Help with Penetration (in a strictly football sense, of course)

After a bit of feedback on my tactic.

I'm trying to 'learn the art' of tactics, I am playing FMT16 on the Beta because my impression is that there is no issue with tactical familiarity. This is the tactic I am playing:

Club%20Estudiantes%20de%20La%20Plata_%20%20Overview-2_zpsyhztn1e8.png

The idea is that the CMs stay deep, and with the ball the wide midfielders find space between the opposition defence and midfield to link the midfield and attack. The wing backs should come forward in support, but only if it is right to do so and only one at a time. The Defensive Forward is to help out when the opposition plays a midfield 3 by challenging the deeper midfielders. I have a Control strategy to avoid getting pulled apart on the counter. At the moment the tactic is reasonably defensively solid but I am struggling a bit with penetration up front. My main issues are:

1. Very ponderous play from the front 2. I know that a Control strategy will lead to slower buildup play, and that is OK in midfield but there are many times in a match where one of the FCs willl recieve the ball and take 2 or 3 touches, allowing the defennce to reorganise. This is a problem because my lack of bodies up front means I need to take advantage of any gaps the opposition leave. I dont want to play Attacking because I think it would leave me too open, and Counter causes the 2 MCs to sit too deep. Are my roles wrong?

2. The DfF is there to assist with an opposing DM but in Argentina 442 is quite common. I cant get him to drop off the back line into the space enough with any other role, and it makes us too shallow up front.

3. The wide playmakers are trying too many slide rule passes in behind. What I'd like is for more movement from the front 2 to create depth rather than just trying through balls, and they also tend to ignore the WBs overlapping.

I'm not doing terribly, but as someone that really struggles with tactics I would appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone has. Also, I am using the Challenges on FMT as a tactical sandbox, as it throws me straight in the middle of a season and I dont have to worry about tactical familiarity. Is this a good idea or are there any other methods people use to play around with experimental tactics?

Wouldn't describe myself as an expert, but to me you are lacking penetration through the middle - it's all a little predictable. You have wide playmakers, but are then only giving them one real outlet in the Advanced Forward.

As a starting point I would try moving one of the WP's to a Support Duty and making one of the MC's an MC/A to encourage forward runs and someone to get on the end of those slide rule passes.

Well, I do think your CM pair is too conservative, but I think a CM(A) would just be the opposite wrong extreme. Consider a DLP(S) and changing one of your WP(A)s to a WM(A), told to get further forward and cut inside. You do need someone besides your AF looking to score, and it sounds like your strikers rarely have anyone running past them to pass it to. This would remedy that.

I agree with the above. You don't really have anyone getting into the box to get on the end of things, other than your AF.

Other than that... Just a suggestion, and it might not work(!). You could try enabling 'Look For Overlap' to get your wide players to slow things down and look to bring your wing backs into play. That gives you more options in terms of where your supply is coming from.

Try changing your DF/D to DF/S with Moves Into Channels and maybe Roam From Position enabled, this should set them to play a more pivotal role in your build-up and give you penetration through forward runs at the same time once your midfield got into position around the box. Don't rule out manually marking when you identify an obvious playmaking midfielder. And look for players with high work rate and teamwork, since this role isn't at all suited for your run-of-the-mill egoistic village striker. With the right player in place, Defensive Forwards can really shine.

Archived