the first transfer window, shall post an update soon.

Martial is absolutely on fire. Messi / Ronaldo -esq goalscoring record. It's oddly mixed emotions. I am happy that's he's doing well for my team but at the same time FM is a realistic game and if he does this in real life, things are not going to be fun for Arsenal! :D Maybe he's another Tonton Zola Moukoko..

In general, I find he gets involved really well. Really good movement. Lots of one-twos. He has a respectable number of assists but his real strength is that he's absolutely rapid and gets on the end of a lot of moves.

Nightmare for defenders.

Martial is absolutely on fire. Messi / Ronaldo -esq goalscoring record. It's oddly mixed emotions. I am happy that's he's doing well for my team but at the same time FM is a realistic game and if he does this in real life, things are not going to be fun for Arsenal! :D Maybe he's another Tonton Zola Moukoko..

In general, I find he gets involved really well. Really good movement. Lots of one-twos. He has a respectable number of assists but his real strength is that he's absolutely rapid and gets on the end of a lot of moves.

Nightmare for defenders.

Ozil What are your TIs at the moment? I am trying to replicate a similar system but switching between medium and higher blocks depending on the opposition.

Tough result - we're out of the Champions League after a tough first round knock out tie with Juventus. Sloppy in the first leg. Came as close as to have a goal disallowed in the 92nd minute which would have sent us through.

Juventus managing to score without taking a shot sums it up really :(

2UzBPPZ.png

We're walking the league though.

Partly inspired by Ö-zil to the Arsenal and the recent discussion, plus the signing of Granit Xhaka, I decided to start my final FM16 game with an up to date database (including transfers/ability adjustments at all big clubs/new youth players etc), trying to combine my old successful tactic (based on the FA Cup final last year) with some of the ideas from Ozil's, with a nod to the 1997/98 double winners (inspired by Xhaka reminding me of Manu Petit).

This was specifically designed to make the most of the current squad, maximising the strengths of those who aren't as effective as they could be in most tactics. Obviously making Ozil central is an aim, but I always struggled to get my left backs, Wilshere, Ramsey or Cazorla playing deeper to really excel, sacrificed for the sake of Sanchez, Bellerin and my striker. So how could I improve the underwhelming players without negatively impacting the rest?

So I came up with:

OPqeaoY.png

Tactical gurus would notice that this may have too many playmakers in midfield. But I wanted to allow a squad full of playmakers to maximise its skill base. So I had to work out how to allow for multiple playmakers while keeping them out of each others way.

Next on the agenda was how to play Ramsey slightly wider while making sure he actually made those late runs into the box which are the trademark in real life, but have been a nightmare to replicate in game. And keep him out of Bellerin's way, so the full-back can get as much space as possible.

The third priority was (as identified by both Wenger in real life and Ozil in this thread) to avoid the centre-forward beig isolated against 2 or more central defenders. More space allows for less physical players to be effective at retaining possession up front, whilst isolating defenders, particularly when combined with a left wing overload.

I also wanted to give Monreal/Gibbs more support, to allow them to attack effectively without being isolated. Bellerin loves space to charge into, Monreal loves people to interplay with.

It would be fair to say that it worked....

The season went pretty well:

3WtWHVM.png

And worked brilliantly for Rambo and Monreal

6vMYFCg.png

Without having any negative effect on Ozil's creative influence

56XN5WQ.png

Indeed, the whole squad exceeded expectations

IgnLmo1.png

BdfARgj.png

Arteta's one appearance and goal was the winner off the bench in the FA cup final! (and Rosicky was MOTM) - a slightly easier tie vs southampton allowed me to be sentimental!

The Champions league was a particular surprise - absolutely walked it:

Wwza2VK.png

With the final being both comprehensive and the best first half performance I've ever seen from any team I've had on FM/CM against a European giant - I wish i'd taken a HT screen shot, as Barca had 2 shots in the whole first half, and we had only 3 in the second. At h/t we were winning the possession battle 60/40. And Barca were at full strength, bar an unfit Iniesta having to come off early.

Hi3ioK7.png

I have absolutely no idea how to top that, bar trying to bring through my own golden generation of kids HG and from the academy, which I started to do with Iwobi, Maitland Niles and the imported Odegaard.

Only 1st team signings made were:

Stones (10m+28m over 48 months), Bartra 8.5m (release clause), Srna 775k (good tutor and still effective), Crouch 400k over 48months (good tutor), Samper (Jan 8.5m release clause), Odegaard (jan 9m release clause?!?) & Bendtner for 150k + never to be paid add ons in Jan (banished to the reserves after a few cup goals for acting up). Also a few kids on unprotected contracts - Clemenza, Emil Odegaard etc for peanuts, and Zivkovic who I immediately sent on loan for 250k a month plus wages, thus doubling his fee!

I regret making the 'end of season' signings I did now (facilitated by selling Ospina (9m), Debuchy (11m), Flamini (2m), a few kids like Emi Martinez and Wellington (about another 10m), and a few freebies picked up, loaned out and then sold, including Hegazi for a ridiculous 8m!). Also have Bartra on the way out for 26m. And 2 teams have bid in excess of 8.5m for Bendtner! But I tried to limit myself to players we've been linked with, and a number of them became transfer listed or had bids accepted by other teams which forced my hand. So apart from a smattering of kids, I have arriving....

Alaba (35m over 48months) - due to liking Arsenal and Bayern not having a brilliant first month, was remarkably easy to unsettle early on.

Benatia (6.75m over 48 months) - Listed by Bayern due to their poor start

Isco (5m+18m over 48 months) - For some reason they only played him about 6 times and then listed him. I got in there immediately to prevent a bidding war.

Morata (21m over 48 months) - Real activated their buy back clause, but I had been buttering him up for months, so hilariously Juve accepted my offer as well to spite Madrid, and by now he was desperate to come to London!

But then also I had the idea of wanting more English core, so:

Rashford (11m over 48 months) - One of the players upgraded by this update (as have quite a few utd kids, and Martial is a beast), and my scouts LOVE him, but Depay being decent meant he saw no game time at all.

Lingaard (5m over 48 months) - another boosted, but got no time due to the form of Depay and Valencia out wide. Might not be good enough, but at worst will make a profit.

Rob Holding (Bolton, linked in real life - 1.2m)

Jack Tymon (hull 600k).

Might splash out big on a couple more kids - Renato Sanches at Bayern looks brilliant, and I could do with 1 more CM in this formation as Maitland Niles not really ready, and Rosicky got a lot of games at the business end of the season.

So the next task is to blood as many kids as possible, slowly sell off non-top class overseas players and work out how to get a little more out of Alexis in this system....

Anyway – here is a link to the tactic should anyone want to try it:

https://www.mediafire.com/?xjvyaq10m720yv7

Hi berrysi,

When did you start playing Dragowski? I know he develops into a world class goalkeeper but as I see you are in 2018. Isn't it too early to play him regularly (I assume that he plays regularly for you since he is in the CL dream team)? Would like to see his profile.

Sorry for late reply, been off FM for while till today, here is screenshot;

260a6c15a959b71f4f1b2459b366d464.png

Played in 3 cup games in each of his first two seasons, plus one league game in 2nd, then played 34 games overall last term, simply outperformed the final season playing Cech, and is now first choice ahead of Rajkovic this campaign. Tis young but came down to simply him performing well, think Cech was injured for while and so he came in for month, then found it hard to not play him ahead of Cech, so had Cech play lesser league games whilst Drago got the bigger fixtures and among them were the CL ones. A must sign imo.

ARSENAL SEASON 3

SEASON 1

Premier League – WINNERS (93 Points)

Champions League - Runners Up - Lost 0-2 to Juventus

FA Cup - Runners Up - Lost 3-4 to Man United (after extra time)

League Cup - WINNERS - Beat Tottenham 1-0

Community Shield - WINNERS - Beat Chelsea 1-0

SEASON 2

Premier League – WINNERS (94 Points)

Champions League - WINNERS – Beat Barcelona 2-1

FA Cup - Runners Up – WINNERS – Beat Liverpool 2-1

League Cup - WINNERS - Beat Leicester 1-0

Community Shield – Runners Up – Lost 1-2 to Man United

SEASON 3 - PRE SEASON

TRANSFERS

With a 210 million warchest I had plenty of money to spend on big name signings. I targeted the big two but neither Messi or Ronaldo wanted to come. I assessed the youth squads but found I didn’t need to make too many changes. Jorge had already been brought in as left back. Mertesacker leaving meant I would have to sign a new centre back. Ramos wouldn’t come so went for Varane. Expensive but should provide much solidarity alongside Koscielny for a good number of years. I also needed a new defensive midfielder. It was between Neves and Carvalho. With United sniffing around Carvalho I went for him. I loaned back Asensio for another season. I also brought in Assamoui to add some more cover in the wing positions. Finally I had no plans to sell Rulli but 34 million for a player I got for free was too good to turn down. Bravo came in for a season or two and will act as cover, Lots of Regens also came in.

Other than Rulli the only major departure was Chamberlain. Barcelona offered 30 million and I was happy to accept. Also leaving were Debuchy, Iwobi and Toral.

[iN] (major)

Rafael Varane - 70m

William Carvalho - 40m

Jorge - 9.5million

Claudio Bravo – 2.3m

Marco Asensio - Loan

Izzmail Assamoui - Loan

Total - 139m

[OUT]

Rulli - 34.5m

Chamberlain – 30m

Debuchy – 7.5m

Iwobi – 2.5m

Toral – 1.7m

Total - 75m

[Elsewhere]

City lost De Bruyne. United lost Depay. Spurs lost Embolo.

Chelsea – Icardi Xhaka Wilson Cedric

Man Utd – Castillejo Berardi

Man City – Willems Alcacer

Tottenham – Barkley Coric

Liverpool – Babacar Digne Vitolo

[PRE-SEASON]

Our Pre-Season included a trip to the USA. Not sure what happened at Houston.

Fleetwood 0-3 Arsenal (O.g Giroud Romero

Houston 3-0 Arsenal

Vancouver 0-2 Arsenal (Morata Pereira)

LA Galaxy 0-4 Arsenal (Giroud 3 Bale)

Preston 1-4 Arsenal (Morata 2 Sanchez Bale)

Emirates Cup

France, Holland and Argentina were represented in Emirates Cup. Monaco the other side. Ajax deservedly winning the final.

SF - Arsenal 3-0 Boca Juniors – Barbosa Morata Jorge

Final - Arsenal 1-3 Ajax - Giroud

SQUAD

Squad for third Season. Koscielny new captain, Ramsey promoted to vc. Wilshere, Pereira and Welbeck in Under 21’s.

GK - Cech - Bravo

DL – Jorge - Gibbs

DR - Bellerin – Chambers

DC - Koscielny - Sule

DC - Varane - Mammana

MC - Toure – Ramsey

MC – Carvalho - Tielemans

ML - Bale – Zivkovic - Azzaoui

MR - Sanchez - Barbosa

AMC - Ozil – Assensio - Cazorla

SC - Morata - Giroud

COMMUNITY SHIELD

ARSENAL 1

Sanchez 68

CHELSEA 2

Icardi 11 Terry 18

Despite dominating the game we fell behind to two early goals and couldn’t recover.

PREMIER LEAGUE

IPSWICH 1

Skuse 73

ARSENAL 2

Ozil 1 Bale 14

We scored just 27 seconds into the new season. Ipswich played well and probably deserved a draw.

EUROPEAN SUPER CUP

VALENCIA 0

ARSENAL 1

Mustafi o.g 29

We added the super cup to our ever expanding trophy cabinet. A very solid defensive display.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ARSENAL 5

Morata 43 51 88 Bale 53 58

MAN UNITED 0

Morata made a poor start to the season with three low key performances but sprang into life as we hit United for five.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ASTON VILLA 1

Benteke 45(+1)

ARSENAL 3

Ramsey 33 Morata 34 50

Dominant. Zivkovic earning man of the match on his first start.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ARSENAL 3

Morata 21 57 59

QPR 0

Morata masterclass.

League Table

1. ARSENAL P4 P12

2. Tottenham P4 P8

3. Chelsea P4 P7

4. Newcastle P4 P7

5. Southampton P4 P7

[Other News]

League Cup 3rd Round Draw – West Brom vs ARSENAL

Champions League Group Stages – ARSENAL Barcelona Galatasaray Kobenhavn

Eeek. First game is Barcelona at home

Morata and Bale were 1-2 in player of the month. Dele Alli won young player with Jorge second. I won the manager award. Bellerin and myself make it an arsenal hat-trick in the monthly awards.

[september fixtures]

League – Watford(H) Bournemouth (A) Swansea (A)

Champions League - Barcelona (H) Kobenhavn (A)

League Cup – West Brom (A)

FM16 ARSENAL SEASON 3

SEASON 1

Premier League – WINNERS (93 Points)

Champions League - Runners Up - Lost 0-2 to Juventus

FA Cup - Runners Up - Lost 3-4 to Man United (after extra time)

League Cup - WINNERS - Beat Tottenham 1-0

Community Shield - WINNERS - Beat Chelsea 1-0

SEASON 2

Premier League – WINNERS (94 Points)

Champions League - WINNERS – Beat Barcelona 2-1

FA Cup - Runners Up – WINNERS – Beat Liverpool 2-1

League Cup - WINNERS - Beat Leicester 1-0

Community Shield – Runners Up – Lost 1-2 to Man United

SEASON 3 - PRE SEASON

TRANSFERS

With a 210 million warchest I had plenty of money to spend on big name signings. I targeted the big two but neither Messi or Ronaldo wanted to come. I assessed the youth squads but found I didn’t need to make too many changes. Jorge had already been brought in as left back. Mertesacker leaving meant I would have to sign a new centre back. Ramos wouldn’t come so went for Varane. Expensive but should provide much solidarity alongside Koscielny for a good number of years. I also needed a new defensive midfielder. It was between Neves and Carvalho. With United sniffing around Carvalho I went for him. I loaned back Asensio for another season. I also brought in Assamoui to add some more cover in the wing positions. Finally I had no plans to sell Rulli but 34 million for a player I got for free was too good to turn down. Bravo came in for a season or two and will act as cover, Lots of Regens also came in.

Other than Rulli the only major departure was Chamberlain. Barcelona offered 30 million and I was happy to accept. Also leaving were Debuchy, Iwobi and Toral.

[iN] (major)

Rafael Varane - 70m

William Carvalho - 40m

Jorge - 9.5million

Claudio Bravo – 2.3m

Marco Asensio - Loan

Izzmail Assamoui - Loan

Total - 139m

[OUT]

Rulli - 34.5m

Chamberlain – 30m

Debuchy – 7.5m

Iwobi – 2.5m

Toral – 1.7m

Total - 75m

[Elsewhere]

City lost De Bruyne. United lost Depay. Spurs lost Embolo.

Chelsea – Icardi Xhaka Wilson Cedric

Man Utd – Castillejo Berardi

Man City – Willems Alcacer

Tottenham – Barkley Coric

Liverpool – Babacar Digne Vitolo

[PRE-SEASON]

Our Pre-Season included a trip to the USA. Not sure what happened at Houston.

Fleetwood 0-3 Arsenal (O.g Giroud Romero

Houston 3-0 Arsenal

Vancouver 0-2 Arsenal (Morata Pereira)

LA Galaxy 0-4 Arsenal (Giroud 3 Bale)

Preston 1-4 Arsenal (Morata 2 Sanchez Bale)

Emirates Cup

France, Holland and Argentina were represented in Emirates Cup. Monaco the other side. Ajax deservedly winning the final.

SF - Arsenal 3-0 Boca Juniors – Barbosa Morata Jorge

Final - Arsenal 1-3 Ajax - Giroud

SQUAD

Squad for third Season. Koscielny new captain, Ramsey promoted to vc. Wilshere, Pereira and Welbeck in Under 21’s.

GK - Cech - Bravo

DL – Jorge - Gibbs

DR - Bellerin – Chambers

DC - Koscielny - Sule

DC - Varane - Mammana

MC - Toure – Ramsey

MC – Carvalho - Tielemans

ML - Bale – Zivkovic - Azzaoui

MR - Sanchez - Barbosa

AMC - Ozil – Assensio - Cazorla

SC - Morata - Giroud

COMMUNITY SHIELD

ARSENAL 1

Sanchez 68

CHELSEA 2

Icardi 11 Terry 18

Despite dominating the game we fell behind to two early goals and couldn’t recover.

PREMIER LEAGUE

IPSWICH 1

Skuse 73

ARSENAL 2

Ozil 1 Bale 14

We scored just 27 seconds into the new season. Ipswich played well and probably deserved a draw.

EUROPEAN SUPER CUP

VALENCIA 0

ARSENAL 1

Mustafi o.g 29

We added the super cup to our ever expanding trophy cabinet. A very solid defensive display.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ARSENAL 5

Morata 43 51 88 Bale 53 58

MAN UNITED 0

Morata made a poor start to the season with three low key performances but sprang into life as we hit United for five.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ASTON VILLA 1

Benteke 45(+1)

ARSENAL 3

Ramsey 33 Morata 34 50

Dominant. Zivkovic earning man of the match on his first start.

PREMIER LEAGUE

ARSENAL 3

Morata 21 57 59

QPR 0

Morata masterclass.

League Table

1. ARSENAL P4 P12

2. Tottenham P4 P8

3. Chelsea P4 P7

4. Newcastle P4 P7

5. Southampton P4 P7

[Other News]

League Cup 3rd Round Draw – West Brom vs ARSENAL

Champions League Group Stages – ARSENAL Barcelona Galatasaray Kobenhavn

Eeek. First game is Barcelona at home

Morata and Bale were 1-2 in player of the month. Dele Alli won young player with Jorge second. I won the manager award. Bellerin and myself make it an arsenal hat-trick in the monthly awards.

[september fixtures]

League – Watford(H) Bournemouth (A) Swansea (A)

Champions League - Barcelona (H) Kobenhavn (A)

League Cup – West Brom (A)

2015/16 Season Review

A fantastic league season saw us finish 19 points clear of second placed Man City and only two defeats, both away from home - to Man City with an injury hit team in our tenth league game and a shock defeat away to Watford. I think next season if we could repeat our home form and remain undefeated again it would go a long way towards retaining the title.

English%20Premier%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zpsgoasxthw.png

Sanchez, Ozil and Cazorla contributed 55 goals and 30 assists along the way winning Sanchez the Golden Boot and Footballer of the Year and earning all three a place in the Team of the Year alongside Cech and Koscielny. Cech also won the Golden Glove, Cazorla Players Player of the Year, Oxlade-Chamberlain Players Young Player and myself Manager of the Year after dominating the monthly awards.

My highlights for the season were doing the double over Tottenham and Man Utd as well as the fact Jack Wilshere has remained injury free since his return.

In the Champions League, we were very hit and miss in the group stage before a good victory over Atletico but couldn't defeat their neighbours Real who went on to win it.

We won the League Cup with a few tricky ties for the youngsters.

Less said about the FA Cup, the better.

Summer Transfer Window

I am fairly happy with the current squad having shifted Giroud, Walcott, Gabriel, Ospina, Campbell, Elneny and Flamini already.

Next to go will be Arteta, Mertesacker and possibly Gibbs who is not playing much due to the form of Monreal and the signing of Alaba.

As regards incomings, I am not too sure if I will make any first team signings at all.

My main priority will most likely be to sort out the Reserves and Under 18 squads and possibly bring in a few prospects to develop them to be able to replace the older players in a few years when they retire - the likes of Cech, Cazorla, Koscielny - as opposed to having to pay megabucks.

Looking for a similar player to Merts but quicker also must be about the same height

p.s already signed Koulibaly

Kristoffer Ajer is tall, good in the air and very intelligent. He also offers a bit more with the ball at his feet.

2016 Summer Transfer Window

Adding to the title winning squad from the first season was John Stones who replaced Mertresacker who left for PSG. Stones will compete with and rotate with Laporte and Kos for the two centre back spots. Also coming in was Angel di Maria for £10 million plus Oliver Giroud, a great deal considering was not really suited to how I wanted to play and di Maria is much more versatile. Atletico Madrid matched my asking price of £1.5 million for Monreal and replaced him with the transfer listed Fabio Coentrao and young Josh Tymon from Hull. My thinking is Fabio will do a job for 2/3 seasons until Tymon is ready to step up and for £4m for a Portuguese international, I cant complain. Also on the way out were Rosicky, Debuchy, Arteta, Gibbs, Martinez, Gnabry, Szczesny, Aboubakar (a first season signing for £8.25 million, Lazio offered £24.75 million for him and I wanted to give Welbeck more game time), Sanogo and Jenkinson. That leaves my first team squad looking like this:

Arsenal_%20Players%20Players-3_zpsbxjjg5jz.png

Perfect 10 from Alexis puts us top of the league after 7 games!

West%20Ham%20v%20Arsenal_%20Analysis%20Post%20Match_zpsnsuz2y8l.png

2016/17 Mid-Season Report

Top of the league but only 2 points clear of second placed Chelsea and 3 ahead of Spurs. We are 6 points worse off than at this stage last year. Hopefully in the second half of the season we can kick on and retain the title. March will be pivotal to that - us, Chelsea and Spurs all play each other.

English%20Premier%20Division_%20Overview%20Stages-3_zpsoorjawjk.png

Progression through the Champions League group stage was secured a 100% record. We drew Leverkusen in the First Knockout Round.

European%20Champions%20Cup_%20Overview%20Stages_zpsvatlreds.png

The squad are playing well and in decent form, all averaging over 7 bar Cech which I don't see as a bad thing really. When available, di Maria has been on fire!

Arsenal_%20Players%20Players-3_zpslhntgwm8.png

Will update when I finish this season.

Just curious to hear if anyone has managed to get a new stadium as Arsenal? I know it seems a bit silly with the Emirates being so new, but I can't help but be a little envious during away games at Man Utd and their 90,000 capacity Old Trafford. I'm nearing the end of season 12, and I'm allowed to ask for a new stadium (I thought it was 25 years minimum between stadiums, must be 20) but I've been told the board don't believe the fanbase is there. I don't think the cost would be an issue as we had over £500m in the bank at the start of the season, and the club is debt free.

Just curious to know- how long does it take everyone to complete one season on average? Trying to see if my laptop is super slow or if it is ok as it takes me about 20 hours to complete a season.

Does that sound right?

Just curious to know- how long does it take everyone to complete one season on average? Trying to see if my laptop is super slow or if it is ok as it takes me about 20 hours to complete a season.

Does that sound right?

I'm on season twelve, still playing the save I started in beta, Steam says I've played 860 hours, so 71.666 hours for me. :D

In my defence, FM is running in the background while I'm doing other things quite often. I do play quite slowly though, all matches (except pre-season friendlies) on comprehensive,quite a bit of checking all 24 scouts. I haven't tweaked my tactics much in the last eight seasons or so, or my set pieces, though a lot of my team are hitting 31/32, so I may well be making changes soon.

In July of 2025/26 season of of my fm15 save and need to sell a few players in each position except goal I might buy 1 or 2 players in for the senior squad but will mostly(possibly wholly) promote from within

In July of 2025/26 season of of my fm15 save and need to sell a few players in each position except goal I might buy 1 or 2 players in for the senior squad but will mostly(possibly wholly) promote from within

wow my board is miserly only gave me £1.05Bn transfer budget :p

quick update on my 2025/26 season from my fm15 Arsenal save

so far my season is going amazing though its still very early with the exception of a 3-1 defeat to Man Utd in the Community Shield where I played 6/7 reserves/youths I've scored at least 3 per game

my wins so far are 5-1 , 5-1 , 4-0 , 6-1 , 4-0 , 4-2 , 4-0 , 3-0 , 3-0 , 5-1 , 5-1 include in these victories are 5-1 wins over both Dortmund in the Euro Super Cup and Man City in the League

Partly inspired by Ö-zil to the Arsenal and the recent discussion, plus the signing of Granit Xhaka, I decided to start my final FM16 game with an up to date database (including transfers/ability adjustments at all big clubs/new youth players etc), trying to combine my old successful tactic (based on the FA Cup final last year) with some of the ideas from Ozil's, with a nod to the 1997/98 double winners (inspired by Xhaka reminding me of Manu Petit).

Anyway – here is a link to the tactic should anyone want to try it:

https://www.mediafire.com/?xjvyaq10m720yv7

Really liking the look of this tactic ! Did you use any specific OI's? and how did you do your training? :)

Really liking the look of this tactic ! Did you use any specific OI's? and how did you do your training? :)

I let Bouldy handle all my OI's. Re Training, nothing that unusual - focus on fitness and tactical familiarity till both are sorted and then let Bouldy take over, except in certain situations against opponents with a particular weakness.

I really can't recommend the tactic highly enough. Best I've ever come up with. Just had Theo, who hasn't improved in any area at all, bag 50 league goals in 30 league starts and 3 off the bench - and that's despite a slight tail off in form. He is absolutely lethal as a poacher. Still misses chances he shouldn't but with good through balls and good crosses from deep in behind the defence, he just gets to everything first. Sanchez and Welbeck also good for a goal a game. Hector and Mesut with 39 and 33 assists as well. Rambo loves this tactic too. Only real room for improvement is to get more creative passing from deep from the DLP, though Xhaka's early balls to Bellerin/Jenko were vital.

lomekian, which updated database are you using?

A collection of a few from the steam workshop....one of what the latest transfers about a month ago, some that add some new young players, and one from FMItalia which I think I got from elsewhere. Also in the pre-game editor improved 4 or 5 few youth players to -8 and reduced 3 to -7. Only first team changes were a 5 point PA increase to Bellerin, a 5 point CA increase to Monreal, and a 1 point increase to Koscielny's pace. And I boosted Iwobi's PA by -.5

Its why the team's performance with my new tactic is so mental. Walcott and Ramsey absoluely love it, despite being slightly worse than previous years in terms of their attributes. According to the numbers on my game Walcott is worse than on any FM iteration in 5 years but I've never had a goalscoring season like it from anyone since CM3. Almost tempted to buy someone like Higuain or Martial just to see what would be possible!

I let Bouldy handle all my OI's. Re Training, nothing that unusual - focus on fitness and tactical familiarity till both are sorted and then let Bouldy take over, except in certain situations against opponents with a particular weakness.

I really can't recommend the tactic highly enough. Best I've ever come up with. Just had Theo, who hasn't improved in any area at all, bag 50 league goals in 30 league starts and 3 off the bench - and that's despite a slight tail off in form. He is absolutely lethal as a poacher. Still misses chances he shouldn't but with good through balls and good crosses from deep in behind the defence, he just gets to everything first. Sanchez and Welbeck also good for a goal a game. Hector and Mesut with 39 and 33 assists as well. Rambo loves this tactic too. Only real room for improvement is to get more creative passing from deep from the DLP, though Xhaka's early balls to Bellerin/Jenko were vital.

I get outplayed stat wise when I use the "Offensive" option, and I often concede silly goals, and Im not scoring nowhere near as many as you did. Were you using offensive all the time or did you tweak it?

I get outplayed stat wise when I use the "Offensive" option, and I often concede silly goals, and Im not scoring nowhere near as many as you did. Were you using offensive all the time or did you tweak it?

I have it attacking and fluid. If I feel like i'm too open I drop the DLP back to a DM position. What kind of goals are you conceding and what is your first 11? This is built to maximise Cech, Bellerin, Monreal, Koscielny, Mertesacker (though Gabriel or someone like Marc Bartra or ideally John Stones is fine), Xhaka or Elneny (though Coquelin is ok too, especially against stronger opponents, where I prefer him), Ramsey, Wilshere/Cazorla, Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott/Welbeck.

Rotating is absolutely key. And what partnerships you rotate with. If bringing in Giroud up top, I change him to a CF (a) as he lacks the pace to be a poacher, but play Ox in the Rambo role and let him provide more width. Coquelin works slightly better with Cazorla, and Xhaka with Wilshere. Ozil is much much better with Bellerin and one of the pacy strikers, so If I'm rotating I try to bring in Rosicky or whoever when I bring Giroud in, and maybe Jenko or Debuchy at the same time, as Giroud needs better crossing accuracy to score due to his lack of pace (whereas theo just needs quantity....he'll get to one first eventually), and because rosicky breaks into the box slightly more than Ozil and thus provides more support for Giroud. Campbell also links a lot better with Giroud or Welbeck than with Walcott.

But maximising fitness and tactical familiarity are absolutely key.

But this game is all about momentum. Play lots of friendlies. Start against weak opposition and then against stronger teams who are behind you in pre-season timing so you have a fitness advantage. If you can start the season with good form, morale, fitness and tactical familiarity it makes a MASSIVE difference. My results always get a lot tighter at the business end of the season, but if you can start in peak form and fitness you can build up a great head of steam.

And to be honest, I always bring in some freebies and cheapos that I don't care about their happiness just for cup games...just enough to make sure I can always fully rotate against weaker teams. Giving players a rest in Nov/Dec/Jan is absolutely key as well.

I have it attacking and fluid. If I feel like i'm too open I drop the DLP back to a DM position. What kind of goals are you conceding and what is your first 11? This is built to maximise Cech, Bellerin, Monreal, Koscielny, Mertesacker (though Gabriel or someone like Marc Bartra or ideally John Stones is fine), Xhaka or Elneny (though Coquelin is ok too, especially against stronger opponents, where I prefer him), Ramsey, Wilshere/Cazorla, Sanchez, Ozil, Walcott/Welbeck.

Rotating is absolutely key. And what partnerships you rotate with. If bringing in Giroud up top, I change him to a CF (a) as he lacks the pace to be a poacher, but play Ox in the Rambo role and let him provide more width. Coquelin works slightly better with Cazorla, and Xhaka with Wilshere. Ozil is much much better with Bellerin and one of the pacy strikers, so If I'm rotating I try to bring in Rosicky or whoever when I bring Giroud in, and maybe Jenko or Debuchy at the same time, as Giroud needs better crossing accuracy to score due to his lack of pace (whereas theo just needs quantity....he'll get to one first eventually), and because rosicky breaks into the box slightly more than Ozil and thus provides more support for Giroud. Campbell also links a lot better with Giroud or Welbeck than with Walcott.

But maximising fitness and tactical familiarity are absolutely key.

But this game is all about momentum. Play lots of friendlies. Start against weak opposition and then against stronger teams who are behind you in pre-season timing so you have a fitness advantage. If you can start the season with good form, morale, fitness and tactical familiarity it makes a MASSIVE difference. My results always get a lot tighter at the business end of the season, but if you can start in peak form and fitness you can build up a great head of steam.

And to be honest, I always bring in some freebies and cheapos that I don't care about their happiness just for cup games...just enough to make sure I can always fully rotate against weaker teams. Giving players a rest in Nov/Dec/Jan is absolutely key as well.

Thanks for the in-depth reply! I use Morata/Walcott and sometimes Barbosa as a striker, Morata is playing extremely well as a poacher! But I don't rotate that often, my players may get a little tired. But the results may have something to do with that I started to use this tactic early december instead of at the start of the season.

I just finished my season winning PL, Capital One cup and the CL. I am absolutely deligthed and I can't wait to use your tips and get a whole season with this tactic!

hello I'm started a new game with transfer updated up to 20/06/16 can anyone recommend and good free agents?

I've already signed Klose , Andrija Zivkovic & Seydou Keita on frees

Had a proud comeback moment last night in my Arsenal save;

0b875d29a7befbf5058afd014e3e0b27.png

No idea what happened to our fine form going into that game;

ca9c5d5bba671105b4f8a6139274e056.png

But didn't we do well at home, good game good game.

Sorry for late reply, been off FM for while till today, here is screenshot;

260a6c15a959b71f4f1b2459b366d464.png

Played in 3 cup games in each of his first two seasons, plus one league game in 2nd, then played 34 games overall last term, simply outperformed the final season playing Cech, and is now first choice ahead of Rajkovic this campaign. Tis young but came down to simply him performing well, think Cech was injured for while and so he came in for month, then found it hard to not play him ahead of Cech, so had Cech play lesser league games whilst Drago got the bigger fixtures and among them were the CL ones. A must sign imo.

Something similar with Dragowski with me. Bought him first season, sent him on a pretty horrific loan actually, slowly started him in cups. Soon he was decent enough to be my cup keeper so off went Ospina. Then Cech had two serious injuries almost back to back, forcing Dragowski into the starting line-up. Had a shaky start but then he started to do very well, including a very dramatic penalty save to win the Champion's League. When Cech recovered, Dragowski was simply better, though to the big guy's credit he was very gracious about it. He quickly took over as Poland's starting 'keeper as well.

hello I'm started a new game with transfer updated up to 20/06/16 can anyone recommend and good free agents?

I've already signed Klose , Andrija Zivkovic & Seydou Keita on frees

Bring back the legend Kolo!

Finished 5th season in charge. This is my squad;

GK - Rulli, Dragowski, Tininho*

CD - Romagnoli, Stones, De Vrij, Chambers

FB - Alaba, Bellerin, Diogo Dalot, Franse*

CM - Pogba, Ramsey, Geis, Fossum, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Tielemans

AMC - Odegaard, Isco, Ceballos

W - Hazard, Sane, Vlasic

ST - Lukaku, Abderrahmane Mazari*

*:Regen

Coming Transfers; Ruben Neves, Lincoln, Marek Hamsik

Can someone recommend a decent left winger for me? In the second season, Alexis plays on the right for me, I have Zivkovic who was loaned out last year and developed nicely as a backup for the left wing, so just want someone who can play straight away? Preferably with some room to improve.

Budget doesn't really matter, have £80m kitty and more due from sales, I just don't like spending 50-60m on "superstars".

EDIT: Ended up signing Malcom from Bordeuax, has good stats for the position and according to my scouts plenty of potential to grow into so him and Zivkovic can battle out that spot for years :)

Arsenal's new japanese striker, Taukuma Asano, is not even in the database. That must be the first time a signing for a top club that is over 20yrs is not in the game at all. At least I can't find him.

Hello Guys. I am new member here. my favourite team is Arsenal.

here is my archievements in this game i did not have time to play it but now i have vacations and have time to play.

b716ef2528f8.jpg

1363d065e38e.jpg

6b86ae9747f8.jpg

22d53b2daa72.jpg

7d1f018023ca.jpg

Hello all. So, I've gleaned lots of great information on the forums and wanted to offer my humble bit. I'm not an expert but had some real success. Being an amateur manager, long term gunner fan, and the fact that it's a great team to tinker with, here are some nuggets (some are obvious but just collected from different sources).

First of all, Giroud, Ozil, and BELLERIN have been my rocks. Bellerin is going to be your gem. On a 4231 or 4123 system he will just terrorise. Crosses, interceptions, key plays, he even started taking to making it to the byline and then charging into the box when a cross wasnt an option. He'll either knock a goal in or earn a penalty (I think 5 for me in the first season). Even without a cross it is a RARE game he earns under an 8 in an 75+ min game. He does not rate well in bad weather matches though. If he's not performing, just wait. He'll spike from 6.9 to 8.3 minimum in the last 20 minutes of the game when everyone else is tired. He also does not do as well obviously if you're playing a winger, Ox especially as he's an obnoxious ball hog and chance squanderer (Ox is high PA and gets good ratings but squanders a lot of chances to get that rating as opposed to others that may still fail but make a good try of it). So IF's or APs are a great fit. I frequently used Ozil or Ramsey. Both see significant improvements if you intermittently play them wide and train them in the position. Bellerin made 19 assists, 3 goals, and 9 POMs in the division last year (admittedly I was injury lucky with him and he put in 35 apps.

Giroud. He really needs crosses, mostly from Bellerin but when Gibbs asked for more play time and I challenged him to make the most of chances he BLEW up for a good 10 matches or so too. As a TM on support he can just plough goals in all freaking day long. 37 gls, 10 assists. No Im not kidding you. He's a limited use player but with the right pairing he does his job very well.

Ozil is mercifully better equipped this year and significantly more consistent. A few quiet games sure but his key pass and play design is undeniable out of the AMC or AMR. Only 11 assists but a very respectful 7.55 with numerous key passes.

Sanchez is excellent but comes in bursts. Coquelin should be your base obviously, loop Elneny in for breaks and his value will blossom and as much as possible let Cazorla control tempo as DLP. Reine proved another extremely promising youth that loves being tutored by Sanchez. He bagged 4 goals and 1 asst in 5 cup matches.

I trained the 4231, the 4123, and a 343 to use when my fullbacks needed breaks. I took a gamble and didnt bring in another right back so i needed occasional alleviation. Set on slightly high defence, control, fluid, gk distribution, run at defence, higher tempo and mixed passing, retain possesion, play out defence, look for overlap and work into box. Your boys will fight to keep the ball in the enemy's half persistently, your fullbacks will be work horses, and you'll minimise stupid long shots and maximise Giroud which ought be mostly banging volleys in at 6 meters or less.

Ok, transfers, Stones, Rajkovic, Rui Pedro, Youri, with Rugani and Suliman coming in midseason. Spread payments out, Stones Rugani and Youri were all roughly half upfront and the rest over three years to stretch your pound. I really wanted Morata over icardi or higuain as my striker upgrade but he's injured so i tied him down for next season. http://imgur.com/a/fRNUU Rui actually made a decent back up striker to be honest. 8 goals and 3 apps overall in 10 starts and 15 10-30 min sub ins. Rugani did solidly as well and I loaned Youri out for a bit. Rajkovic as well was a better back than Ospina.

I unloaded the worthless Walcott for $26 and his staggering wages and Campbell for 7 as well. I've gotten higher results before but that's the best i could get this time and the funds and wages are needed. Between those and progress in the league I got enough for a very tidy second wave of buys. Because so much of it is spread over 3 years the second season had me very giddy. Just use some good budget sense and you can go on a BIG spending fee. Any funds not being used, move the slider to wages and the board will likely give you more due to your control. There are slight gambles on your DR and your striker. But as long as neither goes out for more than a month you should be fine. I got hit at one point with 6 starter injuries and 5 rotations but still made it through. I also ended up using 30 players over the season. Your youth system has some real depth in it.

http://imgur.com/a/rnyzR This is the event I haven't been able to enjoy yet but... You can see why I'm excited. I grossly splurged on Pogba no doubt but I figured I'd give it a go and lock some high ratings into my midfield for the next 10 years. I also have moved on 3 regens so far.

Invest invest invest in coaches and scouts. Your coaches are criminally underperforming for the status and funds you have available.

I think that's everything, I swept the league and cups with that system, bagged plenty of awards and giroud and bellerin were top of the class. I freely admit I redid 4 different matches a couple of times. 2 I tried ridiculous experimental systems over and over, and then against Bayern (still couldnt win) and FCB. Bayern was just complete kryptonite to my squad, I had zero control. FCB just because I was so stupidly pissed. I had them on every single stat from performance to shots on target of the match but Bravo put in a 9.8 performance and stopped every god damn thing i shot at him and they got awarded 2 penalties. I found that if you run 4231 against them in control, but use Structured and sit deeper, then tell your MC and AMC to disrupt iniesta and busquets you will get a much better result.

If there are any other questions please ask. I just wanted to give back a little from all the great tips I gleaned.

One of the things I love about this game, and gives the first year or two almost endless re-play value...even without the massively dynamic element of transfers, there are almost endless possibilities of set up (and events like injuries/form/etc) that can yield such different results for each player in each game.

When I first started last year it was all about width and Giroud banging in goals. Then I experimented with ball retention and switching play and found Welbeck to be a beast in that system. Finally I tried a set up that would be about quick transitions, overloading central areas and crossed passes from deeper behind the defense and had Walcott score 37 league goals. All systems were effective if the right players were fit and all players could be very effective in the right systems.But equally the results of the same players in the same system are not a constant as dependent on a massively broad array of possibilities.

Most of the time Ramsey slightly underwhelmed for me, but in the right system he was better. But even here, there were massive outliers, with wildly different outputs.

Fantastic.

Entering my third season in charge of Arsenal. My squad is as follows: 

4-2-3-1, of course. 

Rulli

Bellerin/Chambers   Varane/Koscielny Romagnoli/Stones   Alaba/Taylor

Mascherano/Coquelin   Pogba/Renato Sanchez

Alexis/Zivkovic   Ozil/Odegaard   Neymar/Pulisic

Messi/Rui Pedro

Yes, I know. :D