Sports Interactive Community
Roy Race 9

Useful tips and threads for new editors - 1. Make Backups!

Just a few simple tips I have found very handy over the years and want to pass on to the new editors out there:)

when you make changes keep them change specific ie player ca/pa changes in one file/ club changes in one file/non player changes in one file etc do not make club player changes all stuffed in one big file

that way if there are any issues they are easier to find and resolve:thup:

If you think you might use an in game editor later on..... set up a few transfers using pre game editor in advance. I use obscure teams in countries I will not use and set them well in advance 2020 for example or what ever date you want and for a small amount eg £10,

this way it generate a list of future transfers you can manipulate to set up any transfer you want during the game at any time:thup:

Following on from point 2 if you find being frustrated with AI transfer activity, namely paying mega money for a player 1 year and then not playing him and selling on the next season for next to nothing, or a club selling a key player they wouldn't IRL for little money eg saw Shelvey sold for £5m in last save they then spent £15m on a replacement with lower stats???

To counter this giving players a new contract etc doesn't stop it..................but what does is set up a future transfer using pre game editor again a date well into the future for low fee, it doesn't impact on buying/selling club's finances and guarantees the player stays at his current club for that period

It makes things more realistic for me as I see time after time players being sold at game start who the club would never sell at any price.

Also you can amend/use these ''future transfers'' using an in game editor at anytime:thup:

Hope these assist you in your projects and make FM16 editing a better experience;)

NB backup your edited files just in case they get corrupted etc. I tend to copy the whole edited folder where all my files are and store them on my other hard drive, but I also have various versions of those files if they are large version1, version2 etc etc

for some reason this has been removed from the FAQ so for those wanting to access the advanced rules read below

I have contacted MG sure it will be sorted in meantime for those wanting access to advanced rules use these. Remember the AR are very detailed and complicated at first it has taken many of us long standing editors years to find our way around it. However find a file in downloads forum that is similar to your needs download it and open in editor and see how things are done:D

Remember you can use files created in older versions of the editor(so you will find something out there to suite your needs and most creators of the file will have no issue in you amending their work, just state who initially created it should you pass it on and seek permission first;))

There are some fantastic files here but also search FMBASE and SORTITOUTSI these keep a back catalogue of files

1. Accessing The Advanced Rules (using adding the 5+6 system as an example - thanks to sporadicsmiles)
    Firstly, you will need to add nation rules, select the nation you want (for example England), and select the option 'add lower divisions and cups to existing structure'. Next, you need to switch to advanced rules. You do this by going to the Rules menu and selection 'Convert to advanced rules.'
    Now this will give you a heck of a lot of things under the Advanced Rules panel, but there is only one thing that is of interest to you, so we can ignore almost everything. What is important is the tab called 'England' (or whatever nation you select). If you click on the '+' next to the nation this will bring up a new list full of options. You will be interested in 'Fixture Rules', which again will have a '+' next to it. If we click on this +, we will be able to see all the different rule groups that are used in England. There will typically be one for every competition which has different rules. In the case of England there are 21 different rule groups.
    What we need to do first is find which rule group we need to change! This is easy to do. If you select the competition you want to edit on the lower left hand list, you will see a series of options appear. Clicking on the 'Competition' tab will bring up basic information about this competition. If you scroll down the main panel until you see the 'Fixture Rules Index' tab (which is just under the 'Date Range' box. This tells you the number of the rule group this competition uses. In the case of the premier league it is 6. We can now edit the correct set of rules without changing anything else.
    Going back to the fixture rules tab, we can select 'Rules 6', which tells us all of the information about the squad selection rules for the premier league. You will see that they are the ones you are familiar with in game. There are several options here, and you can explore the rest if you want, but for your 6+5 idea you want to go to the 'Squad Selection Rules' box at the very bottom of the main panel. There are already 2 options in here, about squad size and number of homegrown players. If you click 'add' you will create a new rule. Selecting the box on the left hand side, you get a menu to select what rules you want. You want to select 'first 11 rules -> foreign players in first 11'. You can then select 5 in the 'value' box, and make sure the criterion is 'less than'. You have changed the rules!
    Because you have used the advanced rules, after you save you must verify that your file is okay. This is not hard, but can take 5-10 minutes. Save the file, and then from the Rules manu, select 'Test Rules' and then 'All'. This will run a simulation to ensure nothing crashes and everything works. After this, you should be able to use the file. Repeat as required for whichever league you want.
    View Advanced Rules For Continental Competitions - thanks to kingrobbo
    'If you want to see the advanced rules to e.g. Champions League/World Cup etc just give it a playable nation, then save the file
  2. So if you want to create a file for the major European comps ...search for the comp find it you will see a field NATION and it is blank, put in a playable nation I used BERARUS, do this for the comps you are wanting to access, then save file

3. Go to add lower leagues to that nation then convert it to advanced rules and you will see Champions League rules in the list. This can be done for any continental comp.
    PLEASE NOTE you do not get the same details for international comps you do with continental ones

I have also noticed that some fields in the current editor are causing errors:(

eg affiliations/sponsorship/debts these sometimes are unstable and either there are failed changes or simply you cannot access an entry to edit it

so as a way around it I found if you use the COPY option on a particular page it gives you a fail safe as you can revert back to what it was

but also and this is the best bit should you for example want to edit debt copy page first and encounter a field that wont let you edit or causes an error ....then use the CLEAR list option remove all entries you can then paste the original debts back in and they are all now able to be edited :D

same with the club sponsorship deal/s that for some reason wont allow you to access them or change them, you can once you use that copy option

someone has a thread asking how to get a created player in game without adding all players from that country etc

not ideal but works

if I set up a missing player from an obscure nation I don't want to load all players from that nation etc, set up a future transfer for this player to a bigger club(put a small amount £10 you can amend later and it wont effect club finances ), he will then show up when you load the DB in game

SET THE TRANSFER WELL INTO FUTURE IF YOU DONT REALLY WANT IT TO TAKE PLACE......you can then use a certain in game editor to transfer any other player you want and leave created player at his current club

for those wanting to edit prize money in a saved game it can be done with non SI IGE

It looks like if you activate advanced rules for a comp you can then access prize money in your save via this editor(which is great for those wanting a long save so you can change prize money and not stick to same amount forever:D)

to be 100% sure it will work just do this for nations you might want to edit, and amend the prize money slightly eg add an extra £1 to winner this generates a change in advanced rules to the prize money section and therefore opens this in the IGE. However some have found they can access the prize money in game by just changing/adding anything via advanced rules to a comp......but as suggested I edit the money to be sure;)

Hope users/especially new editors are finding this tips helpfull

In the editor/data/basic comps folder are all the league files. These are the league rules that the games uses.

You can load this files into the editor (import).

When you convert the file into advanced rules you can study how everything is set. This gives you a very good basic knowledge how you could use the advanced rules.

You can also change small things like foreigner rules, substitution, without losing all the other settings. (Save as... the file, if you want to load it into your new game.)

download various advanced rules created files and load them in editor

you will be able to see how things are then set up and what changes have been made to existing structures and give you an insight into what can be done and how to do it

Can I use editor files made with older versions like FM 2015 or FM 2014 in FM 2016?

Files with just database changes could be used in general without any problem. You can also import the file into the FM 2016 editor and save it as a new file.

Even some competition files will work, others have to be edited, most times because new added teams got promoted into a league.

Just try it. Load the file into the game or import it into the editor and verify it.

thanks for making this a sticky Kubi and well done on mod:thup:

for users to be aware a bug that appeared in fm15 after first patch(resolved after last patch)...namely save changes going missing, not there when you opened file after closing the file, is happening again since 16.3 patch

it doesn't always happen but has been reported in bugs

so when you make a change/s check they have a YES showing up under the change section

also when you save check the file and DETAILS it will display the failed changes in the file

you can search under this to find the failed changes

94722c6e32cbdfc2a5eefb3c9f2446df.png

make a note of the number of changes in an edited file when you open it, as you make further changes they will appear in top right of file as unsaved changes, before saving add the 2 up and then see if it tallies with the NEW saved total if not you have issues with the changes being saved

there was/is a workaround not ideal but what seems to work is instead of using save as use the option to create a new file this seems to save all new and old changes(obviously not perfect as you get lots of files.....what I do is keep the newest and the one before, delete the older versions of that file)

at least this way you don't potentially lose hours of editing

save regularly and remember as I pointed out earlier keep files subject specific eg

one file for transfers

one for CA/PA changes

staff changes

stadium changes

this way if you encounter issues in game it is far easier to find/ resolve and as a long standing editor who initially made one file with 100,000 changes covering everything lumping them all together it was soul destroying when this file become corrupt

this way separating files into subjects(up to you what you do)if things change ie a game patch or the worst scenario the file corrupts(very rare thankfully)you only have to redo that specific file not the major issue I had

Also be aware when downloading other users files check them in editor.....some users can genuinely forget they have done something in a file and it may cause at the best an annoying situation or a conflict with other files and be a nightmare if you don't know what the issue is

an example is I used a file with real fixtures a couple years ago the file was a great piece of work but the creator(no not the omnipotent one)

had forgotten to mention he had also created a few missing wonderkids and given a few clubs a financial boost.....not a big deal but I didn't know until well into a game when I was scouting for young players and saw 2 martin odegaards one I had created in my own wonderkid file and the one I didn't know about......

so always check the file you can see in DETAILS section what changes have been made will take a couple of mins to use a custom search to find them, in that particular file found 7 players I had already created so spoilt my game

you can use an in game editor to resolve this to an extent but it is not perfect and it is better to take a few mins checking the file and if unsure ask here or go back to person who made file and ask what they have done

I know we all want to play the game but I have found the old adage is apt for editing fail to prepare, prepare to fail.....it is better to take time setting up your files rather than bouncing back and forth starting save games all the time because you have forgotten things to edit

Happy editing

Setting dates for transfer windows correctly:

When you set the transfer window the editor adds the weekday by default. This works fine for the first season. But after that the start and end of the transfer window will vary, because the game uses the weekday to set the date too.

To avoid this just remove the weekday for the start and the end of the window.

Is it possible to get Gibraltar participating in the world cup qualification?

If you make Gibraltar a FIFA Member and remove San Marino as a FIFA member, Gibraltar WILL participate in the world cup qualifiers. I have holidayed the game and Gibraltar participate in the qualifiers in 2021 and 2025.

Taken from this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/454969-Is-there-a-way-to-get-Gibraltar-the-nation-into-the-world-rankings-world-cup

workaround for future injuries not working in game

this is link to bug report and workaround which does work in game

you can also now use a RTE to add injuries to players in game

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/455791-edited-injuries-not-working-in-game-if-selecting-a-late-start?p=10783734#post10783734

NB ignore the rooney being picked for England squad issue...checking the squad that shows the last one so he wasn't injured

so AI Roy didn't pick an injured Rooney;)

On 19/11/2015 at 22:55, kingrobbo said:

for those wanting to edit prize money in a saved game it can be done with non SI IGE

It looks like if you activate advanced rules for a comp you can then access prize money in your save via this editor(which is great for those wanting a long save so you can change prize money and not stick to same amount forever:D)

to be 100% sure it will work just do this for nations you might want to edit, and amend the prize money slightly eg add an extra £1 to winner this generates a change in advanced rules to the prize money section and therefore opens this in the IGE. However some have found they can access the prize money in game by just changing/adding anything via advanced rules to a comp......but as suggested I edit the money to be sure;)

Hope users/especially new editors are finding this tips helpfull

I found this interesting and how can i do this?

14 hours ago, Branquinho1997 said:

I found this interesting and how can i do this?

cant be discussed here non SI product

have a google of it

For those who want to give yourself lots of cash in the bank/transfer budget/wages etc (its something many do personally I dont see the point but I am not going to judge:D)

This still wont stop you falling foul of FFP etc...to avoid this you need to generate INCOME on a yearly basis so you are better off adding sponsorship deals/tv deals etc rather than just giving yourself a mega balance

This is easy to do via a club's finance tab in the editor(you can obviously remove FFP rules that is explained on the forums)

Another issue users encounter when doing this at a ''lower'' club is they cant attract the better players, you need to increase the club's reputation/ training/coaches etc etc this way you will attract more of the top tier players

NB planning and setting things up pre game is well worth it in the long run rather than rushing into a save and not being happy with 1 or 2 things that could easily be addressed with a bit of forward thinking :brock:

I decided to add some usefull filters to editor. First is filter clubs if they have reserve teams, contact types for squad status and job type:

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305000911.thumb.png.b0ad921da07f9619e6e9cb91f4d7be86.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004715.thumb.png.e005359f7a3a03422ac469496779cf7b.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004442.thumb.png.ed395c8ff9fbf34b8235bfd4c7f28285.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004454.thumb.png.38d91bc273cb080a7fd036bf31776b37.png

These lines should be added to club filters.xml :

for "Reserve teams" filters:

<record>
				<translation id="name" translation_id="292994" type="use" value="Reserve Teams" />
				<list id="fields">
					<record db_field="club,C2ty">			
						<list id="fields">
							<record>
								<translation id="name" translation_id="292965" type="use" value="Team Type" />
									<list id="enum_values" value="rstm" />
            				</record>
            			</list>
					</record>
					<record db_field="club,C2nm"/>	
					<record db_field="club,C2sn"/>
					<record db_field="club,C2rp"/>
					<record db_field="club,C2si"/>
					<record db_field="club,C2at"/>
					<record db_field="club,C2na"/>
					<record db_field="club,C2xa"/>
				</list>
			</record>

For "Contract types" filters:

<record>
				<translation id="name" translation_id="320611" type="use" value="Contract Type for Squad Status" />
					<list id="fields">
						<record db_field="club,Ccsk" />              <!-- Key Player -->
						<record db_field="club,Ccsf" />              <!-- First team -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccsr" />              <!-- Rotation -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccsb" />              <!-- Backup -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccsh" />              <!-- Hot prospect -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccsy" />              <!-- Youngster -->
              		</list>
			</record>
			<record>
				<translation id="name" translation_id="320612" type="use" value="Contract Type for Job Type" />
					<list id="fields">
						<record db_field="club,Ccjm" />              <!-- Manager -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccja" />              <!-- Assistant Manager -->
             			<record db_field="club,Ccjc" />              <!-- Coach -->
           			    <record db_field="club,Ccji" />              <!-- Fitness Coach -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccjg" />              <!-- GK Coach -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccjy" />              <!-- Youth Coach -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccjs" />              <!-- Scout -->
              			<record db_field="club,Ccjp" />              <!-- Physio --> 
            		</list>
          	</record>

club filters.xml is located in Football Manager 2018/data/ comp editor.fmf

You should use Resource Archiver to extract files and after that you can edit every file you want.

BTW you can leave comp editor folder instead of comp editor.fmf and editor will work just fine- this is case for linux so i guess its same on windows.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:11, krlenjushka said:

I decided to add some usefull filters to editor. First is filter clubs if they have reserve teams, contact types for squad status and job type:

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305000911.thumb.png.b0ad921da07f9619e6e9cb91f4d7be86.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004715.thumb.png.e005359f7a3a03422ac469496779cf7b.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004442.thumb.png.ed395c8ff9fbf34b8235bfd4c7f28285.png

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180305004454.thumb.png.38d91bc273cb080a7fd036bf31776b37.png

If i manage to add some other filters i will let you know...

that is really good mate many thanks

any chance to add being able to search using future transfer

11 hours ago, kingrobbo said:

that is really good mate many thanks

any chance to add being able to search using future transfer

I will take a look. All settings with "list" type is imposible to add to filters because its not "linked" directly to clubs. Reserve teams are possible because "reserve team" is added to club and i have something to "link" with.

Like debts - SI added "has debts" filter because its imposible to set filter in regular way- im not sure about this 100%.

Yeah this can be done easly. Some option are added as list type so i cant add them to filter but all main options are ok.

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180306175235.thumb.png.0182795e9ad61eadcee7abe18b57a53b.png

This should be added to person filter.xml in order to have this option:

<record>
        <translation id="name" translation_id="293592" type="use" value="Future Transfer" />
          <list id="fields">
            <record db_field="pers,PFcl" /> 
            <record db_field="pers,PFdt" /> 
            <record db_field="pers,PFed" /> 
            <record db_field="pers,PFtf" />            
            <record db_field="pers,PFwa" />            
            <record db_field="pers,PFjo" /> 
            <record db_field="pers,PFap" />            
            <record db_field="pers,PFgb" />            
            <record db_field="pers,PFcb" />             
            <record db_field="pers,PFpi" />             
            <record db_field="pers,PFwi" />             
            <record db_field="pers,PFfr" />            
            <record db_field="pers,PFrf" />             
            <record db_field="pers,PFpr" />             
            <record db_field="pers,PFec" /> 
            <record db_field="pers,PFns" />             
          </list>
      </record>

6 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

many thanks @krlenjushka I dont seem to have a data folder in FM18 editor??

these are my folders-

ebc3362641de598991af881abeecb012.png

Its now in Football Manager 2018/ data folder

Found an interesting great workaround to keep players at their current clubs for those that want to keep say Kane at Spurs, I posted earlier in thread if you set up a future transfer that will work,

but if that is not for you , it also looks if you edit the date the player joined the club to be several years ahead/and same for date contract signed he will even if  his club accept bids for him not agree to join other clubs even if they are bigger ones as he will say he has only just joined his current one:thup:

I am also using an in game editor to keep changing those dates when a transfer window is coming up, so just experimenting with this,the results are great so far ...even young/old players at lower clubs refuse contracts at big clubs

can others try this and post updates on it as its 100% working for me

Can someone tell me how to change the number of subs in the premier league using the editor if possible :)

4 minutes ago, Hasem said:

Can someone tell me how to change the number of subs in the premier league using the editor if possible :)

read post #2

I've wanted to know how you can change the nations that compete competitions like the World Cup through the editor

I have been editing since 2006, I have always made lots of backups and used cloud/NAS backups...

I was lazy and didn't make a new file after tweaking an edit for a couple of weeks.

I opened it, closed it and tried to open it again... "Cant open file".

It happens to anyone... no one is safe! SAVE OFTEN and make LOTS of new files.

Is there somewhere on the internet or somewhere else a tutorial how to make a tournament 

I have found one but I want to make one with clubs from one country