[FM16] Vitkovice? More like Kidkovice!

dan_simmonds

3sHG47f.png

FC Vitkovic - The Beginning

Season 1 - 2016/17

B9XizUG.png

Little known English manager Dan Simmonds is named as the new manager of recently promoted FC Vitkovice in the Czech Second Division, Fotbalová Národní Liga. Bankrupted and renamed in 2011, FC Vitkovice have had their stadium rebuilt and boast a not insignficant transfer budget. Worryingly for Vitkovice fans, Simmonds intends to grow the club and turn them into perennial contenders by only using youth academy products. Can a team who have such high expectations to reach the dizzy heights of 1985-86, really be expected to grow at the speed required by only strengthing with youth? Simmonds only has a one year contract, so we'll soon find out. Ostrava expects!

First Team Squad

This is an aging squad, with a number of players over forty. There's also a significant amount of amateur players, the best of which will need to be tied down to a professional contract as quickly as possible. Predicted to finish tenth in the league, I'm glad this is a youth challenge because we'll need to overhaul this squad sooner or later. No assistant means no ratings, this is going to be an old school first season, maybe a bit of sprinkling of youth. Ha!

Youth Team

Awful. At least this guy can finish. I need to get a Head of Youth Development asap.

Facilities

Actually not bad for a newly promoted club. I doubt if there's much budget for youth development though, unless I can persuade the board to move some money from the transfer budget. I'm not even sure that it's an option, but we'll see.

Finances

Finances are in a really good place at the moment, and the way I'll be setting up the club and focusing on youth means I'll very rarely make a loss. Redistributing the wealth in the correct way will be crucial for me, but again, that will involve me exceeding expectations.

Tactics

On FM15 my most effective formation was a 4-1-4-1 and I'll be looking to replicate that here. Given the immense challenge facing me and my squad both this season and going forward, being tough to beat is priority number one, but this gives us balance in defence and attack. It could work.

Board Objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Midtable respectability

Ceská pošta Cup - 3rd Round

This season's objectives

Midtable would be nice, but I won't know anything about this team until we get going.

Build a backroom staff

Do well enough in the cup competition

Generate enough profit to improve facilities

That's it.

NB: I've started and failed a couple of these challenges over the years. I'm hoping another country other than England will help me complete it as I won't be able to see how well/badly Arsenal are fairing and the temptation won't be there to start that particular save. In addition, finding a really great regen in my first couple of seasons will encourage me, so keep those fingers crossed. I'm playing to the rules of the FM16 Youth Academy challenge, so my progress will be documented both here (monthly) and there (seasonally).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

History

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Ceská pošta Cup | Europa League| Champions League |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2016/17 | Fotbalová Národní Liga | 10th | 3rd Round | N/A | N/A |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2017/18 | Fotbalová Národní Liga | 11th | 3rd Round | N/A | N/A |
| 2018/19 | Fotbalová Národní Liga | 2nd | 3rd Round | N/A | N/A |
| 2019/20 | Synot Liga | 14th | 3rd Round | N/A | N/A |
| 2020/21 | Synot Liga | 14th | Winners | N/A | N/A |
| 2021/22 | Synot Liga | 14th | 4th Round | Group Stage | N/A |
| 2022/23 | Synot Liga | 14th | 4th Round | N/A | N/A |
| 2023/24 | Synot Liga | 12th | Winners | N/A | N/A |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/Code]

[center][size=4][b]Key Competitons and Champions[/size][/b][/center]

[Code]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Synot Liga | Ceská pošta Cup | Premier League | La Liga | Bundesliga | Europa League | Champions League |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16 | Mlada Boleslav | Teplice | Man City | FC Barcelona | Bayern Munich | Sporting Lisbon | Juventus |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2016/17 | Jablonec | Mlada Bolslav | Man Utd | Real Madrid | Bayern Munich | Arsenal | Chelsea |
| 2017/18 | Viktoria Plzen | Jablonec | Chelsea | FC Barcelona | Bayern Munich | FC Schalke 04 | Juventus |
| 2018/19 | Jablonec | Hradec Kralove | Arsenal | FC Barcelona | Bayern Munich | Leverkusen | Man City |
| 2019/20 | Jablonec | Jablonec | Man Utd | FC Barcelona | Bayern Munich | FC Porto | PSG |
| 2020/21 | Mlada Boleslav | Vitkovice | Chelsea | FC Barcelona | Bayern Munich | Man Utd | Chelsea |
| 2021/22 | Hradec Kralove | Jablonec | Chelsea | Real Madrid | Bayern Munich | Udinese | Man Utd |
| 2022/23 | Mlada Boleslav | Sigma Olomouc | Man Utd | Real Madrid | Bayern Munich | Valencia | Arsenal |
| 2023/24 | Banik Ostrava | Vitkovice | Man City | A. Madrid | Bayern Munich | AS Monaco | PSG |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/Code]

3sHG47f.png

Preseason 2016

CNkJBwg.png

Manager's notes

Considering the start date of the Ceská pošta Cup, there was a very short window for us to have a preseason. In fact, it lasted three games. We got off to an awful start against Kladno, conceding within 2 minutes and not looking likely to get back into it. Next up were Viktoria Zizkov, and again we went down by a goal to nil. A slight tweak to our tactics was required, and we went into our final preseason fixture really needing a win. A shift to 4-4-2 suited the players at my disposal better, and we were better as an attacking force because of it, running out 2-0 winners over Rymarov to finish preseason on a kind of high.

Next month

The season begins with a cup tie. And I'll have a much better idea of how I can expect the team to do.

3sHG47f.png

Staff Update

There were no staff when I took over, so I've had to improvise on the fly. The below are the key members of staff for the team. Bear in mind that I don't have a director of football, so my Assistant Manager, Head of Youth Development and U19 Manager are all crucial to my role and challenge.

Steve Abbott - Ass Man. Crucial to me when I've just taken over a club. This guy though, well he was the best of a bad bunch available when I took over. He'll be here for two years and then be moved on once I have a couple of fantastic regen staff appear. Probably.

Jiri Cisar - Head of Youth Development. Who knows. I won't for a few seasons anyway, and by that time, much like Ass Man, he'll have been moved on.

Lukas Nachtman - U19's Manager. Responsible for playing all four stikers/attacking midfielders I have. He won't come into his own for a little while.

As for the rest of my staff, here's an idea of my training setup. It's not great if I'm honest. Something to aim for though. 5 star ratings!

IbMEpvW.png

3sHG47f.png

July 2016

Fotbalová Národní Liga

dape5Jl.png

The opening day of our season saw us start in the cup, which was strange for me being an Englishman and all, but muddle on we must. We travelled to Vestin, who weren't in the league structure. Our fans expected a first competitive victory, and Musiol got us off to a flyer. Misinsky added a second, Wojnar a third, Schulmeister the fourth and fifth and it was the perfect start to my reign. My first home game and first league game was at home. Karvina were the visitors to the Mestsky Stadion, and I reverted back to my trusted 4-1-4-1 to combat playing at a higher level. The result? A bore draw, but the tactics were working better in terms of chances created than in the preseason. Two games, and the month was over.

Next month

Get three points on the board, and get into midtable.

aEWo5vR.png

Ceská pošta Cup

7anBSPF.png

Manager's notes

14yo Zemanek looks pretty decent, (if you squint and ignore his physical frailties). :thup:

Ass Man isn't great, (but he isn't pants either).

HoYD looks like he needs to be shown the door. (Has anyone ever gone all the way to a Youth Intake without a HoYD?)

Unbeaten in league and yet to concede. ;)

3sHG47f.png

August 2016

Fotbalová Národní Liga

ibdqeIe.png

We travelled to Pardubice for our opening game in August, and soon fell behind. Despite having the better of the chances, we went in at the half still 1-0 down, before conceding a second shortly after the second half began. Schulmeister pulled one back, then promptly got himself sent off. Mininsky wasn't going to let that bother him though, and grabbed us an 86th minute leveller! A hard earned point, but great courage shown by the team. Our fellow promoted side Lokomotiva Vitavin came to the Mestsky, and it was a great chance for us to get some points on the board. Despite reducing the opposition to 9 men, we couldn't find the breakthrough and drew 0-0. Bohemians were the next team we faced, and Musiol got us off to the perfect start, but we conceded just 10 minutes later. Fortunately, I'd had the team concentrate on set pieces, and from a corner Taraba fired in a volley that put us back in front. We were pegged back again early in the second half, and we picked up our fourth consecutive league draw. Our final game of the month saw us travel to Breclav in the second round of the cup. we were expected to win comfortably, so of course we made hard work of it. We eventually came through on penalties, but although we were unbeaten for the month, we'd also failed to win at all.

Next month

Find a win, and take on Sparta Prague in the cup.

8ueXUfS.png

Ceská pošta Cup

diiDbg9.png

Manager's notes

3sHG47f.png

September 2016

Fotbalová Národní Liga

8Kh4zOp.png

For our opening game of the month we faced off against fourth placed Hradec Kralove. Roznik gave the opposition a gift with an own goal, but Schulmeister pulled one pack just before the half. We fell behind again early in the second half but not for the first time this season, we found a late leveller. Musiol keeping our unbeaten record intact. Switching to a 4-4-2, and still needing a win, we faced rock bottom Ceske Budejovice at the Mestsky. Schulmeister gave us the lead, and we held on for a priceless first win. Fresh off our first league win of the season, Opava were our next opponents. Taraba gave us the lead just after half time with a tap-in from a corner, then Wojnar doubled our advantage and we took our second win in a row. Arguably the most well known Czech team, Sparta Prague were our visitors in the cup and we set out to provide our fans with a giant-killing. We were outclassed, and it shows the level we're going to need to get to, to become the force I hope we will, however this might take a few seasons or ten. We returned to action in the league against Vlasim, hoping to bounce back from the first defeat under my management. We fell behind early on, but just after the hour firstly Sverkos equalised and Misinsky scored a winner, bounce back achieved. The last game of the month saw us face Frydek-Mistek at the Mestsky, and Zemenek getting his first start got his first goal. We controlled the game from then on, before Wojnar put the icing on the cake. We finish the month at the top of the table.

lrLR8FZ.png

Ceská pošta Cup

sI3EwTk.png

Manager's notes

Next month

Keep the good times rolling

Editor's note: I had a crash at the beginning of the next game so had to replay the last two games of the month. Ultimately I'd ended up 3 points better off and at the top of the table because of it. I'm taking it though, as I might need a bit of luck.

3sHG47f.png

October 2016

Fotbalová Národní Liga

BbWmIO7.png

October began with a trip to Trinec. Ofori scored an own goal to give our opponents the lead just before half time, and we suffered our first league defeat of the season. Varndorf were a lowly 15th in the table, and we needed to keep picking up points to ensure our midtable position. Schulmeister gave us the lead, before we fell behind. Sverkos equalised and we picked up another crucial point. Taborsko were our next opponents, and yet again we fell behind just before half time, but this time we struck back instantly and Taraba bagged the leveller in first half stoppage time. However it wasn't to be, and we conceded early in the second half and lost again. Our final game of the month, saw us take the lead in against Slavoj Vysehrad. We conceded the equaliser midway through the first half, and then capitulated. We eventually fell to our third defeat in four games.

Next month

Arrest this slide, and get ourselves back up the table. We also have our rival battle with the team that share our ground, Banik Ostrava

ORDyIhH.png

Manager's notes

3sHG47f.png

November 2016

Fotbalová Národní Liga

SjeGirc.png

VzOUgSk.png

Manager's notes

We needed to pick up some early points before the winter break with a big rivalry game the following week against Banik Ostrava, we welcomed Usti nad Labem. After dominating the first 20 minutes, we typically found ourselves a goal down at half time. A rocket duly administered to the team at half time, and Musiol squared the game up just 3 minutes after the interval. We eventually picked up a hard earned point and got ourselves ready for the derby. We were designated as the 'away' side for the first derby of the season, but we seemed to get home advantage with an early penalty which Misinsky duly dispatched. Unbelievably, we had a second penalty shortly afterwards, this time however Misinsky missed, and we missed a great opportunity. That came back to bite us in the second half, but we had another point and we hadn't lost face in our city rivalry. Our last game before the winter break saw us take on Pardubice, and it was important to end the first half of the season on a high. A bore draw followed, but closer steps had been made to what we were looking to achieve.

Next month

Spend the winter break training, keeping fit and getting ready for a big second half of the season.

3sHG47f.png

Winter Break 2016/17

qGGiUfP.png

Manager's notes

3 winter break friendlies all at home, and the first one was against Cesky Tesin. Misinsky gave us the start we'd hoped for, before Schulmeister doubled the lead. Kovar lobbed in a fluke, before a horrendous goalkeeping error allowed substitute Sverkos to put his name on the scoresheet and we had a comfortable start to our warmups. Hulin were the next visitors, and we immediately looked to put them to the sword. Schulmeister gave us the lead after just 4 minutes, but the second goal didn't come although a comfortable 1-0 win did. Slusovice were our final opponents, and Schulmeister again gave us the lead. An own goal from a corner was our second goal, before Musiol grabbed a third. Sverkos came off the bench to bury a penalty, and we headed into the second half of the season in high spirits.

Next month

Lower league opposition were selected in our Winter Break warmups, and duly dispatched. We need a strong secong half to the season and hope for a great youth intake.

3sHG47f.png

Youth Intake 2017

wPIal5t.png

An excellent first intake, with a number of players who we'll be looking to expose to First Team football as soon as possible. I'm particularly excited by Sadek and Musil who could form a fantastic CM partnership, whilst Novak may well be retrained to become a DM as I didn't get a single one in the intake!

Prospects

1. Petr Sadek

2. Vojtech Zacharias

3. Vlastmil Musil

4. Jiri Silhan

5. Jiri Novak

3sHG47f.png

March 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

F9g1Jsg.png

lCrnIod.png

Manager's notes

The winter break had been kind to us, and we headed into the second half of the season in bright spirits. We didn't have to travel far for our away game, as it appears we share the stadium with a third team! Karvina welcomed us, and we fell behind to Urgala's 14th goal of the season. I wish I had a striker that could score 14 goals. We conceded a second in the 60th minute, and slumped to our 8th successive league match without a victory. We travelled to capital city Prague to take on Lokomotiva Vltavin, and yet again fell behind early on before conceding a second inside of ten minutes. A third goal followed and we were in free fall. Bohemians were our next opponents, and after some whinging about the pitch before the match, we found ourselves ahead after a penalty by Misinsky in the 11th minute. Bohemians hit back just before half time, but after a calm half time chat, Musiol gave us the lead for the second time in the match, and then gave us a 2 goal cushion. We finally had a win, and switching to a counter attack seemed to have worked. The penultimate game of March began with the visit of Hradec Kralove, and Musiol grabbed his 3rd in 2 games to give us the lead after 11 minutes. We were pegged back instantly by the visitors, and after a bit of arm wrestling Husar got himself sent off for two bookable offenses, before Hradec broke out hearts with a 90th minute winner. The game itself ended on a low, but we were playing a lot better. Our final game of the month saw us visit Ceske Budejovice. We were comfortably beaten despite Musiol's late consolation, and whilst we were almost certain to not be relegated, I just wanted the season to be over.

Next month

Get enough points to get us safe and start blooding the youngsters.

Good to see a couple of these already.

A few more have popped up since the game went gold! :D

14yo Zemanek looks pretty decent, (if you squint and ignore his physical frailties). :thup:

Ass Man isn't great, (but he isn't pants either).

HoYD looks like he needs to be shown the door. (Has anyone ever gone all the way to a Youth Intake without a HoYD?)

Unbeaten in league and yet to concede. ;)

Zemanek has disappointed so far, but he's been coming off the bench a lot. He'll have a far more pronounced role next season.

You'll win one day :D

We did, but then it took a little while to get one during the middle part of the season.

Looking forward to following your progress! Zemanek looks pretty good if played to his strengths, perhaps in some kind of poacher role, especially for a 14 year old. I see he has already scored as well. Congrats on the award.

Thanks! I hope you keep following.

3sHG47f.png

April 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

QnxYZ9K.png

gbKZ2eE.png

Manager's notes

The visit to Opava saw the introduction of Petr Sadek to the First Team. Unfortunately, we soon found ourselves behind but Musiol who was in the form I'd hoped to see at the start of the season levelled things up. That's how the game ended, and we maintained our cushion on those below us. Relegation threatened Vlasim were the next visitors to the Mestsky, and Ciganek gifted them the opener. Fortunately, Schulmeister grabbed an equaliser and we were at 1-1 inside of 10 minutes. Then my future showed up. With Musiol substituted due to injury, Zemanek played in Sadek and he grabbed his first goal for the club. Sadek then setup Schulmeister for his second of the game, and a star had been born. Unfortunately that star dimmed a bit in training during the week, as he tore a hamstring and would miss the rest of the season. Trinec were the next bit of relegation fodder that we faced, and Zemanek scored his second of the season to give us the lead. He then doubled his tally for the day, before Trinec pulled one back to make it interesting. We were able to see out the game, and had another vital three points. Our final game of the month saw us take on the third team in the relegation battle, Varnsdorf. Unfortunately a team fighting for their life is dangerous, and we dropped the game to finish the month uncomfortably in midtable.

Next month

Make sure we stay up, see if we can get some of the youngsters some playing time

3sHG47f.png

May 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

h9bCFgk.png

jZdn2ki.png

Manager's notes

The final month of the season saw us take on high flying Frydek-Mistek and a debut handed to Musil. We conceded a goal from a corner just after the hour, and despite our best efforts we weren't able to snatch an equaliser. Slavoj Vysehrad were our next opponents and we travelled to Prague to concede, from a corner, again! Sverkos came off the bench to pull one back late on, and we had another crucial point to try and keep ourselves out of the clutches of those below us. With a surprising gap of just two days (the smallest gap we'd had all year was 4) before we took on Usti nad Labem and Sverkos fresh off his goalscoring exploits in the previous game bagged the opener. Silinger scored a late penalty that had been earnt by Zemanek and we were safe for the next season. Our final two games of the season would see us at home, firstly against Tarbosko which played out as a goalless draw. The final game of the season was a derby, in which our opponents were looking to wrap up the league title. Unfortunately, we weren't able to stop them, but their win gave us motivation to take our challenge to the next level in the coming seasons.

Next month

Preseason, youngsters, clearing out the old guard. It's going to be a fun summer.

3sHG47f.png

FC Vitkovice

End of Season 1 - 2016/17

Fotbalová Národní Liga

We had a great start to the season, an incredibly poor middle and a not bad end. A mid table finish was nice, but now we need to build on that. Another season of consolidation and another year for the youngsters to grow in stature and I hope to see us slightly further up the table next season.

Ceská pošta Cup

We met our targets, before falling to First Division and perennial powerhouse Sparta Prague. All in all, exactly what we needed to do.

Transfers

No transfers, as part of my challenge

First Team

Key Players

1. Petr Wojnar - MC - He made our midfield tick over all season long. He's going to be a big piece of the team for the next few years and a huge asset when it comes to tutoring Sedak and Musil.

2. Jan Schulmeister - MR - Worked hard to learn how to play deeper, and responded with a fantastic campaign. 8 goals from the right hand side, but he'll have to improve his assists next season.

3. Ales Taraba - MC - Wojnar's partner in crime, but he's going to struggle to find lots of playing time next season with Sedak and Musil breathing down his neck for playing time.

Youth Team

A lot of the youngsters that came through have already been moved into higher squads. We're going to start stocking this team up over the next few years and hopefully find a gem or two.

Best Three 'Yoofs'

1. Petr Sedak - MC - The future of this team. He broke into the first team, but suffered from a torn hamstring before he had the chance to make a massive impact. There's a spot in the team that's his to lose, it's up to him to make it count.

2. Jakub Zemanek - ST - He's had issues this year with inconsistency, but he's pushing hard. He'll backup Musiol, and with Musiol's injury record will no doubt get a chance to shine.

3. Jiri Novak - DM - Although a CB by trade, I see him as the solution to my DM problems. He's being retrained, and looks likely to be the first choice in that position next season.

Youth Intake

It was a pretty decent intake, Sedak, Musil, Novak and others all looking like they'll be able to contribute in one form or another.

Facilities

No updates to the facilities, as the board won't let me. We'll see what we'll be able to do in the next season or so.

Finances

We lost nearly 1M over the course of the season. I'm not sure how we're going to break even until we reach the league above and even then Europe is likely to be our major money spinner.

Board Objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Midtable - Achieved, and we hope with some more to come.

Ceská pošta Cup - Third Round - Again, achieved and we went as far as we could reasonably expect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Ceská pošta Cup | Europa League| Champions League |
| 2016/17 | Fotbalová Národní Liga | 10th | 3rd Round | N/A | N/A |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/Code]

3sHG47f.png

Preseason 2017

cv5gLCi.png

Manager's notes

Our preseason opened up with a goalless draw against Chropyne. Our next opponents were Hranice, and Musil & Schulmeister gave us an early lead. Hranice pulled one back midway through the second half, and then equalised with just 5 minutes to go. we finally got our first win of the preseason against Lipnik, with Kocourek and Musil scoring the goals. Schulmeister scored after just three minutes against Mikulovice, before Zemanek finally got on the scoresheet for his first goal of the preseason, swiftly followed by his second. Mikulovice grabbed one late on, before Valenta coming off the bench scored his first goal for the first XI. Our penultimate preseason game saw us take on Novy Jicin, and Sedak gave us the lead just before the half. Valenta got his second in two games, and we had a comfortable win and our third in a row. The final preseason game came and our visitors were Mohelnice. We ended the preseason with a goalless draw, but went into the season proper unbeaten.

Next month

Start the season, and see which of the youngsters will make the step up.

3sHG47f.png

Start of season two - 2017/18

First Team Squad

We haven't lost anyone that we didn't mind losing. There's a batch of youngsters in place now, all of whom will be looking to make their impact on the team, but the core of the team remain. The issue is that some of the senior first team members are all coming to the end of their contracts, and key players including Schulmeister and Ofori won't consider signing a new deal yet.

Transfers

No transfers as part of my challenge.

Key Players

1. Jan Schulmeister - MR - He was crucial last season on the right hand side. I'm hoping he improves his assist total in our second season though.

2. Petr Wojnar - MC - The engine in the engine room. He keeps us ticking over and he's fantastic in all facets of the game.

3. Zybnek Musiol - ST - When he was fit, he looked like he'd finally got used to the way we played. Then he got injured, again and again. Zemanek will have chances if Musiol can't stay fit.

This season's objectives

Board Objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Avoid relegation

Ceská pošta Cup - 2nd Round

This season's objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Avoid relegation - I expect us to do better than this but all the board care about is staying up. I'm ok with that, but I want our players to give it a much better go.

Ceská pošta Cup - 2nd Round - I expect us to make the third round considering the draw that has been made.

Invest in the youth facilities at some point.

3sHG47f.png

July 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

vuRTiF8.png

We opened up the season with an away cup game against Zapy. Misinsky grabbed our first goal of the season, before doubling his (and our tally) just two minutes later. Laciga got his first goal from right back for the club, before Zapy pulled one back. Musiol then got himself on the scoresheet, and we saw out the victory for a good start to the season. Newly promoted Kolin were our first league opponents, but Sadek gave them a taste of things to come with his first goal of the season. They levelled it up with a fluke, but Zemanek came off the bench to grab a 90th minute winner and a well deserved three points.

Next month

Continue our good start, and hope that we continue to see positive performances from the youngsters.

eVIufz2.png

Ceská pošta Cup

eK6C6m5.png

Manager's notes

3sHG47f.png

August 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

uObZHvY.png

Musiol gave us the lead in our first game of the month against Varnsdorf and following an intense last 30 minutes, we kept hold of our 100% record. Slavoj Vysehrad were the next visitors to the Mestsky, but neither team were able to break the deadlock and the game finished 0-0. We faced Usti nad Labem in our third match of the month, in which Schulmeister gave us the lead after 15 minutes. Misinsky doubled our lead just before the hour, and we took our third win in four. We rounded off the month with our second round cup match away at Breclav. Ciganek gave the lower league side the advantage when he put through his own net in the second minute, but Musiol levelled after 30 minutes. Zemanek came off the bench to grab his second last minute winner of the season and put us into the third round.

Next month

Just keep picking up points and take up the challenge of facing higher league opposition in the 3rd round of the cup.

YcsSXX5.png

Ceská pošta Cup

GU66l11.png

Manager's notes

3sHG47f.png

September 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

Jrf4SEx.png

AJPuY1A.png

Ceská pošta Cup

NJ5OdJ5.png

Manager's notes

September brought a visit to Taborsko, and a dull 0-0 kept our unbeaten record intact. We followed that up with a game against relegation threatened Pardubice, and found ourselves behind after 25 minutes. It was a shock to suffer our first defeat of the season in a game I'd expected to win. We tried to get back to winning ways against Bohemians, but Chory gave the visitors the lead. Schulmeister levelled things up with 20 minutes to go, but neither team were able to grab a winner. Synot Liga side Brno came to visit us in the 3rd round of the cup, and the opposition took the lead after 18 minutes. We held on, and even had chances to level but eventually conceded a second just before the hour to bow out, even though we'd matched the side from the league above and even scored a consolation, they were just far more clinical. Our return to league action left us needing a first win of the month to keep pace with the leaders at the top of the division, interestingly, sitting in the opposite dugout was the former Arsenal player, Tomas Rosicky. We proved to be as good as each other, and a 0-0 draw rounded off the month.

Next month

Get back to winning ways.

3sHG47f.png

October 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

JvpZhtg.png

XSKpeAz.png

Manager's notes

October brought a spate of games that we would need to continue to pick up points in to stay in the very tight bunch at the top. We faced Hradec Kralove in our first game of the month, sitting just one place above us, but fell behind in the 19th minute. Musil levelled the game up at the half hour mark, before Hradec retook the lead just a few minutes before half time. We conceded a third just 15 minutes from the close and seemed to be in a similar mid season slump to the season before. Ceske Budejovice were our next opponents, and a dull game was punctuated with a rare goal from Daniel Kocourek off the bench before the visitors equalised instantly. We were hit with a sucker punch with 7 minutes to go, but not for the first time, Zemanek came to the rescue with a late leveller. Our encounter with Pribram saw Zacherias make his debut for us in goal, but the young keeper was beaten in the 35th minute and so were we. We were Most desperate for points against the next visitors to the Mestsky (Get it? Anyone?) but found ourselves behind again early on. We conceded a second in the second half, and I could only watch as my team continued their freefall down the table. We were raviged by injury, but we wouldn't let that deter us. The last game of the month saw us travel to Opava and Schulmeister gave us the lead. We conceded the equaliser, and went in level at half time, but then went behind at the hour mark and finished the month just outside the relegation zone.

Next month

Work out how to start picking up points before the winter break.

3sHG47f.png

November 2017

Fotbalová Národní Liga

vQoGTnw.png

a3Nj3uo.png

Manager's notes

Musiol got November off to the perfect start with his first goal in forever. Unfortunately the defense hadn't read the script and made two poor errors to leave us behind at the half. Another defensive mistake by Silhan and we'd lost four on the trot. A horrible start followed against Frydek-Mistek before Musil equalised for us at the hour mark and we snapped our losing run. The final game before the winter break would see us take on relegation rivals Kolin with a disgruntled dressing room on my hands. Musiol the ringleader had been dropped, but we carried on and Misinsky gave us the lead after just 2 minutes. Schulmeister doubled our advantage 10 minutes later, before Kocourek and Schulmeister again wrapped it up late on. Our first win in 13, and a morale boost heading into the winter break.

Next month

Relax during the winter break, play some friendlies and pick up some form.

3sHG47f.png

Winter Break 2017/18

iiSPhZw.png

Manager's notes

Lower league opposition for our winter break friendlies, and as has become my custom, all at home. Schulmeister gave us the lead against Brumov, and then grabbed a second within a minute. Zemanek put his disappointment at not being allowed to talk to a Synot Liga club aside to grab a third, before I made my half time changes. Musiol did his best to get back into my good books with a fourth, and then won and converted a penalty. In our second winter break game we fell behind in the first half, but after my half time changes, Musiol grabbed the equaliser before Schuster grabbed a tap-in to give us a victory. In our third and final warm up, we fell behind as usual. Early in the second half, Musiol continued his good run with his 4th in 3, but we finished our break with a disappointing draw.

Next month

The next youth intake is upon us, and we look to put some distance between us and the relegation zone.

3sHG47f.png

Youth Intake 2018

CM8MsLj.png

Another great intake for us, with some very exciting prospects in there. Mezlik will fill the squad hole likely to be left by Schulmeister, whilst Kuchar will likely find some time to develop for a season in the U18's. Cerny is the most first team ready of the team, but he heads into a congested midfield in competition with Wojnar, Sedak and Musil so may find first team opportunities limited for a season at least. Jelinek is a strange one, and ultimately may head up playing as a centre forward, whilst Malina makes my decision to push Novak forward into DM look like a genius decision. Others could make an impact, but we're still woefully short of any (and even potential) quality at right back.

3sHG47f.png

March 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

3G0LZsP.png

5HAU1Jw.png

Manager's notes

We resumed league action after the break with a match against Varnsdorf and we found a dull game punctated by a single goal from our opponents. Knowing this was our run of games in which we'd be playing our relegation rivals, we looked to pick up a much needed three points against Slavoj Vysehrad but instead found ourselves on the wrong end of a humbling defeat. Rosnik made a poor mistake to gift Taborsko the lead before we then conceded a second. Novak grabbed his first goal for the club from a corner, but we weren't able to find the equaliser. A must win game against Usti nad Labem followed, as beating them would give us a 9 point cushion over the relegation zone. We fell behind early on again, but then equalised from the spot before falling behind instantly. Schulmeister pulled another equaliser out of the bag, before we won another penalty to take the lead. We conceded another late goal though and had to settle for a point. We took the lead through Schulmeister against fellow strugglers Bohemians, and we held on, right until a 91st minute leveller. We were gutted, and had missed out on a prime opportunity to put distance between ourselves and the drop zone.

Next month

Get enough points to keep us safe.

3sHG47f.png

April 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

Y9IMKIP.png

GQbhdrz.png

Manager's notes

April and the run in kicked off with a game against Pardubice, and Schulmeister gave us the lead after just 3 minutes. Musiol doubled our advantage half an hour later, and then added his second and the goal drought was well and truly over. We had a comfortable win and the best possible start to our biggest challenge of the season, we were up against it in this next run of three games, as we played 2nd (Ziln), 3rd (Ceske Budejovice) and 1st (Hradec Kralove) to round out the month. Wojnar gave us the lead against Ziln just before half time before a Husar cross was turned into his own net by Zyro, and we wrapped up the game and back to back victories. We ground out a 0-0 draw against Ceske Budejovice to take our unbeaten run to four, before facing off against top of the table Hradec Kralove. Their class showed through, and although we had chances, we succumbed to a disappointing defeat to finish the month in 12th.

Next month

Get enough points to keep us safe.

3sHG47f.png

May 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

ERwV1EH.png

SQ8tIKD.png

Manager's notes

Our tough run continued in May as we travelled to 4th placed Pribram hoping to consolidate our 12th place, but took a blow as Zemanek was forced off in the 24th minute with hamstring issues. His replacement Musiol came off the bench and opened the scoring just after half time. We held on for a 1-0 win which would prove to be crucial. Musiol scored again against Opava, and we had back to back clean sheets and 1-0 scorelines. Our third game in a week saw us play Most, and our legs eventually ran out as our opponents scored with 10 minutes to go and we weren't able to find a leveller despite our domination with 5 shots on target to their 2. Our penultimate game of the season saw us take on Lokomotiva Vltavin, and Ciganek did his best to give our opponents the victory with an own goal after 12 minutes. Schulmeister equalised instantly, and then early in the second half turned provider for Musiol. We had another victory, and were on a roll. The curtain fell on our season with a game at home against Frydek-Mistek, and Misinsky gave us the lead with an absolute thunderbolt from 25 yards. Our opponents equalised just after the half, and we finished at a goal apiece and the season in 11th.

Next month

Time for a rest, and then preseason. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be doing that without a couple of our key players who are unlikely to renew their contract with us.

3sHG47f.png

FC Vitkovice

End of Season 2 - 2017/18

Fotbalová Národní Liga

In a carbon copy of last season, we had a great start to the season, an incredibly poor middle and a not bad end. If we can find some consistency, then I'll back us to do well, but we can't keep having these poor periods in October, November and March.

Ceská pošta Cup

This year we exceeded our targets, and made it to the third round. We fell out of the competition to Brno, but found ourselves with some hope that we'd be able to fight against these teams should we ever get promoted.

Transfers

No transfers, as part of my challenge

First Team

Key Players

1. Jan Schulmeister - MR - 9 goals and 7 assists in 32 games was an amazing return from midfield. However, I've upset him during the season by not pandering to the team, and he's refusing to discuss renewing his contract with us.

2. Vladimir Misinsky - ML - He's spent the last two seasons learning how to play deeper and rewarded us with a good season. He's under contract for another season, and with Schulmeister leaving will be a crucial part of the creative hub.

3. Jiri Novak - DM - My first shining light of a youth player. A central defender who we've retrained and he was fantastically consistent all season.

Youth Team

A lot of the youngsters that came through have already been moved into higher squads. We're going to start stocking this team up over the next few years and hopefully find a gem or two.

Best Three 'Yoofs'

1. Jiri Novak - DM - I've already covered him, but it's impressive that he's already one of my best players.

2. Vlastimil Musil - MC - Sedak's injury issues saw him get a chance and boy did he take it. He'll be ahead of Sedak in the pecking order next season.

3. Petr Sedak - MC - A horrendous season of injuries for him has seen his development stunted. He's under stiff competition from the likes of Cerny for a spot on the bench.

NB: 'Yoofs' are defined as 19 or under in the Simmonds school of management.

Youth Intake

Another good intake, and Meslik, Cerny and Kuchar in particular all look like they're going to be challenging for a first team spot within a season or two.

Facilities

Still no updates to the facilities, and we're in even further financial trouble. We really need to get promoted at some point.

Finances

We only lost 21k over the course of the season, but there was some injections of cash by the board. They've responded by cutting my wage budget, and with two of my highest earners off the books, we might just be able to get underneath that.

Board Objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Avoid relegation - Achieved, and a mid table finish to boot. For a long time in that middle part of the season I really thought we were in trouble though.

Ceská pošta Cup - Third Round - Again, achieved and we went as far as we could reasonably expect.

3sHG47f.png

Preseason 2018

sE9nEz2.png

Manager's notes

Our first preseason game saw us fall behind to Brumov, before Wojnar equalised. My usual raft of substitutions saw my first team squad begin to take shape as we looked to fill the holes left by the likes of Schulmeister and Musiol, Valenta put his name into the ring with his first goal of the preseason, and then made sure I was taking notice with his second. Our game against Hranice saw Zemanek get off the mark for the season, before we conceded from a corner for the second game in succession. Misinsky put us ahead from the spot and then Kaminek scored our third. The second half saw a goal apiece, and Valenta continue to stake his claim for a starting position. We continued to build up towards the season with a game against Bruntal and Zemanek got a goal in the second successive game. Palicka scored from a corner, before Schuster did likewise and we wrapped up a comfortable victory. We looked good, but decided to test ourselves a little bit more with a game against recently relegated Kolin. We've developed a nasty habit of conceding from corners and it raised its' head again. We conceded a second early in the second half, before Sadek pulled one back and Schuster equalised and we took away a creditable draw. Cerny, making his first start of the preseason and Kaminek gave us a 2-0 half time lead against Prostejov. Schuster kept the pressure on Kaminek by grabbing a third early in the second half and we continued our excellent run. Zemanek kept up his excellent run in the next game against Hulin, as did Schuster as my youngsters really began to put their stamp on this team. A 2-0 victory left us with just one preseason game to play, and we duly dispatched Dukla Hranice with goals from Cerny, a penalty from Misinsky and Valenta to round off what was an impressive preseason.

Next month

Hopefully we make another flying start.

3sHG47f.png

Start of season three - 2018/19

First Team Squad

There's no two ways about it, there are two gaping holes in this squad left by the departure of Schulmeister and Musiol. Kamenik and Schuster will compete for the right hand berth, whilst Zemanek will get the first crack at replacing Musiol providing he remains at the club. Elsewhere, there are more and more YP's making it into the squad, and will get another season of development in terms of training and occasional first team football.

Transfers

No transfers as part of my challenge.

Key Players

1. Petr Wojnar - MC - Tweaks to the formation in the second half of last season seemed to release him to play his very best football. He dovetails well with Musil, Cerny and Sedak, and that midfield trio including Novak will prove crucial to our success next season.

2. Jakub Zemanek - ST - He's got a lot to prove this season. He's angling for a move to a bigger club, but considering he only scored three goals last season he's going to have to be a lot better than that to step up to the level he wants to play at.

3. Prince Ofori - DC - The lynchpin at the heart of the defence. We need to continue to defend well and he's the biggest part of that.

This season's objectives

Board Objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Avoid relegation

Ceská pošta Cup - 3rd Round

This season's objectives

Fotbalová Národní Liga - Avoid relegation - Another midtable finish would be acceptable to me. Anything else is not good enough.

Ceská pošta Cup - 3rd Round - I expect us to make the third round again.

3sHG47f.png

July/August 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

qcW9Jdh.png

uGPlfTD.png

Ceská pošta Cup

8ltjrjo.png

Manager's notes

We only had one match in July due to the World Cup (incidentally won by Colombia), and it was our opening cup match of the season. Our opponents, Blansko were expected to be brushed aside, and Wojnar opened the scoring with a 25 yard rocket in just the 3rd minute of the season. Kaminek then scored his first ever goal for the club, before Zemanek got his season off to a flyer despite picking up a rib injury. Valenta then came off the bench to grab his first ever goal for the seniors, and we had a comfortable start to the season. Our opening league game was against newly promoted Bohemians Prague, but despite dominating the game, we struggled to create chances and break the deadlock. It was the same story against Slavoj Vysehrad, and then we took on Tarbosko. Despite looking solid defensively, we weren't creating enough. With this in mind we switched to a 4-4-2, and were rewarded by a fabulous team goal capped off by Valenta. Tarbosko hit back five minutes later, before Valenta put us back in front as the half hour approached. Valenta then turned provider for Schuster to put us two ahead. Taborsko got a late consolation, but it was a good win for us. I don't particularly enjoy conceding two goals though, so it was back to the 4-1-4-1 with some tweaks based upon what we'd learnt from the 4-4-2 for defensive stability against Usti nad Labem. Wojnar gave us the lead in the first half, before late on Valenta ran onto a through ball from Kolar to grab his 4th in 5 and we finished the month in 2nd.

Next month

A difficult cup tie awaits against recently relegated Slovacko, before we continue to try and keep our unbeaten record in the league going.

3sHG47f.png

September 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

VwjlFtK.png

irjEC9J.png

Ceská pošta Cup

4Cb4mNY.png

Manager's notes

Valenta continued his fine form with the opener against Slovacko, before Wojnar grabbed our second and we had a great victory against a team expected to be far better than us. Karvina were the visitors to the Mestsky in our first league game of the month, and with Ofori and Misinsky missing, we ground out a credible 0-0 draw against the recently relegated side. We travelled to Pardubice and after a dull first half, Kaminek gave us the lead immediately after the restart and we ground out yet another positive result. Zemanek gave us the lead against Bohemians, followed by Musil. Valenta then came off the bench to grab the third, and we had another comfortable win. For the third season in succession, we played a higher league team in the cup. Sigma Olomouc were our opponents, and duly blew us away with a 3-0 victory. The final game of the month saw us in a top of the table clash against Ziln, but we lost our second straight and fell to fourth. I could only hope this wouldn't lead to our annual collapse.

Next month

Pick ourselves back up after a couple of difficult games, and stop the mid season slump.

3sHG47f.png

October 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

awC6CCF.png

xTgKAsQ.png

Manager's notes

We opened October with a game against Viktoria Zizkov, who topped the table. We ground out another respectable 0-0 draw with an excellent performance. We replicated that effort against Pribram, before we took on Opava. Zemanek and Valenta worked in tandem up front and it was this combination between the two that gave us the lead after just 24 minutes. We took another excellent win, and then rounded off the month with a game against Slovacko. Valenta and Zemanek combined again to give us the lead, and we held on for another 1-0 victory.

Next month

Keep the pressure up on those above us, and make an unlikely bid to be top at Christmas.

3sHG47f.png

November 2018

Fotbalová Národní Liga

NRUU0x6.png

V2Hq8hf.png

Manager's notes

November began with a visit to Lokomotiva Vltavin, and a dull game was punctuated by Valenta coming off the bench and giving us the lead with 13 minutes to go, before a wicked deflection from a long shot gave our opponents a share of the spoils. We took on Most at the Mestsky next, and fell behind after 10 minutes. Schuster making the start on the right hand side, drifted in at the far post to equalise, before Zemanek won a penalty which was duly converted by Wojnar. Zemanek then scored himself late on to round off an impressive victory. We faced Frydek-Mistek next and a very even game ended in a 1-1 when Valenta equalised. We fell behind to Bohemians Prague in our final game before the winter break, Valenta equalised, again, before 'keeper Vojtech Zacharias pulled off a fingertip save in the 92nd minute to earn us a point. We finished the first half of the season 3rd, and 6 points off the top.

Next month

Look back at a good first half of the season. 3rd and thinking about promotion, rather than in a slump and looking over our shoulders.

3sHG47f.png

Winter Break 2019

c4lQfju.png

Manager's notes

Our usual winter break was scheduled with three games against lower league opponents. Drawing 0-0 at half time, I gave the first choice XI 15 minutes to turn it around. They obliged when Zemanek opening the scoring and we saw out the 1-0 victory. Amazingly the exact same thing happened against Hranice. Zemanek gave us the lead, but this time Pacholik doubled our advantage and the win. Zemamek had a first half hattrick against Prostejov, then Valenta got in on the act to give us a 4-0 half time lead. All the subs were made at half time with a week until the season began, and Kocourek gave us a fifth with a 25 yard thunderbolt.

Next month

Get ready for the second half promotion push and welcome the new batch of youngsters.

Great thread. :thup:

Cheers! Glad you're enjoying it.

Great to see Zemanek performing! I always look for him in your updates. I expect great things from the young kid :D

Switching to a 4-4-2 definitely helped, but I have an issue in that he now thinks he's too good for the club. This could be his last season with us.

Archived